PetSmart

PetSmart Reviews

Updated Apr 23, 2014

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt

David K. Lenhardt

Pros:
  • "Its fun to work with animals all day Helping out with the adoptions is very fun"
    in 59 reviews
  • "Excellent medical benefits for full time staff"
    in 26 reviews
Cons:
  • "They don't seem to care that you have an over full time college schedule or any other life"
    in 37 reviews
  • "I think three interviews is a little much for a pet care associates"
    in 29 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

A fast-paced environment made fun by the coworkers and customers alike.

Cashier/Stock (Current Employee)
Marysville, WA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsSome of the best reasons that I've noticed for working here are the experience with animals, the people, and the overall environment. There are some small rewards, but I consider the best to be surrounded by animals.

ConsSome of the challenges may come from the customers or the struggles in keeping so many animals healthy. Some customers are so passionate that they may get nasty when you don't immediately understand their situation intimately. Health concerns with the pets are typically handled by managers, but some associates may need to have a helping hand in getting the little critters healthy again.

Advice to Senior ManagementThings, in the time I have been there, have been a bit chaotic. The store manager changed and another manager stepped down from his position, causing a shift in pecking order a bit. Because of all of the moving around, I've been with the company for near a year, but haven't had my 6 month review or year review quite yet. Granted, I understand they have all been busy, so I'm not going to rush things.

Lovely

Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee)
Sand City, CA (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay was decent for an entry-level position, the management worked with me for good hours and showed appreciation for me. Most customers were happy to be there and enjoyed sharing stories about their pets. Earned vacation time as a part time employee!

ConsSome of the lower-level managers didn't care at all and were not well trained and would sit in the office avoiding customers or calls for assistance.

Advice to Senior ManagementOffer employees a way to anonymously submit reviews of their peers, managers and coworkers.

Good Place to Start Off

Lead Pet Care Specialist (Former Employee)
Mount Pleasant, MI (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsIt appears they really care about their employees. Nice perks you can sign up for even if you are only part-time. Good raises to start off with for the 1st year. A lot of training videos that basically sum up everything you already know, but it is nice as a refresher on some things. A great chance to grow within the company. Management tends to be very helpful and realize that we're human and mistakes do happen so you aren't always afraid to be fired.

ConsThe rules can occasionally protect employees that shouldn't be there as long as they are. The training videos can be a hassle at times. Sometimes it seems like they change policies only to go back to how it was after a couple weeks/months.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey do a pretty good job of trying to get reviews and advice from the employees. Keep it up.

Surprisingly pleasant!

Cashier (Current Employee)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsAccomodating in scheduling, pleasant atmoshpere, terrific co-workers, great customers most of the time, fun pets, room for advancement, discounts in store including grooming and Banfield, pay can be better than minimum wage.

ConsWork some weekends, night and holidays but are still able to schedule things to accomodate personal schedule. Long hours on your feet. Full time positions are hard to come by.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay attention to the what each employee brings to the table. Don't leave a talented associate in a part time position because you can't see their potential. It is always better to promote from within. It builds loyalty and consistancy within the stores.

Everything is looking great so far!

Pet Care Associate (Current Employee)
Sewell, NJ (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for less than a year

ProsI am excited about the perks: one free training course for your pet, employee discount, weekly pay, etc. Outlook is great. Was told I would be able to contribute creatively to the group.

ConsI haven't been working long enough to determine any serious cons. I will update when I find out any!

I've enjoyed my time here, but also ready to move on.

Sales Associate/Bather (Current Employee)
DeKalb, IL (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsGreat environment with the other employees, team atmosphere for the most part. Enjoy the ability to work multiple positions through out the store. They were very flexible with my schedule through schooling.

ConsMiddle management is usually very swamped with daily tasks/problems and sometimes fail to communicate pointers to associates to get ahead of those problems.

Great Company

I have been working at PetSmart

ProsThe customers are awesome and make the job fun!

ConsNo cons that I can think of!

average

Support Manager (Current Employee)
Murrieta, CA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart full-time for more than 3 years

Prosgood environment overall, and can be fun

Conslots of work, low pay

Advice to Senior Managementpay more

Great place to work

Cashier (Former Employee)
Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than a year

ProsThe customers...they love their pets and they are all generally nice.

ConsCompensation....negotiate your salary...it sucks to find out people getting paid more than you for doing the same job

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to promote a work life balance

Pet Care Associate

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Plymouth, MN (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time for more than 3 years

ProsPetSmart was my first real job and I really enjoyed working here. It's a very fun environment with a lot of fun people. I felt they did a good job on teaching employees about the animals and products we were selling. I also felt there was a good opportunity to move up in the company.

ConsAt times we were very understaffed which became stressful. The pay is also relatively low. The management listens to you about things that could be improved, but never really makes the changes.

Worked for PetSmart? Contribute to the Community!

PetSmart Videos

PetSmart – Why Work for Us?

Company Information PetSmart, Inc. (NASDAQ: PETM) As the largest specialty pet retailer of services and solutions for the lifetime needs of pets, we employ approximately 52,000 associates and operate 1,278 stores and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PetSmart reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt. All 795 reviews are posted anonymously by PetSmart employees.