PNC Financial Services Group

www.pnc.com

PNC Financial Services Group Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.2 1,032 reviews

PNC Financial Services Group President and Chief Executive Officer William S. Demchak

William S. Demchak

Pros
  • If you work anyplace other than retail banking PNC values employee work life balance (in 92 reviews)

• Great starting salary with good benefits and exposure to senior management (in 68 reviews)

Cons
  • upper management no clue what's going on with the new universal branch idea (in 48 reviews)

• Work life balance could be better depending on what department you are in (in 21 reviews)

More Highlights
1,032 Employee Reviews

Everyone needs to read this

Anonymous (Current Employee)

ProsGreat co-workers. The branch I work at is very casual, and that's why a lot of our clients love us. Steady part-time hours and decent starting pay (for someone who has had no prior experience in banking). No such thing as a night shift.

ConsThis part is what everyone needs to read. Pnc bank is starting to turn into Bank of America, wells fargo, and chase bank. They implemented high referral goals, and they're putting tons of pressure on branch managers to ensure their staff meet those goals. So what does that mean? It means we have to hound almost every client about some product that they don't need in order for us to get referrals. If you're about to start working at PNC, then I hope you're a good salesman. Also, if you're a full-time college student (like me), then have fun trying to learn about every PNC product along with doing your massive amounts of schoolwork and studying. Another thing you will have to worry about (as a college student) is studying for the 2 exams you have coming up for class and meeting your sales quota for PNC.
    Here's everything in a nutshell: If you want to become a salesman, this job is the right job for you. However, If you don't want to become a salesman......

....then good luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the love of Zeus, stop trying to be like Bank of America. We're the 5th largest bank in the United States, and if you all cared about the clients and not about shareholders and money, then your employees would be happier.

Old Boys Club

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFlexible schedule, good amount of vacation time, off for bank holidays

ConsA large company, but I felt like there was no room for advancement. Each department is its own silo, not only do you not know their positions, you're lucky to know their names.
    I was constantly overlooked for promotions and new positions - they always seemed to go to men, even if they were less qualified. You really have to know people to advance here and they make it hard for you to do that.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want your employees to grow, as well as your business, you need to encourage communication and cooperation.

Financial Specialist

Financial Specialist II (Former Employee) Lantana, FL (US)

ProsMy branch was wonderful. My co-workers, for the most part, got along well. The branch is given incentive to get investment and banking referrals to me. For someone with decent sales skills and investment background, this isn't difficult job at all. I would have loved to stay with this company, as I could see how my efforts were helping the branch's bottom line. Management was pleasant. Salary was competitive.

ConsAlthough management was pleasant, they weren't very helpful. I was refused credit on multiple banking and investment closes. My referrals would sit there, and without any explanation, they would just not pay you. There is a faulty system they use for inquiries into why you didn't get paid, and to have it corrected. Always, my requests were declined, even though it was clear I was the key factor in the transaction. My branch would get acknowledged for my efforts, but I would have no credit. I learned that just about everyone in sales has had PNC deny them pay for closes. People talk about it, with acceptance. It boggles my mind. The systems are horrible, and malfunction regularly.

They have too much overlap between this program and their Private Client Group position. They lie and tell you there's no conflict or competition, then they put you in the ring and wait for the cat fight to break out.

At least in my region, the men in this position have private offices and the women have desks in the lobby. My desk was three feet from my bankers and in ear shot of everyone in the lobby. Not a good way to have wealth conversations.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet better systems. Track sales better. PAY THE INCENTIVE YOU PROMISE.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Undecided

ProsGreat company mission and values putting customers and employees first. Decisions are made on a local level allowing different markets to keep a community bank feel. Hosts year round free events for the communities and has donated over $10 million through its Grow Up Great charity to early childhood development.

ConsThere are not as many opportunists to advance once you've reached a certain level in the company, unless you want to go to a different division. The number of hours that managers are expected to work leaves no room for a work /life balance at times.

Good at fist, but after a few years it was terrible

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsThey allow a Felxible work environment

ConsHiring people from outside the bank with a higher salary. Hard to advance. Better off leaving and coming back to make a decent salary

Advice to Senior ManagementPay the people you have if you want good workers to stay

I was a customer service representative for PNC Bank in Louisville, KY

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsI enjoyed the people that I worked with. Everyone was nice and helpful.

ConsI didn't understand some of the programs implemented at the time.

Performance

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood medical coverage/flexible hours/401K/investment opportunities

ConsFrequent turnover due stress on lower level employees expected to meet unrealistic goals. Upper management does not seem to take into account the culture of each branch and it's surrounds to tailor to demographic. Bottom line seems to be only benchmark.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead Cons above and try to seek suggestions (not via intraweb) from employees. I truly enjoyed the environment until the pressure was put on sell, sell, sell a product vs. the imagined perception of putting customer satisfaction first.

Customer Service Associate

Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsGreat entry level job to start if your looking to get experience in the banking/finance industry. Overall, I thought it had a great work/life balance, good training classes and management actually valued there employees. Definitely opportunities for advancement, just depends on how much effort your willing to put forth. It honestly depends on what branch you end up at and the type of management there, it could be great place to work or not.

ConsLow pay scale even with bonus incentives and good yearly reviews. Promotions as well, just depends on your pay grade.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter compensation plans for the lower end employees.

Lack of communication

Care Center Consultant (Current Employee) Pittsburgh, PA (US)

ProsDirect supervisor and department leads are for the most part great and helpful. Good coworkers, good 401K match, and fair amount of paid holidays and sick days. Good incentive structure as well. If you perform, you will get paid.

ConsBase salary is horribly low, especially when compared to other major call centers in the Pittsburgh area. Many other call centers seems to pay nearly 50% more starting than PNC, and it causes high turnover, and not the best candidates to apply for the job. Raises are nearly non-exsistent. Goals change and shift constantly, and upper management does not communicate goals well. Communication between departments is also horrible. Work life balance, an area PNC seems to pride itself on is horrible in the care center. Vacation days are constantly blocked out, and if you want a Friday or Monday off, you better know about 5 months in advance, and even then you will probably not get the day off. Call quality is also very nit picky, and very subjective.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate more! You will save money in the long run by keeping employees around and not having to constantly train new ones. Also, open up better communication lines through different lines of business. Follow through on your promise of work life balance, and change the quality monitoring process.

Good benefits but salary is very low

Financial Sales Consultant (Current Employee) Greensburg, PA (US)

ProsIt's a job and it pays the bills. Kind of!

ConsTo sales driven. Expect to much out of employees. Long hours sometimes 11 hour days. Plus working weekends.

Worked for PNC Financial Services Group? Contribute to the Community!