Opera Solutions

Opera Solutions Reviews

Updated Apr 14, 2014

Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann

Bernhard Nann

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire"
    in 8 reviews
  • "Not a strict 9 to 5 office structure; work from home encouraged"
    in 6 reviews
Cons:
  • "Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management"
    in 9 reviews
  • "Seemingly global company working in Big Data does not seem to be able to grasp how to coordinate multinational projects or confcalls"
    in 5 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A good place to start up

Software (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for less than a year

ProsYou can work with people from other countries. A good place to learn something about big data and machine learning.

Consdon't pay for overtime.Still a small company. lack of work-life balance

Lots of experience that will be taken with me

I have been working at Opera Solutions

ProsThe variety and level of clients we work with is pretty amazing. Anything from a smaller company in a rural setting to a fortune 500 company right in NYC. Not only that, but there are healthcare companies, state agencies, banks, credit card companies, manufacturers, etc. The people area really intelligent and from all over, making for a (mostly) enjoyable experience. The work environment is awesome and something I wish more companies had. Gives you a good sense of freedom compared to the typical corporate structure.

ConsWhere to start on the cons. There is a definitive struggle to find a working strategy here. I think we all know we want to be innovative and product solutions in some way that harnesses data, big/small/disparate/whatever. Though we can't seem to get past fancy marketing and smoke/mirror tactics and simply explain the real value that we provide. I feel like we sell ourselves short of what we really do with trying to make it look like this magical machine that spits out insights. Nobody really knows what is going on, though it is hard to stay positive with how things are.

Another review mentioned this, but while the variety of work is nice, the quality of project can vary greatly. Plus we're now in the spot with little room to move.

Advice to Senior ManagementWe need more transparency and a clear/concise plan. Pick one and let us work towards it.

Your experience can be extremely fascinating or the typical consulting work depending on the project type.

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

ProsWork with smart people, with blue-chip clients, using cutting-edge technology.

ConsThe company is not very focused in direction; there are a lot of projects in many different verticals, which may be great for an analyst fresh out of school but not for an organization trying to do something completely new and disruptive.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on one vertical and try to perfect that particular technology solution before expanding to other verticals.

It began well and turned into several years of failed business plans and un-kept promises.

Support Services (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe company is full of nice, smart people. They're fun to be around, although smiling faces had become few and far between in the past couple of years.

ConsCompany description that changes as often as most people change their underwear. Products and services that either don't deliver as promised, or do at a price that's totally unprofitable to the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementResign. They offer nothing to the people they hope will make the company work.

Bad management is killing the company

Data Analyst Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThere are a lot of talented people in the company, through many of them are leaving now. The projects are fun and challenging, you can learn a lot and build your experience.

ConsBad management, policies changed all the time, and didn't live up to the promise. The salary is lower than the market. The benefit is not competitive as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat the employee well. Give them what they deserved.

Opera Solutions provides innovative big data solutions

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsOpera is very flexible. The management is laid back. They are not afraid to be experimental. It feels like working at a startup with the stability of a major company

ConsBusiness models often seem to change on a whim leaving everyone feeling uncertain

Advice to Senior ManagementEvery level of the organization needs more accountability

Turning the Corner with Momentum Building

Director (Current Employee)
New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 3 years

ProsA few recent key business wins with major blue chip companies; Well positioned vis a vis Frost & Sullivan, Gartner, Computerworld, Expedia/Kaggle prize; Messaging and capabilities are differentiated, and the market is responding positively.

ConsCompetition is well financed, fierce, and growing market share vigorously; Company is just beginning to deploy a sound strategy that can win the market, but time will tell if we can execute

Advice to Senior ManagementStay focused on execution and improving the Vektor platform. With both nimble and large competitors pursuing us in the market, we can squander our position if we don't deliver.

Great People and Opportunities; Leadership Needs to Continue to Make Improvements

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsPros: Super-talented line managers and teams in this company who get things done. Our junior team members are outstanding and get a chance to step up and make a difference, get exposure and gain great experience almost from day one. It is truly an amazing group of people. I don’t work with all the different teams, but my experience with teams in our Services, Healthcare, Government and Risk and Financial Services practices have been wonderful. Products get developed and out the door, customers’ needs get met and things get done. Middle managers have a lot of discretion and the problems we are tackling are interesting; we get a chance to solve some of the most fascinating and complex problems our clients are facing today. In my area, our customers seem very satisfied and are renewing/expanding.

ConsUpper management still needs to get better aligned so teams and middle managers can be even more effective. Getting better, but still…

Advice to Senior ManagementReach consensus on business decisions before implementing. Put the strategy down on paper so everyone is aligned. Communicate it better, and stick to it so line managers can execute

Good people...(data science) bubble-economy decisions.

Staff Scientist (Former Employee)

I worked at Opera Solutions for more than a year

ProsSmart scientists, fun atmosphere, great managers, good place to learn a semi-rigorous approach to data science. Of course I complained about management while there, but since leaving I see that they were comparatively pretty good.

ConsFake products such as vektor (that were targeted to impress investors rather than actually do anything) were demoralizing. Lack of profits or great projects led me to seek work elsewhere. The research group was completely disconnected from other groups, which sucked because everyone wanted a little research and a little product development. The focus on PhDs rather than engineers slowed down product development.

Enough complaints, already - new year, new dawn

Marketing Director (Current Employee)

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time for more than 5 years

ProsAmazingly smart and committed people, great IP, one of the best customer lists (with significant relationships) in the Big Data space. True success stories to point to. Much more focused direction (finally - took a long time!) and we've stripped down to fighting weight and lost some of the expenses that were dragging us down. Real progress on technology, too, hitting milestones and goals.

ConsStill a pretty grumpy place to work, even though CEO has taken the right actions (IMHO). Naysayers need to either get with the program or find a place they can believe in.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe sure to keep focused and keep communicating.

Worked for Opera Solutions? Contribute to the Community!

Opera Solutions – Why Work for Us?

Opera Solutions applies advanced analytics to Big Data flows to extract predictive patterns. Our goal is not only to make machines smarter but also (and more important) to use machines’ output to dramatically improve… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Opera Solutions reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Opera Solutions CEO Bernhard Nann. All 124 reviews are posted anonymously by Opera Solutions employees.