Panera Bread

Updated Jul 29, 2014

3.0 1,120 reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich

Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 65 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 25 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights
1,120 Employee Reviews

Decent

ProsIt is a nice company to work for. Organized and fast paced. It is possible to work your way up in the company as seen by fellow co-workers.

ConsNeed paid time off. No sick days and this is a restaurant. They make you come into work even if you are sick. Need personal days as well. They could also pay better for the amount of work and things needed to get done in a day. There could also be more staffing but they are always talking about hours and sometimes people get sent home when their help is required. Management usually helps in this situation.

Advice to Senior ManagementRaises should be automatic. Understand that when someone is sick that we cannot always go to the doctors office as no insurance is provided from the company and it is expensive to go to the medical office.

Cashier (Part-time)

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat place to work. Worked all through out high school. Had some awesome managers and friendly coworkers. Got to eat a lot of good food and tasty treats.

ConsNot too many negative things to say about Pan era Bread as an employee. As a consumer I question is it really that healthy?

Advice to Senior ManagementShow us your ingredient lists.

Working with panera bread

ProsGreat People you work with

ConsSometimes rude costumers but never let that get to you

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Busy!

Panera Associate (Current Employee) Murrysville, PA (US)

ProsWorking with a good group of people. Always an opportunity for climbing the ladder. I became a certified trainer 6 months after I started.

ConsFast pace working environment depending on the location. May have to perform multiple tasks at once.

Awesome company!

Day Baker (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsHappy vibe! Donation of leftover bread every night!

ConsCommunication is slow. Snobby customers.

Baker

Night Baker (Current Employee) Johnstown, PA (US)

ProsYour alone, usually at most one other partner to get the bake done; You can play what ever music you'd like to listen to so long as you bring it. If you finish your bake early you can leave early.

ConsLearning curve to manage everything to performing a solo bake.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay-check pick up should be whenever I want to pick it up; should not have to structure my day around your rush hour to pick up my check.

Good food, good co-workers

Cashier/Barista (Former Employee)

ProsRelatively easy job. Co-workers were all pleasant, hard-working, easy to get along with. Management responded to problems quickly, and they always kept you busy. Plus. You get to eat at Panera for relatively cheap. They hired me on at a better than average pay rate. Overall, great company.

ConsThe discount was only for one meal during your shift, and couldn't be used on a day off.
    The work does get to be repetitive. Sometimes you would have to pick up the slack of other employees, but that just kinda happens at all service jobs. Overall, not too many complaints.

Great high school/college job

Associate Trainer (Current Employee) Omaha, NE (US)

ProsFlexible schedule
    65% off food.
    People are fun to be around
    More than minimum wage

ConsDemanding for what you get paid
    Higher management turnover.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou're working your employees a little too hard and expect a lot. Panera 2.0 is suppose to ease what is expected of employees.

great environment

Shift Manager (Former Employee) Naperville, IL (US)

Prosstrong crews
    good benefits
    great discount on food
    clean stores
    good training

Conscrew members paid more than shift managers
    many responsibilities for too low pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay shift managers more for their hard work

Overall good job, no room to really progress

Cashier/Barista (Current Employee) Knoxville, TN (US)

ProsThe company takes pride in its image and providing quality food and service. There is a strong emphasis on cleanliness and relationships with customers. I have a lot of regulars that I know by name and remember their order. Some of my managers have been really good about maintaining quality while remaining respectful of employees.

ConsScheduling is very unpredictable, and you don't have consistent hours. Quite a bit of gossip between managers and between employees. A lot of the younger employees slack off and leave others to do their work. My biggest problem with the company is the way they continually hire managers from outside the existing employee base. My GM is great, but some of my other managers have been petty and rude.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsistently treat employees with respect and allow them to progress. Understand that the workload is a lot for the compensation received.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!