Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 28 January 2015
Updated 28 January 2015
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 48 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Principal

Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Principal in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Tries to make good decisions to always do the right thing.

Cons

Benefits could be improved for employees, too much negative media exposure, poor employee performance rating system

See the cons

Stressful

Former Employee - Learning Coordinator in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Learning Coordinator in San Ramon, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Employees engage with each other. Busy work.

Cons

Personal politics bureaucracy. Interim management needs more training on personal personnel issues

More support for employees with invisible disabilities

Stable, but slow moving

Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

PG&E pays very well. It's a utility company, so it's not going anywhere -- if you choose to work here it's most likely a stable source of income. They are very chill and lax about hours (coming in and leaving) as long as you finish your work. People are nice, there is a lot of variety in the company so you can certainly move around to different departments. Good workplace-life balance.

Cons

It's a government-regulated company, so it takes a lot to change anything. It can get boring because you do the same thing everyday, and it's too quiet. If you're younger, this may not be the best place to work because it can get very boring.

"Good intentions don't necessarily deliver"

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Compensation OK, parking is expensive but BART is a good option for many. Although there have been numerous promotions during the last 3 years the employees

Cons

Training is almost non-existent, tribal knowledge is the norm. Every month or so, the management team is facilitating a re-org and is more focused on where they'll end up at as opposed to working with their direct reports.

Get out of your offices and interact with your teams and provide the much needed training. Procurement department does not have adequate process documentation in order to ensure the best deals are being realized for California.
    Benefits are comparable to that of other energy companies.

Big company - good and bad

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits and ability to change jobs within company.

Cons

Very hierarchical and difficult to move up, due to employees in current positions for decades. Few positions at higher rank make it highly competitive for career growth.

Management is looking to more work with less employees... this results in overworked employees, low work life balance, and a competitive distrustful environment. Show more appreciation and trust for employees who do their best each day for the company.

I have worked with the company for six years in four different roles

Current Employee - Business Analyst in West Sacramento, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in West Sacramento, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I like that I'm now in management and it wouldn't have been possible if I wasn't successful in the Management Trainee Program.

Cons

I feel underpaid and don't feel I'm in a role that best fits my qualities.

I would like to be able to do some one-on-one training to see other positions, within the company.

Fast interview process.

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Very large company with a lot of room for growth. They pay well and offer a lot of benefits to employees and their families. They work with you to help you meet your career goals. They seem to promote from within to make room for outside hires. Because of the size of the company do not give up because getting turned down by one department does not end it for you. Keep applying.

Cons

They make payroll on a monthly basis. This will take some adjusting for those of us who are used to getting paid more frequently. Corporate office in San Francisco so traffic will suck badly. Also parking is not an option unless you want to burn a lot of gas, waste most of it in traffic, and pay crazy money for parking.

Great place to work, but corporate politics can get in the way.

Former Employee - Administrative Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Clerk in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Great location, very good pay, and great people to work with.

Cons

The political aspects of the company can be an issue. I was there for 18 months trying to become perm and things kept changing.

NA

Great company, Challenging Work, and Wonderful People

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Avila Beach, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is something for everyone at PG&E. Regardless of your particular skill set, there is a job that is suited to you. Jobs range from clerical to engineering and communications to line repair. Whether you like routine, repetitive tasks or doing something different every day, there is a job at PG&E for you.

Cons

Many community members are often annoyed/disgusted by the company. Whether it's Diablo Canyon relicensing, San Bruno, or just paying their monthly utility bills, people you'll meet every day in the community often have their own opinions about the company and will feel free to share them with you. Internal challenges, such as simply trying to do your job while also trying to comply with the myriad of rules, regulations, and management expectations can make the administrative side of the job very difficult, and will test your patience.

The company is getting too top-heavy. We've got more executives and vice-presidents than we know what to do with. We've got more work than we can possibly get done. All the while we're being told budgets are tight, we're spending too much on overtime, and we're overstaffed. We can't be overstaffed if we're all working too much overtime.

Good Contracting Experience

Former Employee - Records Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Records Analyst in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Onboarding experience was quick and easy. PG&E has a really great in-house agency that is on top of it- quick process + great communication. No micromanagement as long as your numbers were up.

Cons

Not a whole lot of interaction with other teams, very quiet work environment.

Interact more with teams, provide a little more diversity in roles, have more of an open door policy.

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos