Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures(in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country(in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door(in 7 reviews)

The Peace Corps was not the experience that I had imagined it would be, but it was well worth it.

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsIf you're an independent, self-motivated person who is okay with putting yourself outside of your comfort zone, the Peace Corps may be for you. It's a great way to gain new perspective on the world, as well as to contribute to a worthy cause.

ConsThe organization as a whole is committed to making things run smoothly and quietly. That means that if you want two years of solitude, you can have it (after the initial training, that it). On the downside, if you experience trouble at your site, you're on your own. Operations vary from country to country, but I found in my experience that the PC staff were not very supportive.

Guatemala Peace Corps

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee)

ProsWonderful staff and many opportunities to develop projects and grow professionally

ConsNo work life balance. No freedom. Priorities are on keeping the post open, not on the life of the volunteers or the projects

There's a reason why "the toughest job you'll ever love" is still one of their slogans.

Community Economic Development Adviser (Former Employee)

ProsApart from being immersed in another culture and language for over two years, I think the main pros are also the cons. This experience will test to to your limits mentally and physically. There was almost no direction in what to do once at site. It can be really difficult, overwhelming, and isolating. But by the end of those 27 months, you can look back at what you've accomplished and say that you made that happen. You initiated meaningful projects and made a real impact on your community not because someone told you to do it, but because you saw that's what needed to be done and did it. And by overcoming those enormous obstacles, it just makes that feeling that much more meaningful.

ConsOther cons were the bureaucracy of decision making from Washington and sometimes volunteers in my country feel as if they weren't supported enough by the medical staff. Keep in mind, however, that I felt very safe and that the medical staff-volunteer relationship will vary drastically within one country, let alone from country to country. It just depends on what your expectations are and the alacrity and American professionalism of your country's medical unit.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great organization if finding value in your work is important to you.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTravel, challenge and essentially managing your own schedule and projects

ConsLimited oversight from management made certain projects difficult to complete

Truly the hardest job you will ever love

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Asuncion, Central (Paraguay)

ProsYou have time by yourself, but also make amazing friends halfway around the world. You learn how to be creative, to be a self-starter, and to not give up. You learn how to embrace failure and ask for support. And you may just learn a language that you will never use again.

ConsNot a lot of support in some countries. I was lucky and had an amazing Peace Corps team, but I have heard that is not the same in all countries.

Great life experience

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Jalapa (Nicaragua)

ProsCultural/language/technical training, the host country staff is great and I grew so much as a person during my 27-month service.

ConsThings are SLOW with DC. Reimbursements, medical requests all took a very long time to be "approved" by DC and then getting back to me.

Great experience! I highly recommend it!

Community Economic Development Volunteer (Former Employee) Arequipa, Arequipa (Peru)

ProsI think the pros are obvious. You get to live in another country and experience a foreign culture like very few Americans have. You gain a perspective on development that is very difficult to get anywhere else.

ConsSometimes you do feel the bureaucracy of the Federal Government. The pros outweigh the cons.

Advice to Senior ManagementHelp out your volunteers when they need it.

Great Training, Work, and Travel

English Teacher Trainer (Former Employee) Ulaanbaatar (Mongolia)

ProsAs a volunteer and as a staff member, I have seen PC from different angles. I was able to spend more than 2 years as a paid-volunteer overseas. In that time, I learned a new language, a new culture, and international experience. I was well taken care of, and I didn't spend any of my own money (except for the blood tests I had to get before I left). As an employee, I could not have had a better experience. They love their staff, and they take care of them. It is a lot of work, but I never felt overwhelmed and the benefits were great.

ConsThe volunteer application is very long. Mine took a year, but other's took longer. You will be "roughing" it for two years. Don't expect first class accommodations. However, this is what a lot of people want out of their experience, the chance to live with locals in a developing country.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to find ways to keep volunteers safe and healthy. My experience was fine, but there is always room for improvement.

Great experience

Community Development Voluneer (Former Employee) Victoria (Grenada)

ProsFantastic learning, great friends, beautiful sights, and an opportunity to make a difference and travel the world!

ConsFar from home (but you know that going in), difficult fitting into the culture

Volunteer

Volunteer (Former Employee) Senegal (Brazil)

ProsVolunteer while living abroad with a paid stipend, excellent medical care, and language training. Peace Corps is well respected within the development community and is an excellent resume builder for someone looking to start an international career.

ConsDifficult working conditions, incompetent bureaucracy, and safety issues. The high degree of staff turnover and differences in work culture between local staff and American volunteers creates a hard to navigate bureaucracy that makes even the simplest tasks difficult. Peace Corps field positions are amazing, life-changing experience but much of your time may be spend wrangling with administrative tasks.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!