Peace Corps

Peace Corps Reviews

Updated Jul 26, 2014

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures(in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well(in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country(in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door(in 7 reviews)

Amazing place to work, despite term limits.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Washington, DC (US)

ProsMission-driven international agency with mission to promote world peace and friendship through service to others. Staff at every level, in every position somehow tied to this wonderful mission on daily basis. Attracts best and brightest, with idealist temperaments, caring souls, and thoughtful leaders.

ConsThe Five Year Rule - statutory term limit from the Peace Corps Act of 1961. Most staff can only work here for five year term limits (some exceptions for up to three years more). Benefit of non-competitive eligibility for federal employment after three years at Peace Corps is great, assuming federal employers are willing to recognize this hiring advantage.

The toughest job that you'll be too embarrassed to admit you hate.

PCV (Former Employee) Nairobi (Kenya)

ProsFantastic experience, graduate degree fellowships, language skills, life time friends.

ConsPay isn't great, difficult living arrangements, no clear direction for upward mobility.

Advice to Senior ManagementMost of the training and application process is about building realistic expectation for the experience.

It is amazing how many people still go in without realistic expectations.

Toughest job you'll ever love

ProsAutonomy to explore any projects and careers that you want, learn language and culture, be able to work with local communities and share their culture.

ConsLots of alone time or time drinking coffee with your neighbors watching dust blow by.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would be great if training provided more skills in emotional intelligence skills or sessions in the soft skills... I also wish they spoke more about the political decisions of why some countries and sites are chosen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent fore into the world of international development

Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Cotova (Moldova)

ProsGreat language training, chance to live with great people in another country

ConsLiving and working in a different culture can be exhausting at times

Transformative experience.

Returned Peace Corps Volunteer (Former Employee) Lomé, Maritime (Togo)

ProsWhile everyone's experience differs, mine was very open ended. I was given the chance to live in a town in West Africa, interview people and learn about their needs, and then search for innovative ways to bring people together to meet those needs. It was the most freedom I've ever had in a position, and learning to understand another culture and the perspectives of so many people in it was a once-in-a-lifetime experience. I left feeling inspired that if I listened closely enough and worked hard enough, I could make a difference in people's lives. Excellent language training and cross-cultural communication training.

ConsLiving in a town in Africa comes with many challenges. At first, one is frequently sick. As a foreign woman, you have to learn to deal with a lot of unwanted attention. Sometimes people in the community you serve have such different values from your own that it is hard to reconcile. Nevertheless, I loved the experience and would recommend it to anyone.

Advice to Senior ManagementAdditional opportunities for collaboration among volunteers would be helpful. As the beneficiary communities become more sophisticated, access to resources such as more phone minutes or printers and photocopiers become more important.

Toughest Job You Will Ever Love

Peace Corps Volunteer (Current Employee) Barranquilla, Atlántico (Colombia)

ProsInternational training and work experience

ConsWorking in another culture has its stress moments and working with 6-11th graders can be challenging as well.

Life Changing

ProsEveryone knows the pros of the Peace Corps. You get to travel to a foreign country for free and live like the locals. The experience is so much more than that, but you have to find out the pros for yourself.

ConsEveryone has a different Peace Coprps experience. You go in understanding that you don't have a choice over where you serve, you just serve because that is what you want to do.

Great Experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsOnce in a lifetime experience to work in a community that you would not have otherwise had access to. If you are interested in living overseas, PC is a great way to try it without incurring as much risk.

ConsDefinitely some challenging times living in another culture and being away from any real structure. Teaches you how to manage yourself.

Great opportunity to make a difference and learn about the world

Secondary Education Volunteer (Former Employee) Cyangugu (Rwanda)

ProsExcellent language training. A good springboard for work in international development. It will change the way you see the world.

ConsCultural adjustment is difficult. Sometimes you feel you aren't getting enough support, but you make the best of it.

An incredible opportunity

Environmental Volunteer (Former Employee) Bratislava (Slovakia)

ProsExperience different cultures and new challenges. Amazing opportunity to travel and work overseas, learn a new language, and make life-long friendships.

ConsThe work you do will not necessarily translate into a job when you return home, though you will inevitably get asked about your Peace Corps service in every single job interview.

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!