Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
Updated 28 October 2014
3.5

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 46 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work in ca

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric

Pros

Great place to work in ca.

Cons

Nothing to report no cons

Nothing to report at this time

Too many Chief's not enough Indians

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great laid back atmosphere, Commitment to Community involvement, work life balance, career advancement promoted throughout the company, great people, benefits, and salaries.

Cons

Management does not take responsibility to make decisions… Lack of communication

Create an exit interview for employees who are leaving the company to learn why your top talented people are leaving.

a very good company with lots of benefits to employees.

Former Employee - Electrician Switchman in Hayward, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Electrician Switchman in Hayward, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

a lot of work in the field is about safety of the employee and the public

Cons

if the employee is not focus on safety then training will prepare them.

the employees are the heart and soul of the company, training lots of them should be given to employees everyday on their morning tailboard with a lot of emphasis on their safety and the publics concern.

Electric Operations Intern

Current Employee - Electric Operation in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Electric Operation in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric (less than an year)

Pros

Opportunities, company values, benefits, personal growth

Cons

office culture, culture, meetings, slow to implement new technology

Good Company to work for but expect a bumpy ride

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Overall a good company, cares about communities where it operates.

Cons

Sr. Management churn and lack of promotion from within for Sr. positions

Bumpy history. Bankrupt during energy crisis, Prop 16, Smart Meter, San Bruno.

Needs to stabilize and develop talent from within.

Great people who love their Job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bakersfield, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

PG&E offers the best pay hands down. The ambience at te company is really great and very team oriented. I've never felt more valued as an employee

Cons

there are some strange procedures on how one can move throughout the company.

I think it should be easier for an employee who is hired as a hiring Hall to move into a full time permanent position. Many times HH employees who are only just there for a little over a year and when they are dismissed the department they were apart of is left with a gap in resources that is sometimes not easily filled.

Discriminates against Disabled Combat Vets

Current Employee - Pre Apprentice Lineman in Stockton, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Pre Apprentice Lineman in Stockton, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I interviewed twice (a year apart) and got offered a pre-apprentice lineman job. I am overly qualified for this entry level position. NLC grad, Class A license, NCCCO fix sswing cab. Army combay Vet heavy equipment operator. Grounds an ibew 3 months experience doing cut and kick in the distribution portion for pge on their property.
    Was currently making the equivalent of 120k+ a year as a crane operator.s. Had some speeding tickets, and explained it was a tough adjustment coming back home from my tour over seas, which was gnarly.

Cons

They told me "You're just not looking as competitive". I saw 18-20 year old kids lacking all but NLC, barely any experience, and brown skin getting the job. Safety first. How about working with a Disabled combat Veteran first? How about giving me an opportunity that I had been working towards for over 3 years. I was working 60 hours a week and on my one day off I was driving 400+ miles to see my kids on Sunday, every Sunday. I don't enjoy being on the road like that it made me feel paranoid and vulnerable do to how routine it was, I was living in a rough part of Oakland and felt like i was being watched and followed. Got speeding tickets.

After Denying a Disabled Combat Veteran an opportunity to work for your company. And work hard! I showed up to work contracting for you with poison oak and sweat hard making all the Lineman look lazy.. Email him back explaining a little better why you cannot hire him? I understand that your company is all about looking good to the public and turning a profit because it is an investor owned Utility. After writing detailed and very humble letters to the head representatives of multiple positions (officers) asking for an opportunity to come and sweep floors for 6 months before taking me into the apprenticeship, please return that persons email.

Beware of poor management

Current Employee - H/R Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - H/R Professional in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pros - you can take advantage of training if you can get away from work. They have some tuition reimbursement, but only if the degree benefits PG&E

Cons

I worked in H/R. It was the worst working experience of my 30 year career. The management is fear-based and the Director isolates and manages up, so the uppers probably have non idea of what is happening. There is a lot of pressure to be in the top group to get a bonus, even if it involves taking down your co-workers. The managers are not very skilled, as they came up the ranks without any mentorship or leadership training. Last, I saw a lot of people "re-organized" out. This included the entire EEO investigation team. Manager-level electrical employees and others who just did not fit with a difficult Director in Electric Operations. Don't move your family to SF to take a management job. I left after a few years - worst experience - ever.

You need outside management professionals and leadership courses that are proven and not built from within. There need to be some skip-level meetings and when no one will speak, that is a clue. You need to be more involved and less top-down dictatorship. Get rid of the safety discipline and metrics for the entire company. It doesn't work.

Changing company for the better

Current Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - MBA Intern in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Most people really like working here and are excited to come to work and take a lot of pride in the company. I have never felt more supported and included as an intern and everyone really wanted me to succeed and meet new people within the company. They are looking to hire and bring in new people, lots of job and promotion prospects.

Cons

Still somewhat of an "old man" company but that is changing. It is more formal than many other companies in the bay area but it is also in a very different industry.

If you want to attract the best and brightest small steps like continuing to improve the coffee shop (HUGE improvement this summer but needs more tables and feel less cold), maybe adding an outdoor areas and some updates. The building and office spaces still feel very 1970's and for new employees entering the workforce atmosphere and enjoying the space you work in is important.

P&E

Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Davis, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Fleet Manager in Davis, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great benefits, although they no longer have a traditional pension

Cons

Management. Too many chiefs not enough indians to really do the job. They rather have a great powerpoint on how to do something rather than doing

Hire more workers and less directors and VP's

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos