Panera Bread

3.1
1,213 Reviews

Panera Bread CEO Ronald Shaich
Ronald Shaich

Pros
  • You get a discount on food and I met a lot of great people working there (in 65 reviews)

• They have a good food discount-65% on shift, 40% off shift (in 50 reviews)

Cons
  • many employees don't work hard so those that do just end up doing double the amount of work (in 25 reviews)

• IT is a minimum wage paying job best fit for a high school or college student (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

Rad!

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time

Pros

Friendly environment to work at

Cons

A lot of the associates are still in high school so there's still some immaturity

Cool Job

Former Employee - Associate Trainer  in  Farmingdale, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer in Farmingdale, NY (US)

I worked at Panera Bread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- good people
    - good cause

Cons

- managers often changing - difficult to develop relationship
    - minimum wage pay with no raises

Night baker

Current Employee - Night Baker  in  Herndon, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Night Baker in Herndon, VA (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to work alone.

Cons

None. This is the best place to work! All the bakers in my area are just awesome!

Keep up the awesome work!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work for beginners

Current Employee - Associate  in  San Antonio, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in San Antonio, TX (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for less than a year

Pros

flexible hours, great managers, made great friends, alright discount

Cons

A lot of work. It gets super busy during lunch. Line out the door. Some coworkers just get to caught up in talking and not do their job.They just aren't aware of the thing that need to be done.

Try not to have favorites. Tell people they are doing a good job when they do a good job.

Panera bread is a fun place to work, but not a place for a career.

Former Employee - Associate Trainer
    Former Employee - Associate Trainer

I worked at Panera Bread full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Leadership development, fun environment, great customer base

Cons

Corrupt management, early hours, double standards

Quit acting like you rule the world... You serve bagels and sandwiches.

Good experience

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

Pros

Great experience, tons of learning, easy job. Everyone's pretty welcoming.

Cons

Your day and overall opinion on the company 100% depends on who your managers are, I've had awesome ones and awful ones.

Solid company

Former Employee - Associate  in  Montgomery, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Associate in Montgomery, AL (US)

I worked at Panera Bread part-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly managers and co-workers and pretty good training.

Cons

Little autonomy over schedule and development within store.

Panera (Night) Baker

Current Employee - Night Baker  in  Cincinnati, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Night Baker in Cincinnati, OH (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

No customer service, no boss lurking over your shoulder, few people in the building

Cons

Be mindful of whether you are applying for a corporate cafe or a franchise. The franchises DO NOT offer all of the benefits listed on Glassdoor.

I've worked for both corporate & franchises. If you like a more structured environment that holds you accountable for your work ==> corporate. If you like doing whatever you want, even if it goes against company policy, just to get through your night then the franchise will be perfect for you.

Beware...there are a couple of different franchise holders out there & I only speak of the one I've worked for...BOTW

Your bakers are your "bread and butter", lol. R&D keeps piling more & more on us. We CANNOT keep turning out the Gold Star product your customers deserve for the price they're paying if we don't get help. 1 person CANNOT do a $2200 bake (flatbreads...OMG!), clean, do dishes, prep for tomorrow and have everything out for retail in an 8 hr shift WITHOUT CHEATING & TAKING SHORTCUTS.

Friendly and inviting place to work. Good part-time flexibility and opportunity

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Skokie, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Skokie, IL (US)

I have been working at Panera Bread part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a great place to start out in customer service. What I enjoyed most about being here were my colleagues and the regular customers. Being able to work flexibly part-time while is school was a major plus. You have the ability to train for different areas and become a mentor to new employees. Loved being able to take home left over goodies at night

Cons

Compensation is low as expected, and turnover of part-time front-facing help is high.

Implement an incentive program which keeps your successful cashiers and employees at work

Cashier

I worked at Panera Bread

Pros

Work life balance is great. They start you out with a decent amount of hours and depending on if you'd want more or less they'd be very understanding. Very comfortable and friendly work place. I had 6 managers all together but 2 of them relocated. Honestly, they were the nicest and most helpful people. So were the co workers! 50% discount is nice as well! I didn't receive any benefits due to me not wanting them but i hear they're nice. Opportunity for advancement is definitely an option too!

Cons

Pay is a little low for the amount of work that has to be put in. Guarantee if you go work at Burger King, Mcdonalds, Wendys, etc. you'd be doing less work for the same pay. Employees aren't too dedicated. A lot of times there wouldn't be enough people working causing stress on the ones who were there. Managers like everyone but definitely have favorites. I was lucky to be one haha. Customers constantly complaining several times a day about messed up orders or items we ran out of and cashiers take the blame until management steps in. The 30 minute break is really a 20 minute break by the time you actually sit down with the food. Sometimes the line is out the door the ENTIRE day for hours. Obviously you can't do anything about that when working at a popular place but it gets very repetitive after 7 hour days of non stop customers and stocking. Customers were always complaining about the constant menu changing which i also think is a problem. Certain items are taken off the menu in order to try out new products for that period of time, but sometimes those items are very popular and people aren't as open to try new things when they can have their regular meal. Keep products that are big sellers and dispose of the least appealing ones. Also, for a "healthy fast food alternative" I believe prices are just too high for the small portions we gave out.

Worked for Panera Bread? Contribute to the Community!