Polo Ralph Lauren

Updated 19 November 2014
3.2

Polo Ralph Lauren Chairman and CEO Ralph Lauren
Ralph Lauren

Pros
  • Ralph Lauren has excellent employee benefits and offers a generous employee discount (in 42 reviews)

• Great discount, company has a reputable name to use for future references (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Often more concerned about profits than employees work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Full time seasonal, as well as part time managerial/supervisor positions are non existent (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Rewarding.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Greensboro, NC (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time

Pros

Opportunities are there, if you have the desire and drive to take advantage of them.

Cons

Nothing to report at this time.

Great company, great discounts, cares about employees

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great brand name, great discounts, generally great co-workes

Cons

Politics, not enough time off

Less political game playing and more political maneuvering will allow for processes to move faster; Pay is at sub-industry rates.

Perfect retail job for first-time or beginner sales associate

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Aurora, IL (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Working for an internationally recognized brand, opportunities in sales and cash handling as well as basic assistant management, working with a large retail team, very community based.

Cons

Terrible hours, outlet mall setting gives way to less desirable consumers, MILLIONS of foreign tourists a year that do not speak ANY english, this is bottom of the totem poll at RL and upward movement takes a considerable amount of time.`

None at this time

The company has great benefits however you have no time for personal life and they pick and choose who gets the better s

Former Employee - Sales Floor Supervisor in Nags Head, NC (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Floor Supervisor in Nags Head, NC (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The benefits are pretty good and would be even better if they added some type of gym membership. Online discount is %50.

Cons

Personal growth is limited, I was apart of management and management loved to gossip and separate themselves from the actual associates. I was the only one who really communicated with the associates which is why they loved working with me.

Be constant with the schedule and get to know your associates.

great place

Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren part-time (less than an year)

Pros

Co-workers & Management - the majority of the people I worked with were amazing. I am still close to one of my managers today and I consider her a mentor. If you work hard your managers will notice. This will make your experience better.
    Employee Discount
    Growth - I worked very hard during my time at Macy's and within six months had already received two promotions, which ended me working in the cosmetics department.

Cons

The Macy's I worked at forced us to join a Union. Being a part-time employee getting paid a quarter above minimum wage, a Union was something I did not want to pour my money into.
    The customers; management at Macy's has given the customer way too much freedom for too long. Customers now know that if they treat an employee like dirt by complaining about something completely out of the stores control, they will be rewarded with a coupon or "Macy's Money" to help them remain loyal customers. This causes the employees to be treated like dirt on a consistent basis, and it is more prevalent during the holiday seasons.

Be more forceful with customers; the customer is not always right and it is time they were treated that way. Also, increase your starting base salary

Great

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time

Pros

Great place. i liked it a lot. great mobility, awesome people. wages were great. great company. polo ralph lauren is the best.

Cons

customers were annoying, stuck up, rich people, blegh. it was cool though. still ralph doe. time off was kind of wack, but its all good though.

Short but sweet

Former Employee - Display Freelancer in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Display Freelancer in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Worked as a window display fabricator, worked overnights, when the store was closed. Colleagues were good people, compensation was decent. Transport back (cab to brooklyn from UES) was comped, which was appreciated.

Cons

Can't say I enjoyed setting up a Native American tent to display the latest RL patterns, but "fashion".

No criticisms, good job.

Great company, bad choices.

Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV (US)
    Current Employee - Assistant Manager in Las Vegas, NV (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Ralph Lauren provides exceptional benefits, plenty of room for growth and an amazing employee experience. You fall in love with the brand and what it stands for, but then it slowly falls apart the higher you move.

Cons

Field leadership does not listen to store level management; they truly believe they understand the challenges in stores since they work in one at some point in their career, but they don't. Payroll continues to get lowered and lowered creating unrealistic expectations as it relates to the customers experience. Field leadership has a very skewed view on who should be running their stores, which frequently results in likeable people running their stores, not qualified people.

Stop putting all your eggs in one basket. You consistently have your mind set on candidates prior to truly looking at the other amazing talent right under your noses. There are numerous individuals across the country that are better suited to run your locations or fill your field positions than most of the people your have promoted recently. And protect your talent. You have let too many amazing individuals walk away without so much as lifting a finger to save them, despite there reasons for leaving being genuine issues that need to be addressed. Take the time to talk with some of the people under your DMs and GMs in a truly transparent conversation, you will likely discover that the people you think are amazing, really are not, but people are afraid to speak up.

difficult and hard to move up in the company. needs to hire qualified people. to many clicks. too political

Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY (US)
    Current Employee - Designer in New York, NY (US)

I have been working at Polo Ralph Lauren full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

some people are great and some are not. you have to find your balance

Cons

hard to advance. leadership is hard. they only hire people from the hamptons or the son/daughter of execs

hire qualified people

Great learning opportunities!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in New York, NY (US)

I worked at Polo Ralph Lauren as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is very friendly and they really take time to make sure new employees are understanding their tasks. The staff is really dedicated to the philosophy of the company

Cons

Long hours and expect to cover all of the details. A lot of research goes into reports, especially in marketing and online departments

Polo Ralph Lauren Photos