Pacific Gas and Electric
www.pge.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Apr 19, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros:
  • "GREAT work life balance, competitive salary for the responsibilities and expectations"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Excellent opportunities for advancement, good pay and benefits, a good company with great history and sense of pride"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management"
    in 19 reviews
  • "Too many senior management layers, too dependent on outside consultants"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

best career and learning experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

Proscustomers are no.1 priority and safety of the crew

Conspolitical infighting, in the management team

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to your crew cause they are the one's who will make it happen for you, a happy crew means more prosperity and customer's satisfaction will be recognized

I was an instructor for AutoCAD and worked support through Web seminars

Lead Instructor for ACAD2012 (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment and reasonable compensation.

ConsBudget shortfalls led to dismissal

Advice to Senior ManagementI always felt good about the support I got from my superiors

A very positive place to work

Computer Client Support Analyst (Current Employee)
Rancho Cordova, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThe hours are great. The Pay is fantastic. Well developed culture. An excellent environment to learn,grow and excel in. A very well oiled IT machine.

ConsStarting as a contractor and hoping to be hired before the contract expires. The lack or contract extension capabilities. Competing for jobs against workers you become close with.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a way to get contracts extended. That would stop such a high turn over rate.

Dedicated people, management turning around company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 10 years

ProsPeople are dedicated and for the most part want to do the right thing. Great teamwork in my former department. Outstanding benefits. While work/life balance can be a challenge due to unfilled vacancies, it is sympathetic and understanding if a significant personal issue arises.

ConsNew leaders brought from the outside were a little brutal at first but the company has settled down since then. Upper management will tend to look the other way if sr. leader doesn't demonstrate the company values as long as they get results. Lack of career progression lots of baby boomers in leadership jobs. Also slow to fill vacancies which led to burnout by some employees. The market is picking up so they need to be cognizant of this in the future or they could start losing some good people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAll said, doing a great job, keep it up and continue to remember, that its the people who make the company successful.

Dysfunctional company with decreasing opportunities

Consultant (Former Employee)
San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

ProsCompany is large and relatively stable since California's PUC will never let this investor-owned utility, the nation's largest, ever go under. It also offers both gas and electric service, given the company more clout. Management locations in San Francisco and San Ramon are excellent for both commuting and lifestyle. It's trying hard to burnish its reputation for safety and service. Decent benefits and average pay.

ConsThe San Bruno natural gas accident of a couple of years ago has shaken the company to its very foundations. It has a severe public relations problem and is trying hard to re-invent itself as a "safety first" company. But the company's processes are terribly disorganized and it has brought in a lot of expensive outside consultants who are wrecking havoc with a traditionally very collegial company culture. Politics reign supreme and everyone is watching their back, especially if they report to these outside consultants or their lieutenants.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt's fine to put new systems in place and try to improve the company's processes, but it's reliance on aggressive and intemperate outside consultants is polluting a culture that worked hard for Californians for decades. It may well be that PG&E will face ever more municipal takeovers given the level of service and attitude of management. Meanwhile, many dedicated employees are losing faith with the company they thought they knew.

Be careful of the reviews - it depends on your job in the Company

Human Resources (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsLocation is good and remote areas are good to have closer to home.

ConsThe benefits have changed this year - expesive deductibles on medical and no longer a pension plan. Very stressed out mid-management that jumps the whims of change. There are "reoganization" lay-offs in management, but not at the lower level jobs. These are mostly in the Electric field and a few years ago, this was 150 people in the IT Department. Beware of this and ask around about past and future "reoganizations" disguised at layoffs to get people out that are not favored. This is a pretty large-scale practice,

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the Manager level and Director level assignments. Change the fear-based culture that is perpetuated with the "bonus" plan.

Very stressful and not very rewarding job.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Fresno, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is excellent and while the benefits aren't as good as they were they are still better than most places.

ConsThe Call Center management is horrible. Unless you're a "yes man" you will be stuck in a dead end position forever.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to "positively discipline" good employees while not touching the ones playing the system. It creates the low morale and makes for unhappy customer service reps who make you look good.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

highly regulated business with no competitive pressures

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsThe company faces virtually no competitive pressure and is a reasonably stable business.

ConsBureaucratic. Political. It really hinges upon the individual manager you work for. There is a tendency to respond to regulatory stakeholders rather than consumers.

Advice to Senior ManagementInnovate. Grow. Change. Adapt.

Good Pay! NOT sure if the level of Stress is Worth your Sanity!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
San Jose, CA (US)

ProsGreat pay and overtime is a usual choice to make even more money.

ConsThe level stress and micromanaging may not be worth the great pay. Only a few survive.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement is cool, most have been in your same shoes and paid their dues and now are managers.

Natural

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

ProsGreat Benefits, Safety Culture and they are customer focused company
The company wants to do the right thing

ConsCompany in transition and while they want to do the right thing(s) many times the culture get into they way...lots to do but not sure how to do "it"

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Gas and Electric reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pacific Gas and Electric CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.. All 327 reviews are posted anonymously by Pacific Gas and Electric employees.