Pacific Gas and Electric
www.pge.com San Francisco, CA 5000+ Employees

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Apr 01, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros:
  • "Excellent work/life balance (literally 9 to 5) for good pay"
    in 28 reviews
  • "Excellent opportunities for advancement, good pay and benefits, a good company with great history and sense of pride"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management"
    in 18 reviews
  • "Too many senior management layers, too dependent on outside consultants"
    in 10 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A lot of bureaucracy, but otherwise an OK place to work

Biologist (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than a year

ProsI had a good boss and co-workers were reasonable. Workload was heavy but interesting and manageable

ConsThey aren't organized well, and they tend to fire long-term employees

Advice to Senior ManagementGive your employees something to look forward to long-term.

Exciting work if you can stomach continual reorganizations

Customer Relationship Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for more than a year

ProsExcellent work/life balance (literally 9 to 5) for good pay
It's a great career-builder to work here if you're interested in energy / cleantech / climate
Everyone is super, super nice and acts like family
Lots of opportunity to learn, move around, and advance your career
PG&E is one of the most progressive IOUs with lots of really exciting projects in renewables, storage, demand response, EVs, etc. etc.

ConsFrequent reorganizations. I found the constant anxiety that you could be laid off / lose your job to be very wearing. It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management. It also felt like there were a lot of disconnects between upper management and folks in the field.
I struggled a lot to find a different position within the company. My perception (which may or may not be reality) is that jobs are often opened with a specific candidate already in mind. It's more like working for a government agency than not.
I also didn't love the culture (it felt very fear-based to me) but have friends who really thrive in it. It probably just wasn't a good fit for me.
On a different note, PG&E is not terribly beloved in the Bay Area. I found it tricky to read negative articles about my company every week in the Chronicle.

Disposable contractors

IT Project Manager SCADA Lifecycle (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

ProsThere are a wide variety of contract types available.

ConsA contractor can expect no consideration to be given to the continuance of their livelihood. Decisions in complete discord with any promises made during the hiring procesd can be expected. The initially stated contract length means nothing and you can expect no warning if the contract will be cut short. Even if you were let's say, in the middle of a home loan modification and loss of income would cost you your home. That would be something of no concern here despite all the early assurances during the hiring process that the contract would continue in excess of the stated length in the job req.
it's truly reprehensible, the degree to which the value of a contracted worker has become here.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdopt polices where you actually have some concern for the well being of people coming to work there, even if they are contractors. We're people with lives as well as your FTEs.

Good place to work

Computer Systems Programmer/Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary, ability to move within company

Consmost jobs are in SF

Advice to Senior ManagementMove more desirable jobs out of the city!

Great place to work for those seeking slower professional pace and stagnant work environment.

Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGREAT work life balance, competitive salary for the responsibilities and expectations. People are generally nice and non-competitive. Lots of room for internal mobility if a role doesn't work out or if you just are not competent for a job, there's another one around the corner.

The company gets a lot of bad wrap in the media and from a lot of San Franciscans due to the socialist views of many SF residents and from the San Bruno explosion, but from the inside, I think management and the folks who make up the work force are not evil or intentionally mismanaging. There is a lot of care from the workforce.

ConsThe culture is SLOW and little visible ACTION takes place. It is a very meeting driven, consensus oriented culture, which is great, but lack of initiative and decision making by those who have Manager/Director titles leads to INACTION and just a lot of wasted time in meetings. Being in management = making decision and taking accountability.

Though internal mobility is great for growth, too many employees move around due to limited growth w/in their current dept or because the job isn't working out. Thus, high rates in job transfers leads to tasks being left undone and/or employee incompetency due to inadequate knowledge to perform. The greater concern is that the true root of the high mobility rate is never realized due to people moving to get an easy promotion or because they suck at their job; sometimes it's more effective to terminate someone due to poor performance rather than make it someone else's problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementHold everyone accountable, management and non-management employees. If employees are held more accountable, then the business results will help with renewing a positive image for the company when incompetency declines.

Great benefits & people

Director's Assistant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time for less than a year

ProsThe benefits are amazing! You get a pension, matching 401k, 80 hrs a year of sick pay and much more. I have PPO medical, dental and vision and only $56 a month. Everyone I have met is so nice and easy to work with. There is also lots of room to grow and move around within the company if you so desired.

ConsLots of work. I have worked late many nights and i have been here less than a year. But this is relative to who your director is and what your director wants from you.

Working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric

ProsGreat people and excellent team work creates a wonderful working environment. Daily meetings keep everyone up to date and defined high priority task that need to be completed. They also use Quality Center which is a great tool for defect tracking

ConsOver time is often required which can be difficult when it is requested at the last moment. It would be great if they would use more automation as most of this testing, at least for the project I was working on, was done manually - which is very time consuming.

Very positive

Senior Consultant (Current Employee)
San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsDescription of culture: hard working, very competent, and not pretentious. Good representation of women and minorities in management positions. Genuine care for the safety and well-being of employees and customers.

ConsCompany undergoes organizational changes often. That being said, however, employees are kept very well informed of these changes.

Amazing place to work

Network Specialist (Current Employee)
San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor for less than a year

Prosrelaxed environment

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Lack of integrity

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

ProsGood Pay.
Better than average benefits.

ConsThe company is eager to back management even when faced with concrete evidence.
Workplace violence is not taken seriously.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your workers, they may save you from safety issues and prevent violations.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Pacific Gas and Electric reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Pacific Gas and Electric CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.. All 323 reviews are posted anonymously by Pacific Gas and Electric employees.