Peace Corps Reviews

Updated 20 October 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 32 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 22 reviews)

• Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Information Technology Teacher, Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Peace Corps does a good job of looking after its volunteers. Provides many support systems, including training, safety, and health.

Cons

Long duration for volunteer selection. If applying to become a volunteer, be aware that the application process can take a while, for me 9 months from applying to departure.

Worth the pain.

Current Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unbelievably unique opportunity to gain a global perspective and complete projects from inception to completion. The kind of experience you will carry with you for the rest of your life.

Cons

Often very difficult living conditions along the lines of no electricity or running water and extreme weather. You must be on duty 24/7 and witness some harsh injustices.

The hardest job you'll ever love!

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The primary advantage of being a Peace Corps volunteer over other entry-level overseas positions is the significant infrastructural support you receive, that is, medical care, language training, technical training in your sector, etc. There is almost infinite space for you to realize sustainable development, the primary limitation being you, your willingness to fill in your knowledge gaps, to collaborate with others, to do what it takes to get the job done.

Cons

The greatest challenge was overcoming isolation, which I largely did through finding satisfaction with my work and creating a life in the place I lived.

Encourage volunteers to be their own advocates!

Great Place If You Don't Know What You're doing

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Nonthaburi (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Nonthaburi (Thailand)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Experience. You get a taste of what it's like to live abroad. It's definitely worth it insofar as expanding your horizons is concerned

Cons

Can be seen as a waste of time. Staff may not be supportive.

Hard work and trying times balanced with incredible bonds and hammock time

Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Volunteer in Alto Cedro (Panama)
    Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Volunteer in Alto Cedro (Panama)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You gain incredible life experiences and an insane amount of professional confidence, especially when it comes to leadership, project management, public speaking, teaching, community integration, language, and so much more. Not to mention the health benefits are great.

Cons

Challenges: you're in a completely different culture which takes a few months to adapt to, and which will never be 100% yours. Little contact with supervisors. While the health benefits are great, sometimes your country's medical department can be a bit lacking.

Certainly a life changing experience.

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Choma, Southern (Zambia)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Choma, Southern (Zambia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It certainly is an incredible experience that will help you develop as a person while you are out helping others. I recommend joining the Peace Corps to anyone interested in international development, international development, service, and cross-cultural interaction.

Cross-cultural opportunities
    International Development
    Great support
    Challenging
    Learning Experience
    Personal Development

Cons

It can be a bit bureaucratic, which is to be expected for a government agency. It truly is a volunteer position, so do not expect more than the bare minimum to survive.

Culture Shock
    Living Allowance has not increased in over a decade
    NCE status too short to be effectively utilized

Peace Corps Volunteer wahooooooooooooo

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

Super fun! And Ethiopian food is delicious.

Cons

Sometimes no power or phone network

Life changing

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Works that is meaningful for you

Cons

Tough living conditions at times

Keep up the great work

Cut Short by Ebola

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Freetown (Sierra Leone)
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Freetown (Sierra Leone)

I have been working at Peace Corps as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Wonderful people to live and work with. Similar backgrounds and experiences all led us to pick Peace Corps. Most of the staff were former volunteers, so they knew what situation we were in.

Cons

As with all government agencies, there's a hefty amount of bureaucracy. I was in Sierra Leone, and it didn't seem as if everyone was quite sure what was happening. This is completely understandable, though, because of Ebola. That is what ultimately cut our experience short.

Toughest job I'll ever love.

Former Employee - School & Community Resources Volunteer in Pretoria, Gauteng (South Africa)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Though quite challenging, the rewards you claim from successful projects and goals attained is absolutely amazing. The level of personal development and growth you gain is unmatched from any other work experience. Traveling in country or outside the borders is always a perk.

Cons

The application process is long and demanding. At respective sites/villages, volunteers are responsible for their own health and safety, which requires good-judgement and awareness. Compensation is minimal since you are a volunteer.