Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated 21 November 2014
Updated 21 November 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 47 reviews)

• The work environment is very friendly with healthy competition (in 60 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 28 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 25 reviews)

More Highlights

Claims Adjuster

I have been working at Progressive Insurance

Pros

Amazing coworkers- become family. They will bend over backwards to help you. Coworkers want to see you succeed. Unbelievable team work and work ethic in the office. Employees truly care about their work product , treat the customers with respect and want to give the best service they can. If i was involved in an accident i would want progressive taking care of me.
    Gain share is great when you're hourly - but with salary after all overtime you put in it feels like $ you were already owed.

Cons

Hours, hours, hours. Stress, stress, stress. The job could be great if it wasnt for the workload. You are so overworked it becomes unhealthy. In claims you are given a ridiculous and unrealistic workload. You will skip meals many days. Management is well aware of this. Hours will go by like minutes. And 9 hour days will easily turn into 12-13 hour days. Many of my coworkers would come in an hour early to try to go home on time and end up staying an extra 3 past the end of the shift. The expectations are high. A "4" on a survey is basically a "1". managed through fear. work environment can be uptight because of this. Certain managers would publicly belittle employees. Turn over was high. Many Employees start happy, healthy and eager to learn but 6 months later they appear unhealthy and burnt out. when i was in a different postion with the company and it was hourly it wasnt this way. I'm healthy and happy again since i left. it was the most difficult and best choice I've made.

Too much management drama

Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Riverview, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Riverview, FL (US)

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome fitness center and time off

Cons

Managers hire their friends who have no experience.

Great Place to Work, good team atmosphere

Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH (US)
    Former Employee - Software Quality Assurance Analyst Lead in Mayfield, OH (US)

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Team oriented, good benefits, flexible shedules depending on position, opportunities for advancement, in house training

Cons

no longer allows remote/distance work options for IT

Focus on retaining your quality resources.

IT Apps Programmer

Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have worked at Progressive for a little over a year and I can say, with confidence, that it is the best company I have worked for in my career. However, I also believe that employees get out what they put into it. In my opinion, this is not the kind of company where someone can show up for work and wait for something to do. While the project leadership will assign enough work to meet their goals, it is the responsibility of the employee to own their careers.

In the time I have been here, I have learned new frameworks, new languages, new design techniques and have been involved in community outreach programs and all without having to work excessively long hours or taking time away from my wife and children.

Additional Benefits
    - Gainshare (Performance goal-based profit sharing)
    - Flexible working environment
    - Excellent compensation
    - Training opportunities (technical, industry and Progressive-specific)
    - Work life balance
    - On site gym
    - On site healthcare services

Cons

- Health insurance offerings are very thorough plan but it is also expensive
              - We get charged a premium to insure working spouses. :-(
    - Change is slow and incremental (product of a large company)
    - Lots of process (sometimes to a fault)
    - Recruiting process is terrible!
              - Progressive is an excellent company to work for but getting your resume in front of a hiring manager can feel like an act of God. I was contacted by a recruiter because of my LinkedIn profile (not because of a job I actually applied for). Ironically, I applied for a position as a software developer 6 months prior and was rejected without any contact from a recruiter.

Keep doing what you are doing! Overall, Progressive is a place I am happy to work for and am looking forward to a long career here.

Depending on the department you work on, the experience can be fantastic

Current Employee - IT Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Excellent experience, fantastic people, benefits program is very good

Cons

Egos of upper management; Politics;

Hold people accountable to Core Values

Love it

Current Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Tampa, FL (US)
    Current Employee - Medical Claims Representative in Tampa, FL (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Employees are treated well. Good benefits. Gainshare is nice.

Cons

Establishing work/life balance is sometimes difficult in claims department.

It's ok

Former Employee - Claims Generalist
    Former Employee - Claims Generalist

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

I truly liked my coworkers. I worked with them for 7 years and missed them when I left.

Cons

If you live in California, there is no where else to go but to be a claims rep. You can make a few lateral moves but to get to the level you want, you have to go to Cleveland.

Great Culture and Flexible Work Environment

Current Employee - Senior Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Applications Programmer in Mayfield, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Gain Share(Bonus)
    6% 401k Match immediate 100% Vestment
    Flexible work schedules
    Work from home
    Competitive Compensation
    Beautiful Campus
    Free Parking Garage
    Rewards for innovation and working hard

Cons

It takes time to get into the swing of things just because there is a lot of process.
    I don't have any other cons at this point

Great Job! The positive culture and comfortable environment is something that is hard to find in Tech careers here in Cleveland. Continue to hire young outside talent with fresh ideas :)

Progressive Insurance Response

Nov 6, 2014Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your feedback. We pride ourselves on having a diverse and inclusive work culture. And, we agree that it can take time to get into the swing of things because we are a larger ... More

If you want to grow, they will help.

Current Employee - Claims Generalist Associate in Tigard, OR (US)
    Current Employee - Claims Generalist Associate in Tigard, OR (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Great training programs. Options to move up in company. Great programs for employee groups. And I have always felt comfortable to bring my family by to meet my team.

Cons

Teams and supervisors vary in how you will fit. Great open door policy to be able to work to fit though.

None

Great company, ethical to the bootstraps; an excellent culture, and room to grow.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

A very good company to work for with a great corporate culture, believable and achievable core values, with ample benefits and rewards. Progressive matches employee 401k contributions, up to 6%. The management is probably the best I've worked with in my career.

Cons

Not many cons. The availability of taking earned time off can be a challenge in some business areas.

Progressive Insurance Photos