Pacific Gas and Electric

Pacific Gas and Electric Reviews

Updated 26 November 2014
Updated 26 November 2014
3.4

Pacific Gas and Electric Chairman, President & CEO Anthony F. Earley Jr.
Anthony F. Earley Jr.

Pros
  • Good work-life balance although it's depends on a group you work in (in 48 reviews)

• ok pay and benefits but you may have to fight to get what they promised, they hire good people (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken (in 24 reviews)

• Depending on the organization and your title, there is little or no work-life balance (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Overall best company to work for!

Current Employee - CRM, Career in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - CRM, Career in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Love the people! Feels like one big family! Very flexible with family needs. Great Benefits!

Cons

Salaries are restrictive, if you are hired at a lower pay then a coworker and end up preforming better there is the potential for years of raises before you make a comparable salary. They do not do a good job of giving raises to equalize coworkers based on skillset and actual performance. Favortism occurs like in any workplace.

As mentioned salaries should better reflect actual performance and not be hung up on starting salary.

Great benefits

Current Employee - Senior Applications Processor in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Processor in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits, time off policies, work life balance, lots of employee discounts

Cons

personal growth, career advancement, leadership

Great company to work for. Was a contractor for three months.

Former Employee - Oracle Business Intelligence Developer in Portland, OR (US)
    Former Employee - Oracle Business Intelligence Developer in Portland, OR (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

I was a contract for three months. Nice and friendly place to work

Cons

Company still structuring the OBIEE implementation

Company offers great training

Stable, supportive, good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There is a great sense of community here. You are able to move around to different departments fairly freely and gain access to management easily. I feel like management really cares about the success of the company and its employees. Great work life balance too!

Cons

Parental leave policy needs some work. Just added the Wellness Center but could offer more employee benefits. Frustrating to see jobs posted that are already earmarked for others.

Keep doing what you're doing.

Great people, strong sense of public purpose

Former Employee - External Relationships in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - External Relationships in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Strong, accountable organization, clear lines of sight to goals, common alignment among teams -- everyone is rowing in the same direction. Solid development programs, pay and benefits are very competitive.

Cons

Nobody loves their utility company, so you need to check your ego at the door, and remember this is a regulated public utility.

Retire your communications leaders and get a fresh start.

Stable Company

Current Employee - Engineer I in San Ramon, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Engineer I in San Ramon, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A relaxed environment even when there is a lot of work to be done. Great benefits. Every other Friday off, unless your project demands otherwise of course.

Cons

Pretty big divide between the different departments. PGE has a lot of offices, so every time there is a change in management, project scope, or there is a reorganization in the company it is time to move around.

Great company to work for.

Former Employee - Gas Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Gas Engineer in San Francisco, CA (US)

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pacific Gas and Electric has many career advancement opportunities and believes in promoting from within. They also offer great pay, good benefits, and pensions. The employees culture is one of great pride and a love for what they do. The pros far out weigh the cons.

Cons

Mid level management is often very short sighted and more focused on their own personal gains rather than the company's overall success. Often mid level management is woefully under qualified for the positions which they hold but because of their tenure they are allowed to remain until expiring into retirement.

Good Experience

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Established organization with many opportunities. Big name respected in utility world with good benefits.

Cons

Established organization can be slow moving. Culture very rigid. Slow to change and innovate.

experience from San Ramon office to General Office - Electric Ops, incl. Energy Supply, Shared Svcs

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First, context: I feel I have a unique perspective to share because I worked in Electric Ops, including Power Generation and Energy Procurement as well as Transmission & Distribution, and Shared Services. I also have had the opportunity to work at multiple locations, San Ramon office and the General Office (GO) in San Francisco. In the last few years, I have had the opportunity to attend meetings with EVP and C-level leadership on the 32nd floor. My opinion is that the feel of the company is very different based on location and organization. The atmosphere at satellite locations is less political and generally friendlier than the GO. Also, at a company of over 20,000 employees, each EVP/SVP org. is like its own company or fiefdom, so the experience in Gas is different from say, Customer Care.

Pro's:
    + the company jet - open to employees traveling to company locations, going to the private hanger and bypassing the regular commercial airport stuff is heaven
    + you can get paid very well to do not much (to me, this is a con but I guess it depends on your point of view).
    + advancement opportunities. Let's say there are 30 VP's and they have 2 to 6 Senior Director reports who have multiple Director reports and so forth with Senior Managers, Managers, and possibly Supervisors. If you do the multiplication, there are quite a few middle management slots that pay pretty well. Maybe the odds aren't great based on total employee pool but a lot of moving up is tenure, which basically means being alive and sticking it out.
    + good benefits
    + don't have to worry about the company going under
    + work/life balance can greatly differ from group to group. for example, business finance is infamous for poor work/life balance. for the company overall, it's probably not that bad.

Cons

- Sense of hierarchy pervades everything: which meetings you can attend, being able to speak at a meeting, who you can email or call, it may factor into whether people will respond to your emails or calls, whether you need to ask permission to say something, and how people treat you. This probably stems from the old school culture and organizational fragmentation which leads to the fiefdoms. You could also label this bureaucracy.
    - You have to watch our for and mange your own personal development.

Do your homework before working for this Company!

I worked at Pacific Gas and Electric full-time (less than an year)

Pros

There are some construction jobs and professional jobs within PG&E that are well paid with good benefits. It seems that there are long term employees in general that are loyal and stay long-term. Many in management have relatives they recommend for jobs at this company, so the environment seems "very connected."

Sorry, but I would strongly suggest if considering employment here, check out the management if possible and see if there have been complaints - might be worth knowing.

Cons

From what I experienced as a new employee, it was poorly managed, unorganized, and had no established processes or training for newer employees. One-week-new hire- employees were training One-day-new-hire employees. Work was haphazardly put together in order to meet deadlines. This was confusing. When a new hire made an error, the Supervisor could be pretty vicious in return to the person. A few permanent employees made complaints to Upper Management, but no action taken. Unfortunately, problems continued. People wanted to leave. There was intolerance from supervisor towards employees with a disability! Racist remarks were made against a black-male contractor by another employee, supervisor did nothing about it! Sorry, but I can't give this company a good review.

Upper Management needs to take employee complaints seriously. My advice to Management and the CEO, do not ignore employee complaints. If there is a problem brought before you, check it out thoroughly. Provide a safe "open door" to employees (both contracting and permanent) and allow them to talk about a problem without fear of losing their job. This would be a better solution than losing employees!

Pacific Gas and Electric Photos