Perrigo

Updated 11 December 2014
3.5

Perrigo Chairman, President, and CEO Joseph C. Papa
Joseph C. Papa

Pros
  • Always looking to further embrace the work-life balance (though it can be a slow process of adaption in some areas) (in 9 reviews)

• Great Benefits, opportunities to grow, the culture at the Allegan location is great (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Location is remote and work-life balance is a struggle (in 3 reviews)

• Location in small town of Allegan (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for now but...

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Allegan, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Allegan, MI (US)

I have been working at Perrigo full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits, easy jobs with realistic employee expectations. Benefits are some of the cheapest in the area if you meet their fitness criteria.

Cons

Antiquated manufacturing processes and an old school business model signals a focus on short term profits rather than long term viability

Low expectations of employees on almost every level can be very frustrating for managers

Recent changes to wages and benefits and a corporate inversion to maximize profits, may be a warning to anyone considering a job offer here.

Focus on making perrigo a state of the art, trend setting industry leading manufacturing facility for long term success. Too much focus on spending pennies to make nickels short term instead of spending real money for long term success. Adopting manufacturing processes 10 years or more after they are considered innovative is not a good plan.

Human Resources Manager

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Allegan, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Allegan, MI (US)

I have been working at Perrigo full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great purpose, product, and work environment. Perrigo is in growth mode with in-your-face opportunities around every corner. Many leaders and individual contributors see the opportunities too.

Cons

None that are out if the ordinary, such as change in infrastructure is not as nimble as it should be considering the acquisition activity.

Remain open to the need to operate differently as well as develop Perrigo's talent considering the changes in landscape. Gotta be proactive.

Most Collaborative Environment!

I have been working at Perrigo full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Onsite 24 hour fitness center, great benefits, flexible schedules, awesome coworkers. Emphasis on wellness and giving back to the surrounding communities and educational institutions. Bonus plans that have consistently paid out.

Cons

location - everyone has to commute to Allegan, small community and no draw to live there. No shopping, no restaurants but fast food, poor downtown.

Keep making the smart acquisition decisions

Pays the bills

Former Employee - QC Technician in Minneapolis, MN (US)
    Former Employee - QC Technician in Minneapolis, MN (US)

I worked at Perrigo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people I worked with were great and very friendly. I learned a lot about working in a lab that has federal regulations.

Cons

Management did not care about employee opinion. The pay was low for the job. Hourly employees had to clock in and out, a policy that changed midway through my employment and made most employees feel as though they were not working in a corporate office.

Pay attention to what your employees are asking for.

Corporate position

I have been working at Perrigo full-time

Pros

Very good salary and benefits, interesting business with high growth potential, always learning something new. Really feel that what we do is important and am proud of the Company and executive team. There is a great work ethic and people help each other out.

Cons

Location is remote and work-life balance is a struggle. Lots of acquisitions over the past few years and exponential growth is exciting, but there hasn't been enough of a focus on how to adjust processes and add resources to help alleviate the workload. Everyone works very hard, but many are burned out. A 6/30 year-end is really tough with the short Michigan summers.

Don't just preach work-life balance, help make it happen by assessing resources needed and making changes as needed. We all want to see the company do well.

Perrigo ugh

Current Employee - QC Lab Tech in Allegan, MI (US)
    Current Employee - QC Lab Tech in Allegan, MI (US)

I have been working at Perrigo full-time

Pros

They have great benefits, they organize events for their employees, and it is a stable company to work for if you are looking for a career

Cons

Most lab people start out through a 4 month contract, but no one gets hired into the company when their contract is over. Perrigo cares about it's employees, but not contract workers who are doing the exact same job. You can be on contract for 18 months with no hire date in sight. Simply put: contract workers are used and abused with empty promises.

They are all about the business

I worked at Perrigo full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Company that's been around for years and knows exactly who they are. Typically good people to work with, decent employees.

Cons

Management isn't upfront with employees on new acquisitions. Make new employees feel as if they are apart of team, but then pull the plug on their division without warning.

Quality of Work experience depends on which location you work for.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holland, MI (US)

I have been working at Perrigo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, opportunities to grow, the culture at the Allegan location is great. The work-life balance is all right- you can be stuck on a shift for years before getting the opportunity to change shifts.

Cons

My cons really have to do with one specific site of the company. I have worked both at the Allegan location and at the Holland location. I should not have moved from Allegan to Holland. The Holland location of Perrigo is run like it's the 1980's, in the way it treats safety, gender, and harassment in the workplace. Supposed "zero-tolerance" policies for drug abuse, safety, or harassment are never actually used, nor do problem employees get demoted or transferred. If you're looking for a respectful environment to work in, look elsewhere.

The management from Allegan should really audit the Holland site to root out the bad managers and discover all the problems with the work culture.

Best Internship EVER

Former Employee - Analytical R&D in Allegan, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Analytical R&D in Allegan, MI (US)

I worked at Perrigo as an intern (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fantastic work-life balance, truly caring corporation with a real commitment to health and well-being of employees. I was paid very fairly during my four-year internship. Flexible schedules in most lab positions.

Cons

Had a few issues with low-level management during my internship, specifically unequal treatment and compensation with an intern in a similar position with the same background. HR sorted it out eventually, but it bothers me that it went on for so long and probably wouldn't have changed if he hadn't shared with me that his reviews were resulting in a slight raise every term.

Great insurance as of fiscal year 2013. Management on executive level is amazing. Management on floor could be better.

Current Employee - Packaging Specialist in Allegan, MI (US)
    Current Employee - Packaging Specialist in Allegan, MI (US)

I have been working at Perrigo full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bonus every quarter. Fitness center along with discounted insurance for being healthy. CEO is one of the best. Very strong core values. Perrigo has many internal job options, help with college, and is very family centered. Job is one of the easiest I have ever had. Lots of training involved.

Cons

Very little direct hire. Most jobs w/o degree require temp service to become full time. Time ranges from one month to one year to be hired.

Communication needs to be improved. Fitness center should be offered to anyone who is required to do the PWP. Trainers should be paid more for leading lines.