PPL

Be The First To
Add Photos

PPL Chairman, President and CEO William H. Spence

William H. Spence

Pretty good place to work, stuck in some older mindsets

Applications Developer (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsCompetitive salary, values around ethics and safety are key. Will value their people if able to contribute and work as team players. Decent benefits. Great opportunities for work-life balance if you're a FTE, less so if you're temporary. Interesting work, things change all the time if you're in IT, at least.

ConsStuck in older mindsets regarding the ability for IT to be part of the business. Treats process over results instead of re-evaluating processes that are greater than ten years old (which in IT is a lifetime). Worried about regulatory issues even when the company and its people do due-diligence, and it cripples innovation and ability to get things done cheaply/efficiently.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaybe open up tactical/strategic discussions to the people actually doing the work, and allow the business to understand the reasons behind the decisions we make. Individual contributors are caught in the crossfire between business directives/needs and the crippling, skewed process-oriented culture on the IT side. Let's try to remember we're all on the same team, eh?

Good working environment.

ProsGood pay, good networking events.

ConsNot as much work as I would like.

Awesome place to work!

GIS Analyst (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsSuper work life balance (a week's paid vacation + ability to take infrequent unpaid vacation) and casual atmosphere in distribution operations. Ample feedback on work from both supervisors and mid management with ample room for growth. The new office is also nice, large kitchen with dining area (a fine place to meet your coworkers) new computers are also a huge plus (you'll be using them a lot and the old ones ran XP in 2013). PPL offers great pay for most positions and flexible scheduling helps ease commutes. Most jobs are easy and management quite accommodating.

ConsA consistent "ready, fire, aim" approach led to frequent delays and waste. Regulated utilities are a high stress work place and not for everyone. People may die as a direct or indirect result of your work, just the nature of electrical work.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire competent project managers and encourage follow through on projects before moving on to the next one. Overall, keep up the good work!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good

Support Attendant (Current Employee) Danville, VA (US)

ProsGreat company to work for,if you could advance

ConsIt's a great company to work for,especially if you have a school age child,because the hours are flexible and you can plan around your life.

No Diversity in the Workplace

Business Analyst Cooperative Associate (Former Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsIf you're white, a hillbilly, and deer or turkey hunt, this is the #1 employer to put in your adult working years as a PA native with nothing more than a high school or vocational education.

ConsIf you are a minority, have an IQ above room temperature, or generally seek a company on the north slope of the growth curve, look elsewhere.

Great company with a lot of long-term potential

Manager (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, great opportunities to try different jobs across different parts of the org., a lot of upward opportunity over the long-term, a great place to develop a command of the energy sector if interested.

ConsSomewhat "command & control" culture (it will be some time before a culture of employee empowerment is estabished), lack of innovation (but remember, it isn't google), culture still feels very "baby boomerish" (and I am one), some departments are very "get it done," even at the expense of the long-term (but not a universal problem).

Advice to Senior ManagementAs workforce ages out, culture will need to adjust with demands of a younger work force, keep this in mind. Also, leverage the creativity of younger staff to drive technology and process advancement

Good internship experience that opened other doors

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsStrong internship program, great pay and good people. Real projects with real implications.

ConsManagement. Things can be slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't be as judgmental, improve relationships with low level employees and be sincere.

Great Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) Lexington, TN (US)

ProsLG&E and Kentucky Utilities is a great company to work for. They have good benefits, and a great work environment. They really want their employees to grow with the company. It was like a second family, and I enjoyed going into work each day.

ConsThere are growth opportunities, but very few. I have seen many employee that where trying to move up in the company you have to leave, work somewhere else, and then get hired on in a different position.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company provides great learning opportunities. This company takes great pride in what they do and they care about the thought and concerns of their customers.

Excellent wages benefits and safety culture.

Foreman T&D (Former Employee) Lancaster, PA (US)

ProsThe best on the job and classroom training for new hire employees, The union people are work oriented.

ConsThe thinking of upper management that people should respond to company calls regardless of what ever is going in life.

Good place to work overall

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Allentown, PA (US)

ProsGood pay and benefits; flexible hours (depending on department)

ConsManagement has deteriorated in recent years; culture has become more "red tape" and less caring towards employees especially in some service areas

Worked for PPL? Contribute to the Community!