Office of the Governor of the State of California

Not yet rated.

Aaron McLear

Appointments Intern - Good place to start state politics

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California

ProsPolitics, obviously. Great people, wonderful supervisors. Everyone looks out for one another

ConsSorting mail never ends, phones can be difficult to manage with multiple (upset) callers, formal dress for an otherwise "smart" data entry job

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep it up.

Fast-Paced, Fun, and Challenging Work Environment in California Governor's Office

Head Legislative Intern (Former Employee)
Sacramento, CA (US)

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California as an intern for less than a year

ProsGreat experience overall, good work team.

ConsLate and long nights, but thats what its all about!

good

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Prosbenefits , i made a lot of friends

Conscuts in gov service is bad for everyone in california

Advice to Senior Managementtrain employees

Great experience working in a professional setting.

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California

ProsAble to work with a very diverse group, many different departments, great benefits, and superb events.

ConsVery few room for growth, budgets cuts, most if not all employees gets cut after the governor's four year term ends.

Great place to work if come in senior enough

I worked at Office of the Governor of the State of California

ProsThe California Governor's Office offers nearly unfettered global access to information, people, and businesses relevant to the functioning of the State's government. You'll get comprehensive benefits and work with very well connected individuals who can help further your career interests. There are few other jobs in which you can see the results of your work on the front page of the LA Times the next morning. Very rewarding.

ConsDuring my time in the Governor's Office, I only saw a handful of people earn promotions within the Administration. It was much more common to fill vacant senior positions from other branches of government or the private sector. This limited the mobility of the staff and led to a large amount of turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Governor has accomplished some truly historic initiatives during his time in office, and I would work diligently to ensure that the policies put in place are continued into the next administration, especially as involves environmental legislation. Also would appoint a replacement for Chief Justice Ron George before the next governor comes into office.

EASY TO GET IN--HARD TO GET OUT--OR UP

Manager I (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

Prosbenefits, training, variety, job security

ConsIf you end up with mangement that are good ol' boys, you are not likely to get promoted if you don't fit in.

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your staff

IT Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

ProsGreat first line management. Good training if there is time do to under staffing we often miss training opportunities . Good benefits. Opportunities are there but you must be aggressive. Fortunately I am happy with where i currently am.

ConsNot enough backup in positions. Budget problems. Lack of information that could effect you job or employment. Dress code for employees that work as labor should allow for jeans and tee shirt. We are required to set up and move computers. We have to work in Communication closet and run network cables yet have to wear slacks and collard shirts while performing thies duties

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep workers informed of passable decisions that might effect the job. Allow employees in on the decision making process.

Could be a nice place to work, but unions and management create a distrust amoung themselfs.

Info. Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsJob Security, benefits and Pension

ConsHard to advance. Wages vary among departments for the same Job. larger departments paymore and then smaller departments. Smaller departments payless, for doing the same job as in a larger department and with less support and training. Larger means more important.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the exam process or centralize it with resources, you already have the interview and probationary period.

If you like stress with little outcomes, be part of a politician's office

Senior Staffer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Office of the Governor of the State of California

ProsIt is fun working for Arnold. He is dynamic and engaging. However, the rest of the Governor's Office it totally disfunctional. Too many opinions. Too much politics. Little emphasis on public policy. The office has disperate opinions and often just those closest to Governor have his ear -- meaning his wife first and his chief of staff second.

ConsThere is no clear direction. It seems that on any given day, there are about 100 fires to put out; literally and figuratively. There are no policies truly committed to. There are a lot of ideas and very poor implementation of those ideas. Working with the legislature is totally ineffective. Most Members have difficulty finding the bathroom, yet alone know how to work toward policies that really help the people. This makes work in the Governor's Office unbelieveably frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a plan. Stick to it.

Worked for Office of the Governor of the State of California? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Office of the Governor of the State of California reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Office of the Governor of the State of California CEO Aaron McLear. All 9 reviews are posted anonymously by Office of the Governor of the State of California employees.