PetSmart Reviews

3.2
1,067 Reviews

PetSmart CEO David K. Lenhardt
David K. Lenhardt

Pros
  • Professional; working with animals is rewarding; decent pay; good team (in 85 reviews)

• I started out as a part-time dog trainer, but went to full time in a few months (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • They are eliminating many full-time positions to avoid paying vacations and healthcare (in 52 reviews)

• Think twice before signing up for this, or apply for cashier or pet care department (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Should and could be inspiring, but not

Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Instructional Designer in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pet parents and their pets really do come first. You can make a real difference to pets' and peoples' lives every day. There's a true commitment to giving back to the community on many levels and they're finally tooting their own horn about it. Great colleagues and good benefits. The senior team is great.

Cons

There are so many layers of management and each layer has to make its mark. Lots of micromanaging people. Little recognition for lots of effort. Seems to be getting worse. Hard to move from one area of the business to another.

Trim out a few layers of middle managers. Ensure middle managers walk the walk and talk the talk. Give individual contributors more responsibility and recognition.

I like the atmosphere of work place and people in that store, work is fun get to play with pets and share your experience with customers.

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

You get to work with animals, and the manager in the store won't push people to make sale, it's commission free.

Cons

You don't pay that much, if you are pet care you need to clean cages. However, it would be bad for someone left stuff from their shift and you have to clean while you were on duty.
    Also bad if you have allergy to fur, dust or other things in air.

Talk to the manager if you have any problem with job or people, they will happy to help you out but depends.

Good company who cares about you

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Queen Creek, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Queen Creek, AZ (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The employers seem like they actually care about you. They allow time off and a flexible schedule. They give good training and help you if you are struggling understanding something. They are patient and understanding with any issues you may have. You are able to interact with pets, which is always a pro.

Cons

They had bad hours, part time was about less than 20 hours a week. The pay was low as well. I would have stayed if I didn't like my other job better (airline employee).

PetsHotel: Fun people to work with but the job itself can get stressful

Current Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Canoga Park, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Canoga Park, CA (US)

I have been working at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Everyone is very fun to work with at PetSmart. They make it comfortable to talk to management and the dogs are always great to be around. They do offer a more competitive pay as opposed to Petco or other pet sores within the area.

Cons

Can be a very stressful job if you work as a supervisor within a very high volume PetsHotel. There isn't a set schedule so it's based off of a weekly basis and they do cut hours based on how many pets are there during the day and supervisors are in charge of making sure they don't go over hours. Another downfall is they can start you there as early as 5:00 AM or have you there closing till every dog is walked which can go till 10:30 PM or on holidays 11:00 PM.

Higher pay for seniors. The work is not worth the pay.

Awesome Staff, still large corporation

Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Senior Petshotel Associate in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great store managers, working with animals, opportunities to move around departments, customer service experience.

Cons

OK pay, head management has outrageous expectations, lack of hours or too many hours

Can't Beat the Culture

Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ (US)
    Former Employee - Intern in Phoenix, AZ (US)

I worked at PetSmart as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The culture is easy going, friendly, and there are dogs everywhere. They give you plenty of opportunities to grow your leadership skills and offer various trainings throughout the year. There is a lot of lateral movement within the company so you never feel stuck.

Cons

Reorganization is stressful and hurts morale, but it has to happen. It will get better!

If you love connecting with pet lovers and their pets, this is the place for you!

Current Employee - Petshotel Assistant Manager
    Current Employee - Petshotel Assistant Manager

I have been working at PetSmart full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

As Assistant Manager in the PetsHotel, I can honestly say that I look forward to going to work every day. How could I not love taking care of people's dogs and cats? Developing relationships with "regulars" who bring their dogs to daycamp a few times a week is rewarding. It is extremely gratifying when people trust you with the care of their beloved pets--especially when they've been coming to the PetsHotel/Doggie Daycamp for years. When they recommend your business to their friends, you really feel like you're doing something right.

If you work hard, don't cut corners, and always try to "do the right thing" for customers and their pets, you will be rewarded and supported by your managers. PetSmart's open door policy makes it easy to feel comfortable bringing any concerns you may have to management.

Additionally, PetSmart has a history of taking care of its employees with excellent benefit programs. Hopefully, this will continue, despite the recent Wall Street machinations of activist investor Jana Funds.

Cons

In management, it is preferred that you have open availability, and this means you don't enjoy a set weekly schedule. Because of this, planning ahead in other areas of your life can be difficult.

Also, recent pressure from activist investor Jana Funds to increase shareholder payout makes me concerned that our company (which has always treated its employees well and upheld a high level of integrity) may end up sacrificing the long term strength of this company (and the good of its employees)--for the sake of short term financial gain for shareholders. A "quick buck" for certain investors may cause the degradation of a steadily growing, reputable, debt-free company. I worry about how this will affect employees at store level.

If at all possible, don't sell out your ideals for the sake of a quick buck for activist shareholders. Maintain a view for the future.

LIT Program

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Bloomington, IN (US)
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Bloomington, IN (US)

I worked at PetSmart full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I was hired in through the Leader in Training (LIT) program as a recent undergraduate. Because of this program I received many opportunities I wouldn't have had if I were hired straight into the Ops position. The company truly believes in promoting superior customer service and pet well being, as well as valuing associates.
    Corporate HQ is attentive to store-level needs, the company is focused on safety, and HR is very responsive.

Cons

It's retail, so customers can sometimes be a challenge. Each store has different management teams, so there are widely varying work environments. I was under 2 different store managers and a lot of crap went down during and after the changeover that made being at work a living hell. Management makes or breaks how enjoyable the work environment is.
    Pay is surprising good for upper management (Presentation manager and above), but average retail pay for hourly associates.

Fun place to work, but really only a college job.

Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Orchard Park, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Pet Care Specialist in Orchard Park, NY (US)

I worked at PetSmart part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Working with animals
    Gaining customer experience
    Being able to gain customer service
    Flexible hours

Cons

Management issues at the store I was working
    No room for advancement
    Rarely pay more than minimum wage

Utilize associates for what they are good at. Too many people in petcare that could care less whether animals lived or died. Many stickers/cashiers that wanted to be in petcare and would have made the store much more productive, and much less pet loss.

Pretty friendly keeps you busy learn a lot...

I have been working at PetSmart

Pros

Work with a wide variety of people fellow employees and customers. Work with animals.

Cons

Don't train you to well in the grooming salon, change in management very often, and pay rates don't come easy...

Have the grooming salon have meetings of their own so they know what is going on n their own department.