OneBeacon

2.5

OneBeacon President, CEO, and Director Mike Miller
Mike Miller

Claims Adjuster

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodbury, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Woodbury, NJ (US)

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Everybody knew what they were doing and were highly competent. I received a lot of useful experience. Managers were highly skilled and mostly supportive.

Cons

High stress, rigid, sometimes awkward environment. They used a lot of temps because the claims department was never adequately staffed. Lots of turnover and management would cut to keep the department bare bones. I once received over 10 slip/fall cases on a single day during winter season when we had a lot of snow/ice cases. Management was aware of the backlog and that we couldn't evaluate the rest of our cases properly, but the management reviews in the files and audits did not reflect the situation we were in as they still wanted 100% compliance even though that would have meant we'd have to stay late every day. I'm not one to complain, because any examiner knows that there are peaks and valleys in claims handling, but there was never a "slow period" at this company to catch up on because the department was never staffed enough and they'd simply let the temps go when they weren't needed. A claims job for a general liability company that requires thorough contact and policy analysis can't work if the examiner is always backed up and has to cringe every time the phone rings when someone wants to know the status of their cases and you can't simply tell claimants and insureds that I didn't get to their claim yet because "I'm busy."

They cut my line about 6 mos after I left the company so who cares.

Massive bureaucracy, little work

Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Canton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Technical Consultant in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at OneBeacon as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Long deadlines, light work load, old code base. Not technologically demanding. Easy hours (bankers).

Cons

Basic wall cube farm, very little oversight, work can get boring. Office culture is that of any typical large insurance company. Hard to get any new work done, or change any existing systems. They are still using dBase, FoxPro, and SQL2000. Um, it's 2014, might be time to upgrade. Product team seems to be moving in 100 directions at once, which has the effect of leading the developers down a trail and then having to change course in the middle.

Massive infrastructure and code upgrades needed. Talent is stale and there is massive technical debt as more complex projects are applied to the obsolete codebase. Root out and destroy the bureaucratic management and product team which is severely impacting quality of work.

Loved it for many years, but the last 3 were miserable

I worked at OneBeacon

Pros

During the last 3 years, the benefits to working at OneBeacon was a fair salary and an easy commute.

Cons

There were a number of layoffs during the recession, which I understood, but I feel that the layoffs went too far. Several people who had unique skill sets & knowledge that was still needed were let go, which left many people doing work that was above their job level, experience & qualifications. The people that were retained had to take on not just more work, but more difficult work, resulting in poor performance. People weren't allowed to work overtime to catch up, so a lot of things just simply didn't get done.

Your employees are people, not machines. Treat them as such.

Worst experience of my life

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are some good, knowledgeable people here.

Cons

Horrible HR practices. I was accused of something I didn't do. Proper investigation would have proven that. I was advised that it was too costly and time consuming to do so. I was not terminated but they "put a note in my file" and somehow this confidential matter leaked out of HR, became common knowledge and I became a pariah.

Send your HR folks to classes on compliance, confidentiality, and proper investigation.

Review

Former Employee - Claims Representative in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Claims Representative in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good hours flexible hours no micro managing

Cons

Poor pay and compensation no opportunity for growth

think of the little person

Great Company

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Canton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Nice managers, pay and benefits

Cons

Location on 93 mad the commute pretty rough

OneBeacon has been a great place to work.

I have been working at OneBeacon

Pros

OneBeacon has been a great place to work. I’ve always felt both challenged and supported. I will be starting a position with a new company at the end of this month but will take all that I’ve learned and the relationships I’ve made with me.

Cons

The company had been in transition for a number of years but that is mostly in the past at this point.

Being let go after 20+ years of devoted service

Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Programmer/Analyst in Philadelphia, PA (US)

I have been working at OneBeacon full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Allows some telecommuting depending upon location

Cons

Was a good company until they changed direction and decided to outsource a lot of IT functionality to the Phillipines. They are letting go a lot of experienced people that they could spend a few dollars to retrain. Not good for America.

You don't have to follow the pack. Do what's right for American workers.

OB is OK

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Canton, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Canton, MA (US)

I worked at OneBeacon full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The finance department has some pleasant people to work with. Management appears to care about helping you develop professionally and be healthy.

Cons

The company was going through a lot of changes when I worked there. The pay is low and since they went public they were doing everything possible to bring down their expense ratio, aka laying off a lot of people and taking away a lot of employee benefits. The finance department doesn't have much room for growth. It also had a very political feel to it.

Lack of direction and focus

I have been working at OneBeacon full-time

Pros

The pay is good, however that is how employees are lured in

Cons

Management and leadership is constantly turning over so the direction and vision are always changing. It feels like non-leaders are put in leadership positions so that executive management is not challenged. The front line staff is overall bitter and disengaged. There are constant layoffs that deeply affect morale. Employees are lured in with amazing promises which are immediately broken once a contract is signed.