Plum District

www.plumdistrict.com

Plum District Reviews

Updated Jun 23, 2014
Plum District – US – “Plum District Lobby”

Susan Kim

Good idea, some great individuals, lots of funding but incompetent leadership.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Met some intelligent, passionate people
    - Great idea for a company powered by moms
    - Kleiner Perkins backed
    - Access to successful, inspirational guests that would come speak at the company
    - Good pay, standard startup benefits

Cons- Culture was depressing: employees from interns through management spent a huge amount of time talking negatively about company prospects and questioning the leadership team
    - All of the best people I thought I could learn from had left
    - Leadership was always telling us a story, but you could tell from employee buzz that people didn't believe it
    - Employee satisfaction surveys in which I (and other co-workers I talked to) would give constructive feedback and low reviews never had an impact. Why ask if you don't plan to do anything?
    - People disappeared with no explanation
    - Sales goals were nearly impossible to reach
    - Hitting an unrealistic number is not motivating--I joined to create jobs for moms and help local businesses
    - Shady CEO
    - CEO cheerleads all the positive growth, but the whole company knew if we didn't run 20-30% discounts, nothing would sell
    - CEO treats employees like children (and not like a Mom). Morning roll-call, time wasting "Inbox zero" and time management exercises, people would leave her office crying, etc
    - Lots of meetings, little follow through
    - End of the month desperation to make numbers
    - Lots of talk about values but the only real value was hitting unrealistic numbers
    - Really bureaucratic for a startup

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees talk a lot more then you think they do. Everyone knows that you're spending way too much money and the revenue just isn't there. Spend less time trying to manipulate your people and more time helping them succeed. It's not about CEO cheerleading and making empty promises. Start 'Know(ing) your values and who you are and liv(ing) your li(ves) accordingly'. Stop copying everyone else a year too late and start doing something original. Decide if you care about moms. If you really do, then actually do something about it. Thank your lucky stars the people holding the purse strings haven't tossed you out yet.

Employees are smart as a whip, but corrupt leadership tanks the startup.

Content Manager (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros*Great coworkers - fun group of people to be around
    *Lots of talent, innovative thinkers, hard workers
    *Interesting idea that may have been effective if executed properly

Cons*Utter disorganization, along with an overly bureaucratic mentality that prevents improvements in the structure and workflow of the company
    *Demoralizing senior level management
    *Awful team building exercises used to single out and humiliate individual employees
    *Unreasonable work expectations and hours
    *Insufficient training
    *Flash decisions made in a desperate attempt to inflate failing revenue targets with no regard for their impact on the future of the company

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to your employees and respond. They know what they're doing in the daily operation of the business better than you do. Don't lie about how things are going. Everybody knows, and dishonesty makes it unbearable.

Poor leadership and a business concept that is past its prime

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsAt the beginning, the promise of working from home, being an entrepreneur, and earning a decent salary was very exciting. Management showed models of our earning potential that were motivational.

ConsThe team and workflow was very disorganized. In particular, the CEO, Megan Gardner, was an ineffective and inexperienced leader. She was terrific at selling staff members on the promise of Plum District. But once you scratched through her rah rah speeches, HBS jargon, ever-changing financials, and mindless productivity practices, you saw that she was an inexperienced manager who cared much more about making a dollar and a name for herself than the wellbeing of her team.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you are a potential investor, stay away. This company and business model are sure to implode in the coming year.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Complete and utter disaster

ProsThe amazing people I have met while employed and their wicked sense of humor

ConsLack of intelligent leadership; lots of meetings, and talking, and making power point slides but no action taken that will truly grow the business; CEO lacks loyalty or integrity and takes credit for founding something she did not; Using "moms" (the most loyal, well connected group of people in the world) to build a business, and then laying them off with no severance; hiring leadership that is completely clueless and inadequate; no training, no consistency and no idea how to market; basic lack of ability to run a successful business

Advice to Senior ManagementStop playing pretend. Investors, potential employees and other potential partners should be cautious. No matter what industry, loyalty and integrity matter and you have neither. You are taking a brilliant business model and ruining it.

Never thought I would walk into something so unethical

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

Prosthe concept is great. Strong woman working their way back into the work place.
     A place for women to truly have the 'work life balance' that is needed in this world.
    * Women employing women- what a concept!

ConsNone of the Pros hold true.
    *They laid off a large number of their sales force on mothers day weekend. Mothers Employing Mothers? I guess not.
    *Reactive environment
    *They flew all Regional Managers throughout the country to their HQ for a national sales meeting
    *2 days later all those regionals were let go. They were informed when they could not log onto their computers that AM. Leadership then called them (after it was known what was happening) and read from a script that they no longer had a job with the organization.
    *These Regionals were top performers in the company
    *One Regional had just received the offer 2 weeks prior,quit her position with her previous employer, accepted the Plum District position, flew out to this meeting - worked 4 full days for Plum District only to be called and told she no longer had a position after 4 days on the job.
    *Either they are extremely disorganized or extremely unethical
    *Immature leadership
    *Unethical practices across the board. Reactive changes in commission plan, salaries
    *Dishonesty throughout the interviewing process on the reality of the job.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out your ethics. Practice what you preach: 'Know your values and who you are and live your life accordingly' is what the CEO just recently said. Laughable. The CEO does not run your company this way. Or maybe leadership does know that they have horrible values and you are just running the company into the ground with unfathonable business practices and values on how to treat employees. Horrible people in this company. Run from this corporation.

District Consultant

District Consultant (Current Employee) Boston, MA (US)

Prosflex hours, great peer group

Consdisorganized, no training, no direction, false promises of salary

Originally inspiring and well intentioned start-up, turned into a disaster and horrific place to work

Former Corporate Office Employee (Former Employee) San Francisco, CA (US)

Pros- Good learning experience: Because there were not enough resources and I took on the roles of 2-3 people, I was able to learn a lot and crammed in what seemed like 4 years worth of work experience into my year and a half at Plum District.

- Some great people: So many of the people working at Plum District are/were talented, interesting, smart and great to work with. The coworkers were what kept me at the company for nearly a year after I became extremely unhappy and first considered leaving (I eventually did leave, voluntarily).

-Inspiring idea: I still love the idea of empowering moms to be able to work on their own time and schedule to earn money while still being present in their children's lives. It's unfortunate that it hasn't been executed well at Plum District.

Cons-Brutal, toxic, practically abusive working environment and CEO management style. It was really an environment of fear - the CEO especially did not treat people with respect or dignity, and many people simply disappeared with no explanation or acknowledgment.

-Hypocrisy: Management always spoke to maintaining a good work/life balance and being less chaotic at work, but didn't help the company make any changes to allow for this balance. When I worked at Plum District, I worked 70-90 hours a week. I was adequately compensated (although 10K under industry average for my position), but I know many of my co-workers worked the same hours and were horrifically underpaid, despite their attempt at negotiating a well deserved raise.

-Absurd company goals that were not realistic and the desperate attempts to reach them led to shady and demotivating practices.

-Poor internal communication and people quick to blame others or throw them under the bus. I believe much of this was due to the toxic and fearful environment created by management.

-Extremely low morale and high turnover rate: Even when I was there, it was becoming clearer and clearer that the business model simply didn't work. Without discounts, nothing sold. Burn out rate was also extremely high. Between voluntarily and involuntary turn-over, it was rare that anyone lasted more than a year. Since its start in April of 2010, Plum District has gone through: 3 VPs of Marketing, 2 VPs of Sales, 2 VPs of Product, 1 VP of Technology and 1 VP of Business Development. And this is just the highest level management team - I can't even begin to count the number of Regional Managers & other corporate employees who have left / been forced to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember your humanity and recognize the loyalty, dedication, and amazing work that people are giving to your company. Think about the long-term growth and stop making every decision based on the end of month goals. Stand up when you think an idea or practice is unethical or demoralizing. Listen - really listen - when people have the courage to express their opinions or offer constructive criticism. Find something original to do with the incredible network of moms that you have rather than trying to make the daily deal platform work - it won't.

Plum District is a BIG DISAPPOINTMENT!

District Consultant (Former Employee) Austin, TX (US)

ProsA total fraud of a company. The article today was right on!

ConsA horrible company. The CEO has a 0 % approval rating. Need I say more?

Revolving door / Frequent job eliminations / Strongly not recommended

Regional Manager (Former Employee)

ProsWork from home office / remotely
    Generous vacation

ConsThey started out hiring a regional manager for each market in which they wanted to source local deals. They attracted accomplished sales talent, wooed them away from great jobs, to only eliminate their jobs in most case less than a year later. They seem to be fumbling around trying to get the model right to make a buck and pacify their investors. It's really one bad decision after another and, in the process, people are getting dismissed at whim. It's a volatile, unstable environment at it's very best.

All of the regional manager positions have now been eliminated so what they were building their reputation on - that local, connected-in-the-community mom - is now gone. Either they don't know what they're doing or they are cold and calculating. And, the message is all buttoned up in a simple, "We're re-organizing" each time a cut occurs.

You can see for yourself. Just do a simple search on LinkedIn and you can see how many used to work there. Don't kid yourself in thinking they were eliminated due to performance either.

No job security
    Jobs eliminated with no notice (dozens of salaried sales management jobs eliminated)
    Markets closed with no notice
    Many co-workers worked here for less than a year (even as little as a few days) to have their jobs eliminated
    No severance pay
    Comp plans unfavorably changed at whim
    Poor communication
    Deals don't sell well for the most part so commissions are extremely low

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some dignity and respect for people and stop hiring people when you know you're not going to employ them for long
    Get it together, create a good plan that will work, review it, put it down and come back later to review again, make tweaks, then and only then implement and stick to it - stop with the knee-jerk reactions

Regional

Regional Sales Manager (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsThe women I met at PD

ConsAmazing. They claim to be a company built for moms run by moms. On Friday they fired nearly all their moms. No warning, no true reason, just poof, they were gone. Left a lot of moms in a bad place. The moms who truly built the company are gone! They called 2 moms and fired them the night before Mothers day. Wow, make moms day. The CEO is a fraud, and about as cold as an icecube. Buyer beware, they are almost out of funding.

Worked for Plum District? Contribute to the Community!