OfficeMax

www.officemax.com

OfficeMax Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

Roland Smith

Pros
  • The work-life balance changed with the season (in 25 reviews)

• Most of the associates that you work with are fun to work around (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Naperville HQ closing as position relocate to new Office Depot Office Max HR in Boca Raton (in 38 reviews)

• During that period the number of upper management roles continued to grow (in 36 reviews)

More Highlights

Values and Ethics. Low Pay.

Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Chandler, AZ (US)

ProsGreat people, Fun Atmosphere, Nice products, Work-life balance is really good and They really work around your schedule. Its perfect. Especially if you're in school; College or High School.
    You learn about sales, inventory, truck, product displays and management, sets of EC, POG, TECH, and well theres so much I could mention but you really do learn a lot from this enviroment. If you like to start drama and just wanna play around I SUGGEST YOU GO ELSEWHERE. You can joke around and have fun but don't start FIRE and expect to get off easy. Communication is really IMPORTANT. You can always ask QUESTIONS.

ConsLow Pay when you do so much work.
    If you start off as Cashier all I have to say is ask to do something otherwise you'll get bored ASF.
    Due to Customers Feedback (Negative especially),
    OfficeMax MaxPerks Card - MaxPerks need to show rewards or points on cashiers screen
    instead of having customers check and print them out..

Advice to Senior ManagementIts not advice to Management because they actually do a lot and pay well attention. its more of advice to HR and OMAX in general because if you really want to keep good employees you should pay more because its not enough and I know a lot of employees complain about it but employees especially Sales Associate and Sales Consultants should get paid more than a measly... minimum wage. The raise is alright but its like a couple of cents. Like c'mon really? Also, I noticed customers are always complaining about the rewards program. Many employees and even customers have tried to talk about how they're rewards don't show up on the cashiers screen and that other retail stores FOR EX., CVS, Walgreens, Staples, etc. While we as a company cannot even tell our customers how many points or rewards they have. I can't tell you how many customers complain about the MAXPERKS CARD.

Very good place to work

Director (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsGreat group of people working in tough industry.

ConsWaiting for the company to merge and find out who had jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementNone-Thought they did a great job

Found some amazing mentors and learned a lot

Account Manager (Current Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

ProsIn my group they understand work life balance. The personal growth is very strong in my department and we support each team member's success.

ConsSome of the leadership is questionable.

Advice to Senior Managementlearn to be in a role that is best suited for you instead of pretending to understand

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good Place To Work

Electronics Department Manager (Current Employee) Buford, GA (US)

ProsManagement is flexible in scheduling and considers employee based needs in regards to hourly adjustment as necessity demands.

ConsI have no complaints with store operations or management

Advice to Senior ManagementImplement or increase employee discount program.

I've really enjoyed working for OfficeMax

Impress Supervisor (Key) (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsFriendly co workers and good managem t.

ConsLow pay. Recent manager re-sturctuerment means loss of jobs and even lower pay!

My experience was very positive.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsPeople were great to work with. The culture is collaborative. There was a focus on integrity, ethics and doing the right thing.

ConsOfficeMax was the third largest player in an industry facing a number of secular challenges. The challenges include people using less office supplies, furniture and equipment, combined with increasing internet competition.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop a strategy to overcome the secular issues facing the business.

Good college job but a bad post college job

Impress Associate (Former Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

Pros>It’s a good job for when you’re in college, your can set your own hours that you are available.

>It’s a good place to start when you’re a graphic designer; you get to learn the print side of things.

>You get to learn how to use and do maintenance on printers, small and large format laminators, hole punchers, and binders.

>You learn how to make booklets, calendars, large format banners, and other things.

>You learn about different types of paper.

>It is one of the few retail jobs where you can sit down.

Cons>The pay is horrible and the raises are not good. Which is not good when you have a student loan and rent to pay.

>If they don’t have enough people hired your screwed especially if your evening shift. A few too many times I’ve ended up having to do register and Impress. Then straighten and clean the whole by myself.

>There is usually only one impress associate on duty which is not good when rush comes. Or you have a very large project to do (which you will always have every other week) and customers keep coming in for the rest of your shift.
    There is only one computer, so if store associates or tech associates need something printed you have to stop what you’re doing.

>None of the store associates understand that just because something is not due today or tomorrow impress still immediately has to get it done so we don’t get backed up. Far too many times I’ve had the sales specialist managing that day make me do store related chores because the project I was doing was long term. Even after my supervisor had explained to them that I needed to get a certain amount of that project done that day.

>Due to the merging of max and depot now whenever someone comes in one of use has to describe them and say where they are going each time they go into a different sector of the store. We also follow them to ask what they need. This of course is very stalkerish and has already gotten one of our associates in trouble with a customer. This is also extremely aggravating when we have a rush or worse a busy day because you will hear nonstop chatter in your ear.

Advice to Senior Management>Please stop trying to cut peoples pay, you are making hard work employees have no other option but to quit.

>Please start putting two Impress associates on duty; this is a two man job.

>More computers so tech, store, and impress all have their own.

Horrible Pay for A lot of Work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThey had flexible scheduling and worked around my college schedule.

ConsI had to do a lot of work, basically be a graphic designer for customers, for little pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay more and you will retain more employees.

Good, not great

Manager, Home Office (Former Employee) Shaker Heights, OH (US)

Prosprofessional working environment, nice professional cooworkers, HR department does a good job taking care of their employees

Conshigher turnover than I would expect for a professional workplace with good paying jobs. Also higher stress level since officemax seemed to always be playing catchup to staples, walmart office supplies, etc

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen I was there it seemed there was a lack of a clear strategy

Love the Company

Sales Consultant (Current Employee)

ProsI like how the company cares about its associates, as well as the customers. You are recognized for your accomplishments.

ConsThe company is too driven on selling protection plans on electronics. Some customers just don't want them. The merger is devaluing employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about making numbers for the day and focus on the customer experience.

Worked for OfficeMax? Contribute to the Community!