Polo Ralph Lauren

Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated Jul 24, 2014

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren

Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount(in 36 reviews)

• Great customers; great product; great discount(in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job(in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent(in 20 reviews)

Well-regarded brand to work for

Director Marketing (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsGood stepping stone to other opportunities; Rich brand heritage

ConsCompensation is below industry average; Very political internal work environment

Retail comes with it's ups and downs.

Sales (Current Employee) Destin, FL (US)

ProsFlexibility with scheduling, my starting pay was $10 per hour with no former experience, a 15 minute break every two hours (super nice when its been a hectic day), and having a wide diversity of coworkers. Also, the company pays for the store to have mini "parties" where they serve drinks and food during big days like Black Friday or July 4th. It also looks nice on a resume.

ConsTraining on the cash register is rough since they don't give you enough time to learn and go over everything, managers each have a different way of doing things, managers verbally attack and talk about other employees and managers, and the constant business of the store when you're working the register. We are also told to get the customers name, address and email at check out, at the end of the month you are given a score on how many you got. It's not fair when more and more customers are refusing to share their information. I've worked there for a year and have not advanced in the store. It's like the managers choose new comers for big jobs instead of using who they already have,

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep comments about other employees and workers at the store to yourself. It's disrespectful and it doesn't make anyone respect you either.

Upper Management is Demotivating

Internal Auditor (Current Employee) Lyndhurst, NJ (US)

ProsWork isn't very difficult
    Get to wear casual clothes daily

ConsThe upper management in my department is completely demotivating. They posses the characteristics that are the complete opposite of what makes a good leader. Constantly looking to blame someone when there is a mistake. Everyone above the manager level is extremely awkward and socially inept. Micromanagement. Unwillingless to listen to ideas/suggestions that go against how they think things should be working even if the suggestion can strengthen a control or provide increased efficiency to a project. They are extremely inefficient; would rather sit and speculate for hours on why something is done a certain way when it could just be answered with a quick 10 minute phone call.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you ask your employees "how we can make this a better work environment?" actually mean it! Don't ask just to say you asked and then not listen.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ok

Sales Associate/Cashier (Former Employee) Smithfield, NC (US)

ProsEmployee discount make the clothes a fair price
    Starting rate wasn't terrible
    There are a few cool people work there

ConsPromotions, lol, good luck.
    Lack of real structure
    Management wasn't comprised of effective leaders/managers, but people who stayed at the store long enough to be promoted.

Lots of opportunities for growth.

Prosgreat training, flexible hours, summer Fridays. Lots of opportunity for growth. Best in the fashion industry

ConsUnfortunately, the pay at first is not great. It also takes quite some time for promotion

Excellent for a resume with a High End Retailer but HORRIBLE for company morale, pay/benefits, expectations

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Wilkes-Barre, PA (US)

ProsWonderful coworkers. The name Ralph Lauren is a plus for any resume. Scheduling is very flexible (though never done right..see cons). Discount is 30%, sometimes special discounts online.

ConsPay at this location is the lowest in the area. After several years with the company, still learn I have additional responsibilities or responsibilities I have been performing are not mine. Their interweb system is like using dial-up. Constantly get different assignments for the same project by DM, RM, GM

Advice to Senior ManagementDM, RM & GM need to get on the same page regarding assignments. Raise the salary, someone who has been there 5 years shouldn't be making the same amount as a 16 year old working at Forever 21 a few stores down.

Polo Ralph Lauren Experience (online)

Ralph Lauren.com Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) High Point, NC (US)

ProsPeople are generally friendly and fun to be around
    Comfortable atmosphere
    Alot of autonomy in making decisions to pacify the customers

ConsNo flexibility
    A lot of favoritism
    No days off on important holidays, unless you have time off to use

Advice to Senior ManagementUnderstand that employees are your customers and humans to and that they deserve to be treated fairly in all areas--scheduling flexibility, compensation, and advancements

Great Company!!! Atlanta store has the worst management team.

Sales Professional (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA (US)

ProsGreat customers; great product; great discount

ConsUnorganized and dishonest management team; juvenile behavior; very "clickish"

Advice to Senior ManagementLead by example; do not engage in gossip and spread rumors; foster a friendly non hostile working environment.

Full time employee for 2 years.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe discount is nice. The hours are consistent, the benefits are okay.

ConsVery little internal movement up the "ladder". Job positions are often made up to accommodate the higher ups favorite workers. Very sexist working environment, pretty boys are often favorited.

Advice to Senior ManagementRespect the little people, it will pay off BIG TIME.

If you want to work retail, Ralph Lauren is the best to work for!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMany opportunities to grow, good benefits if you are full time. The company really takes care of their team and cares about you.

ConsOnly con I can think of is, its harder to get promoted because everyone is fighting for any open position that becomes available. You might have to move if you want a promotion.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to feedback from your team. Esp if they are expressing there is horrible management!

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!