Pier 1 Imports

Updated 17 December 2014
3.1

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

Nothing good to say at all

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Mateo, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in San Mateo, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Not a god damm thing

Cons

Everything! Worst experience ever! Run for the hills!

Practice what you preach. Respect your employees, and you might retain some people

horrible environment

Former Employee - Material Handler in Pooler, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Pooler, GA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

1 hr break good kitchen good patio

Cons

word is the managers and supervisors spread gossip in their meetings, even going as far as making fun of employees because of shortcomings . hr manager unprofessional, bad attitude does not care.. director very condescending. very very condescending, been pulled to a supervisor office because i did not agree on how a process was.handled, put on written for it

you have to stop gossiping about your employees, seriously,they hear everything, if they don't someone else from 'your' team tells people the going ons. observing supervisor turnover is high, because they are not respected by upper management

Customer Relations

Current Employee - Customer Relations
    Current Employee - Customer Relations

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Employee discount is by far the best. 25% off of everything. It is also nice you get 3 weeks vacation from day 1 (going to need it working for Customer relations).

Cons

It is worse then being in high school. The management and supervisor have nothing better to do the make comments about how you look, act, talk. To the point that it is bullying. I have over heard one supervisor make an ugly comment about an employee to another in front of that person. I would tell you go to HR but doing that nothing would come of it. Lots of employees both current and past have gone to HR and nothing has changed. They like to say we are 1 Pier 1. However, they don't pratice what they preach. Give holidays off. If the store is closed customer relations should be closed. No one wants to work Easter, thanksgiving, and Christmas.

You left high school, it is time to grow up. People deserve respect. If store is closed everyone should be off. Including customer relations. We have families and would like to spend the holidays with them.

I thought it would be a fun place to work as I had a lot of Pier One accessories in my home.

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good discount, 25% off starting on your first day of work. Interesting and fun items to sell. Customers like coming in to the stores as you never know what you will find.

Cons

Very high turnover of employees, at least at the store I work at. Lots that you have to learn on the pos system. POS uses a touch screen which is slow and unresponsive some times. A keyboard would be much faster. They don't explain the hours you will be asked to work, some mornings starting a 5AM, nights that go past midnight. VERY physical work,
    lifting heavy items, going up and down on tall ladders, cleaning of store, stock and freight work, you do it all. Lots of glassware everywhere on very old fixtures, and stacked on high shelves. I find this kind of dangerous and always worry about bumping into certain units as some are not level. Schedules are done at the last minute with some days being a ? or what P1 calls a flex day. Too much customer info wanted at POS which slows down the process and some customers are very annoyed by it. They harp on you about getting P1 credit cards all day long.

Managements idea of incentive for employees is sending cookies or candy. or giving us a little kids sticker on a bulletin board with our name on it. It's as if they think we are five year olds. I would clean up the odd mix of merchandise that is still in the P1 inventory, finger puppets and yo yos, junk like that really looks tacky in a store that is wanting to sell sofas that are in the $800.00 range. I am glad to see that P1 is starting to offer a more contemporary look in the furniture styles and less of the fancy old parlor look. I think pricing of a lot of our items is high compared to our competition ( Ikea, Wayfair). Even with my discount I can ususally find a similar item at a lower cost.

Could be so much better.

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers are very nice, products are fantastic. 25% employee discount, and great customers.

Cons

Way too stressful. I don't know what has happened to retail to turn it into such a stressful job. The constant coaching and stress of opening instant credits was overwhelming. You really couldn't give the best customer service because you'd be so stressed about pitching the credit card, even when the customer would decline, you still had to mention more benefits, and a lot of customers were put-off by the constant harassment. Then there is "conversion". You get in trouble for not converting at least 35% of the people who walk into the store into sales. Never mind that people walk in and out to use the restroom, ask for directions, or let their kids run in and out of the store making it impossible to accomplish a 35% conversion on a regular basis. You could have a $1,000 furniture sale, but not want to help the customer out the door with their purchase because it would wreck your conversion. It truly is insane. Also, the weekly shipments that they expect you to unload, build furniture, and display it super quickly all while not "tasking" when customers are in the store. And lastly, the surveys. You can't be a genuine sales person when you have a list of statements you have to make to customers to ensure you don't get marked down for not saying...and it's a long one. So everyone sounds robotic saying the same things over and over. It's a shame, because Pier1 could be a fabulous place to work if they threw out all of the constant stressful tracking, and just let their employees shine and make real connections with their customers simply by being real themselves.

Throw out the constant tracking, time-wasting conference calls and focus more on product knowledge.

Sales Associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Nice environment (smells nice, relatively clean, fun products)
    -Flexible schedule (you put it your own availability online and manager never had an issue with me when I asked for days off)
    -Friendly customers
    -Mostly friendly coworkers, great general manager
    -Employee appreciation week

Cons

-One assistant manager who wanted to make my life miserable (I got along with all other assistant managers, so it must have been a personality clash with this particular one)
    -Shifts go way beyond when the store is actually open (lots of shifts late into the night or very early in the morning to rearrange merchandise in the store for what seemed like no reason at all)
    -Pushing for the Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card can get old after a while

Decent job if you don't need the money

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holly Springs, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Holly Springs, NC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Working at Pier 1 allows you to be creative and become inspired for your own home decorating. And with a 25% discount on all items it is very easy to do! The hours are very flexible - you can leave for months at a time and still have a job when you get back. I've heard other stores have catty and mean customers and workers, but at least at the one I worked at everyone was nice and we were like a family! Many of our customers were regulars and so sweet!

Cons

The pay is absolute crap for the amount of work you are asked to do and the pressure you are put under to sell their stupid in-store credit cards. Also don't ever expect to be scheduled more than 20 hours (during the busiest season) and 16 during the rest of the year. And expect to have to be there very, very early or stay very, very late to do transitions. The higher ups have ridiculous expectations for how long it should take us to transition the entire store.

If you want to keep your good employees, pay them a lot more. I'm a very motivated individual who loves to be constantly busy and even I find it difficult to motivate myself to sell the credit cards when I know I'm only making about $100 a week. Also give us more time to transition.

Fun a little frustrating

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in West Hartford, CT (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere, ok discount, nice customers, little commitment.

Cons

Flex shifts ( on call) are frustrating

Nice people to work with but company is cheap.

Former Employee - Sales Lead in Flemington, NJ (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Lead in Flemington, NJ (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than an year)

Pros

Store discount, good co-workers, beautiful products

Cons

Little to no pay raises, not valued or rewarded by district managers, late nights, too many major store moves

It would be great if you recognized a dedicated, effective associate and then recommended them for a promotion somewhere within the company. Also, an assitant manager and sales lead there should be able to get enough hours and a high enough pay to make a living.

If I Wanted to Work in a Warehouse ...

Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Being surrounded by beautiful items was nice. Seeing new things before anyone else if you're a shopper there, too, was fun. Staff was very friendly.

Cons

I was hired as a sales associate and expected hard work as the company sells larger items and there is always stocking and displays to work on. What I didn't count on was being a warehouse worker. I worked a late night, dealing with super highly stacked pallets, taking them apart and lifting heavy boxes from about 8 feet up, was told to find my own merchandise from the pallets (naturally, my boxes were at the bottom of a fully stacked pallet full of ceramic dishes and other very heavy items) even though I had only just started working there and had no clue what I was even looking for, and trying to maneuver around hundreds of boxes, pallets, trash, people in a small back stock room. Oh, and cutting down huge boxes and dragging them to the dumpster out back. Needless to say, I quit after that shift without ever having a normal sales shift given to me. If I wanted to work in a warehouse, I would have applied at one and not at a retail store as a sales associate.

Don't just tell interviewees that it is hard work. Be VERY specific. It would be nice to make an informed decision to work there. And maybe don't give employees freight shifts their very first week there. It scares people off. Or perhaps hire staff specifically for freight shifts only.