Principal Financial Group

www.principal.com

Principal Financial Group Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Principal Financial Group Chairman, President and Chief Executive Officer Larry D. Zimpleman

Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros
  • work life balance, collaborative work culture, approachable leadership, good salaries(in 38 reviews)

• Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages(in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines(in 11 reviews)

• could make work environment more appealing such as offering ergonomic options to offices and desks (although this is currently in progress)(in 6 reviews)

Great organisation and Amazing People

Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) Pune

ProsSeasoned organisation & employee centric. Gives opportunities to employees to experiment and be creative with enough liberity.

ConsTraditional Thinking especially on Technology advancement, Adoption of newer business ideas yet focused on doing whats best known to the company over the last 100+ years

good co. to learn business with technology

Associate Manager (Current Employee) Pune

Proswork life balance, collaborative work culture, approachable leadership, good salaries

Consslow growth prospects, perception based management style,

Advice to Senior Managementwalk the talk!!

Fixing in Interviews

ProsNothing as such. Only good pay on initial recruitment. Good life balance.

ConsCandidates referred by employees are getting selected even though they are not possessing required skills and good candidates are thrown out just to make room for references. Spouses and friends are being brought who are actually not worth than just trash. Specifically BA team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the selection process and HR TEAM. Make the right selection otherwise it would be just garbage company.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good work life balance

Systems Test Lead (Former Employee) Pune

ProsI worked with Principal global services, Pune for 5 years. It's well known as sister company of Principal financial group(USA).
    HR Policy are employee friendly
    Less complex work.
    Good work life balance
    Good pay. Very domain centric, if you have good domain knowledge they u are paid well.
    It is a good place for working women

ConsEmployees interests are not considered while allocating projects. Hence employes gets bored with repetitive work.
    No onsite opportunities.
    Growth opportunities are less.
    Management isn't transparent and

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take actions to build knowledge across team rather than letting it accumulate with one person to avoid dependencies.

best company I had found to work with!!!!

Associate Consultant (Former Employee) Pune

Prosits the best company for work culture and quality of work

Consmore job opportunities will enhance company.

PFG is good, PGS fails

Developer (Former Employee) Pune

ProsThe review is about PGS, the Pune IT arm of PFG. Good work life balance in Pune. Good policies like cab transport, can take leave whenever you want. Many have misused the flexibility so that they did'nt need to work for years.
    Direct interaction with US team helps in gaining confidence to take complex work.
    This company is a very good place for those who want a very relax lifestyle , and don't care about career growth.

ConsPoor management. The IJP system is flawed and is aimed to promote sycophants.
    Growth in terms of knowledge/system is discouraged.
    Participation in outside work (music, songs, dance, birthday songs) is considered more important than key projects.
    There are too many managers who dont understand why they exist and they pretend to know more than the HO folks. The so called L3,L2 (managers) get some one or two words from HO and then try to act as though they know it all.
    A level called AVP was created to "move up the value chain", so more festivities were executed!

This company is good only for those who join managers and above. For any other level, team lead or developer, this company is only good, if you wish to take a break for 2 years from typically Indian IT service companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not understand what advice is and are grossly incompetent to understand and implement any action.

One of the Bad HR Team & Head

Team Leader (Current Employee) Pune

ProsGood Policies, Benefits, Best Business Head across market. Work Life Balance.

ConsHR Team specially AVP HR, PA System, IJP's

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the AVP HR.

Your last choice of employment

Consultant (Former Employee) Pune

ProsGood infrastructure and good people at the headquarter in the Des Moines but equally disapppointing people at Pune office. Some processes which are outsourced like payroll processing and payment is on time.

ConsThere are too many levels in the organization. Moment you join, you will realize your level and all the levels above you make you realize that they are there to make your life hell. If you are a hard worker, stay away because you might be disappointed by the comments like "hard work wont lead you towards growth meeting the senior management expectation would." Senior management expectations are all about song and dances in the open houses, literally. If were not good at extracurricular activities at your school/college, don't even think of getting to PGS, you might end up ruining your career and PGS culture and so called values.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the hierarchies less and change the India management completely for L1, L2 and L3 you won't miss anything and company will function as it is today and shareholder's money would be saved.

Company foundation values are strong, but extended arms of it like PGS are not able to carry it forward.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Pune

ProsGood people and colleagues. Exposure to the business environment.

ConsToo many hierarchies (managers). Limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the organization. Make managers work more and come out of "I am the Manager" and "I know it all" attitude.

Recognize the right resources and value them and help them with growth in the organization. Discourage Sycophancy.

The Best experience of my career till now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsHR Policies are the best. and am proud to be an employee of such Company.

ConsTop level management never tried to understand the problem at local level and buttering was admired.

Worked for Principal Financial Group? Contribute to the Community!