Ohio State University

Ohio State University Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Ohio State University Interim President Joseph A. Alutto

Joseph A. Alutto

Pros
  • Great benefits (both health and education), good people, good as an entry level job(in 22 reviews)

• great work environment and full of opportunities(in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is low but at least you're not going into debt for it(in 15 reviews)

• Work environment is not very good(in 6 reviews)

Best place to work!

Project Manager (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsGreat people and management team. Good work and life balance. Excellent benefit packages.

ConsMay need to play multiple roles in a project team. But this could also present great opportunities to learn something new every day!

Advice to Senior ManagementMore opportunity for resource sharing across campus.

Great School to work for

ProsGreat benefits. Good support for you by the university. You have excellent job security.

ConsThey are very constrained by their own framework and refuse to change it. Many of the policies feel archaic.

Good Atmosphere, Disjointed Administration.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe atmosphere, network (of your department and outside), resources, and general life of the campus as an employee are all quite fascinating.

ConsThe administration may be wonky at times due to being such a large and compartmentalized institution. It may also seem hard to distinguish yourself or to consider if there is room for potential growth. Such is a critique of both general university professions and of Ohio State in particular. I attest to the latter on the grounds that the big university setting creates for, at best, significant reliance upon luck and happenstance; and, at worst, some rather fine politicing.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer more positions to students and compel students to work. Many of the students I have seen do not work as undergraduates. This has a horrible effect on students' abilities to articulate what they want, to grow, and to be ready for other tasks; even if it within a path that they have chosen. There is an ample pool from which to draw this work force. It is constant. It is massive. It is plausibly enthusiastic. It is perhaps the case that positions are not too readily available as an option, nor are they supported by sufficient incentive.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good part time work for students

Site Assistant (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsThey will work around your class schedules pretty painlessly. Allows you to make your own hours. They know that school takes the priority.

ConsBalancing work and school can be fairly stressful. The pay is not very good. Would help if there were some extra benefits like a reduction in the cost of a parking pass.

Advice to Senior ManagementDoing a good job.

Great

Prosconsice, good benefits and fun

Consslow process, boring people long

The Ohio State University

Junior Admissions Counselor (Current Employee)

ProsIt offers a great working environment, benefits, office, retirement, and football tickets! I feel like I'm a part of a large family here and there are always new faces to meet.

ConsEmployees get away with leaving the office early and going on useless, unrelated office trips (Ex: Hobby Lobby, day vacation places that are hours away). Even though the supervisor knows it, the trips and goofing off never stops.

Advice to Senior ManagementFire the bad, keep the good. Keep up the great work of pulling people aside to talk to them rather than address the entire group.

Enjoyable

Postdoctoral Researcher (Current Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsGreat benefit, good resources, good people.

ConsPostdoc pay is not good

Ohio State University is a fine institution to work at with many different areas of interest and specialty.

ProsOhio State University is multi functional. There are many different areas of advancement and always is possible as long as hard work is shown.

ConsA large institution such as the Ohio State University tends to let you feel falling through the cracks and unnoticed.

Nothing unexpected

Grader (Former Employee) Columbus, OH (US)

ProsGrading is regular work that can be done at home.

ConsVery boring and repetitive work.

Loved my part-time job.

Psychology Lab Assistant (Former Employee) Marion, OH (US)

ProsGood benefits, even though I was part-time.
    Flexible hours.
    Wonderful work-study opportunity.
    Helped gain experience in my future field.

ConsThere was a lack of direction--I didn't know what I was doing from day to day until I got to the lab.
    I couldn't transfer jobs when I switched from a branch campus to main campus.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

Worked for Ohio State University? Contribute to the Community!