Party City

Updated 4 March 2015
Updated 4 March 2015
3.2

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy (in 22 reviews)

• flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies (in 26 reviews)

• There was a low pay, specially if you where younger than 18 years old (in 22 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Hires on the spot Easy going, Easy work Especially for a People/Party person

Cons

Nothing really,... i'm very please

i'm sure they know

Going great so far

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Boca Raton, FL (US)

I have been working at Party City

Pros

Always busy, store layout is simple and easy to remember. Great if it's your first retail job

Cons

High expectations for completing jobs in a certain amount of time

Be understanding and patient.

General Manager

Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time

Pros

Great employee benefits for tenured employees.
    Promotion of lower level manager positions, team leaders, Assistant Managers are usually conducted from with in.

Cons

No longer looking for a manager who can think and do what is necessary to help a store make money. They would like a cookie cutter manager who only does what is asked. No room for regional or local changes.
    If you are looking for growth into the upper level of management, District level or above, Party City does a very poor job of promoting from with-in.

There was a time when managers could make decisions to merchandise cretin product that would turn and generate revenue however now District Managers are so afraid of doing something that was not directed that they do not allow for any change in the layout even if one can show it will generate sales.

Good place to get work experience

I worked at Party City

Pros

This was my very first job I ever had. It was lots of fun and they hire lots of other young students. It was a great place to learn customer service skills and how to be an employee.

Cons

-They mostly hire for the Halloween season. Hard to get hired on after the season. Wasn't there long enough to learn all of the managements name or to create meaning relationships or references.
    - minimum wage.

Party City Part-Time Sales Associate Review

Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Part-Time Sales Associate in Carbondale, IL (US)

I worked at Party City

Pros

I worked at Party City part time during college. It was a fun and easy job. They gave me the time I needed off for classes and tests. Also during Halloween time it is a lot of fun.

Cons

Min. wage job and you might not get as many hours as you want. It can get slow during certain times of the year.

Around Halloween time it's very busy.

Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Hawthorne, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Halloween Sales Associate in Hawthorne, CA (US)

I worked at Party City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It's a fun environment to work in you get to meet a lot of great new people and the customers that come in are sometimes nice sometimes rude

Cons

When the store is packed its gets really really hot and the ac you can't really feel and the pay is minimum wage that could be way better the amount of money that comes into the store.

Sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Rochelle, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New Rochelle, NY (US)

I worked at Party City

Pros

Great work environment and great co workers.

Cons

Low pay and long hours.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moline, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate/Cashier in Moline, IL (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time (more than a year)

Pros

It Is a Fun, innovative, creative, and spontaneous Job. There is always something to do, some one to assist. During the Summer and the warmer months of the year you are always busy and staying on your feet, your moving and working. Halloween is so much fun.

Cons

During the colder months we are slower in hours and are not as busy, so the days drag on. We may get a lot done in the store, due to the lack of actual customers.

Keep it up.

Party Store... need I say more?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Party City is such a great environment to be in with great customers and even better coworkers! Everyone is happy, and why not? It's a PARTY EVERYDAY!
    I have had the pleasure of working for Party City for almost 4 years. We work as a team. The upper management (GM's, DM's, RM's & even corporate) listen to any issues and then work with you to make Party City an even better place to work and shop.

Cons

It's retail... There will always be that one customer. At least with Party City, most of our customers are happy; they're celebrating some awesome life event that we get to be part of and hopefully make better.
    We have such great products and crews that we usually can turn that "one customer's" frown upside-down and change their day for the better.

I've had the amazing opportunity to visit our corporate office last year. Everyone was so welcoming and really listened. Many great changes were made based on the feedback we gave.
    So first, thank you.
    My suggestion would be to have a better communication flow between corporate departments and keep listening to your stores.