Paycom

Updated 17 December 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

The Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The office culture - we hire really smart, driven, positive, service-oriented people which makes for a great environment. I respect all my coworkers. They make me better and it makes coming to work enjoyable.
    Our product - I truly believe we have the best product in our industry which makes selling it, marketing it, and supporting it fun. It's awesome to work for a company/service/product you can be passionate about.
    The opportunity - The sky is the limit at Paycom. The growth we see year over year creates incredible career opportunities for committed employees. The success stories I've seen are truly inspiring and Paycom encourages the success of its employees through great training programs and leadership.

Cons

It's hard to find cons to write about at Paycom. I've worked at quite a few places in my 21-year career and seen a lot of corporate dysfunction. It's just not like that at Paycom. We have growing pains from time-to-time. Sometimes it's hard to hire fast enough so the work load becomes heavy and there are seasons where it's more stressful than others but it's always temporary.

As we get bigger and bigger, be intentional in keeping the culture we have. Continue to show your commitment to employees through great training and perks and opportunities. Don't ever stop surveying and looking for ways to affect positive change throughout the organization. You do a great job now, don't lose it as we double, triple and quadruple in size.

Best job in 20 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

In my two decade career, I have been with Paycom for only a little more than a year but I can honestly say that among my many jobs, it's the most secure, the most rewarding and the most fun. Corporations are not always a good fit for my creative personality, but this has proven to be the exception.

In previous jobs, one of the worst things was dealing with toxic co-workers. Here they are not tolerated -- if they are hired at all they aren't kept around. In other words a friendly atmosphere of mutual respect is something I can look forward to each and every day. The diversity of workers is surprising for such a red state but something to be proud of 100%. While I came in with enough experience to bypass the entry-level positions, opportunities for advancement still exist for me and that's rare for so few OKC corporations.

Training is thorough, ongoing, and covers more topics beyond just stuff we need to know for our jobs. Work-life balance definitely exists and is encouraged. The perks are terrific from $1 health insurance to $4 catered lunches daily.

Cons

The only real disappointment I had upon joining Paycom is the same more than a year later --- vacation time. There is not enough of it that first year compared to other companies, and if you like to take your vacation days in large chunks the accrual system can work against you depending upon when you start in the year. That changes upon your 1year anniversary, but the accrual system is still there.

The vacation time issue should be addressed. At a company meeting about a year ago one of the VP's said it was being looked at...but no announcement has been made since.

Wonderful company to work for!

Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Outside Sales Representative in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The management works to develop you as an executive and truly cares about you and your progression with the company. There is no 'ceiling' of growth potential with Paycom. The benefits are great, $1 per pay period for health care! The compensation plans are incredible and commission is great - and paid

Cons

It is hard work, but yields high rewards! You really do put in what you get out, the longer hours the better the result and reward. One con is that the vacation time your first year is minimal.

Keep doing what you are doing! You are growing a successful company and with successful individuals.

Great company to work for in certain positions

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: $1 dollar health care
    miscellaneous pros: Gym, boot camp classes during lunch, zumba classes after work, .25 cent soda, $4 dollar catered lunches, Paycom prom, free lunches once a month, Training classes, Free Paycom shirts
    The overall environment is very friendly and professional
    They do value your honest feedback and opinions and try to improve, by sending out surveys every so often on the company.

Cons

For any of the admin positions the pay is horrible. Turn over rate is high for that position because of the pay and the opportunity for advancement is poor. 4% percent raises a year. When others get quarterly bonuses, raises, special incentives and recognitions. Over worked and under paid for that position and certain departments will not allow you to transfer to another. Department require lots of over time, Coming into work early, working through lunch and staying after 5pm
    PTO and family/work life is hard to balance your first year. Time is only accrued each pay period
    Young newly graduated employees, sometimes office drama and inappropriate things going on

Raise the pay for some positions and recognize them more for all of their hard work.

Everything I hoped for and then some!

Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Corporate Recruiter in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Paycom leadership loves their employees! They know we don't have cushy corporate positions, almost every position is performance based. Recruiters even have quotas!! The in-house recruiters are really sales professionals. We make cold calls, pitch the deal, influence working professionals to make a change in career and almost ALL of our candidates are sourced from different internet sites. We literally present a sales pitch to get these top performers from other industries interested. It is not like any other recruiting department I have ever seen before and I love it! I am challenged but also rewarded with a strong compensation plan and great perks. We have an awesome team that knows we are needed to ensure Paycom can continue to grow and open new offices.

Cons

Very few people within the organization understand that Paycom recruiting is really selling Paycom every single day. We are just now getting to use all of the resources necessary with college, agencies and other things to staff the masses.

Keep growing. Keep hiring people like the recruiting leaders who bring outside ideas in and have a positive and fun personality. Additional vacation would be a plus and I know you guys are working on that as I type! Really we have an amazing team of dedicated professionals and I am so excited to see where we are next year and the years after. I am looking to a fun and challenging ride to industry dominance and getting a lot of great hires!

Amazing company

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. I truly drive to work every morning with a smile on my face. The work you do here truly makes a difference no matter what department you are in and that is truly a rewarding feeling. The company is always thinking of ways to say thank you to employees and you can tell that it is appreciated... The atmosphere and culture is very positive.

Cons

During certain times of the year, long hours may be required. If you are not willing to put in the work needed during these periods, look elsewhere. It is worth it though!

Continue developing leaders from within and promoting personal and professional growth. Keep it up!

Dec 05, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review of Paycom! Developing leaders from all levels within our organization is, and will continue to be, a big part of our organization. In fact, we developing additional ... More

It's ok

Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The company is growing so I am sure there is opportunity for growth if you can get ahead of the 100 people more tenured in front of you.

Cons

Work-Life Balance: this company believe in burning you out quickly. If you can make through a year (specifically the end of the year) you can work harder and get ready for the end of the next year. the company is understaffed and underpaid for anyone lower than a supervisor level.

Promote more people who deserve it and quit playing large corp politics mixed with small family politics of hiring friends of the bosses.

Dec 05, 2014Representative

We are sorry to hear you were not pleased during your time at Paycom. As one of the nation's fastest-growing companies, we are always looking for ways to improve and continue to look for talented ... More

If you want a career Paycom is the best.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Promotes from within, competitive salary levels, excellent training team that provides continued education for employees, competitive benefit packages, and a upbeat and "fun" culture to be a part of.

Cons

We only hire the best so the interview process is intense. To become a Paycom employee is a badge of honor.

Continue to listen to your people, they are the future of the company.

Nov 17, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience at Paycom! You are right on the interview process as Glassdoor ranked Paycom one the Top 25 Most Difficult Companies to Interview!

Great place to work for Personal, financial, and Professional Growth!

Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - New Client Team Lead in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The best part of working at Paycom is that the Leadership team is completely committed to developing its employees. not only at work, but there are training topics that cover Personal growth, Leadership, Professional Growth, and how to manage difficult situations, which we ALL face in our lives.

Cons

This job can be challenging, however, if you like to grow, this is where you NEED to be. If you want to exceed your expectations and flourish, this is where you NEED to be. In business, we are either declining, or growing. Of course, the better end of this is to grow and with that comes Growing Pains!

Keep driving and encourage people. Keep the culture as Building people up, and not tear them down. Continue to be slow to punish, but Quick to reward. Empower, Motivate, Inspire, Serve, and keep Growing.

Good but a little too busy

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Close knit type of company

Cons

Only close knit if you are in sales