Praxair

Praxair Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Praxair President, and CEO Steve Angel

Steve Angel

Pros
  • A stable company, which is well-respected in its industry, which offers good work-life balance(in 8 reviews)

• Secure job, nice people, good benefits(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • The main goal of Upper management is to get money to the stockholders(in 8 reviews)

• Outside of not working overtime and being able to take a lunch hour, they don't encourage a healthy work-life balance(in 3 reviews)

good company to work with recommended

Prosgood culture and values recommeded to work

Consnot global stds has lot of gaps between india and global

Advice to Senior Managementmeet global stds

aa+

Associate Manager (Former Employee) Hyderābād

ProsGives you an exposure to best Technology & practices of Industry .
    Balanced in growth ,

Consslow for personal growth not very aggressive in remuneration

i have well experienced with specialty gas aspects & Safe handling procedures.

Operations Supervisor (Current Employee) Bangalore

Prosi got the knowledge about all specialty gasses physical & chemical properties,What ever gasses spread ed in our surroundings now i am familiar with their percentage h0w it is related to us.How to handle with specialty gas leakages,what are the safety procedures we have to take all those training i have completed.i have knowledge about types of cylinders & their specifications

Consthey were not taking care what v r doing in customer site,They are not giving any further knowledge about gasses not giving any facilities in customer sites ,We are sincerely doing lots of thing in customer site but ur management not at all seeing our work....my self very sad about these things.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dynamic environment, almost a scary level of competence amongst my colleagues.

Senior Project Manager (Current Employee)

Prosinteresting work, good communication, the physical facility is well kept and is conducive to serious work. The workforce is international and immensely talented.

Conslots of structure, and one must be aware of the unwritten do's and don'ts or career obstacles will occur. Typical for a larger company, it can be difficult to do things quickly in the organization.

Advice to Senior Managementreduce the amount of rules and structure. A lot of energy is expended in producing charts, reports, tables, etc., for review meetings and regular reporting.

7 years with praxair

Human Resources Manager (Current Employee) Chicago, IL (US)

ProsPeople are great hardworking Benefits ok middle of road. Nothing to write home about. Bonuses stripped in 2008 and only apply to middle management to executives.

ConsLean staffing more folks leaving for pay and quality of life concerns. Pay not increased as workloads continue to expand. Executive team is disconnected and don't put employees first who work hard to contribute to bottom line success of company

Advice to Senior ManagementWork on the ground for a month as a tech or driver in the plant to gain perspective of what employees face with lack of resources and constant patching up of infrastructure

review

Prosgreat benefits and vacation time. great pay weekly for clerical work. everyone is so friendly

Consthere aren't much cons except that sometimes it could get so boring aroufcd here that iiiiiiiiiimirls

Solid company but does not bring out creativity

Process Engineer (Former Employee) Indianapolis, IN (US)

ProsI appreciate how their stock has perform over the years and made for a nice 401K. Financially they are solid and have long term contracts so even in tough times they have revenue.

ConsYou cannot be too creative since you are most often dealing with hazardous materials and rigid procedures have to be followed. Most of the products are commodities so margins are very thin. As a result employees are constantly encouraged to spend less and less every year so upper management can maintain their high salaries. If eventually you do get a high paycheck, beware you may be laid off to improve the company bottom line.

Advice to Senior ManagementHave a more pleasant office / factories. Locations can be very dreary and industrial. Take some hints from a Google or Pixar.

This is a great place to work

Mechanical Engineering Intern (Current Employee) Tonawanda, NY (US)

ProsEveryone in management is extremely helpful and place their emphasis on learning and growth rather than immediate results and deadlines.

ConsI haven't found anything to complain about as of yet.

Growing company, great and inspiring place to work - if you love to meet challenges

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Moscow (Russia)

ProsInspiring culture. Culture of internal enterpreneurship. If you start and develop your own project - you will receive encouragement and resources. You see results done by yourself. If your results are good you will be noticed and get opportunities to grow and be developed.
    Good team. Growth potential in Russia. Wise managers in BD / Gases. Encouraging managers in GSS.
    Technical knowledge and technical decision-making is changing to good as company gains experience in Russian cuture.
    Official salary, medical insurance incl. dental, corporate fitness, training programms etc.

ConsSomewhen unclear connections between departments or single employees in a team. That results in resposibility sharing and work overload.
    The team is young and motivated but that causes lack of technical expertise sometimes.

Advice to Senior ManagementPut more attention on inter-department interaction, it is often ineffective. Meet all memebers of international project team in person at least once.
    Hire extra people to reduce everyday workload. Now it's challenging but physically you feel tired.
    Grow technical expertise inside the country.

Overview of R&D

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Buffalo, NY (US)

ProsPraxair is a stable, financially sound company. So far, the focus and discipline on the next quarter and short term financial success, judgement based on each project performance rather than long term strategies lead to excellent results.

ConsThe past and current approach also works against the company. The lack of significant innovation, due to limited resources in R&D, high turn over of specialists, the significant number of retirement in the ranks of people with valuable expertise without a strategy for knowledge transfer will set-back the future performance.

Advice to Senior ManagementSpeed up the innovation cycle by decoupling the R&D projects from their business sponsorship and request to follow the "RCP" approach the way is implemented today. Improve retention, and put more energy into career development and career progression. Better salaries may help as well.

Worked for Praxair? Contribute to the Community!