Pier 1 Imports

Updated 23 November 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 61 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 111 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

I loved working there would still work there if I hadn't moved!

Former Employee - Manager/Sales Lead in Bellevue, WA (US)
    Former Employee - Manager/Sales Lead in Bellevue, WA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Management always treated everyone fairly and were always very understanding if anyone needed to switch shifts or have any problems. The company is very customer focused and make all the employees feel comfortable if they have any suggestions.

Cons

The only con is they really push you to get customers to open up credit cards and a lot of customers don't want to talk to someone about opening a credit card.

Sales Associate

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Dallas, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, good products, workable holiday hours

Cons

personal growth can be hard at times

I thought it would be a fun place to work as I had a lot of Pier One accessories in my home.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, 25% off starting on your first day of work. Interesting and fun items to sell. Customers like coming in to the stores as you never know what you will find.

Cons

Very high turnover of employees, at least at the store I work at. Lots that you have to learn on the pos system. POS uses a touch screen which is slow and unresponsive some times. A keyboard would be much faster. They don't explain the hours you will be asked to work, some mornings starting a 5AM, nights that go past midnight. VERY physical work,
    lifting heavy items, going up and down on tall ladders, cleaning of store, stock and freight work, you do it all. Lots of glassware everywhere on very old fixtures, and stacked on high shelves. I find this kind of dangerous and always worry about bumping into certain units as some are not level. Schedules are done at the last minute with some days being a ? or what P1 calls a flex day. Too much customer info wanted at POS which slows down the process and some customers are very annoyed by it. They harp on you about getting P1 credit cards all day long.

Managements idea of incentive for employees is sending cookies or candy. or giving us a little kids sticker on a bulletin board with our name on it. It's as if they think we are five year olds. I would clean up the odd mix of merchandise that is still in the P1 inventory, finger puppets and yo yos, junk like that really looks tacky in a store that is wanting to sell sofas that are in the $800.00 range. I am glad to see that P1 is starting to offer a more contemporary look in the furniture styles and less of the fancy old parlor look. I think pricing of a lot of our items is high compared to our competition ( Ikea, Wayfair). Even with my discount I can ususally find a similar item at a lower cost.

Worst Job Ever

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great co-workers. The people, including my manager, were wonderful. Everyone worked really hard despite the fact we all rolled our eyes about the fact we were even working there! Everyone knew they were over worked and under paid.

Cons

I really liked my co-workers at Pier One Imports. Beyond that it has to be one of the worst jobs I've ever had. There are so many skus in the store that sales associates are constantly working as stock boys. I always felt pulled between getting the never ending boxes of merchandise unpacked, and relating to customers. Pier one provides a lot of training for a retail store, but there is no commission for those sales. I felt so much pressure to get people to sign up for their credit card, or to buy one more overly fragrant candle. But at the same time I was still getting my crappy $9.00/hour! One day as I was straightening up the pillow wall for the millionth time, a shelf fell on my nose. I was ok, but I realized I was working way too hard for such a low wage.

Pay your employees more. Offer commission.

Sales lead

Current Employee - Sales Lead
    Current Employee - Sales Lead

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with and they can make the day go by a lot faster. 25 % discount if you like shopping at Pier 1.

Cons

hours vary week to week, depending on what they need. Sometimes its 30 hours a week other times 12 hours. Pay is terrible. The store manager would do our annual employee reviews without even discussing it with us, when we asked him about our reviews he said was working on it.

sales lead

Former Employee - Sales Leader in Daphne, AL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Daphne, AL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great team, flexible hours when fully staffed.

Cons

-It's hard to keep the store fully staffed when the company pays so low and offers so few hours to associates and sales leads.
    - you are expected to do a lot a work for little pay
    - the work is very accident prone and very physical. If you aren't strong or willing to work your butt off, forget it.

My store managers were wonderful and very caring, so no advice needed here.

Non sense

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Salary
    Some people
    A good step for your next job
    Expensive benefits
    Learning experience of what not to do

Cons

60 per week
    Managers
    Safety
    No logic
    They loose a Supervisor every 3 months

Take care of your supervisors

Overnight Stock Coordinator

Current Employee - Overnight Stock Coordinator in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Overnight Stock Coordinator in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

It is interesting if you are creative. If you like to arrange furniture and design displays that will be appealing to the consumer. If you are working in the New York City Area you are compensated weekly instead of Bi-Weekly.

Cons

Compensation is no competitive and under satisfactory for the amount of work and commitment required. Leadership is reactive instead of pro-active. You will consistently be understaffed and over worked. There isn't any effective training to elevate the efficiency and productivity of the team as well as your role. The office culture is very catty and competitive. There are constant violations of H.R confidentiality agreement. If you don't mind it being shared then do tell all. Mediocre Benefit package.

Listen to your employees. Appreciate them and raise morale.

Very little room for advancement

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

My coworkers were generally very friendly and helpful. Management was really nice and they are very good about working around your schedule.

Cons

This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week. This might be an ideal situation for someone that's semi-retired looking to get out of the house, or a college/high school student, or if you're just looking for a second job.Every sales associate is considered a "limited employee", meaning they are all part time and not one of them can work more than 20 hrs a week. You'll be lucky to work 10 hrs a week, because they hire such a large amount of sales associates and keep them all working just a couple days per week. The only way to get more hours is to be promoted to a management position, and that's very unlikely to happen considering there are a lot of sales associates that have been there for years, trying to move up in the company. And if you DO move up, you'll hardly get a raise and you'll work maybe, 30 hrs a week (not even full time). They push the Pier 1 card way too hard on customers, and train the employees to badger the customers and follow them around the store trying to get them to buy something. They push employees way too hard to make sales. The sales goals are completely unrealistic.

Quality not quantity..hire less sales associates and give them more hours, better pay and benefits. Set REALISTIC sales goals and don't push your associates to annoy customers into buying something or signing up for the pier 1 card. Most shoppers do not like to be pestered into buying or signing up for something

Friendly and unorganized

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Best people I've ever worked with, family culture. Lots of training for the job and managers that really care about what they do. 25% discount.

Cons

No respect for schedules. Required late night projects and early morning meetings not specified in the hiring process outside of normal business hours. Low wages for what is required/expected of you. No commission for sales.

Give the option for no "flex" shifts.
    Higher starting wage.
    Give commissions for rewards card sales.