Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in(in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management(in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture(in 10 reviews)

Senior Business Analyst in Customer Care

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe company provides a necessary and important service for society. People are generally smart and even-keeled.

ConsStrange mix of profit motive and regulated responsibility to the public interest. Can constrain business strategy and make strategy selection criteria difficult to prioritize.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn CES, our administrative staff is horribly overworked. The admin to staff ratio is far too low which means I spend time doing low-value activities that are way below my pay grade.

Great work group teams!

ProsPlenty of work and if you show interest management will generously allow employees to expand their skills within the group by offering involvement in a variety of tasks and projects. Teamwork is abundant as is also a positive environment. Executive management communicates with employees often and takes an active role in understanding things from an employee level.

ConsBackwards hiring and promotion process in some areas. While it seems like much of the rest of the world is getting on board with hiring the person and training the skills, PG&E is a test based hiring and promotion process in many departments. The tests aren't impossible but unnecessary because if the person is already doing the job well then it would seem that a test would be a waste of valuable resources that could be better spent in conducting a better interview and/or training.

Advice to Senior ManagementWho am I to give advice to management?

Benefits

Various (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsGood benefits and good people

ConsMoves slow and has to move faster

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn from the outside

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Contract Opportunity

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood People
    Great Location
    Nice work environment

ConsLengthy review process
    Shared conference room space with other contractors

Sr Systems Analyst

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Prospay, benefits, diversity, known utility brand

ConsIS leadership is dictatorship, employees walking on egg-shells and moral is not just down, but totally non-existent

Probably a good place to be at if you are approaching retirement

Expert Business Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, NM (US)

ProsCompany that's relatively immune to the economy cycles so job safety is there. Generally nice people. Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in. Company is huge on safety and does a lot for the environment.

ConsExtremely political!!! More so that any other place I've seen or heard of. It's mostly not what you know but who you know. Many people in high level positions who are not suited for those jobs but they got there through knowing someone. Upward mobility is limited. Very difficult to change processes due the regulatory nature of the business as well as people who are resistant to change.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate more openly; have less meetings to talk about things that never end up getting done for one reason or another.

Depends on your manager as to how good your experience can be

IT Individual Contributor (Current Employee) San Ramon, CA (US)

ProsLast year I loved working for an intelligent engaged manager. I was re-orged into a group that has the worst manger I have ever worked for in my 30 years of employment.

ConsContinuing on with this horrible year, my current manager does not know what he is doing. He will give me an assignment and then change it in the next few days. He is ineffective, could care less about his employees and has not sense of what his group is about. The employees are very overworked and HR knows about the lack of sufficient resources for projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementMy group includes highly educated individuals. Senior management should listen to the employees and give them credit for exposing a manager that is one of the worst I have encountered. Ensure there are sufficient resources for projects.

Not bad, but the cons are frustrating

Applications Programmer (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA (US)

ProsGreat benefits for retirement, medical is pretty good too.

ConsWork-Life balance although not pushed, is hard to control. In some departments in IS it is hard to excel in your career as you are asked constantly to write out and prove your worth for those advancements. This makes management very inpersonal, and as in other reviews, there are too many layers to management.

Reactive, political org with too many chiefs and too few indians

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people

Consdecisions come slowly. they don't know what to do with the talent they hire, internally focused mostly on themselves with supervisors and managers fighting to move one step up, a lonely environment to work in as there is really no reason for teams other than to have people under supervisors, you will walk away having learned little while watching your skills degrade, lack of tools and processes to do your job so it takes a long time to get easy things done, spreadsheet and numbers focused as if customers and employees are an afterthought, you will get blamed for any error even if you found something systemic and are trying to fix the issue, silo mentality, reliant on too many contractors who are treated as second class citizens

Advice to Senior Managementlisten and support your people, get out of your offices, and talk informally to those doing the work to learn what is going on in the organization, enable your talent, find the funding for better tools, stop the blame game

great pay and benefits culture of fear

Cable Splicer (Former Employee) Stockton, CA (US)

Prosthe pay and benefits are excellent.there are several ways to advance your career.large service territory so in time you will be able to work in area you want.

Consthere is no backup from supervisors.will work you in to the ground then when you make mistake they will not stand by you.this is due to the fact that upper managment has them in fear of loosing thier job.

Advice to Senior Managementyou have a lot of good and talented people.talk to them. listen to them.you send out surveys but they never seem to amount to anything at least while i worked there.everytime we got new senior management they put in new mandates without seeing what worked and what didnt.the co preaches saftey but in certian areas such as crew size and staffing levels the dollar always came first.qne of my biggest complaints was that when we had meetings with senior managment [vps and above] when you asked question they could talk for 5 minutes and still not answer the question

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!