Paycom

Updated 19 November 2014
4.3

Paycom President Chad Richison
Chad Richison

Pros
  • If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back (in 13 reviews)

• That comes with being part of a rapidly growing company (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is poor, as my life began to revolve around the job (in 9 reviews)

• I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Great environment!!

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

There are great people working here! There are many benefits to working at Paycom. They provide $1 health insurance, company luncheons, catered lunches, and many different company functions.

Cons

The pay for my position is a bit low for the amount of stress the work causes. They have black out periods every quarter and year end. This job requires a lot of overtime.

Great Opportunity

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

We work very hard for the success we have but the reward is there waiting on the other side. The growth within the company is there, you just need to decide if it's something your willing to work for!

Cons

Sales is demanding and sometimes you need a couple extra days to unwind and be with your family, friends, ect. So vacation days is something I think should be looked into.

Vacation time

Amazing opportunity with young, rapidly growing company

Current Employee - Dallas sales rep in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Dallas sales rep in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Very high earning potential. Actually kind of crazy how real the money is
    -Training is top priority. CSO Jeff York is a consummate business leader and sales professional. Very hands on for a top executive. Trainings happen two to three times weekly, as they are always trying to make you better. Dallas manager Glen Love has been instrumental in my success, and he actually cares about making you better.
    -Sell a superior product. Makes the job easier, and you can sleep easy when you truly believe in the product you sell. Let's just say that if I ever got fired, I could never work for another HRIS vendor.
    -By far the most tenured support team for implementation and ongoing support. Puts your mind at ease that your clients are well taken care of.
    -Just went public in April 2014. Execs are nothing short of genius. Excellent business plan and strategy. Extremely proactive in growth initiatives.
    -Close team atmosphere. Great learning from tenured reps.

I feel very lucky to be working for Paycom.

Cons

Office is in Lewisville near 121 and I-35. I live in Dallas so it's a bit of a drive, and I'm in the office for some part of Monday Tuesday and Friday.

Given the resources provided, I have found that you are only limited by what you put into it. I work about 45 hours per week, and I'm above plan. It's not difficult if you follow instructions and execute the processes set forth by CSO Jeff York. The process works. I will say this--there's a steep learning curve. If you aren't willing to put your nose to the grindstone until you learn the sales process and the product, this may not be a good fit. Also, do not bother applying for Paycom if you think you have a the greatest sales methodology of all time, and aren't willing to learn and adapt. Lastly, you're going to fail and fall flat on your face some at the beginning. If that bothers you, again, maybe not a good fit.

After being here a year, I would estimate that about 90% of turnover happens in the first year. If you can tough it out, you'll be rewarded with ridiculous compensation.

It seems like if I start thinking of something that could be better, that thing is improved before I have said anything to anyone. Corporate culture is strong, and each department of the business seems obsessed with being the gold standard for the industry. Most of the execs wealth is tied up in Paycom equity, so they have every reason in the world to be fully committed to the long-term success of the business. Paycom is awesome. If you're thinking of applying, do it.

Challenging but worth it!

Current Employee - Outside B2B Sales Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Outside B2B Sales Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

One of the best reasons to work at Paycom is the opportunity for growth. From day one of working at Paycom there is a plan for growth and you start training for that as soon as you start. There are unlimited amounts of training, different challenges that have to be faced daily, and tons of communication from upper management. This career has given me the opportunity to not only grow as a professional, but also in my personal life. Working with executives everyday has given me the tools to succeed and continue to grow in the path I want!

Cons

Some of the challenges at Paycom are that the sales representative is involved throughout the entire lifecycle of the sales process. I say that in a good way because being involved and seeing the entire process come full circle is the best feeling knowing that it was you who got the company up and running and had a collaborative team that worked together to bring a great outcome for the client. Although it is very challenging having to balance the sales and setup process it only makes you a stronger business professional.

The upper management at Paycom cares about your growth within the company. When you bring a new client onboard you are recognized throughout the entire company and given the opportunity to share your success story to other representatives. We have weekly meetings with our direct manager to go over our goals, plan and any help we need reaching those for the week.

Happy Employee

Current Employee - Sale Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sale Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

*The opportunity for growth within the company is huge / Paycom is growing drastically.
    *Best Culture I have experienced, especially in a stressful job.
    *You will see as much success as the work you put in.
    *Ability to make as much money as you're willing to work for.
    *You feel the support from the entire company, you can tell you are valued at Paycom whether you have been with Paycom for 6 months or 5+ years.

Cons

There aren't many cons about this job. The job is hard, but nothing worth having comes easy.

Sales Manager

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

First and foremost, the leadership here at Paycom is why this company is so successful and why the culture is truly one of a kind. You can tell a lot about a company by the way they treat their employees and at Paycom employees are not only highly compensated for their work but are also highly valued and you really see that with all of the tools, training program, and support that the company offers. You are given immense opportunity for upward mobility and success. I have been able to accomplish financial goals, career goals and other personal goals in far less time than many of my friends and family have in their entire career. I am very grateful for that!

Cons

As in any sales job, it's important that you not only have a strong work ethic but that you are also able to have a strong mental state. Some days you will be the hero and some days will not go your way so it's important that you can balance the highs and lows and keep a positive mindset. This career is certainly not for the faint of heart - you must be strong willed.

Maintaining the direct support as the company continues to grow.

Best Career choice I could have made.

Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)
    Current Employee - Paycom Specialist in Oklahoma City, OK (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The company provides so much incentive, from catered lunches, luncheons sponsored by the company once a month, a weekend getaway at the end of every year, to VERY affordable health insurance. Paycom really looks out for their employee's. The work environment is great and the amount of training that is offered is incomparable. I feel fully equipped to conquer whatever the day might throw at me. Not to mention the base salary is well worth all the hard work.

Cons

The work load is not an easy one, but if you like to keep busy and can stay organized Paycom is most definitely a great place to work and to grow professionally. Some times of the year require more hours at the office, which can be exhausting, but that is just part of any job.

While training has helped me immensely, the required trainings can at times detract from my workload. If every other week I have to attend a required training and I have x amount of projects and calls to make, then I am being set up to get behind. There is a lot of expectation as far as my position goes, which I am capable of meeting. A more clear chain of priorities between personal development and taking care of clients and projects would make balancing these two more manageable.

So happy to be at Paycom!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Paycom has been such a wonderful place to work and I can't imgaine being anywhere else! The opportunity they give to Sales Reps to make money and get promoted are great! If you put in the hard work they will definitely reward you back! All of the upper management members truly care about each rep's success and spend their personal time training all new reps that start working here. The culture and environment at Paycom is great- it truly feels like your colleagues are your family members. It seems like every week Paycom is growing and doing things to enhance the business. I have been here for over 3 years currently and can't wait to see what is in store for this great company over the next 3 years!

Cons

There are really not a lot of negatives with this job. Just be prepared to work longer hours than 9 to 5, and lots of miles will be put on your car if you are in outside sales.

Give a little more vacation time :-)

Paycom Response

May 23, 2014Representative

We look forward to watching you continue to grow over the next three years as well. We appreciate you taking the time to tell others about working in sales at Paycom.

A place YOU can choose to make yourself successful

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Finally a work environment where being successful, working hard and being positive about the possibility of the future is not only accepted but fostered. It doesn't matter how long you've been here, anyone that wants to step up can step up and you will experience growth and reward for doing so.

Cons

If you don't find the idea of hunting and the thrill of the close, which will ultimately push you way beyond the comfort zone you thought you lived in, you will likely not be happy here. It's tough to embrace that and to take risks when closing down a deal BUT once you learn to do that....how fun and exhilarating the whole sales process becomes!

Continue placing value in sales rep development - both professionally and personally- by sponsoring trainings and opportunities for continued learning

My experience at Paycom has been amazing thus far. My manager is very helpful and I love my team!

Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Sales Representative in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Paycom full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The money is great! Good culture and the people in management here seem to really care which is so rare.

Cons

I guess if you don't like hard work it could be considered a con... I really don't have any true cons though.

The only thing is that I would say some new people need more training if they don't have any b2b experience.