Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in(in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management(in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture(in 10 reviews)

Good place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people to work with and it's at a great location

Consbig company, hard to move positions

Good learning experience.

Director (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsInteresting work and opportunities to expand ones expertise.

ConsMiddle Management (Director/Senior Director) do not share information openly. Seems political. Senior manager level with 20+ years of service seem to act very resistant to outside hires.

Good times and bad times

Analyst (Former Employee) San Jose, CA (US)

ProsLots of places you can go in the company, both regionally and occupationally.

ConsDinosaur company. Very slow moving and behind-the-times. CPUC & IBEW limits can also make things difficult.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart practicing what you preach. And start treating your lower-middle managers/supervisors as well as you do bargaining unit employees. And stop creating so many high up positions that layers of bureaucracy. (Sr director, director, Sr manager, manager, Jr manager...etc)

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Experience has been okay- company does well and their is longevity.

ProsGreat company culture- good benefits.

ConsManagement is VERY OLD SCHOOL. It takes a LOT of effort to get promoted in IT. Does not work the same in other departments. The leadership team in IT have a very negative approach on change management and have poor organizational leadership skills. They protect each other so don't get on leaderships bad side!

The left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

EHS Professional (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits, generous resources for providing gear and equipment, motivated co-workers, community involvement and an established, respected company.

ConsHuge bureaucracy, EHS group is not coordinated and often works at cross purposes. Stove-piping and lack of support for new voices and careerism characterizes much of upper management.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a look at the overall EHS organization and consolidate it. Hire some outside professionals and actually listen to their advice. deal with the issue of competition between Gas and Electric EHS organizations.

Great people, opportunities within the company

Proswork-life balance, great benefit, training, dedicated people, industry leader

Consheavily regulated, slow to make decision

Family oriented company

Supervisor (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsAutonomy of work, salary, work life balance

ConsLarge company highly regulated by Government but is not really a bad thing.

Advice to Senior ManagementTrust and empower your people

One of the Best Companies to work for in San Francisco

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsExceptionally intelligent, hard working, resourceful and extremely helpful colleagues who create a real team atmosphere.

ConsThe workload can be overload at times with crucial deadlines to be met. Sometimes in working across the board it felt like the right hand didn't know what the left hand was doing.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to keep an open door policy where one is free is discuss concerns, suggestions, support needs, etc.

Moving in a good direction, but is still trying to overcome bureaucratic problems

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsThere is some real talent at the company. Recruiting has done a great job of finding more innovative thinkers, and the organization could be on a great trajectory as a result.

ConsBureaucracy - very old school set-up, with closed door offices (a laugh in a progressive, start-up heaven such as SF). You risk being silo-ed, and the lack of coordination and information sharing between units may be difficult to overcome.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in employee safety and in your future (employees that will want to stay and give back).

Great work group teams!

ProsPlenty of work and if you show interest management will generously allow employees to expand their skills within the group by offering involvement in a variety of tasks and projects. Teamwork is abundant as is also a positive environment. Executive management communicates with employees often and takes an active role in understanding things from an employee level.

ConsBackwards hiring and promotion process in some areas. While it seems like much of the rest of the world is getting on board with hiring the person and training the skills, PG&E is a test based hiring and promotion process in many departments. The tests aren't impossible but unnecessary because if the person is already doing the job well then it would seem that a test would be a waste of valuable resources that could be better spent in conducting a better interview and/or training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho am I to give advice to management?

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!