Office Depot

Updated Jul 22, 2014

2.8 1,333 reviews

Office Depot Chairman & CEO Roland C. Smith

Roland C. Smith

Pros
  • The company is dedicated to customer service, so you definitely learn how to deal with people(in 55 reviews)

• Work/life balance is heavily weighted towards life; working from home readily accepted(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is not concerned with anyone developing their career(in 64 reviews)

• Minimum wage employees are hard to get great results like the company wants(in 63 reviews)

1,333 Employee Reviews

Office Depot is a good place to work at

Vice President, Internal Control (Former Employee) Mumbai

ProsOffice Depot is a Highly Ethical Company and believes and follows a high level of Ethics.

ConsDecision making is fairly slow in most large Organizations.

DVD

Assistant Manager (Current Employee) Cuddalore

Prosit is work my fave rate department. any way happy my life run on this time and luck search job

Consdown side it is work my fave rate department. any way happy my life run on this time.good time

Advice to Senior ManagementAdvice to my downside work people Truly mater

Great

Manager (Former Employee) Ghansoli

ProsCorporate Policies & Procedures r at International Grade

ConsLosing good people in the competition

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining & Communication

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Rewarding Opportunities with Plenty of Chances for Career Growth

Director (Former Employee) Boca Raton, FL (US)

ProsGreat work environment, benefits, and pay

ConsLike any big company, it can be a challenge to get everyone on the same page

Great Company

Sales Consultant - CPD (Former Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsCustomers are great. Training opportunities.

ConsSome employees were not motivated to work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHigher more mature and enthusiastic people.

Only care about getting the extra sale. Not about the customer

Sales and Freight (Former Employee) San Antonio, TX (US)

ProsNice and friendly people to work with.

ConsThe main manager would hound me about making the extra sales. I would get add ons but that doesn't mean to them.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf a person isn't doing what you need them to do then figure out where they would be most effect.

Great company to work for!!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat job if you are tech savvy, or wish to become tech savvy! Plenty of employee's willing to assist you in learning the ins and outs of computer's and software's. Offers many perks, health and life insurance for full time, as well as offers credit union enrollment. Room for advancement

ConsNot that this is much in the way of a con, must be a people person and customer service be a priority to you.

A great environment and great diversity. Poor benefits with very few hours and often understaffed due to lack of payroll

Customer Service Specialist I (Former Employee) Madison, MS (US)

ProsFriendly, helpful co-workers. Great diversity of co-workers and customers. Clean, organized environment. Cross-training is supported and encouraged. Many locations for transfers if needed.

ConsThe benefits are poor, insurance is pricey and inadequate. The hours are very lean and unpredictable from week to week.

Office Depot/Max Copy Center Associate

Senior Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsAs far as big box retail goes Office Depot is par for the course. You have the potential to learn a lot skills in the copy center but don't expect much in the way of training. In my store it was trial and error process. One of the best things is the chance to do a lot of networking with local businesses. Full time employees do get paid time off and benefits are 90 days.

ConsChronically understaffed and no incentive to make the sales goals don't make a very happy workplace. They do have a commission plan for selling service plans but if you work in Copy Center then you will have next to no opportunities to sell them. For many customers you regularly go above and beyond the call of duty with no return. If you are doing any kind of design work they need to be paying at least $11 an hour. Most customers don't understand that their projects take time and as an employee you often do not get long stretches of uninterrupted time to work on them. Something that should take 20 minutes often ends up taking 2 hours since you are constantly stopping to help out on the registers or act as customer service desk.

Extreme emphasis on getting perfect online customer surveys. The survey is a 1-5 scale and many of the questions asked are about things that are outside of your control. Getting a 4 on the survey counts the same thing as a 1. Demanding perfection is unreasonable. Pay is low, raises are yearly and are capped at 6%.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay your employees what they are worth and streamline processes. I shouldn't have to jump between two completely different computer programs just order anything. Oh and don't send out newsletters about how the CEO is climbing Mt. Everest while I'm struggling to make ends meet.

Fantastic

Store Manager (Former Employee)

ProsDiversity, competition, fun, customer focused, products, team mates.
    Corporate advocates and resources truly wanted to help stores learn and grow.
    Very supportive corporate team.

ConsAs with any retail company and we all know they are all like this, reducing payroll increasing tasks on middle management.
    Store Managers need a better schedule with everything they do and sacrifice for their OD team.

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on your customers, your middle managers and your associates it makes it all worth it and so much fun.

Worked for Office Depot? Contribute to the Community!