PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation (in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Company

ProsLove all the positions I've held. PetSmart has taken the time to put together some great training models, employee incentives, and employee support programs.

ConsLoooong hours. As Pet Products Mgr, I worked a minimum of 50 hours/week. Not enough payroll to support the staff needed to get everything done. Also, the actual training of new associates is very lax. You are plopped in front of a computer for two shifts then tossed into your department. I was hired into a mgt spot and was trained the same way. It's survival of the fittest if you want to work here

Advice to Senior ManagementHire store managers who are not robots or puppets on a string. Realize that, although your policies are excellent (honestly some of the better ones I've seen) everything cannot always be black and white.

College job, not a career

Pet Care Associate (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

ProsMy specific store was very lenient with my schedule since I was in college. It is the busiest store in the district so there was always plenty of hours to work. Management was ok, not the greatest but I have had worse. Decent discounts for employees.

ConsManagement did not really care about anything, specially their pets for the most part. Thankfully everyone in the pet care department cared enough to keep them healthy, but all management cared was about making money and keeping customers happy.

Retail store review - PetCare

Petcare Associate (Former Employee) Phoenix, AZ (US)

ProsVery easy entry level jobs in retail. They give you a lot of training (paid) and most managers are pretty cool. Great PTO and health benefits.

ConsThe pay for beginning management in retail is somewhere between $10 and $12 an hour. Really? That's pretty low.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Playing with puppies helps make the worst days a little better.

Presentation Manager (Current Employee) Albany, NY (US)

ProsYou get paid to play with puppies. The pay, particularly for management is well above average for retail.

ConsCompany is making some poor decisions and is forcing employees to keep doing the same amount of work with fewer and fewer employees and hours. Have to work many extreme hours including overnights and extremely early hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmployees can't give good customer service if there aren't any employees on the floor to help the customers.

One of the few retail jobs that isn't a dead end

Lead Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) Louisville, KY (US)

ProsIf you're working full time there, you have plenty of opportunity to advance within the company, paid vacation, benefits, and sick days. You get to interact with pets and you're encouraged to enthusiastically learn more about animals. It's a real social job.

ConsWell.. it's retail. For every good customer, there are two bad ones. The pay is subpar especially for the type of work you do and the raises are a laughable. The corporate folks mostly focus on customer satisfaction and safety which is of course GREAT, but they also are horrific with micromanaging the stores and their employees. As much as I loved the environment with my immediate managers, we all felt suffocated by our overbearing corporate overlords.

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that the employees are people and not robot.

Loved working here from day 1

Petcare Specialist (Current Employee) Albuquerque, NM (US)

ProsManagement and customers are friendly, the animals are healthy and well taken care of and sales are awesome

ConsOn your feet all day and working the fish wall you will always get wet. The store can get very loud at times

Good animal care policies until upper management gives you advice

Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee) Arlington, TX (US)

ProsI enjoyed working with the animals. They had a good animal care policy and followed it. A decent veterinarian was accessible for the occasional illness.

ConsMy main complaint is that upper management insisted on giving me bad advice in animal care. For example, they kept insisting that put a solid opaque acrylic lid on cages that had animals with UV requirements (UV does not transmit through acrylic). I tried to explain this but insisted because of humidity requirements (not as important as UV for the animal in question). People who know nothing about the animals in question don't need to be reading a piece of paper and think they can give advice on it. Instead, I just had to change it while they were there and then change it back. Another issue is the high turnover rate and constantly hiring kids fresh out of high school who have no work ethic. If someone gets lazy, an animal could suffer, so this practice is not okay. The pay is very low at minimum wage but this is also just a pet store. Raises are time based so you can get a higher wage later on. There was some extreme retaliation and nepotism problems at my particular store which resulted in other people getting their hours cut so their buddy could have them (even though they worked in another dept). Also, there was too much emphasis on sales and not enough on animal care. No common sense. For example, they saw no problem selling a full grown turtle in a starter kit meant for a juvenile because "it's a starter kit and we sell it". No. Just no. The policy is great while caring for animals in store but it seems as soon as it comes to sales, that kind of thing goes out the window. There is absolutely no training in animal care. All of the new employee training deals with sales, not animal health. We are also typically are there at 6am to do maintenance before opening hours but often there is only one employee scheduled and it is very difficult to clean an entire department, scrub the fish section, feed all the animals, clean dirty dishes, and then take care of receiving and the quiet room in only three hours.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart training your new employees on animal care as well as how to sell products. Most customers come to us knowing nothing about the animal and it would do everyone a favor if employees could use critical thinking skills instead of regurgitating lists of what products go with what animal. I know you have to balance care with business, but keep in mind that you have a 14 day guarantee. If that animal is not cared for properly, the animal could be returned and you lose money. If that animal survives past the guarantee but tragically dies or gets sick because of employee recommendations, you will lose return business and you will lose money. Your upper management should also be trained in animal care, not just business practices, to prevent incidents such as I described with the acrylic lids.

Cool

ProsGood work environment most the time

ConsNo full time cashiers at my store

Advice to Senior Management...

Great place to work when you have multiple pets and love animals!

Pet Trainer (Former Employee) Philadelphia, PA (US)

ProsWorking for PetSmart was great, given my love for animals and their well-being. The woman who trained me out at another store location was very knowledgable and had been in the industry for many years. Selling classes was definitely tougher in my home store of South Philadelphia (based on the demographics of the area) than it was out in the suburbs where I trained, but the commission on sales was a nice benefit and helped encourage me to sell more classes. My original store manager was very flexible with my schedule in college and allowed me to schedule my own class sessions around it, which was very helpful. Best thing about the job? I got to play with adorable puppies every day.

ConsNew(er) management was NOT flexible with college/school schedules and/or other jobs. This led to my departure (as well as managers hiring family members and playing favorites among employees). I also volunteered with the organization at the time that housed cats in the in-store adoption center - apparently this was an issue with my managers and I often gotten scolded for caring about and being concerned over the well-being of the animals if one of them got sick, etc. Raises were almost non-existent (but maybe that was just at my particular store…I don't know). Other employees were often lazy and the work they did not complete often got pushed off on other employees who already had more than enough work to do. Management also liked to play favorites (especially since family members were often hired by one manager in particular…).

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough many employees at this particular store were not interested in higher education, it would be helpful if management were more flexible with schedules. Discourage favoritism, and do not allow managers to hire family members, often creating conflicts of interest.

Quite the learning experience

Support Manager (Current Employee) Baton Rouge, LA (US)

ProsGreat job if you like and/or can tolerate customer service and very hard work

Conswhen promoted, there is no guidance. Pretty much winging it.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!