Opera Solutions Reviews

174 reviews filtered by
2.8
Opera Solutions Chairman & CEO Arnab Gupta
Arnab Gupta

Pros
  • Flexible hours of work, though that can turn around and bite you by taking your work-life balance haywire (in 9 reviews)

• flexible hours, being able to work from home for a very long time (in unit of month), free snacks and beverage, Friday catering lunches (in 11 reviews)

Cons
  • Senior management has almost 0 skills in people management (in 11 reviews)

• Complete lack of transparency on how the company was doing overall (in 5 reviews)

1. Lots of free time but lots of autonomy

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good peer group, eventual opportunities to go abroad

Cons

Meandering pace of work, projects are too long

Exciting 3 Years in terms of Learning and Meeting Talent in Industry

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Delhi

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

1) Multiple challenging and exciting ongoing engagements to drive your career trajectory - interestingly if you have right mindset and neck to learn, you will have ton of choices to drive your career path.
    2) Learning curve is really steep here as you have a choice to pick from science, analytics and consulting work ... I switched my core focus from Consulting to Analytics and Scientists in the company were really helpful, especially the Chief Scientist and she supported my choice. Thankfully, I have performed to Management's expectation and I got steep learning in return (which is priceless in my opinion).
    3) Talented Peer Group - It is amazing to notice diverse and talented peer group here - answer to any complex industry problem reside around you (it sounds an overstatement but it is true). Lot of codification is done in terms of signals/ insights - having said that, you can't codify Human Brain - and one of the best Pro in Opera is an extremely Talented Resource pool

Cons

1) Inflow of large projects have not been consistent, and it opens up bandwidth in the workforce. More multiple years deal need to be signed to ensure that resources remain engaged. Couple of my friends were poached by a competitor firm, which I found annoying especially since exposure here in Opera is way more than any other company could offer.
    2) Flow of resources between Consulting And Analytics should be streamlined - I was lucky but there might be other resources who might be good and might be thinking about making move to Analytics - it should be formalized.

Advice to Management

We should invest more time on hiring and retaining scientists. Another suggestion is that we should focus on identifying resources who are smart and might be tuned to be great in Analytics - can those be trained through proper training programs?

Strong momentum, collaborative work culture, great people

Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida
    Current Employee - Solutions Analyst in Noida

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

High Growth Market Space - Big Data:. After observing Opera’s work closely in big data analytics projects in marketing domain, the phrase has finally come to mean more than a buzzword to me.
    Positive Client Feedback: Opera has clearly defined its focus on Signal Hub - it is encouraging to see extremely positive feedback from clients for the firm’s analytics capabilities and IP.
    Great People: Opera has amazing talent - there are a lot of positive vibes and energy around teams working on ongoing projects. With many new deals kicking in and momentum picking up again, it is an exciting time to be a part of the firm!
    Approachable Senior Leadership: While working on a strategic initiative, I was pleasantly surprised by how approachable senior leadership at the head office is!

Cons

Lack of awareness about Opera’s core offering - Signal Hub - at India Office. Optimism needs to percolate to India office.
    Under-utilization of resources from India office on analytics projects
    Work culture at India office can become better- existing flexibility in working hours should be maintained, senior leadership at India office needs to be more approachable
    Too much effort going into a few ongoing non/marginally profitable projects

Advice to Management

Build on the ongoing momentum and target a steep growth trajectory
    Share your views, optimism and expectations company-wide - especially with India office. Frequency and medium are very important.
    Chalk out and implement a comprehensive talent management program to check attrition

5. Average Company

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

Work culture is good, managers are very supportive in nature
    Provide good platform to freshers
    Give good learn opportunities to the employees who wanted to learn and work hard
    People are very friendly and warm welcoming in nature

Cons

Senior Management is very bad
    They consider their employees as if they are their slaves
    HR is useless
    Lots n lots of politics
    Compensation wise they pay you very less then the current market

Worked at Snapdeal

I worked at Opera Solutions

Pros

Open Culture. Flexible Work timing and challenge work

Cons

they should work on peer equity to maintain peer satisfaction

Advice to Management

Upper management should be transparent to convey the vision of company

Not good to start your career

Former Employee - Business Analyst in Noida
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Noida

I worked at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Friday meals, cab facility after 8, work from home, phone provided by company, internet bill reimbursement

Cons

Managers dont know how to behave, some managers are given high privileges in spite of knowing they don't know anything

Advice to Management

Hr's please be active, Bad management, please hire some good managers

No sense of direction

Current Employee - Senior Associate in Noida
    Current Employee - Senior Associate in Noida

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great exposure, greater responsibilities and hence learning, great peer group, outstanding work life balance, above average pay for initial years

Cons

senior management lacks vision and direction..bunch of quickly promoted personnel not mature enough to run india operations..discrimination in promotions based on geography (india employee in us/uk based client project will be promoted above peer working out of india office for india client project)

Advice to Management

1. provide better career guidance and convey company's sense of direction
    2. when bringing changes, prove relevance to all service lines
    3. address promotions as incentive for good work and not a tool to retain disgruntled employees

Great Place

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

work-life balance, small teams, good salary and perks

Cons

upper management level politics,

Opera Solutions totally sucks!

Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in New Delhi

I have been working at Opera Solutions

Pros

Good Work-life balance (That's it). Nothing else is spectacular about Opera Solutions India

Cons

Very High Attrition (upto 75%) for IIT Hires in India, as a result no good managers are left, only mediocre leadership is left at the firm. A lot of discrimination between US and India Employees (promotions, work-life balance, responsibility), NO Travel for majority of the India office, Every few months people say the company will improve but all efforts go down the drain. Dearth of projects (half the office sits unstaffed), no opportunities for growth. Was once a good consulting firm, but this new data analytics space that they want to function out of is totally in the air!

Advice to Management

Talk to your employees - lot of insecurity out there, improve the office culture, hire managers and leaders

Directionless organization with no respect for junior workforce

I have been working at Opera Solutions full-time

Pros

1 .Flexi Timing
    2. Young and dynamic work force

Cons

1.There is no concept of work life balance in the organisation- its either no work or work till 3 am and on weekends kind of situation
    2. Company has no idea where its headed towards, we take up anything and everything that comes our way even if we don't have resources or expertise to complete the task. The result- point 1 for resources involved and then usually projects don't go beyond the POC stage and the effort goes in waste
    3. Junior resources have no say or aren't kept in consideration for any policy change in the company. No clear growth structure, no encouragement to venture out of their respective BUs to discover their interest areas and don't expect any benefits or respect if you are working at anything junior then a business analyst level. They say they have a very flat hierarchy but that is just on paper and whatever exists, only exists at the senior management level.

Advice to Management

There are alot of good things that get proposed every 6 months but I haven't seen anything concrete happening. Also you need to look beyond the senior management. Also if you don't realize that you have an opportunity to groom your junior resources to take up bigger roles and responsibilities and treat them with respect, soon enough you will be back to the attrition rate you were looking at last financial year.