Peace Corps Reviews

Updated 8 September 2014
4.3

Peace Corps Acting Director Carrie Hessler-Radelet
Carrie Hessler-Radelet

Pros
  • Leadership experience, learn a new language, experience new cultures (in 31 reviews)

• You go planning to meet really interesting Host Country Nationals (HCN) and you end up meeting some amazing fellow Americans as well (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • Admin doesn't quite understand the realities of being a volunteer, but that depends country to country (in 21 reviews)

• Five-year rule causes too much turn over, you need to be looking for a new job when you walk in the door (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Peace Corps is not for everybody, but I have certainly never regretted my decision to join.

Current Employee - TEFL Volunteer  in  Panamá (Panama)
    Current Employee - TEFL Volunteer in Panamá (Panama)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Opportunity to dedicate your time to something about which you are really passionate about; ability to work independently without too much bureaucratic constraint and without the boss breathing down your neck or mandating your work hours.

Cons

Feeling a lack of productivity. Being a full-time community organizer can make you feel like hanging out and making friends is part of your job. (Which can also be a pro.) Type-As will have to learn to relax and go with the flow in order to get people to trust you and work with you on projects. Type-Bs will have to learn to be proactive in order to get anything done in your Peace Corps site.

Management needs to be as willing as the volunteers are to get their hands dirty and deal with the unpopular and unsexy issues!

It was life changing

Current Employee - English Education Volunteer  in  Chisinau (Moldova)
    Current Employee - English Education Volunteer in Chisinau (Moldova)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Life experience that will be a huge asset to future careers. Empowering yourself and the community where you serve.

Cons

Cultural challenges, weather, harsh living conditions.

Support volunteers fully and make sure their voices and concerns are heard.

An opportunity to learn about other cultures and discover your strengths and weaknesses

Former Employee - GSA  in  Cochabamba (Bolivia)
    Former Employee - GSA in Cochabamba (Bolivia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is one in a life time experience to grow. You have international exposure, improve language skills, learn how to work and adapt to work within a different culture and within bi-national teams.
    It gives you the opportunity to value what you had the opportunity to enjoy in US.

Cons

It can be challenging at times to adjust to new cultures, salaries are not great,

It can be bureaucratic.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Timeliness? Not so much. Opportunity to test yourself and experience the world? Eee, bomma le borra!

Current Employee - NGO Volunteer  in  Gaborone (Botswana)
    Current Employee - NGO Volunteer in Gaborone (Botswana)

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

I feel that I am part of a family of volunteers (even international ones) where we are bound together in this odd place, trying to figure out how to maneuver and support eachother. In my work with NGOs daily, I get to see beyond the reports, articles, and textbooks the dynamics of development on the ground and how messy if can be - but, also, since we have no clear job description, you can find your own strengths in working with host country nationals in developing sustainable changes (if it is possible).

Cons

Staff is unresponsive on the ground. We are not allowed to drive, can barely afford transport and communication, food is hard to fit in the budget if you want to go beyond grains (at least we are getting the local context), but with all this... It takes days for staff to remember to respond to a text or e- mail. Also, we need several layers of permission for basic things. Even my local friends wonder why we are sent here and expected to accomplish so much (even if we have no clear job description - we must report on and measure our activities quarterly) with few resources, bureaucratic rules, and unresponsive ness.

Listen to your volunteers and try to help adjust pay for those of us living in more expensive areas than the others. No area is the same - stop treating it that way! And please stop expecting us to have laptops, etc., then do nothing to help us get and maintain the appropriate sort.

Formative experience - extremely helpful for defining future career

Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Dakar (Republic of Congo)
    Former Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer in Dakar (Republic of Congo)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities to learn from community because of independent work environment.

Cons

Level of funding from Congress would allow for greater support for training and other support services for volunteers.

A challenging experience that builds character and helps one understand how the developing world operates.

Former Employee - CED Peace Corps Volunteer  in  Okongo (Namibia)
    Former Employee - CED Peace Corps Volunteer in Okongo (Namibia)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Being able to work with diverse groups of host country nationals (HCN) and hear their stories.
    - Clearly seeing the results of your and your colleagues' work.
    - The ability to use a wide range of skills and having the freedom to take part in a number of unique projects.
    - Becoming an expert in the country and part of the world that you are assigned to.
    - Gaining basic proficiency in a foreign language.
    - Becoming integrated in and very close to a host family and a, typically small, host community.

Cons

- Peace Corps Pre-Service Training (PST) is often too broad and not specific or technical enough.
    - The potential and quality of volunteer sites often varies dramatically.
    - Peace Corps staff, like sites, vary dramatically in both ability and knowledge which can be frustrating.

The Peace Corps has a huge amount of potential. However, more technical training needs to be provided during PST on policies and document formatting requirements specific to the country that a group of volunteers is serving in. For example, providing more technical information during PST could help ensure that volunteers did not waste months of their time assisting HCNs with writing business plans and government contract bids that did not actually meet the basic requirements of the country's financial institutions and government offices. This was a situation I observed firsthand, on numerous occasion, during my own service that could have easily been rectified with a few additional country specific community economic development technical training sessions during PST.

Amazing

I worked at Peace Corps

Pros

Great people , great opportunities .

Cons

Hard to get into as they keep their employees for a long time .

Keep up the good work .

Provides International Perspective

Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer
    Current Employee - Peace Corps Volunteer

I have been working at Peace Corps full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Things I had read in school or in magazines became real and tangible. You are your own boss to a large extent. Explore yourself and develop life skills that you will draw from forever.

Cons

You don't have enough money to make lasting tangible differences. Must believe in pedagogy and teaching.

Agriculture Advisor

Former Employee - Agriculture Volunteer  in  Sunyani (Ghana)
    Former Employee - Agriculture Volunteer in Sunyani (Ghana)

I worked at Peace Corps full-time for more than a year

Pros

Intense experience, meet amazing people, have a great adventure. Life changing experience. Will actually miss it in a weird way when it's all over.

Cons

It's hard. You'll get sick, it will be dangerous, you will lose a lot of faith in government and development work. Most times projects won't work out how you planned.

Great experience, would recommend to anyone interested in working abroad

Former Employee - Volunteer
    Former Employee - Volunteer

I worked at Peace Corps for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexibility and insightful experience, would highly recommend to anyone

Cons

Strict policies and procedures when out of site

Worked for Peace Corps? Contribute to the Community!