Opower

Updated 20 November 2014
4.2

Opower Founder & CEO Daniel Yates
Daniel Yates

Pros
  • This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people (in 9 reviews)

• Great people with whom is awesome to work with, be challenged by and as a result grow (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Bad Work-Life-Balance - ongoing issue that is constantly raised by employees and Management does not seem to care (in 9 reviews)

• Also, while the DC office is top notch by DC standards, the San Francisco office is on the low end of the scale for perks, food, setup, etc (in 4 reviews)

More Highlights

45 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Mission driven, fast paced - buzz words but true!

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The passion that drives what we do is contagious. It can make some of those long days feel worth it and brings some of the most unique, creative individuals to Opower. The work is demanding but rewarding and if you are looking to make a career move this is the place. You will learn things faster and be a part of monumental change.

Cons

It is a post-IPO start up organization so things can change on a dime. It's not necessarily a con if you know how to deal with it and keeps you on your toes. You just have to be the type of person that enjoys change and can "live in the gray".

Great people, great mission

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people are the most talented I have ever worked with. I have learned so much after working here, and I am still constantly challenged to do my best.

Cons

It's a very challenging environment, and for some, this may be a turn-off.

Nov 3, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review. Thanks for being an O!

Lots of opportunities, lots of issues

Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Engagement Manager in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Career growth opportunities, high level of personal autonomy, talented and highly motivated colleagues. Opower is a great place to learn how to work with different kinds of super-smart people all while working for a noble cause.

Cons

While the people are talented, a collaborative and constructive team culture is noticeably absent. When faced with challenges, the first reaction most often encountered is "how did this happen" rather than "let's find a solution", especially when working across different departments. The strongest leaders in the company are those that adopt a solution-oriented approach, but there are too few of those in the middle and upper management ranks.

Professional development culture is basically non-existent. Opportunities exist as the company is growing, but upper management doesn't place a priority on people development. As a result honest feedback is hard to come by, finding mentors is difficult and most bosses don't take an active role in developing and creating opportunities for their reports.

Finally, Opower's people practices are incredibly poor. The HR team seems to exist primarily to protect the companies interests rather than keeping employees happy. The fact that pay and benefits are slightly below average doesn't help, especially as Opower is no longer a hip startup but a public company whose challenges attracting talent will only grow.

Invest in caring for your people, delegate more decision-making authority and really listen to clients and their needs.

Wasted potential

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Opower full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opower has high hiring standards in most areas, and it's nice to be around so many talented people. It's also a company where people become close friends with their coworkers.

The mission is legit. You feel like your work is meaningful because it saves people money and reduces carbon emissions.

Cons

Compensation is always the lowest possible amount HR thinks they can get away with. People get huge counteroffers, and most of them leave anyway because they were insulted. Of course, if management and HR thinks they can string someone along with the promise of a possible raise in a few months, they'll do that instead of a firm counteroffer. Always the lowest compensation possible.

The CFO runs the company and refuses to invest in R&D. Teams go underfunded, maintenance gets neglected, quality slips in embarrassing ways, revenue is lost, and then there's a bunch of meetings where management thinks really hard about how to solve all these problems in ways other than hiring people to work on them. There are armies of people at Opower who analyze processes and organizational efficiency, though.

Oct 16, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate your feedback and are sincerely sorry to hear you feel this way. Fortunately, the concern about compensation was identified in the recent Oployee survey and an action plan is already in ... More

Great people and a worthwhile mission, but there is an incredible amount of tech debt. Also, the software stack is too complicated for its own good.

Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Operations Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people. There are some incredibly smart and interesting people at the company, and the mission is something that people rally behind.

Cons

Being an engineer on the operations side is soul sucking.

Just hire a CTO all ready. Also, please stop calling the only product that makes you money, and the thing that all your clients are using "the legacy application". You are driving great engineers away with the crazy tech debt, the over-complicated software stack, and the dirty hacks "for now" that persist in production.

Also, pay your operations people. Why do you pay $90k - 180k to engineers to work in a vacuum and eventually crap out the next version of abandonware, while operations engineers who are on call for this garbage make $60k - $100k?

Oct 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We're so sorry to hear you feel this way and appreciate your feedback greatly. We've forwarded your concerns to HR leadership. Also, we expect to be sharing our compensation philosophy by the end of ... More

So happy to be an O!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As an employer, Opower is great. There is a real focus on employees and making this a fun, challenging, "Owesome" place to work. I've received really great training and guidance on the utility industry and markets, and I have learned a ton in my short time here. There is also a real focus on creating a diverse, integrated, respectful work environment; something I really appreciate after years in the IT industry.
    Working here, you're surrounded by really smart, capable people. There is a genuine desire from the team here to carry out Opower's mission. People are invested in doing their part in making the world a better place. It's not lip service, and it's great to be part of a dedicated team like this one.
    Finally, the dogs! There are wet noses to smooch, ears to scratch, and play bows and wagging tails to make you smile.

Cons

- Lack of 401(k) matching. This is a very odd benefit not to have, especially given the otherwise robust benefits package offered.
    - For all the "Owesome" stuff, it's clear that Opower is going through some growing pains. There's a lot to do, and not always enough hands to do the work. If you're willing to speak up and roll up your sleeves at times, your hard work and recommendations will be heard and recognized.

Keep investing in corporate diversity and integration, and managerial training. Also, 401(k) MATCHING! C'mon peeps!

Sep 22, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Welcome to O! Thank you for the kind words and suggestions. All are being taken to heart with new diversity roundtables and happy hours underway, management training in the works, and there's a team ... More

Wonderful. Chaotic & disorganized. Poor compensation.

I have been working at Opower full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-terrific company culture on many levels
    -hire the most intelligent, hard-working people
    -semi-stocked fridge/pantry & fun events
    -open/flexible work environment

Cons

-semi-stocked fridge/pantry
    -HR is a mess that operates with the disorganization of a small start-up and the snail's pace of a large company—the worst of both worlds
    -another HR issue: compensation is low; they hire the best ppl, but don't do well to retain them
    -general chaos, disorganization, lack of processes/guidance in many aspects of the company

At a behavioral science company, HR should be utilizing forward-thinking practices based on behavioral science to motivate and retain employees. Also, the general expectation of a much-more-than-40-hour work week does not align with the low compensation.

Oct 14, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We sincerely appreciate your review and are sorry to hear you feel this way. Hearing from Oployees is crucial to maintaining our culture as we continue to rapidly expand in the U.S. and globally ... More

Great people, evolving org structures

Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Implementation Engineer in Arlington, VA (US)

Pros

Cons

Too much work can get in way of personal growth

Focus on employee retention as much as employee acquisition

Oct 15, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review. We appreciate your feedback.

Awesome company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I have been working at Opower full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The people are awesome and the work is great. There is always a collaborative atmosphere that enables you to communicate with many different intelligent individuals. The employees are all passionate, intelligent and are the best of the best. I actually don't dread going to work as I used to.

- Tons of Benefits
    - Great People who are passionate about what they do
    - Awesome and challenging work
    - You get out of it what you put into it
    - Very laid back yet professional setting

Cons

There is a lot of work. And that means you'll probably have to stay late.

- Long hours
    - Average Pay

Jul 31, 2014Employer Brand Manager

Thanks for the review and great feedback. We take it to heart and will be sure to share it with cOmpany leaders.

Owesome!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Arlington, VA (US)

I worked at Opower full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

This is a fun place to work with a ton of really smart people. The open environment is great for collaboration and learning. There is a ton of team and company events. Lots of work but lots of play as well.

Cons

They need more people. There is so much work to do and the company is doing so well that it is hard to keep up with the demand. For every one person they hire they need 2 just to keep up.

Harness the current employee talent and potential and grow them. Don't let the great people get burned out and leave.

Aug 6, 2014Employer Brand Manager

We appreciate the review and feedback!