Paycom

Updated 21 January 2015
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Take the bad with the good

Former Employee - Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Sales Representative

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You can make a lot of money and they promote within. Base and commission structure better than comparable companies. There are few companies where the cso is so involved. It is amazing that he is able to support trainings and lead calls with reps. Presidents club is top of the line and you could tell they put a lot of work in

Cons

All of the 5star reviews should have been a red flag and notice how the company jumps on to combat every negative comment on here...that is what you can expect from management as well. If there is an issue, it is always you and never an opportunity for them to improve. Vacation and sick time are a joke and there is no flex time or work from home. You will be expected to work on your vacations and sick days as well and it will be kindly suggested as best practice. You won't have time off around holidays at all and you will be expected to work nights and weekends. The majority of your "work" is to be done as they say "on your own time". The job isn't sales. Selling is a small part and setup/transition/training will take up a large part of your week.

Management is filled with superstar sellers who don't necessarily know how to manage and at least mine was obviously promoted too soon I am sure there are some greeat managers as well. A common theme I would say is MICROMANAGEMENT at its finest. You will feel like a 3rd grader most days when you are in the office.Office culture varies greatly. Pay attention in the interview process to the interactions between coworkers and the managers.

Before taking this job think about how much u are really willing to give up for the money. If you can deal with the bs, you could end up very wealthy.

Take feedback from current and past employees in a constructive manner instead of being defensive. Paycom could be a top workplace for sales nationwide. Get managers with real management experience and don't promote just because they made a checklist. Someone who is successful in sales will likely have difficulty in managing without being a control freak. Find people who are willing to overcome not just want the paycheck

Oct 16, 2014Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to submit your review and please know that we take everyone’s feedback to heart. Reviews and constructive criticism are passed onto HR and management. Our employees ... More

Great Place New College Grads

Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Former Employee - New Client Setup Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I worked at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I started with this company right out of college. I had little experience in the payroll world and they trained me. Not great training at first but it got better over time as it became more of a focus. It was a great company to grow with and watch expand. The work atmosphere is great. You will love the people you work with. The benefits are tough to beat. Free gym, $ Health, $4 catered meals plus fun surprises throughout the year. The pay is good starting out but over time you can make a lot more. I almost doubled my salary in four years. I would recommend working here but just be prepared for the overtime and stress.

Cons

The cons are the work and deadlines are very overwhelming. Depending our your role it can be very stressful and require a lot of overtime. Also Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years is tough. Do not plan for extra time with the family.Very long hours and not a lot of time off around this period. However there are peak times of the year when you can expect to work a lot which helps but before I left it felt like it never let up. The work/personal life is a struggle to balance. I would have loved to stay with the company but it was difficult to work so hard and not have any time to really enjoy myself.

Poor leadership and write their own company reviews

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

The pay and benefits are great. If you have the perfect storm, you will be well compensated in commission.

Cons

The company has no listed values or moral conduct. They promote based on achievement which is great, until you get the job and realize that your achievement is based on your territory. They do not review the territories and just assign them, therefore you can get into a tricky situation if you get a rough territory and a manager who is unwilling to listen to your concerns. They have no way of standardizing metrics, so you will be selling a territory of 5 zip codes against someone who has a whole state and you will be held to the same standards. They are very old school in their management tactics and use verbal threats and write ups as motivation.

Invest in your leadership. Do a Six Sigma training so that leaders understand realistic metrics and set good expectations. Set a moral code for your company.

Oct 10, 2014Representative

Thank you for pointing out the positives in the pay and benefits. We are sorry to hear you feel the way you do, but we want you and others to know that we do review territories. We divide ... More

Amazing opportunity to make an abundance of money and change your life trajectory

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They take training very seriously and equip their reps with great tools to sell.

Cons

There are not alot of cons. It really is what you make it. If you don't do well that is completely on you.

Put more cash into R&D

Endless Opportunities

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Paycom has the most opportunity for growth around and I have thrived since joining the team. Starting out as a rep you make more than others in the industry, which is a huge plus. Then you have the opportunity to become manager after just a few years. Depending on your work-ethic and ability to consistently deliver results the sky is the limit.

Unlike other companies, as a sales rep at Paycom you get to add unique business value and this is something I take great pride in. After the sale I am able to help ensure the prospects I signed on are up and operating smoothly. I was the one that earned their trust and they deserve my undivided care and attention.

The marketing department is always there to support us and the setup teams at corporate are amazingly skillful. Oh and did I mention the compensation is out of this world.

Cons

I would like to be more connected with what is going on with the specialists at corporate and the culture they have built. But the culture in my office is amazing. A lot is expected of Paycom's sales reps and a lot is given in return.

Keep giving us the opportunity to grow professionally and personally.

Awesome company to work for!

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Saint Louis, MO (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Initially everything I learned about Paycom sounded too good to be true, and now I look at my life and everything is too good and too true! The culture is incredible, and it is the best feeling to work for a company with such incredible people. I can say it is the most difficult and most rewarding thing I have ever experienced. I love the challenge of every day. Success is in reach if you are intelligent, hard working, and positive!

Cons

I would say if you are not able to mentally manage your attitude and you are not mentally strong, you will fail!

Keep it up!!!

Sep 24, 2014Representative

Thank you for telling others about your experience at Paycom. Your positive attitude will continue to propel your career. You keep it up as well!

This place is a growth factory. I've gotten more experience here than anywhere else.

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Growth and experience. I've been able to own more and bigger successes here than any other place I've ever worked. Investing in a good idea by an employee is something every company wants to believe they do. But here I actually feel empowered to do it.
    It's fun to work here. My team is stellar and our leaders support us.
    And knowing you can get a good lunch (Greek is my favorite day) for $4 without leaving the building is a great perk.

Cons

If anything, it's the minimalist time off policy.

To paraphrase Moses: Let my people go (on vacation).

A few rotten apples do not tell the REAL and TRUE story about Paycom

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to grow, a company that cares, compensation that is unbeatable

Cons

Past sales reps who did have the ethic and skill to be successful trying to make other great candidates not apply

If a prospective sales representative wants the REAL and TRUE story of Paycom, then you should hear it from someone who has been successful and has worked hard to make their own success. While you can read the negative reviews from past employees (who clearly did not have the skills and work ethic to be successful) it is important that you understand, this job is not for everyone but the negative reviews on here are so outrageously untrue.

First of all, I have NEVER had to sacrifice work-life balance to work at Paycom. I have never had to go to a managers house on a Saturday to practice talk tracks and scripts. I have never had anyone undermine my success or set me up in a position to fail.

What I have done:
    • I have had managers and leaders that have worked tirelessly to help me achieve success.
    • I have learned how to effectively and efficiently organize my time and efforts so that I can be outrageously successful WHILE maintaining an amazing work life balance.
    • I have learned an entire industry, oh which I knew nothing about, and I am now able to confidently walk into an office employing thousands of employees and meet with the CEO and CFO of a company, and leave knowing that he looks at me as his equal. Keep in mind, I am 29 years old and most CEOs and CFOs I meet with are in their 50's-60's.
    • I have learned that in order to be successful in work and in life, I have to be willing to continually invest in my own education, goals, and work ethic. This did not require me to give up my friends and my life, but actually enhanced it, opening doors to meeting more influential people and experiences than ever before.
    • Also, since everyone complains about the PTO schedule, I will say that I have been able to afford and visit more places around the world, since joining Paycom, than I ever have in my life. Again you just have to plan and be willing to prioritize.
    • In two years, I have solidified my place at this company and have already been given the opportunity to be promoted to manage my own sales team in one of the best cities in the United States. This did not come by sitting back and expecting someone to give me this opportunity. I set a goal for myself and knew that my capabilities and work ethic were unrivaled and I worked to achieve this success.
    • I have made the kind of money that one would expect to make with the right drive and ambition. I will not tell you exactly how much, but I would say that most surgeons and top notch lawyers would be envious of the money I have already made at this point in the year. And it just continues to grow each year I have been with this company.
    • Paycom, as a company, is one of the most close-knit, family oriented companies I have ever worked for.
    • Although we have nearly 1,000 employees, I know most employees on a personal level. It is extremely rewarding to know that the vast majority of my co-workers share my vision for building our company and we are all invested in that reality.

Honestly, I could go on for much longer about my positive experience, and it would impress you. However, reading some of the negative reviews from sales reps that clearly underperformed, I ask instead that they, and you as prospective employees reading this, do one thing: take a look in the mirror and ask yourself what kind of future you want.

This job is hard, just as any top-tier professional sales role will be. It is not for someone that does not dream big and have the work ethic to back it up. You will not be coddled along the way and provided instant success just because you are expecting it. There will be days that test your will and make you wonder if you‘re the right person for this role..

However, those that have a deep desire to achieve more than they ever thought possible, this is the place to be. If you want a rewarding career that promotes personal growth and responsibility, this is the place to be. If you want to make more money than anyone else you know, this is the place to be. You can be the only one that decides your future, and it will come through hard work and perseverance, but do not diminish your ability to be outrageously successful with Paycom because of a few bad reviews from past employees who were not strong enough or determined enough to succeed.

Aug 18, 2014Representative

Thank you for taking the time to tell your Paycom story. It is people like yourself that make Paycom the success it has become today.

Unbeatable Opportunity for Self- Motivated Individuals

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time

Pros

Paycom gives you the resources and training to be successful. The company is amazing, and the product is top-notch. The rest is up to you. If you are self motivated, looking to take their career to the next step professionally, and value delayed gratification, then this job is for you. The opportunities are endless, and the job is 100% what you make of it. I would 100% recommend Paycom to anyone looking to be rewarded and compensated for their hard work.

Cons

Year 1 PTO is not ideal, but definitely improves with tenure. It is hard work, and the hours are long so if you are looking for a "flexible" and relaxed job this is not for you.

Continue to share the success of the company with the employees and you will continue to retain the top talent you have worked so hard to get!

Paycom gave me a career, not a job!

Current Employee - Manager in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Before I started with Paycom, I was almost embarrassed to tell people where I worked. I did the same thing every day with low pay and low chances for advancement. I was referred to Paycom by a friend and it has been the best career move of my life. Sure, I started from the bottom, but Paycom promotes from within and I have been promoted, or given a raise, 5 times in 5 years of service. Paycom provides the opportunity to obtain a job and develop it into a career.

Cons

There aren't any cons. Sure, the work can be hard, but it's always rewarding. Yes, there is a lot of change, but we are reshaping the industry and change is required.

Continue to focus on training. I've never worked for a company who valued training and developing their employees as much as Paycom does.