Paycom

Updated 18 September 2014
4.4

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • Amazing base salary and commission structure (in 10 reviews)

• If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

Whoever says Paycom does not require ENDLESS work hours... they're lying

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Hands down, this is a company in which you can make GREAT money, especially as a recent college grad (as they tend to hire).

Unheard of starting base, with no experience (50k) and you make 10% of every sale you make. Also, additional bonuses for starting on time (2%).

They also give you car allowance (that is supposed to cover wear and tear, insurance, and gas) which I believe is $500/month.

Cell phone allowance= $25/month... really low, but they pay you so high elsewhere that this can be overseen.

$1 health insurance (with no dependents)

Again, the pros of working for this company is all monetary.

They're sales training is amazing! My core foundation of understanding sales and the sales process has been thanks to Paycom. This, is something that no one can take away from them.

When you first begin the position you have 2 weeks of non-stop training in the office (with your national training class via conference and WebEx meetings) They will focus more on product in those 2 weeks and some people have even gotten fired during this phase if they are not picking up the system quickly enough. They then they fly you out to corporate headquarters for another week of sales training. (to say we started out as about 16 people in my training class in 2012 and now there are only 2 who are still currently working there still... turn over is that bad. If you make it past your first year, you tend to be labeled as one of the rookies in your office).

Cons

Where to begin!!!!!

First of all, they hire recent college graduates because, frankly, they don't know any better. They sell you on all the money that you will be making, but rest assure there is NO work/life balance with this position.

I was not a rep who did not do well... on the contrary, I was the top rep in my office the entire time I was there. I clearly had the work ethic and drive, but there comes a point where you realize money is not everything. I was miserable and that misery affected my personal relationships with my friends, significant other, and family. To me, there is no career that is worth sacrificing all of those things.

As a sales rep, you are not only expected to sell, but also IMPLEMENT (meaning endless amounts of tax packets that you have deadlines in which you need to send to the Setup Team) but you are also expected to TRAIN and be on-hand to run their first payroll. Selling, is the easiest part, the most difficult and time-consuming aspect of your position will be doing this. I can safely say that I have stayed in the office till 10pm or with my clients, training and setting up, until that time. You are also expected to be in the office at 7:30am!

You can also sell a new business, but if you do not stick around to start it (run their first payroll with them), then you do not get your commission. The person who ultimately gets the commission is the one who is there to hit 'submit' for the first time. And if your client leaves within 6 months, they can take that commission away from you.

Also, while you are implementing and training, you are expected to still sell and set 7 NEW APPOINTMENTS every week out of a list of approximately 100-120 businesses they give you. You must call on these businesses TWICE a week... same people, same companies,same lines you try to give them all the time. So you can imagine, with time, appointments lessen.

The reason they are able to pay those 50k base is because you essentially are doing about 3 peoples jobs.

Their Time off policies are also terrible:
    5 vacation
    5 sick

They also have blackout months, which you cannot request any time off whatsoever. And even though they only give you a measly 5 vacation days, it is still frowned upon to take all of your time off. You would think with how much they overworked you, they would give you more time to destress.

Sep 16, 2014Representative

While we appreciate your review it is disheartening to hear you feel so negatively in regards to career that you pointed out has many amazing perks including pay and training. We strive for a ... More

New experience every day!

Current Employee - Client Relations Representative
    Current Employee - Client Relations Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Paycom is a growing company and there is a lot of room for upward mobility for all Paycom employees, regardless of role. There is a great culture where managers and supervisors really encourage their employees to shine. I feel professionally challenged every day; I can safely say no two days are alike, but that's a great thing. I am constantly on my toes and am viewed as a valuable resource by my clients and colleagues alike.

Cons

I would say the only thing I would change specifically about working for Paycom is I do wish the vacation policy allowed for some more time off.

Advice to management is to keep it up! Paycom treats the employees really well and truly listens to them for feedback, which is fantastic.

Good company to start with, not a company to grow with

Former Employee - Tax Specialist  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good people
    Entertaining corporate culture
    Growing company
    Pretty cool year end party

Cons

- Horrible pay unless you are in sales
    - Politics not what you know but who you know
    - Raises every year were very low unless you are in sales
    - Not a company to have a future with, go work there for 2 maybe 3 years and start looking for something else. I switched to the oil field and I am really happy now.
    - Company doesn't care about their the best employees unless you are in sales.
    - you can't say anything bad about the company they like to hire employees who will blindly follow management.

- Take care of your the best employees and pay themy based on their knowledge not "national average."

Sep 08, 2014Representative

We value your feedback just as much as we value our current employees and believe that no matter what department you are in the impact you have on Paycom’s success is significant. Paycom’s management ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Awesome place to work! Best decision I ever made to come and work here

Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant  in  Chicago, IL (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Consultant in Chicago, IL (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time for less than a year

Pros

The training for new hires is phenomenal. I learned more in my four weeks of training than in some of my business classes in college. They really make sure you are prepared and ready to be on your own out in the field once you finish training. The company culture is great as well. I have a ton of fun at work everyday and it is a very positive environment. Also the pay is great too. You are 100% in control of how much money you want to make and how fast you want to get there.

Cons

It's not your typical 9-5 job. Be prepared to work 50-60 hours a week especially if you are just starting off, however it is definitely worth the time.

Keep doing what you're doing

Professional Sales Career with TONS of Opportunity!!

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

Great opportunity to become a true sales professional. Solution Selling, Focus on C-Level, Ongoing training, Great Income.... Everything you would look for in a sales career. Culture = Fun!!

Cons

Requires Dedication, Intelligence, Persistence and Strong Mental Focus on goals. Great opportunity for those who are career minded and are overachievers.

Thank you for all of your dedication to the people at Paycom!!

Jul 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for the kind words. We are glad you value what Paycom is doing to help its employees!

Hard work = $$

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great pay, great benefits, great training!! I am rewarded for the hard work that I have put in, and I able to continue to grow. I work closely with my managers and other team members to be successful. This position will never be a position where you can cruise under the radar. You have to continue to work hard to be successful!

Cons

Long hours, and PTO time. Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult. There is a lot to learn and with being in sales - I want to be successful quickly, so there is training and things I had to take home to complete. There are also time where I had to stay late or come in early to get everything complete. However, once I get a handle on everything I know I will have a better work life balance. Also, PTO isn't great year 1, but it gets better with year 2 and on!

Keep pushing your reps, AND helping your reps!

Excited to part of a winning team!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Culture, training, career paths in almost every department, true leaders driving the boat, passionate managers and people across the organization. Protected territories, competitive comp plan where they treat me like the executive that I am.

Cons

Because of the nature of our business and the importance of always being here to service our amazing customers the holidays are a time we need to be in the office. However when we are here it is a great environment and management shows their appreciation!

Continue with healthy lunch options, thank you for the beautiful new facility in OKC.

Corporate Sales Recruiter

Current Employee - Sales Recruiter  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

Paycom recruiting team is a family. We work hard together and play hard together. We strive for excellence daily staffing the nation with the best of the best. We had a tough job that is balanced with a supportive management, equally driven team members, and a rewarding compensation plan that reminds you that hard work always pays off!

Cons

You will not work 8 to 5 daily and may have to be more flexible at times to cater to our product ..." people." The great people do not come to us. Sales and cold calling is something you will do on a day to day basis. If you're comfortable with that, you are set !

Increased amount of vacation time could increase productivity of employees and also create a more attractive opportunity to candidates.

management- continue to push us hard and provide us with tools to be successful

Great environment!!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant  in  Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are great people working here! There are many benefits to working at Paycom. They provide $1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions.

Cons

The pay for my position is a bit low for the amount of stress the work causes. They have black out periods every quarter and year end. This job requires a lot of overtime.

Great Opportunity

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time for more than a year

Pros

We work very hard for the success we have but the reward is there waiting on the other side. The growth within the company is there, you just need to decide if it's something your willing to work for!

Cons

Sales is demanding and sometimes you need a couple extra days to unwind and be with your family, friends, ect. So vacation days is something I think should be looked into.

Vacation time

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!