Philip Morris International

Philip Morris International Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Philip Morris International Chief Executive Officer André Calantzopoulos

André Calantzopoulos

Pros
  • Good working environment, satisfying salary, and good overtime payment (in 10 reviews)

• Great career opportunities, if you work in the field (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Work-life balance is not a question - everything is one short term profit and very individualistic (in 15 reviews)

• Telling people you work in the tobacco industry is always a buzz kill (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Good place for getting experience with a big transnational company

Area Manager (Former Employee) Mexico, Distrito Federal (Mexico)

ProsGood salary and compensation packages. Career development paths not fully developed for all involved population

ConsOvertime working. Though projects are exciting, deadlines seem to be always upon everybody's shoulders, ..., maybe reflecting a poor planning in general.

Advice to Senior ManagementPoor work-life balance

No program in stored for internes

Intern (Current Employee) Makati City (Philippines)

ProsHigh pay!!! Got to know lots of people.

ConsBoring internship. Daily work is routinary.

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Internship Program. Give real concrete projects to interns

Perfect place to start your career

Human Resources Specialist (Current Employee) Kraków (Poland)

ProsPMI SSC is a great company to get your career started in a certain field. The environment is extremely international and the learning opportunities are various while team leaders are quite supportive. Good chances of promoting based on merit rather than other reasons.

ConsCertain positions are "off limits" unless you speak the local language.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider the fact that your subordinates' working styles, attitudes and knowledge are a reflection of your own.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with high focus on people

ProsFocus on people development
    Global mindset
    Great colleagues

ConsNot for people who don't enjoy fast pace challenges

Extraordinary career

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsExtremely dedicated employee population; unified culture despite being present in 100+ countries; hierarchical but still collegial; a lot of pride; senior management still accessible

ConsTobacco industry has its own ethical issues - no matter how well run; assessment and promotion processes strive for objectivity but have inherent biases

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more visible and "human"

You can get good experience here

Intern (Current Employee) Kharkiv (Ukraine)

ProsCompany is professionally set up. Working here, you can receive a detailed look on good organisational structure and well-designed processes within the company.

ConsCareer growth is slow, you have to develop step-by-step through many years of work with simple tasks. To grow you need to do lots of political interactions.

Supply Chain

Supply Chain (Current Employee) Neuchâtel (Switzerland)

ProsWell established organisational structure with instant access to support and expertise in all fields of the business. Systems and tools are great. Objective driven culture

ConsCigarette manufacturers (just like any other industry) needs to adapt operations to market conditions and despite market share gains for the big brands the overall volume trend remains negative. Will this change in the next years?

Large center of bureaucracy feeding on huge margins generated by captive, yet declining, tobacco markets.

Manager (Current Employee) Lausanne (Switzerland)

ProsPay is high and far off the market.

ConsHQ is a bureaucracy center manned by close to 2000 people. Most of the effort is put on internal politics and power struggles between the "Senators", a large group of overpaid Directors and VP's that fight to justify their jobs and organizational silos in order to keep their outrageous Ferraris, Porches, Jaguars and CHF 20k a month Lac Geneva mansions. Every 5 years, management comes up with a restructuring plan and layoffs at Lausanne's Center as a means of justifying productivity initiatives to the, so far, happy shareholders.

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the next round of layoffs experiment reducing HQ's organization's size, complexity and internal bureaucracy by cutting 50% of the obscenely paid VP's and Directors. Foster a culture of sobriety and frugality at HQ. The company car fleet level is not reminiscent of Swiss sobriety but of third-word kleptocracy.

Philip Morris

Sales Planning Supervisor (Current Employee) Bogotá, Bogota (Colombia)

ProsGood work environment, good salaries. Lots of opportunities to move around in the company.

ConsIts tobacco and it can be a tough industry.

Business familiarity, sales, marketing, trends, and lots of learning. Opportunity to develop yourself.

Sales Data Analyst (Current Employee) Makati City (Philippines)

ProsComposed of diverse cultures and work ethics, making it a powerhouse company.

ConsPeople tend to work in silos.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to break the silos in order for all departments to be familiar with each other.

Worked for Philip Morris International? Contribute to the Community!