Party City Reviews

Updated 17 August 2014
Updated 17 August 2014

2.8

Jerry Rittenberg

Pros
  • flexible hours (usually), shifts aren't too early or too late, most managers can be very agreeable (in 16 reviews)

• This company has a fun environment with very likable people (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • No room for advancement (took me 4 years to be promoted to a supervisor) (in 10 reviews)

• The minimum wage was pretty disappointing (in 19 reviews)

More Highlights

So much fun!

I have been working at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

It's very easy to learn the job. It's basically stocking shelves, cleaning mirrors and fitting rooms, and helping customers. Hours are very flexible. 30% discount.

Cons

During Halloween, hours are extremely limited unless you're availability always free. It's very hard to be promoted.

It was a fun experience although it was only for holloween. I would definitely return.

Former Employee - Stock Associate  in  Miami, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Stock Associate in Miami, FL (US)

I worked at Party City for less than a year

Pros

The hours were flexible and the managers were cool.

Cons

It was hot outside when I had to wear the constume to promote other costumes.

Okay place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Arlington, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Arlington, TX (US)

I have been working at Party City part-time for more than a year

Pros

The best reasons would be for the people and the environment. Youre taught well, and its an okay job.

Cons

Hardly any improvement to move up in the company, not good pay, sucky hours.

Don't make decisions on things you don't know.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Party City- Meh

I have been working at Party City full-time

Pros

Whats good? Employee discount is 30%.
    You get good experience with setting planograms with constant changes every season

Cons

Whats bad? 47.5 hours per week. Working weekends. Lack of payroll hours and unattainable expectations with those hours.( I know... thats retail!) Lack of care or concern about employees or understanding of specific store issues. Management acts like every store is a cookie cutter store and there are no unique situations. Zero respect for store management and store personnel from anyone in corporate or DM level and above. It takes DAYS and sometimes weeks to get answers to basic store questions and even with personal HR related questions. Lots of chiefs but very few true leaders.

My advice to management: DM's and above- Understand your management and employees better. Being a dictator with very little advice or knowledge sharing is terrible for morale. Constantly threatening management with termination instead of getting to the heart of the real issues makes everyone uncomfortable.

To corporate: ANSWER OUR EMAILS! Takes too long to hear back from you. Stop pushing it back on us for more info. I dont have time during the day to be in the office answering emails to questions that you should be able to get the answer and solve my problem.

Good place if you
     are a new manager

I have been working at Party City

Pros

great discount and nice customers

Cons

they really ask a lot of the team and it never seems to let up. Not enough help but standards need to stay at a high level.

Dynamic and exciting organization!

Current Employee - Region Manager  in  East Rutherford, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Region Manager in East Rutherford, NJ (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work/life balance, fair compensation, training, development opportunities, and strong senior leadership.

Cons

Minority of retail chain is franchised. In general, these locations are not operated as well as the corporate stores. This impairs the brand image.

Good working environment.

Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate  in  Westminster, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Sales Associate in Westminster, CO (US)

I worked at Party City part-time for less than a year

Pros

Meeting new people, learning retail basics, fun atmosphere, 30% discount, always have something to do, good first job, good pos system

Cons

Halloween brings a lot of stress, management doesn't always listen to concerns, not enough training, don't have the opportunities you can find in other profession (raises, promotions, ect.)

You can work 15 hours one week and then work 3 hours the next week! They hire too much people for one small store!

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales  in  Ajax, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales in Ajax, ON (Canada)

I have been working at Party City as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

You get 30% off products

Cons

Bad hours , Your feet will KILL after your shift

Wonderful perks but low morale/ consideration from management

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser  in  Rockaway, NJ (US)
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Rockaway, NJ (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Fun work environment, generally friendly coworkers, samples sales, several holiday parties per year.

Cons

Management doesn't seem to recognize when you go above and beyond - that is automatically expected. Constant re-doing of work because management changes their minds. Micro-managing/ unrealistic expectations for timelines given. Dates often move up and extra time needs to be put in to accomplish goals.

More thought should be given to some of the changes demanded at the last minute - if it will ultimately be beneficial to stores, that makes sense but often, the changes are "just because" and create chaos, drastically multiplying workloads for the current project and future projects. Processes need to be streamlined and adhered to by everyone, more discipline for those that are careless or ignore processes - the additional workload created by broken processes is extreme. It should be the exception, not the norm.

Started off OK, but company is headed in the wrong direction.

Current Employee - General Manager  in  Detroit, MI (US)
    Current Employee - General Manager in Detroit, MI (US)

I have been working at Party City full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Actually get to enjoy holidays( Halloween is their Christmas) , good pay, only 2 nights a week

Cons

Hardly ever promote from within
    Nepotism and favoritism are commonplace
    Get used to changing things 3 and 4 times

Choose a path and follow it. It is hard enough to change things, let alone 3 and 4 times. Promote from within instead of hiring from the outside for management positions. You are going to lose good people because there is no communication why people that are falsely promised promotions do not get one.

Worked for Party City? Contribute to the Community!