Paycom

Paycom Reviews

Updated Jul 22, 2014

Paycom President Chad Richison

Chad Richison

Pros
  • Amazing base salary and commission structure (in 10 reviews)

• If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance at the beginning is definitely difficult (in 7 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

The Full | True Story

Pros- Compensation
    Competitive Base Salary + the "promise" of somewhat high commission percentages once you pass certain thresholds, up to and including increases in base salary

- Training
    They spend time and effort in giving you the corporate juice. Great for the 0-1 year experience rep straight out of college or new to the sales industry but incredibly suffocating to the experienced rep, with real life sales experience. The CSO spends time with every new hire class training them personally. Again, great access to the C-Level of the company, but don't expect share knowledge. Grab your kool-aid cup and start drinking.

Cons- Management
    After feeling somewhat "pumped up" by the rep training, again run directly by the CSO, senior management quite quickly transforms into the typical sales department management that you would find in an boiler room environment. Not only should you be expected to be micromanaged, but expect to be consumed by the pervasive atmosphere of office politics. You can forget about focusing solely on your number or reaching presidents club. You better be liked by your management or expect to be cut out of leads and accounts. Also, never expect to leave before at least 6:00PM (after getting the day started typically at 7:00am) as you will directed to stay at your desk to write hand written notes to prospects. Also expect phone calls over the weekend from your manager sharing their stress about accounts and client set-ups. The typical day consists of 2-3 hours of non stop cold-calling with a non-negotiable expectation of 3-4 appointments a day.

- Sales Process
    There's no such thing as an easy sales process. However, given that your financial well being, i.e commissions, are dependent upon your skill in setting up and processing payroll, again expect your job to take on new "fun" dimensions in payroll processing. You as the rep are in charge of transitioning clients from payroll to payroll which can take up to weeks and months of your time, delaying your commissions in the process.
    In addition, given the "sell now - set up later" atmosphere created by senior management, reps will often feel extremely pressured into bad sells just to hit their weekly quota number (all reps operate on weekly quotas) which of course never end up setting up properly, which then in turn leads to 0 commissions and 0 quotas. What you end up with is a revolving door of reps that get terminated because they have a "0" as their sales number due to failed payroll set up processes which they were pressured into by management.

- IPO
    After the successful IPO where the equity partners were able to line their pockets, the entire national sales department is being asked to cut back on spending in order to help the stock price. Less office celebrations for exceeding quota, less incentive to work as a team.

- Culture
    Great at first. Everyone seems positive enough. However, after a while all reps sense the pervasive "us against them" mentality that exists throughout the entire organization. This may stem from the personality of C-Level management, as often very conservative religious views will be impressed upon all employees in the organization. Also, most managerial employees work in a constant state of fear of being terminated due to the unpredictable nature of the CEO. There are many stories of employees annoying the the wrong person and then being dismissed without severance. This hierarchy of stress of course travels all the way down to the sales representative.

-Job Security/Vacation Policy
    Don't expect to have either when working here. As stated before, you can be termed randomly and without notice. The Vacation Policy is laughable. Using vacation days for things like funerals and hospital stays is normal. Come into work 30 minutes late due to weather? Remove 30 minutes from your accrued time. After 8 month of working, expect only about 2.5 accrued vacation days with 0 being granted upon your start date.

Work Life Balance
    - Almost nonexistent. Your co-workers become your family. You spend most of your time with them between the 7:00am cold calling sessions and the 7:00pm payroll set-ups in the office. And the Saturday/Sunday weekend meet ups at the bosses' place to practice your cold calling scripts. This job can make you lose friends and most certainly lose touch with family members.

Negativity
    - The company has an extreme policy against any form of negativity. You cannot criticize nor can you questions the motive or direction of the company. If you do, you can be termed, again with out notice. The idea is that positivity will some how guide you to higher sales, yet when you share difficulties in processing payroll, or closing certain accounts, you are warned against speaking out and threatened with a disciplinary write up.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have none.

The entire system is broken due to the pervasive problems that exist within the corporate structure.
    The company is built to make money for the equity holders, with tremendous corner-cutting every other department.

Reps & Internal staff work in fear of termination, so no one can say anything.

The only piece of advice I can offer is stop lying to yourselves about employee satisfaction, stop operating the corporate structure like a totalitarian state and restructure. It's the moral thing to do.

Jul 11, 2014Representative

In response to your remarks, it is important for readers to know that all promises in regards to the sales compensation package are based on tangible percentage increases based on each rep’s ... More

Happy Employee

Sale Representative (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

Pros*The opportunity for growth within the company is huge / Paycom is growing drastically.
    *Best Culture I have experienced, especially in a stressful job.
    *You will see as much success as the work you put in.
    *Ability to make as much money as you're willing to work for.
    *You feel the support from the entire company, you can tell you are valued at Paycom whether you have been with Paycom for 6 months or 5+ years.

ConsThere aren't many cons about this job. The job is hard, but nothing worth having comes easy.

Best Career choice I could have made.

Paycom Specialist (Current Employee) Oklahoma City, OK (US)

ProsThe company provides so much incentive, from catered lunches, luncheons sponsored by the company once a month, a weekend getaway at the end of every year, to VERY affordable health insurance. Paycom really looks out for their employee's. The work environment is great and the amount of training that is offered is incomparable. I feel fully equipped to conquer whatever the day might throw at me. Not to mention the base salary is well worth all the hard work.

ConsThe work load is not an easy one, but if you like to keep busy and can stay organized Paycom is most definitely a great place to work and to grow professionally. Some times of the year require more hours at the office, which can be exhausting, but that is just part of any job.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhile training has helped me immensely, the required trainings can at times detract from my workload. If every other week I have to attend a required training and I have x amount of projects and calls to make, then I am being set up to get behind. There is a lot of expectation as far as my position goes, which I am capable of meeting. A more clear chain of priorities between personal development and taking care of clients and projects would make balancing these two more manageable.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Sales Manager

Sales Manager (Current Employee)

ProsFirst and foremost, the leadership here at Paycom is why this company is so successful and why the culture is truly one of a kind. You can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat their employees and at Paycom employees are not only highly compensated for their work but are also highly valued and you really see that with all of the tools, training program, and support that the company offers. You are given immense opportunity for upward mobility and success. I have been able to accomplish financial goals, career goals and other personal goals in far less time than many of my friends and family have in their entire career. I am very grateful for that!

ConsAs in any sales job, it's important that you not only have a strong work ethic but that you are also able to have a strong mental state. Some days you will be the hero and some days will not go your way so it's important that you can balance the highs and lows and keep a positive mindset. This career is certainly not for the faint of heart - you must be strong willed.

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintaining the direct support as the company continues to grow.

So happy to be at Paycom!

Executive Sales Representative (Current Employee) Tampa, FL (US)

ProsPaycom has been such a wonderful place to work and I can't imgaine being anywhere else! The opportunity they give to Sales Reps to make money and get promoted are great! If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back! All of the upper management members truly care about each rep's success and spend their personal time training all new reps that start working here. The culture and environment at Paycom is great- it truly feels like your colleagues are your family members. It seems like every week Paycom is growing and doing things to enhance the business. I have been here for over 3 years currently and can't wait to see what is in store for this great company over the next 3 years!

ConsThere are really not a lot of negatives with this job. Just be prepared to work longer hours than 9 to 5, and lots of miles will be put on your car if you are in outside sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive a little more vacation time :-)

May 23, 2014Representative

We look forward to watching you continue to grow over the next three years as well. We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about working in sales at Paycom.

Great Sales Career

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO (US)

ProsThe Paycom culture is exciting and energetic. There is plenty of room to grow and the benefits are great!

ConsHard work and long hours, but it's worth it!

Good and Bad

Outside Sales Consultant (Former Employee)

Pros-outstanding learning structure
    -incredible opportunity for substantial income.
    -great focus on personal and professional development.
    -growing leadership structure.
    -positive and motivating c-level executives.
    -incredible growth rate with opportunity for career advancement.

Cons-a high magnitude of redundant busy work.
    -micromanagement
    -sales cult of clones: one way to sell, and no other. Be prepared to drink the Koolaid.
    -training is tailored to mold the entry level rather than the experienced rep.
    -poor work-life balance. Average hours of 60+ per week with work being brought home and time taken away from personal and family life.
    -rewarding in the economical sense, but not a rewarding career otherwise.
    -young leadership with much to learn and unrealistic expectations.
    -numerous competitors in the industry.

Read review: The Full True Story

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsSome of the people I have met are amazing people that will find success no matter where they are or what they do.

ConsThe review titled "The Full True Story" really hits it on the nose for the most part.
    Work/life balance: There is no work life balance at Paycom. After 6 months you will accumulate about 1.5 days of vacation time so for the first year don't plan on doing anything with your family or friends.
    Micromanagement: You will work in an environment of micromanagement. So if you like to be micromanaged all day every day then this is perfect for you. You will be working from 7am till 6pm every day. You will be at the office on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays at 7am sharp and don't be late even though you won't really start making phone calls till 8:30am. That hour and a half is used for "pumping up" by playing silly games such as taboo, pictionary, or catch phrase. And if you try to use those early morning hours to do work and not participate in the games - you will not be allowed. On every Friday there is a conference call at 4pm that lasts about an hour or hour and a half so that everyone can read off their sales for the week to the whole country and that you must be present for and you must take from the office. It seems to me that it would be a better use of time and money to be working in the field that last hour of work on Fridays because I can easily read an excel spreadsheet myself without having someone else read it off to me. On Good Friday before Easter the call lasted until 6:30pm. Again no work/life balance.
    Training: They say the training is considered a mini MBA but I would say it is standard in sales and nothing crazy. I have been a part of much more intense training programs that lasted 16 weeks (versus Paycom 5 weeks of training including corporate) and where you would spend time with successful tenured reps in order to learn best practices. At Paycom I rode with a rep only 5 times and who had under a year of experience and no executive status. My manager was never involved in any of the training. After training I tried to get my manager to ride with me sometimes but was told that unless I had an appointment with an executive or it was a second call then they would not be helping me or riding with me. This is not the kind of feedback you want to hear fresh out of training and early on in your career at Paycom. You will not be trained on how to transition an account to the Paycom payroll - you will just learn as you go and hope for the best with your first payroll sale. So expect your first payroll transition to have many bumps and issues and expect to now dedicate most of your time to transitioning the payroll instead of looking for new business and selling.

Advice to Senior ManagementDedicate more to field training to new sales reps by partnering them with tenured successful reps. Stop wasting precious work hours with silly games in the morning and hour long conference calls every week that are redundant and do not provide any added benefit. It would be much more effective to send out via email every week the sales across the country to everyone and once a month host a conference call to highlight the biggest sales and why they were successful. This way Friday afternoons could be utilized making sales calls, having appointments, finding "rainbows" or doing extra training. Currently no one pays attention during the Friday conference call until their region is up and they have to speak. Otherwise the call is on mute and everyone is playing with their cell phones or doing other things.

Jul 17, 2014Representative

We value your feedback and are sorry to hear your viewpoints of our sales culture. We pride ourselves on the high-character individuals that make up our organization and know that a career with ... More

My experience at Paycom has been amazing thus far. My manager is very helpful and I love my team!

Executive Sales Representative (Current Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsThe money is great! Good culture and the people in management here seem to really care which is so rare.

ConsI guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con... I really don't have any true cons though.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe only thing is that I would say some new people need more training if they don't have any b2b experience.

A place YOU can choose to make yourself successful

Sales Representative (Current Employee)

ProsFinally a work environment where being successful, working hard and being positive about the possibility of the future is not only accepted but fostered. It doesn't matter how long you've been here, anyone that wants to step up can step up and you will experience growth and reward for doing so.

ConsIf you don't find the idea of hunting and the thrill of the close, which will ultimately push you way beyond the comfort zone you thought you lived in, you will likely not be happy here. It's tough to embrace that and to take risks when closing down a deal BUT once you learn to do that....how fun and exhilarating the whole sales process becomes!

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue placing value in sales rep development - both professionally and personally- by sponsoring trainings and opportunities for continued learning

Worked for Paycom? Contribute to the Community!