Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 27 August 2014

3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Lifetime career

Current Employee - Store Manager
    Current Employee - Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

-Organization is open to feedback and ideas from all levels, and impliments changes quickly
    -Caring and personal work place, from store level to home office, to distribution centers and overseas vendors
    -Always room for professional skill growth, lots of peers with tenure to get advise from, open communiction with RM and DM. Honest, open, no fears of repercussions. No horse and pony shows.
    -Pay is average, depends on your role and location. QTD bonuses for SM, and monthly bonuses for SLTeam and sometimes associates too.
    -Always making sound financial decisions, cash in the bank, invests heavily in tech/online, securing our ability to compete in everchanging retail landscape

Cons

-Difficult to get a store, as most managers are lifers with 10-25 years experience. You may have to move to get one!
    -Time off is hard to schedule, as tasking is heavy during natural times people take vacations. Also management teams are only 4 or 5 people and we often have conflicts.
    -Pier 1 OWNS your Sundays, transitions, meetings, events, markdowns. It is both a hight sales day and a heavy task day, so kiss it goodbye.
    -Heavy turn with part time sales leader postions, and only a few stores(high volume) qualify for getting a full time position in their stores. This is such a critical role in each store, we all need 1 full time sales leader.The time we spend sourcing and training replacements is a total waste, and can kill the internal/external customer experience.
    -Ignore the harping on selling the P1RCard. These customers with our credit card are critical to our future, we are sales people after all, and the charge is something we should want to share with customers. Getting points, reward certificates, coupons and often saving money is part of any natural selling conversation.

-Consider having FULL time sales leads in every store, its a win win.
    -continue to work out the kinks with allocations, ecomm and availability of merch for customers, you may not realise how many managers drive from store to store, picking up items to complete sales for customers(on our personal time)
    -continue to help us get the POS more efficient, the constant delay's, issues with having to do off line returns, and merchandise card exchanges takes forever, and makes us at the store look incompetent. There is a LONG way to go with these registers until they are smooth sailing.
    -thank you for giving us more payroll for freight processing and training, however there is still a disparity in payroll for events and freight.
    -the new survey reporting is terrible, we need to take a masters class in order to decifer it and roll it down to associates. The old company's reporting was incredible, and we incorporated it in with our daily focus. Go back !!!!

Fun Job, Nice Coworkers

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

I enjoyed interacting with customers and seeing all the merchandise. The people I worked with were all fun and helpful too.

Cons

I think they push the credit card way too much and approaching customers multiple times while they're in the store. I think employees can be the judge of whether a customer would like assistance or not after one or two interactions.

Give incentives for selling the credit card.

Holiday Help for extra income.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help  in  Millbury, MA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate - Holiday Help in Millbury, MA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun atmosphere. One of the better retail experiences I had. Enjoyed the type of clientele it draws.

Cons

Daily struggle not to knock over displays. Some areas of the sales floor were just a danger zone of glassware and then a manger will tell you to set up a ladder and hang signage.
    Scheduling was hard if you have another job at the same time. They would schedule "on call" hours that you couldn't say no to if they needed you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Loved working there

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Chico, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Chico, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

great staff and mangers

Cons

hours aren't so good

Friendly, exciting place to work.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  New Orleans, LA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New Orleans, LA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexible schedule, great training, friendly employees, clean environment to work in and safe also. Caring and competent management, great store wide meeting

Cons

Weekends and holidays, long hours on the weekends during transition and holidays, heavy lifting and very physical at times, sometimes dusty and very fragrant

Fun exPIERence

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Tempe, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Tempe, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Fun environment to work in especially if you enjoy home décor.

Cons

The company does not like to schedule workers for longer then 4 hours a day, this job is great if you need extra cash but it is not going to cover all of your living expenses.

Fun place to work!

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Customers are generally happy because it is a place to shop for the non necessities. That makes it fun.
    Shifts are excellent for those who want part time work. Generally 4 hour shifts.

Cons

Low minimum wage compensation for part time retail associates.

Only difficult part of working in the stores is the slow computer network. The system seems to be so overloaded that searching for product for customers is a long wait. And the attention to pushing the Pier 1 credit card degrades our store to the level of a Fred Meyer and Target.

Upper management could have been better

Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Okemos, MI (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Okemos, MI (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

The people, the wages, truck day, the new products every couple months

Cons

The hours, Christmas stuff so early

Pier 1 Imports has taught me so much in so little time.

Current Employee - Sales Lead  in  San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Starting a little over minimum wage for sales associates, chance to move forward in the company. Great customer service is a must. Upper management maintains some communication with stores individually. 25% discount.

Cons

Hours depend on performance the week before.

Enforce every store has monthly store meetings. Perhaps include some more sales training for new employees to be more comfortable.

I LOVE this job!

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Little Rock, AR (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Little Rock, AR (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

This company treats you like family. We have fun & work hard. We get to interact & get to know our customers. I have had no problem getting time off when needed. We're always having new merchandise & new sales to interest people. There's always room for advancement. For instance, our Asst. Mgr. recently got her own store. One person moved up which left an open position which is being filled this week. That also left an open position which is soon to be filled.

Cons

Pay is probably the only drawback I have had, but the discount helps makes up for it.

Pay is important if you expect more than just a warm body. Most people have a "real" job that's paying the bills therefore it's extra money, but you still want to feel like it's worth your while coming to work. Gas 7 other bills go up but not so much with our pay. I suppose the best advice I can give is to always make your employees feel important. No-one wants to be treated like a child. Give people credit for the knowledge they have.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!