Oracle Reviews in San Francisco, CA

5,558 Reviews

Oracle CEO and Director Larry Ellison
Larry Ellison
3,244 Ratings

Pros
  • The work/life balance at Oracle (at least the division I work for) is quite good (in 721 reviews)

• Work from home option is available which is very convenient during busy times (in 329 reviews)

Cons
  • The work life balance is a trade off offered for lesser than industry average growth (in 97 reviews)

• The consulting practice shrunk so much that there is no career growth (in 137 reviews)

More Highlights

754 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good place to work, but hard to get into, and little salary growth

Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Product Marketing Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The benefits at Oracle are decent. Your job satisfaction will depend upon the group you are in. The hiring process is long and cumbersome, but once at Oracle, you have many opportunities for changing positions and groups. Your salary is however unlikely to keep up with the market.

Cons

This is a large company and it is hard at times to find out who is doing what. Incentives and compensation growth opportunities are depending upon the group in which you are. Some groups are well taken care of while others are not. It is important to be hired with the highest salary you can get. It is common for employees to get their salary readjusted upon being re-hired (after leaving the company for a few years).

There are no corporate-wide program for the retention of top talent. Managers are given a bonus pool for their entire team, and try to use this pool as best they can to reward top-performers. Very little people leadership with top executives. LJE is not a very inspirational person...

It all depends where your at!

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance is great, no micro managing, and access to lots of senior people. But I'm in a unique position which allows that. I have a boss that give me autonomy, and support from senior leaders to act in the best interest of my program.

Cons

The internal bureaucracy is horrible. Internal systems such as expense reporting, procurement, tech support, and any other system for employees is garbage. Employee apps are crap, and internal software is dated and not intuitive. Compensation is slightly below average for tech companies, but not for other Fortune 500's

Fix the internal system, don't make it so hard for the rank and file to get help. Use our own commercial products to help make employees more productive. Give raises, treat your people like you want them to stay.

Current orcl review

Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Challenging and interesting projects both hw and sw.

Cons

Giant company with policy and rules that come with large companies.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Software Engineer

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Oracle as an intern for less than a year

Pros

I was a very relaxed environment that allowed you to have space to breath, explore, and be creative.

Cons

The kinds of people who work here aren't necessarily motivated to create the next Google.

fun to work and flexible

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

flexible hours good work personal life balance

Cons

low pay and motivation, old fashioned

gear up!

Great learning experience, but not the right company culture for me.

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA (US)

I worked at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great training program, the opportunity to work at a Fortune 500 company and meet an amazing network of peers and industry veterans.

Cons

Having no say in what LOB or team you fell under. This turned out to be a nail in the coffin for me, as I ended up under a sub-par manager. There was limited horizontal movement at the time due to the intense hiring round they were pursuing, so leaving was my best option.

Try to listen to the voices of all these new hires. You wanted us to change the culture at Oracle, but unless you listen to our thoughts about what can improve, this process can never take place.

No Career Growth

Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Principal Consultant in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good work-life balance. If you are lucky, you will find great people to work with.

Cons

No Career Growth
    Poor Compensation/No Pay hikes for years
    No scope to change teams unless you have contacts

cut down on the redundant management roles

Too much bureaucracy and very old tech stack

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work-life balance
    Lots of benefits
    DB group has lot of new projects. Pay/Bonuses are really good if you join one of the teams in DB.

Cons

Not fit for new grads
    You don't learn new things until you take initiative
    Some of the older people are dinosaurs. They live in their own world and do not like talking about newer technologies as they are not comfortable around them.
    Managers lack mgmt skills and no effort is taken to learn them.
    You are stuck with the same pay grade even if you get promoted. Get hold off another offer letter if you want a raise or stay at the same pay grade forever.
    A lot of communication gap between teams.
    People don't give good advice. They do their work and leave for home. There are no mentorship opportunities and code reviews are just formalities.

Just because somebody completed X no of years you don't have to make him/her a manager.
    Layoffs are required in order to make ppl realize that they cannot slack off.
    There are 10 devs and 5 managers for Task X which can be completed by 2 managers and 8 devs. There are just too many managers and directors.

Good company

Current Employee - Senior Development Manager  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Development Manager in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Flexible timing , good work place , very stable job

Cons

Low salary per industry standard , very low bonuses and stock options

Underpaid and will always be...Churn and burn environment. Just a big machine.

Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative  in  Redwood City, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate Sales Representative in Redwood City, CA (US)

I have been working at Oracle full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not a lot of pressure from management. We are expected to bring in business and make a certain amount of calls per week, but the calls are easily manipulated and the business can be a bluff also. The company will not fire you unless you clearly are not working and/or you behave in a way that is not HR compliant. The training in the beginning is not very useful for on the job, but it is fun and luxurious.

Cons

You will never get a raise within the same position, and with a promotion you can only get up to 15% raise. This is a BIG problem for all of the college hires that they are bringing in, because they are stuck on a below-market-value salary for the remainder of their career at Oracle. A promotion is also very difficult to come by, despite the minimal raise you get with the added responsibilities. The company has a horrible culture of looking out for your own interests, deceiving other product lines within Oracle, and constantly competing for budget with various pillars. The CRM is non-existent and everyone uses their own spreadsheets. The company doesn't run on half the software it sells. Don't expect someone to be happy when you lower their commission and raise their quota every fiscal year.

Promote and give raises when people do well. Encourage your top talent to stay with the company and grow the future talent. Discipline people when they don't work and recognize people when they do a lot. As I mentioned before, don't expect someone to be happy when you lower their commission and raise their quota every fiscal year.

Worked for Oracle? Contribute to the Community!