Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 23 October 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 110 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 43 reviews)

More Highlights

A pretty good company to work for if you're going to school.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Very accepting of its peoples goals, and understanding of peoples differences.

Cons

You're trained on the job. So sink or swim.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Cool product and discount there is not really too much else to say. But I have to put a 20 word minimum. Do not work here unless you want to do a lot of manual labor

Cons

Low pay, lots of lifting, upper management thinks it's so easy and does not understand time lines to execute. Promos Change almost daily, or weekly hard to keep up. Always short staffed.

Pay better! Hire a backroom manger. Stop telling your managers it's so easy if you just plan, you can plan all day long and it won't help because the workload out weighs the people avail to do it

Great Product Sabotaged by Poor Management Practices and Culture

Current Employee - Sales Lead - MOD in Raleigh, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Lead - MOD in Raleigh, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Customers are usually wonderful and appreciate efforts to assist them, or when sharing new ideas and items. Awesome fragrances and very pretty use of color and displays to provide inspiration. Great new furniture products being introduced.

Cons

Disingenuous management. They will imply promotional opportunities exist as a "carrot" to avoid hiring necessary staff and to get more work out of an employee beyond their job description. Will also mess with scheduling (cutting hours to 10-15/wk for a month or more without notice or explanation) if they've been "working you too many hours" and so would have to pay for benefits. Supervisors also improperly force employees to clock out for breaks even though you are not allowed to leave if overlapping management coverage hasn't been scheduled. Supervisors threaten that to not clock out would result in being written up on an action plan. Regional managers have also had store level management falsify employee files in order to (retro actively) manufacture a "repeat" offense. In this area, there is also a well known "personal favorites" clique that, if you're not a part of, would forever keep you as an outsider, or worse, on the "To-Go" list, simply because the regional manager doesn't like your look or your personality doesn't click with hers (read, bend over and kiss her feet).

Also, the Part-Time employment model Pier 1 practices (to avoid paying benefits) which covers nearly ALL store employees, combined with extremely low Associate pay (~8-8.50/hr), fosters high turnover and inadequate employee coverage for basic tasks needed for the functioning of the store and stockroom. This always makes it impossible to meet sales figures, KPIs, etc. on a consistent basis.

Corporate management should guarantee a safe environment to share insights from the store level, while circumventing the regional management teams, in order to learn what is and isn't going on properly at their stores - particularly for repeat underperformers.

Awful experience

Former Employee - Contortionist! in Tampa, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Contortionist! in Tampa, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Absolutely no "pros" for a part time Pier 1 employee.

Cons

The leaders and shareholders of this organization are taking absolute advantage of part-time employees by only paying $8.00 an hour to do ridiculous amounts of work and push their credit card that essentially rapes people through the interest they'll have to pay to buy all the garbage this outfit sells. I lasted a week (maybe) but realized after my first day on the floor that this was nothing more than a hell hole of a place to work. This company should be ashamed of itself. Now I realize why people are screaming to increase minimum wage! I've never worked for such an awful company before.

Reward your part timers - those are the people who bust their butts to generate undeserved revenue for Pier 1!

an in the meantime job

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

-Great team to work with, fellow coworkers are pretty encouraging and great to be around.
    -managers are great and pretty easy to work with. There is definitely a sense of community and support.

Cons

-not great pay and lousy raises. One of the highest increases received was 20 cents.
    -it's retail, customers always feel more entitled and condescending
    -25% discount, which isn't bad, but considering our cheapest product is wine glasses or mugs, it doesn't exactly inspire investment back in.

fun environment. Good place to learn.

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Love working with the other employees, love the customers. Product is good.

Cons

Pay is low. Expected to do a lot of physical work.

Compensation is poor. Incentive system is poor.

Store Policy's are Ridiculous

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The environment is nice and the people are friendly. Sales goals when met get you bonus's

Cons

The store policy saying nothing is allowed on you on the sales floor is ridiculous. You have to buy locks for your "own" locker to put your belongings in. I did not feel I needed to buy a locker when all I have on me was my phone keys and wallet. It was an argument stating if I couldn't follow policy about leaving it in the back than don't show back up for work. I have done nothing but be a team player and drive this company up with in store surveys and meeting sales goals. It's a shame the policies are a little too much and they seems to pick more on the younger crowd versus the older employees.

Be fair to ALL employees and not just pick and choose.

Very pushy environment

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

25% off discount.
    fun seeing all the new merchandise come in

Cons

Flexes!!!! If you have a flex shift it means you have to call two hours before your shift to see if they need you in or not. its a huge waste of time and i have flexes every day. either my first half or second half of my shifts are flexes.

this job is terrible at working around schedules. I can't work a hour after store is closed for safety reasons but they schedule me for transitions that mean I don't leave until 1am and I have no way home so I have to walk or call a cab. I explained to my manager and put in teamworks my availability which is pretty flexable because I can work seven days a week open to close but they still choose to disregard my safety and take advantage of me and force me to work at times in unable and leave me stranded.

they want you to harass customers. We have to greet every customer that comes in the store and ask them what brings them in (which customers usually say they are browsing and give you a look like go away) than you have to touch back in with them to push sales and the card than when you ring them out push the card and the survey. Its just too pushy

I climb matters everyday. The store is so crowded with merchandise they stack things ontop of each other and the store looks clustered. Unorganized I can't find merchandise. IMAX will say we have two items and I just can't locate them so the disorganization is causing loss of sales. When I climb latters to get chairs up on the diameter of the store I don't feel safe and I'm forced to lift chairs on latters regardless of my fears of safety.

turnover rate is high. Employees dont stick.

pay is bad. Not worth all the harassing, waste of time flexes I have to stop my life for and never get called in, risks of injury and they will fight you on workmans comp. But expect you to climb like a monkey and move heavy furniture. No safety belts or anything

Our safety should come first. it obviously doesnt at all whatsoever! I agree on pushing the card but theres a fine line between pushing and harassing! And dont expect to pay close to minimum wage with 12 hours a week and get $26 a hour fulltime work! Care about the people who have influence on your customers!

Horrible experience

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

The discount, friendly co-workers, great view of the ocean.

Cons

Very limited hours if i was lucky I maybe got one four hour shift a week and that was it. Also they make their part time associates clean bathrooms and facilities. The managers never do any of that except treat you like you are less of a person for being a sales associate. They don't tell you when hiring new employees that you are responsible for cleaning to. Do not work here they seem to be going out of business and have a crappy business model as well.

When you tell the new hire that they will be getting at least 20 hours a week stick to it please. Also you need to go over what exactly is in the employees responsibility when hiring a new employee. Also please treat the employees a lot better than just expendable labor. The managers are so damn lazy.

Good people and lots of potential for the company

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

awesome vacation, work/life balance, flexible work hours; trusting leadership, for the most part

Cons

Low pay, long commute, work in silos; old fashioned thinking; the organization is its own worst enemy. The company functions like a start up (no real office supplies, old computers, etc).

Invest in your people (including current, not just new) and technology. Without investment, it's tough to grow and evolve with the times.