PNC Financial Services Group
www.pnc.com Pittsburgh, PA 5000+ Employees

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros:
  • "The company allows most employees to have good work/life balance"
    in 75 reviews
  • "Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management"
    in 50 reviews
Cons:
  • "bad upper management, lots of interest in screwing the customer to make lots money"
    in 41 reviews
  • "There is no work-life balance or care for the well-being of their employees"
    in 16 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

teller

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group part-time

Prosvery good people to work with

Conseverything was good and organised

Great Place To Work!

Marketing Manager (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for less than a year

ProsFor a large company, they do a great job of making individuals feel special/welcome during the onboarding process. The work/life balance is good, and benefits are very good too. There's a definite path to moving into higher positions within the company

ConsThere is nothing I can say at this point that would be a con. It's a great company with great leadership.

Good company on solid footing

Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThey do take care of their employees. Decent 401k and pension, and they encourage employees to take advantage of it. Decent salary, excellent opportunity for career growth.

ConsThey have restructured their quarterly bonus , and not in a way that favors the employees. There can be a lack of communication at times too.

Excellent values and culture

Customer Service Associate (Current Employee)
Grand Rapids, MI (US)

ProsPNC is commited to growth and advancement of employees. They provide numerous opportunities for education and training.

ConsLots of competition for positions within the local market. You may have to relocate to advance quickly.

CSA

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsGood people. Inviting atmosphere. Great on-boarding.

ConsLow, LOW pay. Competitive sales environment.

Great company, but undergoing a lot of change; uncertain if for the better or worse

Enterprise Services Analyst (Current Employee)
Pittsburgh, PA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThis is a great, stable company, and among the largest employers in Pittsburgh. Work life balance is said to be an important part of the culture at PNC, and fellow employees are generally very teamwork-oriented and happy to offer advice.

ConsThis company is undergoing significant change, especially in the area of Technology and Operations. This comes following the retirement of several key executives, including the former CEO. All of the organizational change has contributed to high anxiety and has made this company a relatively unpleasant place to work over the past year. This will change over time, but is expected to continue for the next few years.

Expense management is a high priority in order to improve PNC's efficiency ratio as compared to peer banks. This affects employees by making it difficult to advance, or to receive salary increases. It also means that salaries do not keep pace with cost-of-living increases.

The company places a lot of focus on its annual Gallup Employee Engagement Survey results. PNC scores well on this survey as a company, and has received Gallup's "Great Places to Work" recognition. The results are steeped in Gallup research, can be anonymously broken down by department, and seem to suggest clear areas for improvement. I found that the results led to a lot of action, but not to outcomes that might actually budge the needle. For example, one question focuses on whether employees understand what is expected of them at work, and another focuses on whether employees have the tools to do their job effectively. Both of these questions received low scores in my department. While management rallied around the low scores, invested considerable time in analyzing the scores, and assigned employees to work on improving the scores, the seemingly obvious solutions never materialized. One would have expected such scores to result in better training, more growth opportunities, and improved employee-technology.

Finally, PNC is such a large enterprise that it is a management-by-committee environment. No one person makes any decisions, which means difficult decisions are rarely made. The committee structure ensures that the organization moves very slow. In fact, it can take as many as three months for information to get from the bottom to the top because there are so many levels of management, and so many meetings for those managers to attend. With all of these meetings, mid-level managers are always trying to get into more meetings, and especially trying to get into meetings with more-senior-level managers. Being "in the know" often takes precedence over one's day job, and suddenly these managers are too busy to actually be productive. In any given meeting, it seems like there are only a handful of people actually doing work, i.e. having developed some work-product or other evidence of their work. Everybody else just heads from meeting to meeting trying to shell out "advice" and complaining about being caught up in their busy schedules. I would argue that the 9,500-some member Technology and Operations area could get the same level of productivity by eliminating about a quarter of mid-level and upper-mid-level management, as they're only around to be involved in this game of meeting charades.

Advice to Senior ManagementExpense management should not take precedence over keeping your talent engaged and ensuring they are growing and developing their skills. If you neglect them, they will become less-productive or leave.

Great Place to work!!!

Sales Ambassador (Current Employee)
Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time for more than a year

ProsWork Life Balance being able to work when at work and be home when at home. Great hours and a lot of room for growth within company.

ConsCurrently there is a lot of turn over. I would say changing staff is currently a challenge.

Great company to work for!

Universal Banker (Current Employee)
Columbus, OH (US)

ProsPnc has a lot of benefits available to employees, such as emergency child care, discount programs, health coaching, and constant recognition for achievements.

ConsSlow to promote employees and compensate with corresponding salary ranges.

The great place to work

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group

ProsPnc is best place to learn.

Consi dont think pnc employes face any challanges.. the environment is so friendly

Advice to Senior ManagementMore copration

Great place to work. Great atmosphere.

I have been working at PNC Financial Services Group full-time

ProsWork life balance
Management

ConsWork life balance
Low pay

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!

PNC Financial Services Group Videos

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PNC Financial Services Group reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PNC Financial Services Group CEO William S. Demchak. All 894 reviews are posted anonymously by PNC Financial Services Group employees.