Peace Corps Reviews

Updated 28 October 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 33 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 22 reviews)

• Peace Corps has a "five-year rule" which limits employment and reduces institutional memory (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Information Technology Teacher, Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Peace Corps does a good job of looking after its volunteers. Provides many support systems, including training, safety, and health.

Cons

Long duration for volunteer selection. If applying to become a volunteer, be aware that the application process can take a while, for me 9 months from applying to departure.

Community Economic Development Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps

Pros

culture exchange
    working in development
    flexible work environment
    training

Cons

securing sustainability
    no work structure
    27 month commitment

Worth the experience

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You get real life grassroots development practice. Peace Corps does an excellent job training you in all aspects so you are ready to hit the ground running at your site. It is truly a unique experience.

Cons

It is an individual experience and depends on not only how much work you put in but the work of your counterpart. Things move slower in a developing country. Can be lonely at points.

Some rules are too repressive. The amount of reporting and paperwork is also a bit ridiculous.

Good Times as a Volunteer

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Freedom to choose your scope of work.
    Lots of free time.
    See interesting places.

Cons

Low pay - Sometimes you live a quality of life below that of your host-country peers.
    You may get placed in a site where there is little community buy-in.
    Sometimes you will need to pass through unsafe areas during your travels exposing yourself to crime.

Invest in more intensive site development.
    More accommodating medical staff in-country.

Not easy or fun, but wouldn't take it back!

Current Employee - Rural Health & Sanitation Extentionist in Villarrica (Paraguay)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

A life-changing experience that builds skills such as resourcefulness, determination, endurance... ability to overcome hardship.

Cons

You are totally on your own so you must be a self-starter and self-organizer in order to have a worthwhile experience.

Keep up the great work & thank you for everything.

The toughest job you'll ever love.

Former Employee - Rural Community Health Volunteer in Cotonou (Benin)
    Former Employee - Rural Community Health Volunteer in Cotonou (Benin)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I was tired of my old job and wanted a new adventure, training and a chance to travel.

Cons

Originally, i had been invited to Honduras, where I could use my Spanish skills, Then I was invited to Benin, so i had to learn to speak French. West Africa is one of the least developed areas on the planet, and add to that the need to speak a new language, plus a local, unwritten language, it all made for a very challenging assignment.

Seek out a lot of good host country nationals to capitalize on the energy and enthusiasm of your volunteers.

The hardest job you'll ever love!

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Johannesburg (South Africa)

I worked at Peace Corps as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The primary advantage of being a Peace Corps volunteer over other entry-level overseas positions is the significant infrastructural support you receive, that is, medical care, language training, technical training in your sector, etc. There is almost infinite space for you to realize sustainable development, the primary limitation being you, your willingness to fill in your knowledge gaps, to collaborate with others, to do what it takes to get the job done.

Cons

The greatest challenge was overcoming isolation, which I largely did through finding satisfaction with my work and creating a life in the place I lived.

Encourage volunteers to be their own advocates!

Worth the pain.

Current Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent in Washington, DC (US)
    Current Employee - Agroforestry Extension Agent in Washington, DC (US)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Unbelievably unique opportunity to gain a global perspective and complete projects from inception to completion. The kind of experience you will carry with you for the rest of your life.

Cons

Often very difficult living conditions along the lines of no electricity or running water and extreme weather. You must be on duty 24/7 and witness some harsh injustices.

Great Place If You Don't Know What You're doing

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Nonthaburi (Thailand)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Nonthaburi (Thailand)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great Experience. You get a taste of what it's like to live abroad. It's definitely worth it insofar as expanding your horizons is concerned

Cons

Can be seen as a waste of time. Staff may not be supportive.

Hard work and trying times balanced with incredible bonds and hammock time

Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Volunteer in Alto Cedro (Panama)
    Former Employee - Sustainable Agriculture Volunteer in Alto Cedro (Panama)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time (more than an year)

Pros

You gain incredible life experiences and an insane amount of professional confidence, especially when it comes to leadership, project management, public speaking, teaching, community integration, language, and so much more. Not to mention the health benefits are great.

Cons

Challenges: you're in a completely different culture which takes a few months to adapt to, and which will never be 100% yours. Little contact with supervisors. While the health benefits are great, sometimes your country's medical department can be a bit lacking.