Opower

Updated 16 December 2014
4.1

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people (in 11 reviews)

• Probably the "coolest company" in Virginia if you're looking for a Google-esque company culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 9 reviews)

• None to speak of - long hours come with the territory but aren't a con, they should be expected when one has the desire to work in this space (in 6 reviews)

More Highlights

48 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Opower is a Slam Dunk

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Opower truly is a great place to work. We have dogs in the office, food that is stocked everyday in the kitchen, massages onsite once a week, happy hours, and we get to work around some of the smartest people in the DC area. Generous equity and PTO. Plus we get off for a "winter break" it's like being in college all over again! The work is challenging, and if you are not challenged, there is always more work to be done. Another thing that I personally love is the people. People here are willing to lend you their knowledge if they have worked here for a while, and you have questions. Overall, I think it is an awesome place to work in the DC area and the best place I have worked for in my career.

Cons

- no 401k match
    - priorities change often

Opower Completely Spoils Me

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Opower culture is the best part of working here. You work with smart people who do what they say they'll do and care about the planet. The company is not shy about spending money on morale. There seems to be at least one company-sponsored lunch, happy hour, or event a week, in addition to Friday lunches, massages, snacks, etc. In general, management will support you and help you grow your career. There is decent work-life balance here, although facetime is valued more than at other engineering organizations I've worked for.

Cons

We're still figuring out how to scale, so processes are in flux. The company has a very young culture and, although it doesn't seem to have a sexist culture, the Engineering and Product directors are all male (except one) and upper management includes only one female, so that seems to speak for itself. I believe they are working on this.

Keep up the good work and promote your savvy female employees.

Mission driven, fast paced - buzz words but true!

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The passion that drives what we do is contagious. It can make some of those long days feel worth it and brings some of the most unique, creative individuals to Opower. The work is demanding but rewarding and if you are looking to make a career move this is the place. You will learn things faster and be a part of monumental change.

Cons

It is a post-IPO start up organization so things can change on a dime. It's not necessarily a con if you know how to deal with it and keeps you on your toes. You just have to be the type of person that enjoys change and can "live in the gray".

Dec 08, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for your perspective and your loyalty to Opower. We appreciate you taking time to share!

Rigged?

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Most of the reviews in the last couple of month are rigged.. this is largely because they were getting a bunch of bad reviews. It's sad what employers will do and how low they can go.

Cons

Stop rigging your reviews. You need to stop doing obvious and stupid things

Start being slightly more honest

Lots of opportunities, lots of issues

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunities, high level of personal autonomy, talented and highly motivated colleagues. Opower is a great place to learn how to work with different kinds of super-smart people all while working for a noble cause.

Cons

While the people are talented, a collaborative and constructive team culture is noticeably absent. When faced with challenges, the first reaction most often encountered is "how did this happen" rather than "let's find a solution", especially when working across different departments. The strongest leaders in the company are those that adopt a solution-oriented approach, but there are too few of those in the middle and upper management ranks.

Professional development culture is basically non-existent. Opportunities exist as the company is growing, but upper management doesn't place a priority on people development. As a result honest feedback is hard to come by, finding mentors is difficult and most bosses don't take an active role in developing and creating opportunities for their reports.

Finally, Opower's people practices are incredibly poor. The HR team seems to exist primarily to protect the companies interests rather than keeping employees happy. The fact that pay and benefits are slightly below average doesn't help, especially as Opower is no longer a hip startup but a public company whose challenges attracting talent will only grow.

Invest in caring for your people, delegate more decision-making authority and really listen to clients and their needs.

Dec 09, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thank you for sharing your insight. It’s always helpful to hear things from a different perspective. That said, I’m sorry to hear you are feeling this way. Earlier in 2014, we brought on our first ... More

Great people, great mission

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the most talented I have ever worked with. I have learned so much after working here, and I am still constantly challenged to do my best.

Cons

It's a very challenging environment, and for some, this may be a turn-off.

Nov 03, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thanks for being an O!

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opower has high hiring standards in most areas, and it's nice to be around so many talented people. It's also a company where people become close friends with their coworkers.

The mission is legit. You feel like your work is meaningful because it saves people money and reduces carbon emissions.

Cons

Compensation is always the lowest possible amount HR thinks they can get away with. People get huge counteroffers, and most of them leave anyway because they were insulted. Of course, if management and HR thinks they can string someone along with the promise of a possible raise in a few months, they'll do that instead of a firm counteroffer. Always the lowest compensation possible.

The CFO runs the company and refuses to invest in R&D. Teams go underfunded, maintenance gets neglected, quality slips in embarrassing ways, revenue is lost, and then there's a bunch of meetings where management thinks really hard about how to solve all these problems in ways other than hiring people to work on them. There are armies of people at Opower who analyze processes and organizational efficiency, though.

Oct 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate your feedback and are sincerely sorry to hear you feel this way. Fortunately, the concern about compensation was identified in the recent Oployee survey and an action plan is already in ... More

Great people and a worthwhile mission, but there is an incredible amount of tech debt. Also, the software stack is too complicated for its own good.

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. There are some incredibly smart and interesting people at the company, and the mission is something that people rally behind.

Cons

Being an engineer on the operations side is soul sucking.

Just hire a CTO all ready. Also, please stop calling the only product that makes you money, and the thing that all your clients are using "the legacy application". You are driving great engineers away with the crazy tech debt, the over-complicated software stack, and the dirty hacks "for now" that persist in production.

Also, pay your operations people. Why do you pay $90k - 180k to engineers to work in a vacuum and eventually crap out the next version of abandonware, while operations engineers who are on call for this garbage make $60k - $100k?

Oct 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We're so sorry to hear you feel this way and appreciate your feedback greatly. We've forwarded your concerns to HR leadership. Also, we expect to be sharing our compensation philosophy by the end of ... More

Wonderful. Chaotic & disorganized. Poor compensation.

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-terrific company culture on many levels
    -hire the most intelligent, hard-working people
    -semi-stocked fridge/pantry & fun events
    -open/flexible work environment

Cons

-semi-stocked fridge/pantry
    -HR is a mess that operates with the disorganization of a small start-up and the snail's pace of a large company—the worst of both worlds
    -another HR issue: compensation is low; they hire the best ppl, but don't do well to retain them
    -general chaos, disorganization, lack of processes/guidance in many aspects of the company

At a behavioral science company, HR should be utilizing forward-thinking practices based on behavioral science to motivate and retain employees. Also, the general expectation of a much-more-than-40-hour work week does not align with the low compensation.

Oct 14, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We sincerely appreciate your review and are sorry to hear you feel this way. Hearing from Oployees is crucial to maintaining our culture as we continue to rapidly expand in the U.S. and globally ... More

So happy to be an O!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an employer, Opower is great. There is a real focus on employees and making this a fun, challenging, "Owesome" place to work. I've received really great training and guidance on the utility industry and markets, and I have learned a ton in my short time here. There is also a real focus on creating a diverse, integrated, respectful work environment; something I really appreciate after years in the IT industry.
    Working here, you're surrounded by really smart, capable people. There is a genuine desire from the team here to carry out Opower's mission. People are invested in doing their part in making the world a better place. It's not lip service, and it's great to be part of a dedicated team like this one.
    Finally, the dogs! There are wet noses to smooch, ears to scratch, and play bows and wagging tails to make you smile.

Cons

- Lack of 401(k) matching. This is a very odd benefit not to have, especially given the otherwise robust benefits package offered.
    - For all the "Owesome" stuff, it's clear that Opower is going through some growing pains. There's a lot to do, and not always enough hands to do the work. If you're willing to speak up and roll up your sleeves at times, your hard work and recommendations will be heard and recognized.

Keep investing in corporate diversity and integration, and managerial training. Also, 401(k) MATCHING! C'mon peeps!

Sep 22, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. All are being taken to heart with new diversity roundtables and happy hours underway, management training in the works, and there's a team ... More