Party City

www.partycity.com

Party City Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable(in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor)(in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing(in 19 reviews)

disorganized

Prospay well, expanding, easy retail

Consunorganized, a lot of work with no recognition

Great first job

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Columbia, SC (US)

ProsFun environment and it's a great place to gain some work experience if you've never held a job before. You can learn a variety of skills such as how to run a cash register, stocking the merchandise, blowing up balloons and learning how to deal with customers face to face.

ConsHalloween, which is the biggest time of the year, is an absolute chaotic mess. If you survive October, the other 11 months are a piece of cake.

Advice to Senior ManagementJust continue to find ways to make October as smooth as possible

Fun corporate environment, but underpaying

Copywriter (Current Employee) Pleasanton, CA (US)

ProsThis company has a fun environment with very likable people. Working with party supplies is, of course, enjoyable. Full-time work with benefits.

ConsVery limited availability for upward movement. High employee turnover. Less-than-ideal location. Frequent promises for raises and promotion are made in all departments, without follow-through from the executive level.

Advice to Senior ManagementDespite product sample giveaways, the company should provide more amenities for the employees. Chairs are horribly uncomfortable and difficult to have replaced by management. Refusal to grant raises keeps morale low and employees frustrated.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not a company for advancement

Cashier, Customer Service (Current Employee) Bronx, NY (US)

ProsIt's a great working environment. Its always busy which is a plus because you are not looking at the time all day. It's a great job for teens as a first job. It's a great learning experience. Helps improve your communication skills.

ConsAdvancement in this company depends on the store you work in and the general manager. A lot of work at times that can be overwhelming especially, when there are not a lot of associates working on certain busy days. Dealing with a lot of irate customers that don't agree with a lot of Party City policies. If you been here a long time you don't see much of a raise only like 10 cents or 20 cents a year. They try to pay you the least amount of money. Management bottom line is about a big raise at the end of the year by not going over payroll, so you get less hours a week and this contribute to less workers on a busy day. Don't abide by the labor laws, you work 10 hours and over with a 30 minute break only and a lot of associates work all day no break and no one cares.

Ok first job.

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Olympia, WA (US)

ProsFriendly managers, helping people find just the right costume.

ConsMinimum wage poor training low hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter training for new people.

Eh

Part-Time Sales Associate (Current Employee) Lewisville, TX (US)

ProsNice people, great hours during Halloween, easy work, easy pos systems, nice management. Fun during Halloween meeting new people and being consent lay busy.

ConsConstant management changes, bad hours during off seasons, bad pay, not enough people during the day. Takes for ever to get a raise or a better position in the company

Advice to Senior ManagementAll the management should be on the same page because sometimes there not. And hire more people during the day at least two associates

Best career choice I've ever made.

Human Resources (Current Employee)

ProsGreat work/life balance. Fast growing company with many growth opportunities. There is a lot of long tenured associates who have grown through the ranks. This shows me talent is rewarded and appreciated. Overall the best retailer I've ever worked for.

ConsIn 4 years I have nothing negative to say about Party City. The company has shown it is dedicated to the success of its teams.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to focus on internal talent and training and development.

Learning Experience

Sales Associate (Former Employee) Conyers, GA (US)

ProsYou get to meet and interact with a diverse group of people.
    You get to help people plan their parties.

ConsNo sitting, always standing.

Advice to Senior ManagementReward hard work more often.

I have never loved a job more ( all that changed when those who lead us changed)

ProsFun seasonal always changing Christmas off no black Friday great discount

ConsLong days managers in cali now hourly making it difficult to get everything done leaders not open to conversation put up or shut up mentality. Hire from out side their own work force and pay better than when promoted from within raises are a joke. Company direction and support of it's Team just not there

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that All employees need to make a living and pay to that not to the benefit of the companies bottom line we are the idea makers the ones who put a face to the Party City name

Neutral

Sales Associate (Current Employee) Wheaton, IL (US)

ProsIt tends to be a fun environment for the employees. The balloon crafting is also a good and fun skill you will learn. Plus is employee discount of 30% which actually comes handy.

ConsManagement is not the best. All of the candy you are surrounded by is extremely tempting!

Advice to Senior ManagementThere needs to be better training, more performance evaluations and better pay!

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!