Oshkosh Corporation

Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Review Of Oshkosh Truck

Senior Defense Financial Compliance Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company builds trucks for the military that saves lives. In addition Oshkosh builds fire trucks and snow plows. All of the trucks are the best.

ConsThe company does not have current state of the art business systems. Their accounting, billing, estimating and purchasing systems are weak.

Advice to Senior ManagementPurchase an ERP system such as Oracle or SAP.

Oshkosh Truck

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsBenefits, fast track management, cross training

Conshours, no over time pay for salaried staff, union vs corporation mentality, 3 generation management style

Great Products, Great Opportunities

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsI would say that the people are great. Mid-level and senior management almost have all worked their way up from the lower levels, so they are easily approachable, no-nonsense and knowledgeable. Benefits are good. Preferential treatment is given to current employees for positions. Upward moves into different types of positions are usually easier than within your current job designation (for example, if you are an admin, moving into contracts or project management, rather than to an executive level admin).

ConsNo lunchrooms (there are kitchens), projects often require lots of overtime from all staff, however many people see the project (often for military) as vitally important not only to the business but for our soldiers as well, so the overtime is usually not viewed as a huge inconvenience. Administrative promotions are usually not based on performance, but done personally.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease communication between departments and divisions, really work on the One-Oshkosh philosophy. When undergoing new projects talk to the admins, they know what is going on and usually have useful input.

Busy!

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsBenefits are very compeitive for area

ConsOvertime is often excessive and no comp time

Advice to Senior ManagementOvertime comp would improve moral

Busy

Team Coordinator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsOshkosh Truck offers someone the opportunity to develop yourself as a person and as a leader. There are plenty of opportunities for challenging yourself.

ConsThe shifts are kind of awkward and makes it so that it is hard to have time for anything else for you to do with your day.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep in mind the thoughts of the workers, if management works for them the workers will work harder for the management.

What a Nightmare- Avoid at All Cost

Fed Up (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsThere are indeed alot of opportunities for growth, if only you had any authority to exercise those opportunities. There are current openings available at the company. The last is a great reason to apply if you are desperate for a job.

ConsUpper level management is clueless along with other corporate departments on what needs to be done to take care of current issues. The entire company is a clique and if you aren't in the group, you will get nowhere. The character of corporate mid level leadership is not good. These people beat you into the ground to promote themselves all the while being poor civil examples for the rest of the company. This makes it extremely difficult to do the right thing and get anywhere above your position. The work life balance is considered an average of 60/hrs/wk with no OT. This makes our turnover rate astronomical with salaried people.

The insurance packages the company offers to its salary staff are shameful compared to what they dole out to the union workforce. You cannot have an illness. Regardless, you will pay upwards of $150/month as an individual for insurance and still have a $1750 deductible. Otherwise you can pay $100/month and have a $3000 deductible. If you have a family like me, best of luck. The company is truly being unfair with their benefits. They dont match 401k anywhere near what other corporations are offering. 50% match up to 6%. All of these things give me reason to seek employment elsewhere. Best of luck to all fellow employees, Im getting out of here as soon as possible.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet with the program. Understand that what you are doing is driving your employees away. You can't keep promoting the people that buy you rounds at the bar and depend on them to do the right thing. You have been bought and you need to right the ship before it sinks. Yes, military contracts are great but when you are done selling trucks on your last contract, where will you go from here? A strong workforce will stand behind you. Your current workforce however, won't be left standing.

Overall, a good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsStability of company
Good opportunity to grow
Great place to learn
Variety of companies within the organization to learn about and work with

ConsLack of communication around company strategy
Most employees do not know what the company was doing or why it was doing it
Leadership was a little stagnant - little change at higher levels

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove communication to employees, especially in regards to corporate strategy

The conpany has a lot of growing to do culture wise.

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsInnovative and challenging work. Stays ahead of competition.

ConsOver work their employees, and show little recognition.

Poor management and no room to grow professionally.

Assmebler (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsOshkosh truck offers great pay rate and did have a fairly quick raise rate and the benefits package was a great package.

ConsDespite the good pay rate and the great benefits package, trucks didnt have much room to grow professionally and also management was sometimes horrible in changes that would be made in production lines.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe feedback I would like to offer is that they should hear more of what the people who actually assemble the parts and work on the line instead of just letting someone who hasnt worked on the line make changes according to some data sheet.

A learning experience

Project Manager (Current Employee)

ProsPride
Good Money
People are very dedicated to the task at hand

ConsStressful work enviroment
Defense industry is instable and spending for the future is forecasted low
Travel to war areas is less than desirable

Advice to Senior ManagementThey need to evolve towards adopting a warm heart philosophy of going hard on the problems not on the people.

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oshkosh Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews. All 50 reviews are posted anonymously by Oshkosh Corporation employees.