Pacific Gas and Electric

www.pge.com

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated Jul 31, 2014

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 38 reviews)

• Great pay and benefits, support for volunteering (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to get your job done if you're constantly trying to prove your worth to upper management (in 22 reviews)

• Middle management presents a significant barrier to changing corporate culture (in 10 reviews)

More Highlights

great pay and benefits culture of fear

Cable Splicer (Former Employee) Stockton, CA (US)

Prosthe pay and benefits are excellent.there are several ways to advance your career.large service territory so in time you will be able to work in area you want.

Consthere is no backup from supervisors.will work you in to the ground then when you make mistake they will not stand by you.this is due to the fact that upper managment has them in fear of loosing thier job.

Advice to Senior Managementyou have a lot of good and talented people.talk to them. listen to them.you send out surveys but they never seem to amount to anything at least while i worked there.everytime we got new senior management they put in new mandates without seeing what worked and what didnt.the co preaches saftey but in certian areas such as crew size and staffing levels the dollar always came first.qne of my biggest complaints was that when we had meetings with senior managment [vps and above] when you asked question they could talk for 5 minutes and still not answer the question

Senior SAP ABAP consultant

ProsVery good Benefits, Perks, Relative stability

ConsLeadership, Outdated Technology, Slow paced environment

Contractor- 8 Mo's

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) South San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsPG&E pays well and has many open temporary contract roles available at any given time. The company is centrally located for commuters using public transportation.

ConsThe culture is terribly antiquated and lifeless. Employees wait to be told what to do and are not proactive or enthusiastic. I found most people to be very nice however there is no passion or energy to innovate or improve processes or the status quo.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

so much potential, paralyzed by politics

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Prosrecession-proof business; interesting changes in the sector (smartgrid etc); industry's aging workforce means many entry level opportunities; unions for all field and skilled labor; good benefits for all full time employees; good perqs and bonus structure for management (non-union)

Conscomplicity & passivity pervade management & corp services; field techs & customer service are better as they are on the front lines but the overall culture suffers badly from a regulatory environment that guarantees profit and quasi-monopoly. all competition then, instead of to earn market share, is internal and political, creating a myopic focus on the shareholder and the regulator at the expense of the ratepayer; borderline corrupt in places

Advice to Senior Managementvolunteer to cede all program management back to the state for open bidding and focus on managing and maintaining assets ("back to pipes & wires")

Pay isn't everything..

Service Planner (Current Employee)

ProsPay, benefits, and employee discounts. You also get to work with some really great people who care about the work that they do.

ConsLack of training, lack of concern to the environmental impact caused by construction (a very weak procedure put in place), management has this "us against them" attitude towards union employees which make communicating concerns a tedious task, and nepotism is often tolerated, and dare I say, practiced among the ranks of management.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are a lot of companies out there that issue psychological testing for managerial employees for a very good reason.. Just a thought.

Good work & great people, but highly political organization

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsThe people and challenges to tackle are tremendous. You get to work at a scale that's hard to match. There are great groups and organizations. Training, pay and work-life balance are hard to beat.

ConsThere's just a tremendous amount of bureaucracy to make things happen. The organization excels at getting in its own way with continual reorgs and shifting priorities coming down from middle management.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you really want to deliver a great customer experience, invest in our systems and put the right resources in place to deliver exceptional products and services.

Solutions Marketing Department

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat colleagues, awesome team to work with daily - including internal clients and external agencies. I was a part of the team when the department was young and growing and it was exciting to be a part of that effort for several years. Have made a lot of lifelong friends and connections. PG&E is also really willing to invest in your professional growth/development with classes/seminars.

ConsLimited opportunity for growth - already top heavy in the management arena for the marketing department specifically
    New management came on board in late 2012 and the atmosphere/culture became a lot less enjoyable
    Too many politics - both internally and with the regulatory entities - it prevents work from getting done and progress from being made

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to do better at listening to your employees and ACT upon what they are telling you in how things can be improved. There is a lot of 'acknowledgement' of the problems but no action to truly fix it. Lots of great talent has been lost and without implementing some changes, more will likely go too.

Great people, Culture needs big time updates

Program Manager (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsSuper smart and friendly people, great growth opportunities, great leadership

ConsThe SF PG&E offices haven't updated the dress code since the 80’s.

Advice to Senior ManagementUpdate our dress code Its time! Dressy casual (Jeans dressed up) has arrived and works for literally every other successful company that surrounds us in San Francisco. Walking around the SF offices feels entirely old and stuffy! And it impacts the energy. An updated look will not only reenergize people but will attract a younger generation of employees.

Good company

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOpportunities for growth, outstanding benefits and work-life balance

ConsCould improve on stuffy culture

Director's Assistant

Director's Assistant (Current Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

ProsWhat I like the most working for PG&E are their benefit programs, pension plans, tuition reimbursement program, and as well provide a child center (using lottery system) for the employees. Most of the employees are very family oriented and friendly, they don't hesitate to tranfer knowledge. They have 24/7 IT support. They concern with your healty and safety at work.

ConsThey needs do more work in their Talent Connect. Seems like the process is very slow.

Worked for Pacific Gas and Electric? Contribute to the Community!