Pier 1 Imports

Updated 30 January 2015
Updated 30 January 2015

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 65 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Having to push the Pier 1 credit card on everyone that walks in the door (in 117 reviews)

• This job is only good if you're looking to work part time, a couple of days per week (in 44 reviews)

More Highlights

No accountability.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Evansville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Evansville, IN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

This is a fun place to work in general. It smells nice, I get to look at pretty things all day, and help people design different aspects of their houses (centerpieces, furniture, etc.).

Cons

I don't know if it is like this at every Pier 1, but the employees (including the sale leaders) are constantly late and not reprimanded for it. It makes for an irritating day when I have to stay extra because someone else was late.

There is little to no motivation for the employees to sell Pier 1 Rewards Credit Cards. Occasionally, the company will do something with prizes every time you sign someone up, but the prizes are lame and include non-prizes like "selling tips." I just feel like there is no reason for me to meet my goal everyday except to better the company. While it is a good thing to better the company as a whole, I still think we as employees should be rewarded for our hard work.

Great place to work and grow

Former Employee - Sales Leader in New Hartford, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in New Hartford, NY (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Flexible schedule, decent time off for entry-level position, nice employee discount, company is great with training and developing team members

Cons

paid very little for the amount of work that is required, never consistent hours

Don't string along your employees with promises.

Good company

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Flexible, good pay, good people

Cons

No best practice to follow

Good discount, bad management.

Current Employee - Associate in Santa Ana, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Associate in Santa Ana, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Employee discount and some nice associates.

Cons

Management is extremely under qualified for their positions. Management can often be seen gossiping about associates on the sales floor. Your job gets threatened every time you dont convince someone to open up a credit card. In the short time I worked there about 4 people quit and I know of two more who put in their 2 weeks. The company and management do not care about your wellbeing and job satisfaction. They also fail to recognize high turnover rates. If you do manage to trick someone into opening a credit card, management won't commend you, instead, they'll list off other things you should've done that day on top of it (like getting e mails from customers). Just please, do not work here. If you like this store, stay a customer, this job will destroy your happiness and self confidence.

Authoritarian ways of management are out the door and people dont respond well to it. Could use an update.

Great part time job with beautiful items to sell!

Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Saint Petersburg, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

P1 is a low key, part time job that often feels like you are just talking to friends who happen to be customers.

Cons

There are always a list of things that we are to include in our conversations with customers: first and foremost, the Pier 1 rewards credit card; during the holidays UNICEF cards; add-on sales and oh yeah, get their phone numbers, email addresses and full names at the register. It's alot to ask and the customers are reluctant.

Reward the Managers and Sales Leaders. They seem a bit beaten down. It is retail, after all.

Love working here there is a great team and an encouraging atmosphere.

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Francisco, CA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

It is now an evolving company that is interested in developing its employees.

Cons

Pay, "Flex shifts," intentionally rude customers.

New incentives to pitch the Pier 1 card with would make it more interesting for customers who have been waiting to apply.

Overall was a decent experience, especially as a first job.

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Petaluma, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Petaluma, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Genuinely enjoyed my co-workers, personally loved the product and enjoyed getting to know the ins and outs of the company.
    Learned a lot in regards to delivering good customer service and taking pride in the appearance of the store.

Cons

Well, it is retail, so having a constantly changing schedule made it challenging to make other plans at times.
    Had issues a couple of times with scheduling around school and/or a second job.

I would love to see management give extra hours to current employees instead of hiring more personnel. The employees you already have would appreciate it and it eliminates the need to train a new group of people only for them to be let go after the holidays. The current employees already have the knowledge needed for the busy seasons and will really step up their game when the demand for it is there.

Worst Company to work for!

Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Ankeny, IA (US)
    Former Employee - Assistant General Manager in Ankeny, IA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

nothing about this company is worker friendly

Cons

All aspects of the job are rediculous

train better, better vacation

Boring and Long

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Worth, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

1. 25% off associate discount on regular, sale, and clearance items
    2. Got payed higher than minimum wage.

Cons

1. Long 4-5 hour shifts without a break
    2. Flex days where you have to call in 2 hours before your shift to see if they need you. It's like being on call without getting paid.
    3. If the store is not busing you get sent home early; thus, cutting into your hours-and pay.
    4. They are very annal about how the store is set up. For example, tearing down and reorganizing the entire pillow wall (5 hour job) to make it look exactly like the picture in the planner. (Why bother when it's just going to get torn part and changed.) Only certain pillows and throws can site on the furniture, etc.
    5. Constant pressure to push the Pier 1 Rewards Credit Card. They are always nagging about it and you are expected to sell one per shift.
    6. Forced to get customers phone numbers, emails, and names at the register.
    7. Can only wear solid black or white tops.
    8. Be prepared for early morning 6 a.m. shifts and late night 12-1 am transition shifts. (These actually are better than working the sales floor because you actually have stuff to do.
    9. When the store is not busy and you aren't given a project you pointlessly walk around and straighten the store. It's extremely boring and the hours crawl by.

1. Stop pressuring associates to sell the P1RCC
    2. Give associates a 5-10 minutes break so that they can go to the back and grab a snack or some water. (Especially during a 5 hour shift.)
    3. Don't force associates to ask for email and phone numbers.
    4. Don't cut hours.
    5. Get ride of flex days or we should get paid because it ruins the whole day when you have to sit around and wonder if you need to go in.

It was okay, but wouldn't recommend unless you wanted to maybe work once in awhile

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

As everyone else says - Merchandise Discount. Was a nice new store, bright. Not like the old stores with dark red floors dark colors, drab!

Cons

Was hired by a "group" interview. That was interesting, never went through that before. Store manager didn't have a clue about any of the people she hired, that was why she got people that would maybe show up. Manager & Asst. Mangers were snobs and rude to the sales associates. Guess they thought they were better than any of use. They would schedule you to work, BUT you had to call in 1 hour before your scheduled time to work to find out if you were to come in. Absolute waste of time as you couldn't make plans as you didn't know if you were going to work or not. Needless to say, after a month, I was out of there. Would not recommend ever unless you want to maybe work.

Treat the sales associates like human beings, they are the ones that REALLY do the work. Stop being snobs as you aren't any better than any of them. Do one on one interviews you might learn more about a person that way. Stop interrupting the sales associates when they are talking to a customer. That is rude Let them do the job they were hired to do - sell. Upper management you should take heed as well.