Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated 29 January 2015
Updated 29 January 2015
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 50 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 61 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 32 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Amazing coworkers- become family. They will bend over backwards to help you. Coworkers want to see you succeed. Unbelievable team work and work ethic in the office. Employees truly care about their work product , treat the customers with respect and want to give the best service they can. If i was involved in an accident i would want progressive taking care of me.
    Gain share is great when you're hourly - but with salary after all overtime you put in it feels like $ you were already owed.

Cons

Hours, hours, hours. Stress, stress, stress. The job could be great if it wasnt for the workload. You are so overworked it becomes unhealthy. In claims you are given a ridiculous and unrealistic workload. You will skip meals many days. Management is well aware of this. Hours will go by like minutes. And 9 hour days will easily turn into 12-13 hour days. Many of my coworkers would come in an hour early to try to go home on time and end up staying an extra 3 past the end of the shift. The expectations are high. A "4" on a survey is basically a "1". managed through fear. work environment can be uptight because of this. Certain managers would publicly belittle employees. Turn over was high. Many Employees start happy, healthy and eager to learn but 6 months later they appear unhealthy and burnt out. when i was in a different postion with the company and it was hourly it wasnt this way. I'm healthy and happy again since i left. it was the most difficult and best choice I've made.

Good place to work but in a horrible city!..

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great place to work.
    Not too hard to shine

Cons

People have been there for over 20 years. Hard (almost impossible)to get into management.
    IT limited to Cleveland and Coloardo Springs.

Open the doors for internal people in IT to be managers.

Great Environment

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

The people who work there are super nice. The environment is good.

Cons

The pay rate was a little less than expected.

A Good Place for a Solid Job

Former Employee - Claims Customer Service Representative in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

-Good pay for entry-level position
    -Quality Training
    -Flexible Schedule
    -Good benefits
    -End of year bonus
    -Opportunities to move around

Cons

-Working in a call center can be monotonous
    -Need to request time off fairly far in advance for major holidays even if you have earned time off
    -Increase in requirements of job over time with no corresponding increase in pay

Claim Representative

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Miami, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Miami, FL (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for, great benefits, excellent technology. The supervisors are very friendly and listen to suggestions. There are very few other companies I would rather work for.

Cons

The hours can be long, the pay can be better, dealing with irate policyholders can be daunting and will take its toll you. When first hired you cannot take two consecutive days off.

Great environment, coworkers and pay!

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, decent starting salary compared to most other insurance companies, fun office atmosphere, and employees genuinely care.

Cons

The workload. I often feel as if I can't give each customer the attention they deserve, because I simply have too much on my plate. This leads to longer hours and more stress. The turnover rate seems to be high, most likely due to workload stress.

A good place to work for the long haul.

Current Employee - IT
    Current Employee - IT

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Very diversified work environment. Great benefits. Lots of training available. Corporate locations are very nice. Wonderful art collection, much on display. Fitness centers. Heath centers with Physicians on staff, not just a nurse. Flu shots and mamgrams at the office. Progressive has a lot to offer employees. I will say that much of the negative is from those that have not worked in many other places. The grass is Greener Syndrome.

Cons

Senior Management can be out of touch. They say open doors. Challenge everything. But in reality, go with the flow. Promotions can be tough to get. Salary raises are minimal. It's Human nature. Managers are people too.

Let the employees speak their minds with out being challenged. Cut back on the work hours. Folks are burning out.

Great company

Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Maitland, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Adjuster in Maitland, FL (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Great company. Open door policy, great people, promote from within.

Cons

Lots of work however it is manageable.

Great Culture

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Progressive has a great company culture that focuses on diversity. Employees are treated well and made to feel valued. On site amenities and benefits are a plus as well.

Cons

Company wide communication could be improved. There are also some areas that could use a better system for career advancement.

Progressive Insurance Photos