Oshkosh Corporation

Be The First To
Add Photos

Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews

Charles L. Szews

Pros:
  • "Good pay for the area as a blue collar worker"
    in 4 reviews
  • "I was fortunate to work with some great people at Oshkosh, and the pay was good for what I did as a temp"
    in 4 reviews
Cons:
  • "The insurance packages the company offers to its salary staff are shameful compared to what they dole out to the union workforce"
    in 3 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Long-term advancement potential if you're an "Oshkosh person", otherwise quick turnover

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsThe compensation is reasonable, most co-workers are pleasant, my direct managers were competent people-managers, and I learned a great deal from my involvement with the company.

ConsOshkosh's corporate structure is bureaucratic, rigid and paternalistic; essentially an "old boys club". Perhaps this mirrors the customer's expectations, but it makes change difficult to implement and creates a situation where only people with similar backgrounds and mindsets get promoted. If you're not an "Oshkosh person", you have limited potential at the company regardless of your capabilities and qualifications. Furthermore, the company's heavy use of contract workers creates a morale issue, as a large number of employees do not feel as though they are true Oshkosh employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the long term more with regards to talent identification and development, as well as corporate strategy. Be more proactive about identifying "bugs"; don't let them fester and then try to use a sledgehammer to take care of the problem.

Time to get out!

Fabricator (Current Employee)
Appleton, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe wages are the best for my job class in this area, but that's it!

ConsManagement is about the worst I and many others have ever seen. It literally is amazing that a product is even produced, much less a decent one. You're always kept in the dark an s treated with little respect. Constant threat of layoffs sue to poor management and planning.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to run a business!

Time to get out

Project Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWhen the going is good things are great.This is a company that has so much potential to grow and develop its units. Still hiring people - so many corporate opportunities.
Have great social life with co-workers but there tends to be a very loose policy especially drinking.
Opportunities ( in the past) have been fantastic for rapid promotion.

ConsWorking conditions - verbally not good ? To much abuse down the chain. I have personally seen the transition into the business of new divisions only to be talked down and squashed by corporate administrators here in WI. We were ONE Oshkosh - remember!
Leadership is weak. Senior executives get away with a lot and are not punished while mid levels are crucified at every turn. This company is underachieving and hurting its own assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementGrow some! Get on top of your senior management who talk smack and act like bullies. If the Exec turns up to a meeting hung over - kick their butt !!
I think I have put it out there well. You have quality people working for you but some senior executives are more concerned with smear campaigns than getting on with the job.
Oh and CEO - Take a weekend off!

Not a bad place for an internship.

Information Technology Intern (Current Employee)
Oshkosh, WI (US)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation as an intern for more than a year

ProsFor an internship, they are very flexible with students and will try to accommodate them as much as possible.

ConsThere can be periods of time where there isn't much work that an intern can do. There is also the matter of little training going on as well.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou have a pretty nice internship program, but you hire very few from it because you seem to only want senior level experience. You have plenty of valuable skills coming out of nearby colleges.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

OverallGreat Experience.

Sales Administrator (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsOffice Culture, people, decent benefits, good work/life balance

Consnot much areas for advancement

Advice to Senior Managementpromotions

Great place to work if you like a fast paced environment!

Senior Buyer (Current Employee)

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsPay is competitive, good benefits, allot of great people, the work is rewarding.

ConsIt can be a pressure cooker at times and depending on the department, management can be taxing.

Miserable

Team Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than a year

ProsThe people and the product.

ConsGood old boy network, long hours, little to no recognition

Advice to Senior ManagementGet rid of the good old boy network, embrace the employee's that do the work and try and work with the union instead of against it.

Great company, great culture

I have been working at Oshkosh Corporation full-time

ProsFlexible work environment with supportive co workers, great benefits and always working to improve. You can always find the help that you need to accomplish your tasks

ConsLarge corporation who has acquired several other smaller business which in turn result in the lack of cohesion. The company is working on trying to become one Oshkosh, however, with such a widespread amount of business units, it is a daunting task.

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation

ProsVery good company to work for, good people, good inviroment to work in.

ConsSorry no cons that I remember.

Advice to Senior ManagementShould had worked harder to keep company in Killeen.

It was a very enjoyable experience.

Material Coordinator (Former Employee)

I worked at Oshkosh Corporation full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people were very friendly and the compensation and benefits were outstanding. The working conditions were above average, the facilities were clean and heated in the winter.

ConsEmployment availability was totally dependent upon the US Government. They would award the company contracts and then cancel them, leaving you without a job. There was no open door policy there, you had no way to speak to upper management, and at times lower management could be very unfair about things. They would sign an employment contract and then brake every condition of the contract possible. Would take years to resolve grievances.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time paying attention to what is actually happening on the floors of your company. You need to make a greater effort to get along with the workforce.

Worked for Oshkosh Corporation? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Oshkosh Corporation reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Oshkosh Corporation CEO Charles L. Szews. All 52 reviews are posted anonymously by Oshkosh Corporation employees.