PolyOne

Be The First To
Add Photos

PolyOne Chairman, President, and CEO Stephen D. Newlin

Stephen D. Newlin

Great company, great vision but be prepared to work very hard

I worked at PolyOne full-time

ProsPays very well - very competitive. Strong values and ethics, and a strong value approach to their products and services. Great people, most of who will go to the wall to help each other succeed and service the customer. Good benefits and can be a stable place to have a career if you are a consistently strong performer. Many divisions and locations so there are lots of opportunities to explore different product groups and positions.

ConsAs a public company, they can often be shortsighted in their tactics in order to ensure they meet their quarterly and year end metrics to maintain/increase their stock price. This can result in different departments having different objectives that may not be in the customer's best interests lon-term. You will work very hard here - in some roles, often nights, weekends and while on vacation. Management gives more priority to commercial and management roles than to support roles which often creates bottlenecks and insufficient support and leads to poor morale. As said in some other reviews, executive management seems to regard personnel as sheep or horses at times - incapable of making good decisions on their own and prone to idleness if they don't stay on them and overload them with metrics and documentation and additional tasks. They have taken away most of the decision making capability from medium levels and hired layers of managers instead, often requiring a series of approvals to get logical things accomplished.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you have taken the time to train, coach and/or qualify good employees or new hires, trust them to handle the roles that you assign them and try to recognize that while hard work is not the same as results, that most of your employees are doing their best to implement your strategies so it helps to let them know you know that, even when the results aren't as good as you had hoped for or led Wall Street to believe.

Good Company with Lots to Offer

Industry Marketing Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than a year

ProsGlobal reach, strategic focus, good executive leadership, career development opportunities, professional development tracks (LSS), very competent rank and file employees who will work very hard to get the job done, great performance bonuses offer everyone a chance to make some extra money. Would work for them again one day in a different capacity.

ConsVery conservative culture tends to stifle creativity and entrepreneurial spirit. Some long-tenured employees who really need to consider retirement or moving on. Occasional "not-invented-here" mentality tends to rear its ugly head.

Advice to Senior ManagementLoosen up and have fun.

Good Room for Growth if You Can Deal with Politics

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGood benefits, they like to promote internally, decent work environment. Depending on location, managers good with flex time (not at HQ so much). Have extensive resources to help get job done.

ConsLots of politics (like any corporate company), too many structure/org changes before give time of previous changes to take. Need to stay the course instead of making so many knee-jerk changes.

Money is more valuable than people

Avon Lake, OH (US)

I have been working at PolyOne full-time

Pros-Workers have outstanding work ethic
-Good benefits

Cons-Work ethic isn't recognized by management despite working capital increasing
-No rush to hire because it costs too much
-Unofficial 80 hour weeks, often
-Training is frowned upon because of time and cost
-Being an introvert is viewed as a weakness
-Career path is a mystery, even to management

Advice to Senior ManagementYour employees are people first and foremost, not a means to make an extra penny. Try to understand what motivates each person individually instead of trying to motivate every person the same way

Not the same as it was....

TDE (Former Employee)
Rancho Cucamonga, CA (US)

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat people, wonderful memories, good product mix

Consnarrow scope of advancement for engineering types

Advice to Senior Managementlisten to the street

Company cares only for profits. Employees are only "tools" to be blamed for management failures.

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGreat Salary, which is the only positive. You will earn it!

ConsManagement is uncaring, incompetent and without a moral compass. You will work yourself to death here with zero thanks.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember that your employees are your best asset, not working capital

Nothing But Mismanaged troubles and abuse (Orangeville)

Maintenance (Former Employee)
Orangeville, ON (Canada)

ProsGood pay and benefits,

some experienced long term employees. small manufacturing scale, know every one by name.

Most workers all share there experiences and help out.

ConsSystemic culture issues or lack of culture, management on a perpetual witch hunt, too lost in the ``point the finger`` etc... to see what is going on around them or to be effective good leadership.

``Honesty`` ,``Integrity`` ``Respect`` not here !

Work flow up and downs, short notice use your holidays up first..... or there`s no work next shift.

They can`t seem to get there own policies training and procedures straight, everything changes to suit the moment. `` Lack of integrity``

I`ve never seen a management group that unorganized and unable plan work with some fore
thought and insight considering the many years and experience with the same old equipment and set up. Fallow through or making any kind of meaning full decision for the future is a miss here. ``Dead wood``

No ``Aspri De Corps`` every one just works there. The bottom dollar aditiude is killing what

is soon to be dead equipment and resources. ``lack of respect``

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep on the way your going and your problems will fix you.

``World Class`` is no were near what is going on here.

A full time active HR person, better hire two.

Great place if you like high pay and no decision authority.

Lean Six Sigma (Former Employee)

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat pay. Good work/life balance for most groups. Lots of nice people.

ConsSupply Chain & Operations run by someone with an iron first - good luck getting any input on decisions. Other groups may have it better though.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet go! You hire young, talented, creative people and you lose them because you stifle them.

Not a bad company

I worked at PolyOne full-time

ProsChallenging work environment, competitive salaries and benefits. Seem to care about employees well-being with ways to improve your health.

ConsInexperienced management; need to be available for work, day, night, weekends and holidays..Vacation is available but unable to take it.

Sweat Shop!!

Supervisor (Former Employee)
Elk Grove Village, IL (US)

I worked at PolyOne full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat employees that really care! A fairly stable process.

ConsHORRIBLE MANAGEMENT! Abuse their workers and take complete advantage of them!!! I was in management at the Elk Grove Facility in Illinois for over 5 years, and what was consistent was the abuse of employees. The high turnovers and the consistent change of overall management was just a joke... Its sad because the workers are solid there.

Advice to Senior ManagementWAKE UP!!!!

Worked for PolyOne? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at PolyOne reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for PolyOne CEO Stephen D. Newlin. All 21 reviews are posted anonymously by PolyOne employees.