Polo Ralph Lauren Reviews

Updated 28 August 2014

3.3

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount (in 37 reviews)

• Great brand name, great discounts, generally great co-workes (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • work/life balance, people who thrive at RL are people who make retail sales their career instead of a job (in 12 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Great company, bad choices.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager  in  Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Ralph Lauren provides exceptional benefits, plenty of room for growth and an amazing employee experience. You fall in love with the brand and what it stands for, but then it slowly falls apart the higher you move.

Cons

Field leadership does not listen to store level management; they truly believe they understand the challenges in stores since they work in one at some point in their career, but they don't. Payroll continues to get lowered and lowered creating unrealistic expectations as it relates to the customers experience. Field leadership has a very skewed view on who should be running their stores, which frequently results in likeable people running their stores, not qualified people.

Stop putting all your eggs in one basket. You consistently have your mind set on candidates prior to truly looking at the other amazing talent right under your noses. There are numerous individuals across the country that are better suited to run your locations or fill your field positions than most of the people your have promoted recently. And protect your talent. You have let too many amazing individuals walk away without so much as lifting a finger to save them, despite there reasons for leaving being genuine issues that need to be addressed. Take the time to talk with some of the people under your DMs and GMs in a truly transparent conversation, you will likely discover that the people you think are amazing, really are not, but people are afraid to speak up.

difficult and hard to move up in the company. needs to hire qualified people. to many clicks. too political

Current Employee - Designer  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

some people are great and some are not. you have to find your balance

Cons

hard to advance. leadership is hard. they only hire people from the hamptons or the son/daughter of execs

hire qualified people

Good brand, terrible management.

Former Employee - Sales Associate  in  Allen, TX (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Allen, TX (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for less than a year

Pros

As an employee you get 50% off their items. You can purchase up to 4 items a month (50% off). If you want to buy more items, you get 30% all the additional ones. Good brand in terms of being a customer, terrible for being a sales associate.

Cons

Terrible management. Was offered a certain hourly pay which I accepted, came to find out that I got less than that (hourly rate). I requested to change it after 3 weeks of being employed and still saw no difference in my hourly rate. I quit 2 months after that seeing NO CHANGE in my rate. One of my managers (out of 3) was somewhat racist and covered it very well. Other managers were nice and had manners. I quit working for them for many other reasons including keeping employees after close past scheduled hours to make the store look ready for the next day. No matter how messy the store is, it has to look perfect for the next day which means you may stay 2+ hours after your shift has ended still working to clean the store up. So if your shift is scheduled till 11, you may end up being there past midnight. I simply can't do that. I have requested my final check after quitting and its been 8 weeks since then, still have NOT received check. I am going to call payroll services tomorrow.

Not too much advice to give here, treat your employees well and they will work better. There's a huge gap in between managers and sales associates in terms of work class. That doesn't mean you treat your staff poorly. When you tell an employee during hire a certain hourly rate, I expect to get that rate instead of a REDUCED HOURLY RATE. I called out management for being so bad, coincidentally, a new general manager was on board the next following day. This means that I'm simply not making stories up. Even after such a terrible experience, the new general manager did a very poor job with cooperating with a former employee regarding a final paycheck. Its almost as if they treat you like you've been dispensed into a trash bin. Management was a huge issue during my time working there. I've worked at lower-end companies and this is by far the worst experience I've had working for a company. I own a company and manage it myself so I have a good idea when management is doing a good job or not.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible Company

Former Employee - Sales Professional  in  Atlanta, GA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Professional in Atlanta, GA (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Employee Discount and Wardrobe Allowance

Cons

Low pay + benefits, Low moral between management and associates, Little to no room for promotion.

Management Training desperately needed.

Meh

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

people are impressed when you say you work here

Cons

actually working here. treatment. work/life balance

Going downhill

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Friendly management, great incentives that follow down from higher up corporate, easy job, value customer service, allow for leadership from sales associates

Cons

We don't train anymore, so nobody knows how to fold. Since we value customer service so much our brand presentation has been suffering.. aka the store looks like a disaster. Gossip between managers/employees is obnoxious

Don't gossip with/about your employees.

Great learning experience but very uptight management

Former Employee - Corporate Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Corporate Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The training program was great and they did a lot to help the interns. A very corporate environment in the fashion world

Cons

Very high strung and stressful position during sales times. Little room to move if you did not enjoy your department

"Some things could be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It is a stable company to work for. I have learned and grown a lot since starting working here. Company discounts are very good. There is positive potential for growth.

Cons

Time off policy is flawed, not being able to take two weeks of at one time is very difficult for someone who travels internationally for family visits. Yearly pay increases are very low.

Listen to your employees comments and complaints and take action. Be more cooperative when it comes to working with employees needs.

Great learning opportunities!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and they really take time to make sure new employees are understanding their tasks. The staff is really dedicated to the philosophy of the company

Cons

Long hours and expect to cover all of the details. A lot of research goes into reports, especially in marketing and online departments

Great learning experience for an intern

Former Employee - Design Intern  in  New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Design Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren for less than a year

Pros

As an intern, you get to do a lot. It is not only admin or office support. I got to participate in the design meetings, fittings, and see the whole corporate design process. The intern program is well-done and includes events, workshops and panels. It is a great place to intern and it also pays. You also get a discount.

Cons

Not much. I wouldn't recommend if you are not used to fast-paced environments and keep up with the speed.

Worked for Polo Ralph Lauren? Contribute to the Community!