Office Depot

2.8
1,405 Reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith
Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • Positive attitudes and customer service create an upbeat work environment (in 57 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career (in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants (in 63 reviews)

More Highlights

Office Depot is a good place to work at

Former Employee - Vice President, Internal Control  in  Mumbai
    Former Employee - Vice President, Internal Control in Mumbai

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Office Depot is a Highly Ethical Company and believes and follows a high level of Ethics.

Cons

Decision making is fairly slow in most large Organizations.

DVD

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Cuddalore
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Cuddalore

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for less than a year

Pros

it is work my fave rate department. any way happy my life run on this time and luck search job

Cons

down side it is work my fave rate department. any way happy my life run on this time.good time

Advice to my downside work people Truly mater

Great

Former Employee - Manager  in  Ghansoli
    Former Employee - Manager in Ghansoli

I worked at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Corporate Policies & Procedures r at International Grade

Cons

Losing good people in the competition

Training & Communication

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

6 years in at Office Depot

Current Employee - Department Manager
    Current Employee - Department Manager

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Management takes their job seriously and Office Depot puts effort into moving their managers careers along.

Cons

High turn over with hourly associates. Most are college students just waiting to move on.

Incredible time spent here in this fun, results-driven, progressive sales environment.

Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Sales Manager in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Company values are solid and non-negotiable. Merger is going much smoother than anticipated with synergies already being realized. Opportunities are always available for innovative, hard working employees.

Cons

Although it has improved greatly during my tenure, our advertising and brand recognition continue to come in second place to our largest competitor.

Good people, bad hours

I worked at Office Depot part-time

Pros

I worked in copy and print. The management was great and gave me the tools I needed to be successful there. I enjoyed my coworkers and problems were always handled well. They stuck to their policies which I appreciated.

Cons

The hours were really inconsistent and the pay wasn't great

Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good, solid co-workers. My goals have always been clear, but that might be cause of who I report too. Others mileage may vary due to their "boss".

Cons

Not many, typical corporate complaints, politics, etc, but you get that everywhere, HQ or retail.

Treat your employees well and allow them to soar. Not every new employees should have to hop to another company to get a pay raise.

I worked for about a year at the company as a cashier, moving up to head cashier within a month along with tech support.

Former Employee - Head Cashier/Tech Support  in  Coon Rapids, MN (US)
    Former Employee - Head Cashier/Tech Support in Coon Rapids, MN (US)

I worked at Office Depot part-time for more than a year

Pros

Managers were willing to negotiate pay and hours easily, relaxed environment.

Cons

Assumed to know everything about store management/employee procedures, weird company policies that may/may not defy common sense and logic.

All of the managers I had were friendly and nice, the only thing I would suggest they pay attention to would be to make sure employees are kept knowledgeable with current company policies.

Under-appreciated sales people - missing strong identity

Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III  in  Traverse City, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Customer Service Specialist-III in Traverse City, MI (US)

I have been working at Office Depot part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Excellent customer service program. They have very flexible business policies. Management adopts a common sense attitude toward business. Real reasonable business men. Periodically there were quantity and product line combination commission programs on software, PCs, furniture and phone accessories.

Cons

Lack of strong brand identity. Missing both a symbolic and/ or unique idea to identify with strongly. Poor pay and benefits. We had to make a certain percentage of "attachments" to sales before making commission on those sales.

Get more involved and just be more supportive. They were there but it was always "just another day" for the most part.

Company that is successfully merging with Max and changing things for the better.

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Baton Rouge, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Baton Rouge, LA (US)

I have been working at Office Depot full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Dynamic, fast-paced, changing workplace. Lots of room for local advancement. Good benefits for full-time associates. I miss overtime, but it is nice having time off.

Cons

They recently cut all overtime, even for Assistant Store Managers. Department Managers are now called "Lead Sales Consultants". There doesn't seem to be an emphasis on training, it is all OJT depending on how busy a store normally is. Work-Life balance is good. Three weeks of vacation after five years of service.

It would be great to reinstate overtime when the new company is done merging, although I bet that doesn't come back. It would be a big morale booster. Continue the new commission program. Please consider expanding it or increasing it in some way. Let us wear navy blue and khakis like Office Max does.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!