PPC
www.ppc.com McLean, VA 150 to 499 Employees

PPC Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014
PPC – McLean – “Annual Turkey Drive”

PPC President & CEO Harry C. Thornsvard

Harry C. Thornsvard

PPC was a privately-owned, great company when I started, was sold, and became just another beltway bandit.

I worked at PPC

ProsThere was great camaraderie among co-workers.

ConsPerforming billable work at the same time I was trying to find my next project. Late nights writing proposals.

Company Dying a Slow Death

I worked at PPC full-time

ProsI worked at PPC for many years. In the first part of my employment the company had a very employee friendly culture and had a more egalitarian approach to sharing the companies success as most good employees were rewarded with bonuses. Things were far from perfect but I appreciated the flexibility the company offered. The egalitarian culture changed with time but it was still a good place to work until the sale to AEA in 2008.

ConsWhen the company was sold to AEA it placed great cash demands on PPC which limited the reward given to employees and created significant issues with paying the company's obligations. The culture of the company changed, good people left, and the company experienced significant fiscal hardship. The company experienced another sale in 2013 and the problems have gotten worse. Along with the fiscal problems and layoffs, the company appears to be blind to the massive incompetence it has in its senior management. This company is dying a slow death.

Advice to Senior ManagementEither take a hard look and shake up the senior management or just cash in your chips

Terrible Management, Revolving Door of employees

I worked at PPC

ProsThey had company happy hours

ConsManagement is completely Clueless... I have no idea how they are still around

Advice to Senior ManagementTraining and listening to your employees

Positive for years, then a free-fall and bottom is not yet in sight.

I worked at PPC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsAmazing people...they really believed in the firm. They are mostly gone now.

ConsOnce AEA bought PPC, the need for cash on the part of AEA was beyond the ability of PPC to produce...the pressure broke PPC. The CEO brought in for 2012 was a disaster...but to be fair, no one would have succeeded...the firm was broken and he did not have the leadership qualities to rally the troops or authority to create a new business plan. The fire-sale brought in new leadership that has not been able to break the fall and they too are now in trouble (layoffs continue as their business dwindles).

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it up...you are prolonging the inevitable.

Stepping stone at most

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at PPC full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThey offer decent salaries. If you are a self-starter and seem like you know what you are talking about, you have ability to be creative and put your stamp on projects. Provides a good stepping stone - but not a long term career.

ConsThe mindset of 100% billability is unrealistic. The company acts like a big player, but without the experience or clout. Until pointed out and questioned, HR sneakily tried to do away same-sex partner benefits.

The best company culture I ever experienced in the beginning, then two sales that changed it forever

I worked at PPC full-time

ProsBig enough to learn and grow your career but no so big that you are just a number. Amazing culture under prior CEO's, albeit the company was still learning its way and making its fair amount of mistakes they were in it and helped to ride out tough times.

ConsToo many to list. Layoffs, not enough diversity in management (women or minorities) and less than professional business practices. While layoffs will happen, some just didn't make sense. Layoffs were followed by the need to replace resources within months, didn't seem well thought out.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in rebuilding the company culture, stabilize and stop trying to be a jack of all trades. Look at the senior managers and when layoff decisions need to be made, look there first.

You'll go far if you're part of the "inner guy circle"

I worked at PPC

ProsEnjoyed working with some coworkers.

ConsThe "good-old-boy" style of management isn't exactly ethical.

Overall not a bad experience

Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at PPC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood working environment, friendly staff

ConsCareer stagnation, poor planning by management

Dying company, stay away

Manager (Former Employee)
McLean, VA (US)

I worked at PPC full-time for more than a year

ProsFlexible work schedule, good work/life balance

ConsNo buy in from senior management. Problems growing faster than resolution.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunication is key

Good experience for a short term, but long-term issues

Senior Analyst (Former Employee)
McLean, VA (US)

I worked at PPC full-time for more than a year

ProsGood opportunities for client experience. Nice people to work with. Was part of the AEG group when I worked there, which seemed to have problems, but now has been spun off, so it should be more focused on its core business. A good place for recent college grads.

ConsHigh turnover, especially among the project managers, made it difficult to build working relationships. Some project managers did not know enough technically about the services we were providing. Mid-level managers, directors, had been promoted from within, and lack personnel management training. Different consulting group specialty areas don't communicate or cooperate much with each other.

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to foster communication and cooperation among different consulting departments and sectors. (That will also promote sales.) Those promoted into supervisory positions need to take training on personnel management if they never managed people before.

Worked for PPC? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PPC reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PPC CEO Harry C. Thornsvard. All 38 reviews are posted anonymously by PPC employees.