Principal Financial
www.principal.com Des Moines, IA 5000+ Employees

Principal Financial Reviews

Updated Apr 12, 2014
Principal Financial – Hong Kong – “Hong Kong Office”

Principal Financial President, CEO, and Director Larry D. Zimpleman

Larry D. Zimpleman

Pros:
  • "Flexible schedule, talented work force, work-life balance, very good culture"
    in 34 reviews
  • "Great benefits, which is nice because salaries are less than annual averages"
    in 15 reviews
Cons:
  • "Parking is a little ways away since we're located in downtown Des Moines"
    in 11 reviews
  • "could make work environment more appealing such as offering ergonomic options to offices and desks (although this is currently in progress)"
    in 6 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

best company I had found to work with!!!!

Associate Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Prosits the best company for work culture and quality of work

Consmore job opportunities will enhance company.

Good work life balance

Systems Test Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial full-time for more than 5 years

ProsI worked with Principal global services, Pune for 5 years. It's well known as sister company of Principal financial group(USA).
HR Policy are employee friendly
Less complex work.
Good work life balance
Good pay. Very domain centric, if you have good domain knowledge they u are paid well.
It is a good place for working women

ConsEmployees interests are not considered while allocating projects. Hence employes gets bored with repetitive work.
No onsite opportunities.
Growth opportunities are less.
Management isn't transparent and

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should take actions to build knowledge across team rather than letting it accumulate with one person to avoid dependencies.

Fixing in Interviews

I have been working at Principal Financial

ProsNothing as such. Only good pay on initial recruitment. Good life balance.

ConsCandidates referred by employees are getting selected even though they are not possessing required skills and good candidates are thrown out just to make room for references. Spouses and friends are being brought who are actually not worth than just trash. Specifically BA team.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook into the selection process and HR TEAM. Make the right selection otherwise it would be just garbage company.

PFG is good, PGS fails

Developer (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe review is about PGS, the Pune IT arm of PFG. Good work life balance in Pune. Good policies like cab transport, can take leave whenever you want. Many have misused the flexibility so that they did'nt need to work for years.
Direct interaction with US team helps in gaining confidence to take complex work.
This company is a very good place for those who want a very relax lifestyle , and don't care about career growth.

ConsPoor management. The IJP system is flawed and is aimed to promote sycophants.
Growth in terms of knowledge/system is discouraged.
Participation in outside work (music, songs, dance, birthday songs) is considered more important than key projects.
There are too many managers who dont understand why they exist and they pretend to know more than the HO folks. The so called L3,L2 (managers) get some one or two words from HO and then try to act as though they know it all.
A level called AVP was created to "move up the value chain", so more festivities were executed!

This company is good only for those who join managers and above. For any other level, team lead or developer, this company is only good, if you wish to take a break for 2 years from typically Indian IT service companies.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement does not understand what advice is and are grossly incompetent to understand and implement any action.

One of the Bad HR Team & Head

Team Leader (Current Employee)

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Policies, Benefits, Best Business Head across market. Work Life Balance.

ConsHR Team specially AVP HR, PA System, IJP's

Advice to Senior ManagementRemove the AVP HR.

Your last choice of employment

Consultant (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood infrastructure and good people at the headquarter in the Des Moines but equally disapppointing people at Pune office. Some processes which are outsourced like payroll processing and payment is on time.

ConsThere are too many levels in the organization. Moment you join, you will realize your level and all the levels above you make you realize that they are there to make your life hell. If you are a hard worker, stay away because you might be disappointed by the comments like "hard work wont lead you towards growth meeting the senior management expectation would." Senior management expectations are all about song and dances in the open houses, literally. If were not good at extracurricular activities at your school/college, don't even think of getting to PGS, you might end up ruining your career and PGS culture and so called values.

Advice to Senior Managementkeep the hierarchies less and change the India management completely for L1, L2 and L3 you won't miss anything and company will function as it is today and shareholder's money would be saved.

The Best experience of my career till now.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Principal Financial full-time for more than 8 years

ProsHR Policies are the best. and am proud to be an employee of such Company.

ConsTop level management never tried to understand the problem at local level and buttering was admired.

Not at all good company to work with; One of the STUPID company

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than 3 years

Pros* Salary is the only reason to join this company
* If you are lucky, you dont need to work at all and you will get all the benefits.

ConsIt's about Pune Division
* Bad work culture
* You can be fired at any time (it happened with 2 of my friends)
* No job security at all
* In a same team, few people will have
* this company should be your last option

Advice to Senior ManagementGood, innocent and hard working people were forced to resign and Managers and team leads playing key roles.

Company foundation values are strong, but extended arms of it like PGS are not able to carry it forward.

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood people and colleagues. Exposure to the business environment.

ConsToo many hierarchies (managers). Limited growth opportunities.

Advice to Senior ManagementFlatten the organization. Make managers work more and come out of "I am the Manager" and "I know it all" attitude.

Recognize the right resources and value them and help them with growth in the organization. Discourage Sycophancy.

Good for stability and Nice work life balance

Associate Consultant (Current Employee)
Pune

I have been working at Principal Financial full-time for more than a year

ProsWork life balance
Future Stability
Cool working Environmental because it is a captive Company.

ConsNot Much Tech Savy company like coders not required they need buisness people with coding knowledge.so Geeks beware.

Worked for Principal Financial? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Principal Financial reviews and ratings - including employee satisfaction and approval ratings for Principal Financial CEO Larry D. Zimpleman. All 165 reviews are posted anonymously by Principal Financial employees.