Party City
www.partycity.com Rockaway, NJ 5000+ Employees

Party City Reviews

Updated Apr 13, 2014

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros:
  • "Flexible hours/schedule and decent easy money"
    in 15 reviews
  • "30% employee discount that also covers immediate family members"
    in 14 reviews
Cons:
  • "The minimum wage was pretty disappointing"
    in 17 reviews
  • "retail means average pay, little room for advancement or career development"
    in 9 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Nice friendly co-workers and supervisors, even in the customer chaos the Management was always solid and willing to help

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

ProsVery nice people, helpful, willing to provide advice, as well as good natured.

ConsYou will work hard and the pay is...well, minimum wage.

Good job, bad career.

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Simi Valley, CA (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe pay is above minimum and the customers you get coming through are primarily women looking to shop for parties, making sure that almost everybody who walks in there is in a good mood to begin with. The management at my store are all awesome and incredibly flexible with availability, hours, and getting days off.

ConsWorst. Music. Ever. It's all covers done by horrible imitators of the original songs. The only other complaint is that usually Party City hires outside of the company for management positions and doesn't usually hire up from within the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire from within. We know so much more about the ebb and flow and inner workings of the stores that I feel we are much better equipped with the knowledge to address issues that arise compared to those who are just coming into the company with no prior experience of working in a Party City store.

Fun environment to work in.

Team Lead I (Current Employee)
Coral Springs, FL (US)

I have been working at Party City for more than 3 years

ProsVery relaxed job, easy to get your foot in the door. They mostly only hire during Halloween for temporary and then keep a handful of people that showed potential.

ConsLow pay. Everyone starts at minimum wage and when they give you a raise once a year its literally pennies. Last year my raise was .05 cents the year before that it was .11 cents.

Advice to Senior ManagementOnly store managers get salary. So if youre a Assistant Manager youll be paid hourly working 55 hours a week.

good first job

Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Centennial, CO (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Proseasy, learned alot, flexible, easy-going, fun atmosphere. My managers were really fun and would let us decide which task we wanted to do for the day (Register or floor).

ConsI hated saying the same script everyday to check people out. There were angry moms mad over balloon orders in which they picked out the color of the balloons. Minimum wage pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementAllow there to be promotions for your workers. Encourage employees to stay.

A Company in Transition

Sales Associate (Former Employee)
Mississauga, ON (Canada)

I worked at Party City full-time for more than a year

ProsLearning retail from the ground up in a store that does party really well. In particular, a good starting place for future event coordinators or doing the seasonal stint at Halloween to learn the ropes of costuming.

ConsMore that most retail environments, Party City is seasonal and does not make any commitment concerning hours. Don't work here if you need a stable income as very few of the staff get this status.

Not a bad seasonal job

I have been working at Party City

Pros- Interacting with customers
- Fun, young group of co-workers
- Always on your feet
- Got to do a bunch of different things (stocking shelves, stock room, costume wall)

Cons- Communication with management was limited
- Was difficult to get my work schedule as I was never put on the calendar (had to call in multiple times just to get in touch with a manager)
- Job only lasted a few weeks

LOVE WORKING AT PARTY CITY.

General Manager (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for less than a year

ProsEveryone I work with in my district is wonderful. Supportive, helpful and genuinely wants to be there for each other. I was given extensive hands on training before getting my own store and the experience could not have been more positive. Love my job.

ConsRetail is always challenging. But, it's worth it if you've got it in your blood. If you like hands on, you will love this job. Nothing ever stays the same and there is always something to change. Love that no two days are alike. There is no sitting around on this job.

How many times can you do the same thing over and over before you get it right?

I have been working at Party City

ProsIts a job I guess

ConsPoorly run operation, Its like a dysfunctional family up in corporate, Never ending saga with how many times we have to set the same planogram over and over cause they change their mind every other day.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou guys really need to get your sh*t together

Great party merchandise

Team Lead (Current Employee)
Boston, MA (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for less than a year

ProsFun place to work helping customers to throw a party for any occasion. Very kids friendly

ConsCommunication is very lacking. They need to realize that their employees are their most valuable assets.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared to work very hard.

Love my job, more some days then others

Cashier/Sales Associate (Current Employee)
Port Orange, FL (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than 3 years

ProsFriendly co-workers. Love doing balloons. Flexible scheduling. Learn a lot that will help you in similar future careers!

ConsCashiers answering store calls while on register, store managers worried more about there tasks then helping on floor. Should be able to split shifts into different assignments in the store .

Advice to Senior ManagementChange how front end is handled

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Party City reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Party City CEO Jerry Rittenberg. All 254 reviews are posted anonymously by Party City employees.