Paycom

Updated 25 February 2015
4.2

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Excellent

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great team, allowed overtime, catered lunches.

Cons

None really, but if your bosses are busy with current projects, it's sometimes hard to get direction.

Amazing!

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom has really changed my life and I couldnt be happier. Yes, the job can be "stressful" but thats life! The people are all amazing. I've grown so much in the last few years both professionally and personally. The money is amazing! So much opportunity and it just keeps getting better.

Cons

Fairly intense first year, but once you get through it its all worth it!

Feb 24, 2015Representative

Thank you for your candid review of Paycom!

I guess I've been drinking the koolaid

Current Employee - Payroll Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Payroll Team Leader in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is easily the best in town. People are happy to be at work each day. Even during the busiest time of year, you'll still see smiling faces. That's because we know (at least those of us who have been around love enough to see it) that Paycom will take care of us. If something doesn't work, they fix it. We take frequent employee surveys and upper management actually listens. Seriously, I have the vacation time to prove it.

Cons

The end of the year is hard. There's no way around that. But, they are up front about that fact during the hiring process.

Never let our culture stop being a priority. The people at Paycom are the reason for its success.

Sales Representative

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Pay. This really is the only thing the position has going for it. And that's if you can learn the business, have success in selling, and have a lot of luck. If you really give it your best shot, you will probably make a decent amount of money.

Cons

This is a strong word of advice/caution for people with families. The work/life balance is horrible. In my interviews, I was told the job is 7:30 to 5:00 in most offices with a one hour lunch break. You must not expect this to be true. I would say the company is border line deceitful about how much it will truly require of you to maintain your work load in this position. There is truly no possible way for you to keep up with everything in this position with normal work hours but they certainly don't tell you that in your interviews. Also, you are made to feel terrible and like a constant failure until you put in more hours. It is extremely wrong and unhealthy to do this to people. I left a good job because I was recruited for this position. In theory, this job really did seem like a fantastic choice. Now this job feels like my nightmare because it has taken away so much time from my spouse and children. It was strongly suggested to me by upper management to rearrange my personal time with my spouse and kids just so that I could work more. This job is terrible for families especially if you value your family over money. The only thing upper management seems to value is money. People in my position at my particular office are not looked at as valued human beings but rather work horses for more money. It's a sick environment in that aspect. I cannot speak for other offices or management as a whole since this my personal experience within my office. If you are a young single person, this job would be great. You will still have no life, but at least you won't be forced to cut down your own spouse and children for the "good of the company."

You should be up front with people that are interviewing for the sales rep positions about what will be required of them. You hurting young families by making this seem like a relatively "normal" 8 to 5 job with a lunch. Hard work is fine. But not at the loss of sleep, time to eat, and time to spend with family. Your managers you are hiring need some sort of accountability for what they are saying to their employees or how they are actually managing their people. In my case, there is no management...just filling us with fear that we will all lose our jobs if we don't "figure it out." Your managers should never be able to get away with telling people to spend less time with their children so they can work more. There should absolutely be correction for that, and there should be a safe place employees can go to report things like this about their management without fear of losing their jobs. I would think that if you give more kindness, more time off, and not just use fear tactics on people, that your company would thrive even more. People would be happier, actually enjoy their job, and be more loyal and hardworking for a company that treats them with respect. I want to love this job. In theory I could love this job. But I was strongly asked to spend less time with my family to work more. How am I supposed to just deal with that. I'm already working from about 6:00am to 5:30pm and then work more in the evening and working some on weekends.

Feb 23, 2015Representative

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We understand and appreciate the need for work/life balance and just like any career; the balance is more easily attained with experience. We pride ... More

Excellent workplace and Lots to learn

Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Software Developer Intern in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom

Pros

I interned at Paycom in the summer and loved this place.
    The pay was good enough.
    The people were very friendly and I even got a full-time oppurtunity after my intership was over.
    The Luncheons and Code-A-Thon were very enjoyable.
    Nice Management as well and very good training programs.
    Many benefits including: $4 lunches, $1 health insurance, 401k matching and many others.

Cons

Can't think of any cons.

Great work.

It's not a perfect company, but it is working towards it

Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I am going to start out by saying the Transition Specialist Role at Paycom is not an easy one. That being said, since I started a year and a half ago I have seen nothing but vast improvements in our process/job tasks, and department.

Compensation: Since I started here, the compensation changed for the better 2 times. First, one to two months in, they raised the compensation after processing your quota by $5k. Then at the end of 2013, they increased the starting base salary by $6k. In a little over a year I have hit two quotas resulting in a 2 base increases plus commissions around $2-3k per month. This is a busier office, but it is not out of the ordinary by any means. Plus there is a car allowance as you will drive a good amount at this job.

Process: I would have to say the best thing about this company is managements ability to listen to feedback. Being a relatively new department, and one that not many other payroll companies have, we did not have a lot of guidelines to start out. Our management team has listened to our feedback in many areas to make our jobs easier to do. That being said, there is still a lot of room for improvement, which I will discuss below, but it definitely is appreciated to see your concerns being handled.

Department: As I said, our department is always changing, and in my experience it has been for the better. When I started there were two regional managers, so outside of hitting your quotas for base bumps, the job growth potential seemed kind of bleak. At the end of 2013 they promoted 5 or 6 additional people from our department and divided the company's offices into regions. This gave me hope that they will continue to grow this program, and even though my future might not be outlined currently, there is a good chance that I can grow into a role that may not even exist at the moment. We have also worked very hard to get the office balance back in check and work with the sales reps, and not for them as it seemed was the norm.

This may all seem happy and scripted but despite my great respect for this company and the people running it, there were definitely sometimes that I was not this content in my role and had thoughts of leaving.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: During the busy times of the year, it can get kind of crazy. It was not uncommon for me to be answering emails late at night, working on projects way past 5, being on site with a client past hours, or driving home or to a client after or before work started. It is not required, but at the time, I felt it was the only way that I would be able to complete my job and keep projects on track. I think the hiring of the many more TSRs will help this greatly, I think we have almost tripled the amount since I started. It is always going to be a stressful job, but the workload on top of it was at some points unmanageable. This being said, I did have support from my regional manager which is probably one of the main reasons I am still working at this company.

PTO/Sick: Pretty much every review will have this topic in the cons section. Do I wish we had more PTO or Sick, absolutely. Coming out of college it is a stark difference in free time. I wish I could take a long vacation, but long weekends are it for the most part. I will say that I work with a lot of companies in the transitions, and our policies are right about on par with most businesses. Yes, other companies offer great PTO plans, but often at the risk of another benefit. I wish it was better, but I cannot say it is worse than the standard policy

Keep taking feedback, we are the experts on our role and you have been doing a great job at making it a role we want to work in. I think we have a truly passionate management team and they are growing this into a company that everyone will want to be a part of. I am glad I got in when I did.

Change. Opportunities. Growth. Reward.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Change: Paycom is constantly changing and moving at a fast pace because we do what it takes to make our clients happy with our customer service and products. We are constantly creating new ideas and innovating products to improve our system.

Opportunities: This is not an easy job, but the best part of it is that we receive opportunities daily. Most would see these as "challenges" but it is all on your perspective. Because of the constant changes and developments, this brings opportunities to think outside the box, create new ideas, learn new skill(s), and improve yourself personally and professionally. You will learn something new at least once a day.

Growth: These opportunities that we receive daily only stretch us to grow personally and professionally. This is where our most success comes from. If we see ourselves improving then our work effort will increase. Paycom and ourselves benefit from this. The more Paycom grows and improves, the more we grow and improve.

Reward: If we put in the hard work to help build this company to be successful then the more reward we get as individuals. The satisfactory of overcoming an opportunity is extremely rewarding. These actions do not go unnoticed. The managers and executives notice when hard work is being put forth and that you are dedicated to the company's vision. This leads to recognition and promotions. On top of that, the company environment is phenomenal! Everyone is so welcoming and have the same passion of striving towards Paycom's vision. The company takes care of its employees by offering fantastic benefits, affordable lunches daily, cheap vending snack/drink items, themed functions to participate in, competitions and etc.

Cons

Leadership Trainings/Classes: This is specifically for those who really what to grow and move forward as a leader. For a company you talks highly about its leaders and looking for the next leaders, having leadership course available would be beneficial. There are hardly classes or trainings on this to better ourselves. This is something that is not completely available to us.

Hearing your employee's feedback is great. It lets us know that we do not go unnoticed or unheard. Since Paycom is known for its hard working employees and great services, it lets us know you truly care. Continue to fight and stand for us and we will continue to do what is asked of us as employees.

Blessed to be working for such an AMAZING company!!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I have been at Paycom for right at 1 year and I have never felt more appreciated in my role. This company truly does value their employees. If you like to be rewarded for your hard work than Paycom is the right company for you. I have high expectations for my career path and those expectations can finally be met with a company like this! The training that Paycom offered blew me away! Our very own CSO conducted the corporate training; I learned more from the CSO in 1 week then I learned with my previous company in 8 weeks!

Cons

What cons? This company values their employees and offers an amazing compensation structure and benefits package! Work hard play harder!

It's not what it seems...the benefits do not outweigh the stresses.

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist (Payroll Specialist) in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay if you need it and can handle a ton of stress.
    Benefits are pretty good.
    Occasional company functions that can be fun.
    Free to use fitness center.

Cons

Positions are too robust, too much responsibility.
    Very high turnover rate and staffing issues.
    The system changes so much that you have no help and no support from IT and managers when you need it.
    Company is concerned with growth and revenue and not their employees.
    Too much politics and favoritism when it comes to promotions.
    Company managers and supervisors will lie to your face and will also ask you to lie to clients when it comes to internal issues.
    Internal structure and original business model is collapsing.
    Company went public last summer and has since spiraled in every aspect.
    Company will tell you there's a set schedule, but depending on the need, will expect you to work overtime without warning.
    Everyone is overworked and unhappy - employee morale has been down since the company went public.
    Company does not do enough to show appreciation for employees.
    Certain managers are snakes and the company will not improve til they're eradicated.
    What they tell you about the job doesn't come near to the amount of work they will give you.
    The training is terrible because the trainers have never been in the positions they're teaching.
    Supervisors and managers will not step in to help with the workload becomes too large.
    Paycom constantly develops their system but doesn't do it well. They do it fast to satisfy customer needs but, in turn, they create glitches in other areas that cause more issues for clients.
    Internal communication is lacking.
    Paycom is not concerned with you. They are concerned with how much money you can make them.
    Expectations are unrealistic and they induce fear in you when you feel like you can't perform.
    The culture is almost creepy. They hire 20 somethings that don't know anything about the industry and then treat them how they want.

Decrease the workload across the board, stop being so concerned with revenue, and eradicate the tyrannical managers that demand more work and show no appreciation. Employees need to know they're appreciated and people do not need to be worked to death. Get with some staffing agencies and hire temps when needed. Hire a consultant to help the company improve. The workload and expectations are completely unrealistic. Return to your roots before the company went public and maybe you'll have a chance. Even then, the place was ridiculous before going public. I will never recommend this place to anyone.

Feb 23, 2015Representative

Thank you for your time at Paycom. During your tenure with us, you experienced a number of new process and product developments. These have helped us deliver cutting-edge HR technology products to ... More