Portugal Telecom

Portugal Telecom Reviews

Updated Jul 03, 2014

Portugal Telecom CEO and Director Zeinal A. Mahomed Bava

Zeinal A. Mahomed Bava

Excellent company to start working at

IT Consultant (Current Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsSpecific program (PT Trainees) for recruiting of raw university talent, independently of course.
    Great integration for new people based on periodic side activities over the first two years which are part of the program.

ConsMilleage may vary at such a large company, there are many different people and job types which make each person's experience unique and not necessarily what one would expect after being accepted.

Advice to Senior ManagementIncrease the company's focus on expanding its business model internationally even more, as Portugal is a very small market for all the big ideas that are being developed.

To much outsourcing

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsYou learn enterprise size methodologies there. The company lunch area is reasonable although it could have more variety.

ConsThey don't have good work life balance and the outsourcing is terrible, seen people there that are outsourced by as much as four companies before being deploy in their work post, a victory for the middle men.

Advice to Senior Managementthe outsourcing is not really saving any money, offer those workers half of what you pay to the outsourcing companies and the "real" workers will be be very happy with the 50% raise and a stable job. I simply quit and moved on to a better work because these critical points would not be meet even if I was very good at my work.

Great workplace

SAP Consultant (Former Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsExcellent place to learn and get experience, great work environment.

ConsCompensation should be one tool for administrators to drive workers performance and motivation. But unfortunately that is not the PT way.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease reward intelligently

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Intern- Test Engineering

Intern Engineering (Current Employee) Aveiro (Portugal)

ProsGreat team.... excellent vibe inside the company, the spirit of progress is in, in the short time I was in the company they gave several workshops for the employees

ConsLong hours as an Engineer, still the ambiance is good enough so you don't realize the amount of time you spent in there.

Blue-Chip

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsLarge Organization, good for technical jobs

ConsLarge Organization, fair for management jobs

Advice to Senior ManagementThe ones that stay at the company are probably the ones that should have gone out ... Most of them have personnal agendas that really harm company's owners interests and dispite of that they tend to be promoted ...

Excellent work experience and plentiful opportunities to broaden horizons

Firmware Development Engineer (Former Employee) Aveiro (Portugal)

ProsLots of projects to be involved with and a good working environment, state of the art equipment and plentiful opportunities to learn new technologies
    Management is somewhat easygoing, at least in the group I was working, altough they were also very aware of the deadlines, so do not expect any kind of slackers!

ConsSomewhat difficult to get the message trough tough, paperwork could be rearranged to get the most out of your work without getting in the way
    Overtime work was not valued as I think it should be, but when it was deemed necessary I never had any problem with it.

Advice to Senior Management“If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said faster horses.” - Henry Ford

Talent overflow

Web Developer (Former Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsIt's overflowing with talent, so it is a great place to learn. Casual environment and good feel all round.

ConsFor the same reason, because it's overflowing with talent you must be on the top 5% to be able to survive. Most teams have different project management procedures. Some don't have project management at all. Oversourced resources are the most part of the fabric yet they don't move forward inside the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementImprove project management skills and processes. Rely on each real talent.

Stable environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

ProsJob Security and leading market positions, diversity of protfolio, international presence
    Reduced pressure from clients
    Recognizable brand
    Good work environment with informal relation

ConsLack of opportunities for growth due to a mature market, Company politics and alliances and
    Career systems based on personnal attributes which makes it harder for an unknown to go through the ranks. lack of integration with international business and lack of visibility of oportunites outside

Advice to Senior Management10 years without visible investment on human resources is a long time for a company who wants to succeed. When facing such a strong menace like the ones we are living corporations need an environment that promotes change and risk taking, not authoritarian management and cost focus

Just fine - (regarding an engineering position, other areas such as HR are much more relaxed).

Trainee - IT & Telecom Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsThe prestige of working on one of the largest companies in Portugal.
    Good for your resume. Salaries are not all that bad.

ConsIf you are a worker outside Lisbon, you get treated like a second-rate employee (even if you're in Aveiro).
    Should pay their engineers better.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the "Cons" and improve on those.
    PT-Inovação should have a more start-up feel to it, too much micro management.
    A little more credit could be given to the "subcontratados" category.

low salaries

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Lisbon (Portugal)

Prosgood company to learn new things.

Consyou cant get a good career evolution

Worked for Portugal Telecom? Contribute to the Community!