Paycom Reviews

188 reviews filtered by

NEW! - The Truth - worth the read

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The truth. As an intelligent sales professional in the job market, you have many choices. Reading through reviews, find the winners. There are two categories:

1) Those who made it
        2) Those who “couldn’t make it”

You never find a person who can make it complaining, they’re too busy succeeding or moving forward. Unless planning for failure, listen to the honest success stories.

Paycom is an amazing opportunity. It will not suit everyone, but for those it does, it opens the door to “rare opportunities” that are hard to find.

1) Opportunity. (#1 reason to work here) At Paycom I get to write my own ticket. Paycom rewards top performers, not seniority. That's refreshing from my previous jobs.

2) Great Culture. It’s what makes you happy to come in each day. Every day at Paycom brings new challenges, but the team approach and support system is what drives me forward. Sales Managers and Sales Teams become like a big work family. Doing fun team outings or picking each other up to continue fighting, we're in this together and in to win.

3) Reward for effort. Not just life changing compensation (which even negative people admit is true), but also recognition and personal growth.

Greatest aspects of the corporation:
        1) Strong CEO – Leadership starts top down.

2) Best Product - Hard to believe until you start to compete and see for yourself. So easy to win with.

3) Best Service – Company that can deliver what you promise. It's your reputation.

4) Structured training and support system. The resources are there for those who embrace and apply them. Programs are focused on creating business professionals, not just “sales” people. We also spend a lot of time focused on personal training. You’ll be a better person/friend/parent/spouse after learning the keys to a strong mental game and how to live an executive lifestyle.

5) Dream maker. The right company helps you reach "your" goals.

Cons

It's not easy. There's a lot of information. Requires strong commitment upfront. Have to not only learn product and industry, but more importantly how to solve the real business problems executives are faced with today. It's not a show and tell sale. It's a listen, solve, and build value by helping companies reach their strategic objectives.

In addition, you have to build a pipeline. It hard work, but doesn't take long if you work smart. Paycom provides a strong list of qualified prospects to start with and protected territories. The resources are definitely available.

To be successful here you have to do hard things. Everyone wants the money, recognition, and status this job can provide, but not everyone is serious about the decision to do what it takes. It's not always comfortable. Good news is it gets easy once you learn the material/process and build a solid pipeline. The accomplishment and gratification are worth it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. In all my years, I've never seen the comp plan change for the worst. I can clearly see our vision and the path to get there.

It's not a perfect company, but it is working towards it

Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative
    Current Employee - Transition Specialist Representative

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I am going to start out by saying the Transition Specialist Role at Paycom is not an easy one. That being said, since I started a year and a half ago I have seen nothing but vast improvements in our process/job tasks, and department.

Compensation: Since I started here, the compensation changed for the better 2 times. First, one to two months in, they raised the compensation after processing your quota by $5k. Then at the end of 2013, they increased the starting base salary by $6k. In a little over a year I have hit two quotas resulting in a 2 base increases plus commissions around $2-3k per month. This is a busier office, but it is not out of the ordinary by any means. Plus there is a car allowance as you will drive a good amount at this job.

Process: I would have to say the best thing about this company is managements ability to listen to feedback. Being a relatively new department, and one that not many other payroll companies have, we did not have a lot of guidelines to start out. Our management team has listened to our feedback in many areas to make our jobs easier to do. That being said, there is still a lot of room for improvement, which I will discuss below, but it definitely is appreciated to see your concerns being handled.

Department: As I said, our department is always changing, and in my experience it has been for the better. When I started there were two regional managers, so outside of hitting your quotas for base bumps, the job growth potential seemed kind of bleak. At the end of 2013 they promoted 5 or 6 additional people from our department and divided the company's offices into regions. This gave me hope that they will continue to grow this program, and even though my future might not be outlined currently, there is a good chance that I can grow into a role that may not even exist at the moment. We have also worked very hard to get the office balance back in check and work with the sales reps, and not for them as it seemed was the norm.

This may all seem happy and scripted but despite my great respect for this company and the people running it, there were definitely sometimes that I was not this content in my role and had thoughts of leaving.

Cons

Work/Life Balance: During the busy times of the year, it can get kind of crazy. It was not uncommon for me to be answering emails late at night, working on projects way past 5, being on site with a client past hours, or driving home or to a client after or before work started. It is not required, but at the time, I felt it was the only way that I would be able to complete my job and keep projects on track. I think the hiring of the many more TSRs will help this greatly, I think we have almost tripled the amount since I started. It is always going to be a stressful job, but the workload on top of it was at some points unmanageable. This being said, I did have support from my regional manager which is probably one of the main reasons I am still working at this company.

PTO/Sick: Pretty much every review will have this topic in the cons section. Do I wish we had more PTO or Sick, absolutely. Coming out of college it is a stark difference in free time. I wish I could take a long vacation, but long weekends are it for the most part. I will say that I work with a lot of companies in the transitions, and our policies are right about on par with most businesses. Yes, other companies offer great PTO plans, but often at the risk of another benefit. I wish it was better, but I cannot say it is worse than the standard policy

Advice to Management

Keep taking feedback, we are the experts on our role and you have been doing a great job at making it a role we want to work in. I think we have a truly passionate management team and they are growing this into a company that everyone will want to be a part of. I am glad I got in when I did.

Do you want to be a successful sales rep?

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Indianapolis, IN (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

- Challenging
    - Professional - high level sales
    - Not for the weak
    - Amazing training
    - Promote on talent not tenure
    - Great ramp up period to build your pipeline
    - Amazing marketing team who works with the sales team
    - Great compensation at Exec. Rep level
    - Your not selling just a tangible item, your selling an item that affects not only the company, but the employees and their families.

This is truly a high level, executive sales position. You have to be prepared for long hours, a lot of work, and to be able to push your self farther then you ever have before. If you can do that - success in your professional and personal life is just around the corner! Also, the long hours don't last forever! You truly just have to get over the new rep hump!

Cons

-Limited management training program
    -Sick and Vacation time
    -No COL adjustment

Advice to Management

Managers need a stronger management training program to be better prepared for it, not just thrown in. They all turn out to be very successful, but I think with more up front training it would help with the lag time.

BTW - Paycom didn't force me to write this review. They ask all their employees to share their experience with friends, family, and on social media if they feel comfortable. Glassdoor is a great tool to find out about companies and I thought it was very important that people know the great things at Paycom. You are truly in charge of your own success, but it won't be easy to get. I am a true believer that success is sweeter when you have to fight for it.

Dec 10, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell others about your experience and letting us know about your concerns. We are placing an emphasis on additional training for all leaders within the organization ... More

Contagious culture, top notch colleagues and opportunities

I have been working at Paycom

Pros

I cannot wait to get to work each day to be part of our fun culture and experience another day in the life of a Paycom-er. From philanthropic initiatives to in-depth, useful training and amazing benefits it is hard to beat working at Paycom. The desire for growth among individuals and departments is inspiring as it reaches across departments to really transform mindset, leadership and initiatives. We have the strongest and brightest leadership in the business and they continue to expand opportunities for their teams and their future.

Cons

No comment at this time.

Advice to Management

Continue to invest your time and talents in your teams - your leadership is contagious.

The Best Company I've Ever Worked For

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The office culture - we hire really smart, driven, positive, service-oriented people which makes for a great environment. I respect all my coworkers. They make me better and it makes coming to work enjoyable.
    Our product - I truly believe we have the best product in our industry which makes selling it, marketing it, and supporting it fun. It's awesome to work for a company/service/product you can be passionate about.
    The opportunity - The sky is the limit at Paycom. The growth we see year over year creates incredible career opportunities for committed employees. The success stories I've seen are truly inspiring and Paycom encourages the success of its employees through great training programs and leadership.

Cons

It's hard to find cons to write about at Paycom. I've worked at quite a few places in my 21-year career and seen a lot of corporate dysfunction. It's just not like that at Paycom. We have growing pains from time-to-time. Sometimes it's hard to hire fast enough so the work load becomes heavy and there are seasons where it's more stressful than others but it's always temporary.

Advice to Management

As we get bigger and bigger, be intentional in keeping the culture we have. Continue to show your commitment to employees through great training and perks and opportunities. Don't ever stop surveying and looking for ways to affect positive change throughout the organization. You do a great job now, don't lose it as we double, triple and quadruple in size.

Moving on up

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are so many things to like about Paycom. A few I can think of are:

-Each position has a defined track of development. You're never left with a question of when your next raise is coming- it is all laid out for you. Advancement is based on productivity, not seniority.
    -Great benefits. Employees pay $1 for health insurance. If you have a family, they have tiered options from which to choose your health benefits to make it more affordable.
    -Fun activities! We have a yearly fall festival to the pumpkin patch, Santa comes to corporate, and National Payroll Week is a blast!
    - Paycom also generously gives to the community. I won't work for a company that won't give.

Cons

Holidays are our busiest time. Being a customer focused organization, we have to make sure we are here for our customers. That means little time off at the end of the year. Most employees are able to earn overtime to get additional money during that time though.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Continue to look at benefits and vacation.

Great company to work for in certain positions

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits: $1 dollar health care
    miscellaneous pros: Gym, boot camp classes during lunch, zumba classes after work, .25 cent soda, $4 dollar catered lunches, Paycom prom, free lunches once a month, Training classes, Free Paycom shirts
    The overall environment is very friendly and professional
    They do value your honest feedback and opinions and try to improve, by sending out surveys every so often on the company.

Cons

For any of the admin positions the pay is horrible. Turn over rate is high for that position because of the pay and the opportunity for advancement is poor. 4% percent raises a year. When others get quarterly bonuses, raises, special incentives and recognitions. Over worked and under paid for that position and certain departments will not allow you to transfer to another. Department require lots of over time, Coming into work early, working through lunch and staying after 5pm
    PTO and family/work life is hard to balance your first year. Time is only accrued each pay period
    Young newly graduated employees, sometimes office drama and inappropriate things going on

Advice to Management

Raise the pay for some positions and recognize them more for all of their hard work.

Might as well call this place PayCon.

Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Software Sales in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Employees steal sales from one another.

Cons

You're promised high pay, but you don't get it.

Advice to Management

You need new staff.

Jan 14, 2015Representative

We are sorry to hear you’re less than pleased. Our sales organization has protected territories and we are concerned to hear of your experience. In order to ensure this doesn’t happen, we encourage ... More

Amazing company

Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Tax Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than a year)

Pros

This is the best company I have ever worked for. I truly drive to work every morning with a smile on my face. The work you do here truly makes a difference no matter what department you are in and that is truly a rewarding feeling. The company is always thinking of ways to say thank you to employees and you can tell that it is appreciated... The atmosphere and culture is very positive.

Cons

During certain times of the year, long hours may be required. If you are not willing to put in the work needed during these periods, look elsewhere. It is worth it though!

Advice to Management

Continue developing leaders from within and promoting personal and professional growth. Keep it up!

Dec 05, 2014Representative

Thank you for your review of Paycom! Developing leaders from all levels within our organization is, and will continue to be, a big part of our organization. In fact, we developing additional ... More

Best job in 20 years!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than a year)

Pros

In my two decade career, I have been with Paycom for only a little more than a year but I can honestly say that among my many jobs, it's the most secure, the most rewarding and the most fun. Corporations are not always a good fit for my creative personality, but this has proven to be the exception.

In previous jobs, one of the worst things was dealing with toxic co-workers. Here they are not tolerated -- if they are hired at all they aren't kept around. In other words a friendly atmosphere of mutual respect is something I can look forward to each and every day. The diversity of workers is surprising for such a red state but something to be proud of 100%. While I came in with enough experience to bypass the entry-level positions, opportunities for advancement still exist for me and that's rare for so few OKC corporations.

Training is thorough, ongoing, and covers more topics beyond just stuff we need to know for our jobs. Work-life balance definitely exists and is encouraged. The perks are terrific from $1 health insurance to $4 catered lunches daily.

Cons

The only real disappointment I had upon joining Paycom is the same more than a year later --- vacation time. There is not enough of it that first year compared to other companies, and if you like to take your vacation days in large chunks the accrual system can work against you depending upon when you start in the year. That changes upon your 1year anniversary, but the accrual system is still there.

Advice to Management

The vacation time issue should be addressed. At a company meeting about a year ago one of the VP's said it was being looked at...but no announcement has been made since.