PRA Health Sciences Reviews

Updated 15 April 2015
209 reviews filtered by

1. Be very wary...

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time

Pros

It's a job and pays the bills. I wish I had known what the company was like prior to accepting the offer.

Cons

Don't plan on having a personal life. If you want to further your education, don't expect any support from Management. Yes, they do offer tuition reimbursement (a set amount) and you have to stay with the company for two years after you complete your education or pay back the money.

Advice to Management

Management needs to make it known to their employees that they actually care about them and balancing work and family.

2. In House CRA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time

Pros

Employees have a solid work/life balance

Cons

Lack of communication from management

3. System Engineer

Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Blue Bell, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Blue Bell, PA (US)

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Ok Company, nothing great about this company

Cons

Poor Management . Need to imrove a lot

Advice to Management

Please look down and see who is working and who is not

5. Great company

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is excellent, the team culture is great

Cons

It is not easy to get a promotion

Advice to Management

Take the time to develop your existing staff, as opposed to always hiring externally

Not a positive experience.

Current Employee - Senior CRA
    Current Employee - Senior CRA

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences full-time (less than a year)

Pros

My co-workers are willing to help as much as possible.

Cons

Lack of orientation, difficult systems to work in.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and make those improvements.

7. Great place to work

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Supportive atmosphere within department, upward mobility opportunities. Good benefits, company social events, and work-life balance.

Cons

Inconsistent communication between study teams.

Work at this company has deteriorated over the years.

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate
    Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

Benefits - time off, medical/dental, 401K. Competitive salary

Cons

No life work balance. It has gotten progressively worse over the last several years. Middle management can sympahize but there is nothing they can do to improve the situation for their direct reports. Upper management couldn't care less. Resourcing is atrocious. There is a lot of redundancy in work becauses so many systems that are not integrated.

Advice to Management

Bring in top senior long term CRAs, IHCRAs to be involved with improving processes. Stop letting clients walk all over us. In the long run it only sets us up for troubles with auditors. Data driven monitoring is the worst indea I've seen in 16 years in research. Reduced SDV using computer based algorithm would be better.

9. Excellent Experience

Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Clinical Team Manager in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

PRA has been a wonderful place to work as a Clinical Team Manager (Lead) since I began in mid-2014. My colleagues are competent, personable, and knowledgeable and my managers have been supportive and good resources. The key to PRA's approach to the CTM role is that they incorporate (and expect) that CTMs perform as Clinical Project Managers and you are responsible for the financial/scope/projection piece of they study you are on in addition to your typical lead responsibilities. I expect that if you immerse yourself in this role, you will be rewarded for your work -time will tell, but I have no reason at this point to think otherwise. The training for the role as well as the project specifically has been outstanding.

Cons

I am not particularly fond of the systems for CTMS and TMF so far, but admittedly they are both new to me so perhaps once I learn how to utilize them more efficiently/effectively, I will change my opinion. Other than this, I have no complaints to speak of.

Advice to Management

Please value your top performing employees and reward them with promotions when deserved. A big part of the reason I came to PRA is because I was told this occurs and I am hopeful it will continue.

Maybe it got too big

I worked at PRA Health Sciences

Pros

The Personal Time Off (PTO) is generous and flexible, even after they cut it back, and many departments allow home-based postions and/or work-from-home flexibility to one degree or another. It takes determination and strength but, with some groups and managers, it is possible to keep to a reasonable number of hours.

The long-term employees are great, they are experienced, informed and helpful.

It is probably still a good place to enter the industry and gain experience. The choice to stay long-term would be up to the individual.

Cons

Communication from the leadership follows the "Trickle-Down" model and is not complete or reliable when it reaches the lower echelons. Communication across groups follows the "Six Degrees of Separation" model where the sender does not know who the recipients should be so they send it to people they know in the hope that those people will be able to pass it on wherever it needs to go.

Some groups are moving towards having admin-only management who do not have experience in the tasks and responsibilities of their teams. This makes bottom-up communication difficult. Explaining technical or process issues is difficult for the employees doing billable work and there is a strong likelihood that problematic promises will be made to clients.

IT was very much cut down and is struggling to support the company; requests for essential support can go unanswered for weeks.

And, most unhappily, in the past few years, there has been less support for adherence to regulatory guidelines. I used to be confident in receiving Senior Management support when unethical requests were made but, now I see little to none. Those for whom I had the most respect, and in whom I had the most confidence, have left the company.

Advice to Management

The communication issues are significant; information needs to be sent from the person who has it directly to the people who need it, with a cc to those who need to know it was sent.

Communication also needs to be more open, the grapevine has beome a more reliable source for the staff than mangement communication. And, where senior management are doing things that they cannot be open about, maybe they should re-assess their choices.

Worst CRO

Former Employee - Home Based CRA
    Former Employee - Home Based CRA

I worked at PRA Health Sciences full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Offers benefits and vacation time. Decent starting salary and training.

Cons

Benefits aren't that great, managers are not always understanding of using vacation time. This has been the worst company I have ever worked for. The bottom line is all that matters, it's quantity over quality every time.

Advice to Management

Listen to your senior employees who might actually know what they are doing.

PRA Health Sciences Photos