Pier 1 Imports Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.3

Pier 1 Imports President, CEO, and Director Alex Smith
Alex Smith

Pros
  • The employee discount was the only thing good about the job (in 59 reviews)

• Most of the people are fun to work with, and extremely enthusiastic (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Pushing the Pier 1 credit card so hard can really drive you and the customers crazy (in 91 reviews)

• Management gives part-time employees 4 hour shifts( anything over 4 hour shifts requires a break) (in 31 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Place to Work !

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Merrillville, IN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Merrillville, IN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time

Pros

Here is a place where we are surrounded by beautiful merchandise. We are able to use our creative side to help people bring together the look they have envisioned for a room, a space, or an event. The sales and discounts we inform our guest about always puts a smile on their faces. It's a very satisfying feeling when we make that connection.

Cons

Took about three days for my feet to get use to the standing.

No advice. Just a comment: She makes herself always available to her team. She knows a great team is the reflection of a great Manager.

Depending on Management the exPIERience is great! Teams are like family and we work together. Very fun environment.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Eagan, MN (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Eagan, MN (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours, great time in the stock room opening new products, friendly staff, fun to help people make their spaces reflect their styles. Definitely a place to work hard and show your self you are able to do more than you thought. Ideas are always considered and potentially put into place. Management works within your limitations and coaches to help you succeed.

Cons

Very few opportunities to be a full time employee. Some employees do not contain adequate strength to manage heavy lifting to which a select few handle those duties. Supplies for the store a very expensive.

Perhaps the employees that have been with the company for a few to several years offer them an opportunity to be a full time sales associate.

One of the better retail jobs

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Cedar Hill, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Cedar Hill, TX (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Customers are middle aged women shopping for home goods. It's generally a pleasant atmosphere, and you don't deal with a lot of riffraff.

Cons

Depending on the location, it can be kind of boring at times. There's not a lot of traffic like other retailers, and you can only straighten candles for so long.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

sales lead

Current Employee - Sales Leader  in  Scottsdale, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Leader in Scottsdale, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

The management and people are great

Cons

pushing credit cards and long holiday hours.

none

Very relaxed, laid back job

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Kemah, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Kemah, TX (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

Relatively easy job once you get used to things. Decent pay. Nice people. Everyone is like family. Pretty good benefits. Flexible scheduling. They'll work with you if you have school/sports, etc.

Cons

Very few hours. Get used to getting sent home early because of payroll. They want you to get customers to open Pier One Credit Cards and require one per shift, but it's really not realistic.

Cut back on minimum amount of people hired for each store and give workers more hours.

Wonderful place to work

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Charleston, WV (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Charleston, WV (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Fun staff, great products, creative environment

Cons

pushing customers to apply for credit cards

Pier 1 needs to stop referring to their customers as "she" and "her", with gender roles changing so much, I think it would benefit the company to include all genders.

Fun Place, Mediocre Pay & Benefits

Former Employee - Sales Leader  in  Clearwater, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Leader in Clearwater, FL (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for more than a year

Pros

Loved the creativity and work environment here. There is plenty of opportunity to move up. Within a couple years you can be an assistant manager and within 5 years have your own store starting with no experience and learning in-house. Good discounts!

Cons

Until you get your own store, pay is not great. Even assistant managers make less than $30k a year. The benefits are okay, but there are much better insurance options out there. There is a LOT of pressure to get people to open credit cards with the company and employees can be disciplined for not meeting goals.

Create a process for entry-level employees so they can get on a clear path to working their way up through the company.

Enjoyable place to work

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager  in  Manhasset, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager in Manhasset, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great working environment. Flexibility and opportunity for growth are apparent at Pier 1. Management values associate feedback.

Cons

This is one of the top retail companies and hard work is appreciated by upper management.

As a seasonal sales associate I had a great time working with Pier One in visual merchandising.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate  in  West Bend, WI (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in West Bend, WI (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

My immediate supervisor and her supervisor were really friendly and easy to work with. I learned a lot about home decor and furniture- as this was my first time in a home store- in my time there. I feel I made big advancements in my sales approaches. Coming into work was like coming into a friend's home and I feel like customers felt that way every time as well. Great company values. The compensation was above average and the 25% discount was fantastic!

Cons

While pay was great, hours were lacking. It takes quite a while to move up in the company.

As a new hire, the work place seems promising.

Current Employee - Sales Associate  in  Mesa, AZ (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Mesa, AZ (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time for less than a year

Pros

The discount isn't bad and the coworkers seem friendly enough. Management seems like they have it together. Time will tell.

Cons

Not sure how I feel about pushing that PR1CC onto customers. But it's part of the job so I'll do it without sounding too pushy or desperate.

Look into current employees seeking more work hours. Share the work load.

Worked for Pier 1 Imports? Contribute to the Community!