PetSmart Reviews

Updated 29 August 2014

3.4

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 67 reviews)

• Worked as a hotel employee for two years - great hours (usually full time hours), long shifts (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • There are not always full-time opportunities for interns available upon their graduation (in 44 reviews)

• There are not enough employees there during the day at anytime, especially in the Pet Care department (in 38 reviews)

More Highlights

Work Hard, Gain Respect

Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker, Pet Care Specialist  in  Harrisonburg, VA (US)
    Former Employee - Cashier/Stocker, Pet Care Specialist in Harrisonburg, VA (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is a chain, so the rules and standards are pretty black and white. I never got surprised by "getting called into the office for a talk" at this company because I tried my hardest to follow the rules and own up to and apologize for any mistakes I made. The Management sees a lot of different employees come through, so if you stay a while, work hard, and cover shifts, they will like you and be pretty helpful. (To be fair, 2 of the 8 or so managers that I have worked for at PetSmart were super kind, helpful, and understanding from day 1, but the majority take a while to get there.)

Cons

As I stated above, respect is earned at the 2 PetSmarts at which I have been employed. Some of the managers don't exactly start out warm and friendly to new employees. If you want a job where you have respect and a flexible schedule from day 1, this is probably not the best place for you. Work with them and they will work with you, but expect to put a little work in first.

While the phrase 'Respect is earned not given' isn't exactly the kindest outlook on mankind, I understand that you see a turnover of employees that are not very motivated and you get tired of it. I suppose my suggestion would be to explain this to new employees and don't go over the top and get cranky with newbies over small things. Maybe sit them down and say something to the effect of what i said above, "Hey, look, John, we want to work with you and be helpful employers, but in this company we need a lot of structure, so what we need to see from you is that you are dedicated and diligent and that you want to work for us..." or something to that effect. I saw some people label managers as mean, when really, they weren't mean people, they just get frustrated with the turnover.

Petsmart

Current Employee - Cashier  in  Virginia Beach, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Cashier in Virginia Beach, VA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's a great place to work. You get to see doggies everyday.

Cons

Pay isn't that great. Sometimes annoying customers come in.

Be nice to your employees.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Lead Pet Care Specialist in Atlanta, GA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good benefits and fun place to work if you love animals. weekly pay check is always good! Fun to help customers with their new pets and explaining how to care for them. Growth is there..

Cons

Laziness from management. No team work from employees. Pay is poor. the open door policy basically means employees are more worried about your home life verse your performance at work. Too much focus on sales which can be stressful. The schedule is never the same week to week to it is almost impossible to plan anything outside of work! Overworked and underpaid!! if you work hard and take on other responsibilities it will become part of your job without extra pay.

Take control. Come out of the office and offer assistance. Stop sitting at the computer all day. Take blame for your wrongs instead of throwing each other under the bus.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of Fur, Feathers, and Scales but not much Pay

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

Practically therapeutic to go to work, no matter the people drama, or school stress there just aren’t too many places you can go to work and just pick up a handful of hamsters. It’s actually policy to pet dogs! It is basic retail expectations (sales, stocking, facing) but you are compensated with kittens and chinchillas.

Cons

Pay is low for an associate, as well as management (unless you are a store manager) so really this job couldn’t be your primary means of supporting yourself. Even as a second job, it would be a stretch. There is not much in the way of growth because from my observations they do not hire from within. Also, no one was full time, except management and 1 of the trainers.

Consider paying more than minimum wage, or at least promoting from within.

Wonderful opportunities, wonderful experience.

Current Employee - Pet Care Manager  in  Reno, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Pet Care Manager in Reno, NV (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great coworkers, pay, and benefits. I started off as a stocker. I worked hard and gave it all I had. Within five months I moved on up to support manager, now I'm a Pet Care Manager. I appreciate my coworkers and the management team whom have helped me to grow.

Cons

Only con is that the holidays - from Black Friday through New Year's Day - are all black out days. So be prepared to not be able to travel during the holiday season.

Great Company

Current Employee - Petcare Specialist  in  Fairfax, VA (US)
    Current Employee - Petcare Specialist in Fairfax, VA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

- Great manager all 4 years I have worked here
    - Great pay for a first/college job
    - Fun coworkers
    - You get 30% off coupons 4 times a year up to like a 300$ purchase, stock up

Cons

- Hard work (don't expect an easy job)
    - In the Petshotel you have to work holidays/ no way to get holidays off
    - After Obama care I couldn't do as many hours because they didn't want to give me benefits, but I don't want benefits, I was fine working 40 + hours with only part time benefits (which includes a stock plan)...this is more of an Obamacare issue though.

Would recommend if you are a true animal lover, and are incredibly patient with both pets and people.

Current Employee - Dog Bather
    Current Employee - Dog Bather

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Having the opportunity to work directly with pets is perhaps the best perk to working in the services part of PetSmart (grooming, hotel, reptiles and fish). Management is always willing to work with my schedule, as I work part-time at both PetSmart and another, and I am also a full time college student, so my schedule is usually fairly crazy. The team at my store is awesome, and highly supportive of each other. If you want to become dog groomer, being a dog bather is the first step to being sent off to academy. Dog groomers make relativity good money for the educational requirements and experience required (50% commission off of all services performed by groomer, can see weekly paycheck of $800+ working full time during busy periods)

Cons

A large part of working here is working directly with customers (customer service), which comes with all the challenges commonly associated with it. 98% of the customers you will meet are awesome and wonderful people, the other 2% will ruin your day. Working with the pets is also a challenge in of its self, some dogs will give you problems when it comes to performing the services you need to do with them. Working in the grooming salon can be incredibly stressful at times, as a dog bather you will be required to balance bathing your dogs, performing walk in services (nail trims, ear cleanings, anal gland expressions), answering the phones, and helping out other grooming staff members, it is easy to get behind and hard to catch back up. The pay for dog bathers sucks compared to your dog grooming co workers, don't expect to be making more than a $0.50/hour more from your starting wage if you stick with the company for year and don't move up into grooming.

Pay your service employees more! They are the bread and butter of a large portion of the company, and bring in customers that not only use our services, but also purchase products from the store. I personally have witnessed a large degree of turnover within these departments due to all the stresses of the positions, but also the low pay for the effort required. The most important investment a company can make for its future is in its employees.

It was a fun store environment.

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  Macon, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Macon, GA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

Pros

they had very flexible work hours

Cons

they only paid minimum wage with no guarantee of hours

Pretty good company but lots of micromanagement

Former Employee - Groomer  in  High Point, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Groomer in High Point, NC (US)

I worked at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great coworkers, being with animals, good benefits, room of growth in the company and many different positions and locations

Cons

Micromanaging every detail by a heirarchy of bosses that would make surprise visits and fire people on the spot for minor infractions. Some heavy "who you know" drama in company. Pay was ok, but man you reallly had to bust your butt for it.

Calm down folks! Intimidation and lack of common sense and basic understanding LOWERS the respect for you and overworked employees desire to go above and beyond for you.

Great Temporary Job

Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist  in  La Jolla, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Pet Care Specialist in La Jolla, CA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

Pros

Working with animals, helping pet parents learn about their pet and seeing them grow, educating yourself on pet product.

Cons

Random hours, each store has it's own way of doing things even though corporate sets the standards, working with the public in general can be difficult because people are rude and don't listen even when they ask for your help, management will call you last second and insist you come in when some has called out or 'no-showed' and if you say no then you get a guilt trip.

Try to maintain a steady schedule for every employee. Don't pressure someone who isn't scheduled to come in to cover for someone who has no-showed or called out. Try to listen to your teams complaints! We need our voice heard!

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!