Pier 1 Imports

www.pier1.com
Profile Unclaimed

Okay as holiday hire. Completely disagree for reason being laid off.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Newport Coast, CA (US)

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Pier 1 has items that most stores do not carry such as flavored candles as well as diffusers with the same flavor. Most of their products are unique and fun and customers are happy with the products. Customers were pleasant to work with and job duties were very fair. Coworkers were very friendly and fun to work with.

Cons

Employees are notified of their schedules for the next week, a very short notice system that caused numerous conflicts during the holidays.

The store chain is trying their best to push their credit cards (at a whopping 27% interest rate) and it was uncomfortable to push credit cards to every customer as the managers instruct us to do so. In fact corporate trains us to push the cards many times per customer. You would think once is enough once he/she says no.

Lastly, they have let me go ONLY because I haven't sold any credit cards. I have made some very large sales and made the store thousands of dollars during my time there and have done my shifts perfectly as instructed. This was completely uncalled for.

Stop making the store into a bank. Stores are supposed to sell PRODUCTS, not credit cards as their main focus. If stores are doing their best to promote credit cards over their products, then that store has a serious problem or they are desperate.
    The employees deserve better perks than a 25% in-store discount. Either offer commission or a higher discount, but this is just a cheap move by corporate.

nice co-workers, but lot's of crazy hours before and after the store is open

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports full-time (more than a year)

Pros

lots of ways you can "move up" in a store setting; great merchandise; great co-workers

Cons

crazy after-hours shifts; lots of corporate decision making that is hard to pull off at the store level; over emphasis on company credit card

Upbeat environment and never a dull moment.

Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

As a seasonal sales associate, I worked one of the busiest times of the year. It never felt hectic because management was very organized and would assist during a rush. The environment, management and staff were upbeat and goal oriented. Training was highly useful if appealing to customer wants.

Cons

I worked part-time while in school and sometimes management wasn't flexible with time off during heavier school loads.

Management should be more flexible with time-off for students, especially if asking off in advance and within proper time frame.

Fun People, Bad Growth, Bad Policies

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Fort Lauderdale, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (more than a year)

Pros

Its a fun place, and the employees are very nice people.

Cons

Management is tied to corporate rules. The door counts the number of people who come in and out. If your sales don't match the number of in coming people then your manager gets in trouble. Very stupid, because not every customer is in to buy, many browse.

They require 2 credit card openings every week. There's a checklist the manager carries around and they watch you interact with every customer. If you don't go through A-Z on the checklist in the exact way you;re supposed to you get in trouble. It feels like a telemarketer script. And you can tell the customer is annoyed at how many questions you're asking and how forceful you're being. I sold more and opened more credit cards just being a nice personable person than by following that script.

The stockroom is a mess and needs a better organization scheme. Don't just throw all lamps together in a corner, or all the art in a shelf. Takes forever to find what the customer wants.

Corporate needs to figure out that scripts and conversion numbers don't drive sales. Product knowledge and teaching sales people how to talk does. Paying them better would help motivate them too.

Also add Full-time back to the table. We get the economy was bad, but its time to give people hours they can actually live on.

is it worth it?

Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager
    Current Employee - Assistant Store Manager

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

The 25% discount. The associates I work with.

Cons

Low pay for the requirements of the job. Hours always getting cut often- even for me as a "full time" manager who was promised a minimum of 36 hours a week. I get an average of 28. The expectations of opening at least 1 credit card per shift is unrealistic. A lot of heavy lifting. Definitely more than their 50 pound requirement. Low communication from my manager. We're expected to "figure it out". The work/life balance is horrible. I rarely get time off when requested for the special days when my children have events for school or sports. I'm given days off based around when my manager wants her time off instead.

Train your managers. Pushing the numbers doesn't teach them how to manage others- it teaches them how to get results by cut throat infection everyone else.

Good company

Former Employee - Material Handler
    Former Employee - Material Handler

I worked at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

culture, company values, compensation, employees come first, people are great
    If you are a student looking for a part-time good paying job, this is a great place to work for.

Cons

Supervisors only care about productivity.
    They do not take ownership for their screw up and some of them like to gossip.
    Management is hardly on the floor so they do not see what the supervisors are up to.

The expectations are unreal for the pay and hours.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pensacola, FL (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

The discount you receive is great - 25% off everything including clearance and sale prices. The atmosphere is great except when furniture falls on you.

Cons

I'm a Leader with Pier 1, and this company blows my mind. Everyday is an opportunity to get severely injured or re-injured. Usually there's only 2 people in the store, and if a customer needs an item out of the back, I have to go get it. More times than none, the item is a chair or chest and I'm having to lift these pieces over my head, by myself, because someone has to remain on the floor. Besides all the ways to get hurt, the company focuses on pushing their store credit card and it gets super annoying to customers. Also, when sales are down associates hours are cut, and the company is OK with this. It's NOT OK to cut our hours because we aren't making sales!

Wonder why there is so much turnover with this company? The amount of pay received does not reflect the amount of work expected. Offer commission to sales associates.. I mean, as much money as this company makes, you can afford to include a bonus structure.

Great company to work for, and wonderful people to work next to!

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anderson, SC (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Anderson, SC (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

I love the flexibility. I am a full time college student and my manager works around that for me so that I can still work 20 hours a week!

Cons

A "FLEX" is a shift you have to call for in advance to see if the manager needs you to work that day. It can be aggravating on days when you want to get out and do something but you're stuck because you don't know if you'll have to go into work or not.

full of good people and good first look oppurtunities

Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports part-time (less than a year)

Pros

You're able to work and not worry about drama because everyone is pretty chill overall. No drama, great respect and kindness shown. Also a pretty good employee discount.

Cons

Sometimes you can feel overwhelmed with the amount of merchandise that you are expected to have out on the floor and realistically there is no room for it. Systems aren't very reliable when it comes to how much there is inventory.

It would be good for management to evaluate more on the tasks they want someone to have done. And to be a bit more reasonable and considerate to the amount of space there actually is available and the amount of merchandise that is received in store, along with keeping in mind the customers and what kind of customer we have in the area. What product would that area of customers be more drawn to buy.

Fun place to work, not enough hours, and not enough pay

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olympia, WA (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Olympia, WA (US)

I have been working at Pier 1 Imports

Pros

Definitely a fun environment, the people here are amazing and it's always exciting to see what new product comes in.

Cons

Unfortunately, you're not really guaranteed hours and when you do work, you're doing tons of work for not much pay. When it's no longer the Christmas season, only you and 1 manager are working the entire store, cash wrap, cleaning, greeting, checking back with customers, doing projects, etc. And all in a 4-5 hour shift.

Have at least 3 people working at a time to help productivity on the floor.