Progressive Business Publications Reviews

Updated 22 April 2015
79 reviews filtered by

Good Opinion, Community Focused

Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Executive Ed in Malvern, PA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The owner participates in a lot of community organizations and encourages paid time off for employees to participate. Great snow days because you can work from home. Casual work environment, realistic bosses usually willing to help out.

Cons

On site gym needs facelift to promote wellness, company could combine sick and vacation and give you upfront to manage.

Advice to Management

Post internal job openings so people can see there are career opportunities. More communication about business.

2. Challenging, flexible, empowering, and actually fun

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Opportunity to make a difference. Yes, you will be challenged to be good at what you do...need to be accountable, show a sense of urgency, and have a plan...specifically think with the end in mind when tackling a problem or a project. But that's what makes it empowering. There is clearly a Progressive model that has worked and that you need to learn and understand, but the opportunities to help tweak that model to make things better are there for those that can show reasons to make the changes.

Definitely a flexible work environment...I don't feel like everyone is watching my every move or worried if I came in by 8 and left after 5. What matters is the work you are doing and the impact you are having. I have the tools to work all weekend if I want, or catch up on stuff late at night, and when necessary leave a bit early to catch my kids sporting events.

The company is also committed to developing their employees. From the program designed for new employees to get acquainted with the company, other new employees, and long-standing employees, to the management training & development program recently implemented, to the Strength Finder activity they conducted, it's clear that the company is looking to advance their employees as best they can.

It doesn't hurt that we can have fun too. Numerous pizza parties, team events, tickets to sporting events, and dinner and great seats at the Walnut Street Theater all have been made available. Plus, something that doesn't get much publicity are the projects and nonprofits that Progressive supports through its charitable foundation.

Cons

Vacation time, promotions, not much natural light. Upper management should be given an office...without worrying about hurting the feelings of employees who have been around a long time. Structure could be better defined.

Advice to Management

If you are hired at a high level, you should be treated as such. Having a hierarchy is ok if the right people are Managers. Then employees will have clearer direction and things will run smoother. Cubicle walls should come down, but if doing old school cubicles than director level employees should not be sitting in a smaller cubicle than a summer intern.

Great environment for a self-motivated, energetic employee

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

Management empowers employees, you rarely feel micromanaged, friendly work environment, great opportunity for someone who wants to learn multiple facets of the publishing world

Cons

IT resources are stretched thin so it's challenging to get projects completed

Advice to Management

Increase employee vacation days

Don't fall for it, dont work here.

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

leadership, commission, freedom and experience

Cons

management
    strict
    unfair
    poor breaks
    terrible sales goals to hit
    management rude, offensive

Advice to Management

Start screening your employees!!!!

Overall positive experience; Lots of room to grow within the company.

Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA (US)
    Current Employee - Conference Producer in Malvern, PA (US)

Pros

You are never micromanaged in your position. Managers/upper-level employees check in, but allow you to do your work without breathing down your neck. There is always room to take on more job responsibilities, or work on special projects after you've established yourself there.

Cons

Salary doesn't always match your job responsibilities. Often, people will either leave/get fired, and everyone is just expected to take on more responsibilities without any increase in salary.

Advice to Management

Increase the salaries/bonus pay (for the good employees) so they don't feel overworked/under paid.

A refreshing and professional company that is interested in your ideas and encourages your best work.

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

Pros

Great work/life balance where you can go home at a reasonable time and not have to work nights or weekends. Warm and friendly work environment. Staff are rewarded and moved up based on merit, not politics. We get to provide helpful info to companies that they truly need to run their companies better; keep up in their field, etc. The commitment to philanthropy is stronger than I've seen in any company and employees can take time off during the workday if they want to volunteer for charity work. Senior management is generally open-minded and approachable.

Cons

Would be nice if the building had more windows for employees to see the outside greenery.

Advice to Management

Add more paid vacation days.

Neutral

Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Malvern, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Benefits from day one; flexible for PTO. Laid back environment.

Cons

My position was in sales; the commission on the actual sale was ridiculously low and there was tax onto of that. What is fully expected a person was not laid out.

Advice to Management

Improve internal communication. Invest in employee motivatio

Neutral opinion, whats good is great but low pay

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Howland Corners, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Business Publications part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome schedule, will work with anything you have going on: school, kids, appointments and the like. All members of management are approachable... a TRUE open door policy.

Cons

Very high turn over, I am fearful if this is the day I will be let go, every day i go in. I am into my fifth week and have seen more than 10 people let go, and even more than that just stop showing up within their first and second week. Sales is difficult and not for everybody. Pay is min wage.

Advice to Management

Take more time to coach your reps.

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We actively recruit new talent into our sales organization and are always looking for the best people. Sales is a difficult profession and we work very hard as a company to provide our reps with the ... More

Horrible

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA (US)
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in Bensalem, PA (US)

I worked at Progressive Business Publications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None come to mind, none.

Cons

Being talked to like your a special needs child just because you can't get small businesses to agree to a free trial of their horrible newsletters.

Advice to Management

Stop drinking the Kool-Aid

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

Our management team is focused on building a good company with good people. We rely on our culture and values as a part of our success. With that, we expect all managers to treat sales team members ... More

Sad place to work

I worked at Progressive Business Publications

Pros

Pros? If you still have a job.

Cons

The owner is trashing this company to keep feeding the black hole that is supposed to "his legacy." This includes senseless cost-cutting and ill-informed decision-making. It's almost funny because the owner has his mantra: "There are no good companies, just good people" -- and then proceeded to lay off several good people due to their salaries, and retained less-skilled people because they are cheaper. In the meantime, the few remaining senior people are being crushed under the workload. But they see how the laid-off people have fared (terribly), so they're willing to tolerate the abuse. It's a sad, bad situation. And it's a shame to watch a company that was so energetically and ideally built eat itself from within, on the whims of one man.

Advice to Management

The emperor has no clothes.

May 08, 2014Business Team Manager

We are very proud to have a stable workforce with over half of our employees having over 5 years of service. In the company's 50 year history we have had only a single layoff, totaling 9 people ... More

Progressive Business Publications Photos