Progressive Insurance

Progressive Insurance Reviews

Updated 17 September 2014
Updated 17 September 2014
3.6

Progressive Insurance President, CEO, and Director; Chairman and CEO, Progressive Casualty Insurance Company Glenn M. Renwick
Glenn M. Renwick

Pros
  • Management sensitive to work-life balance and work hard to accommodate each employee's situation (in 45 reviews)

• Leadership, customer focus, comfortable work environment with lots of amenities (in 56 reviews)

Cons
  • Work /life balance was challenging to maintain due to extensive work schedules (in 24 reviews)

• The current infatuation is the customer service score of which a "5" is the Holy Grail (in 20 reviews)

More Highlights

Provide Commercial Auto quotes to potential clients

Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative  in  Austin, TX (US)
    Current Employee - Commercial Sales Representative in Austin, TX (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Non competitive atmosphere, very laid back the company's main concern is providing good customer service, great benefits and job development opportunitites

Cons

If you are a very active person, you may need to change your routine to a more laid back one because you are sitting down all day

Overall, management is very aproachable and understanding

I have a good job.

Current Employee - Personal Lines Senior Processor/Underwriter  in  Mayfield Heights, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Senior Processor/Underwriter in Mayfield Heights, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've been with the company for 11 yrs. A great deal of tenured employees from all types of backgrounds. Started out in the call center, the company provides training-which is a great way to obtain your property & casusalty license. The call center there just like any other company is very busy and can build up to stress dealing with problems, billing issues, etc. from irate customers. Once I transferred into the processing division after 2.5 yrs on the phones, it was like night and day. I have a very wonderful manager who genuinely cares about employees (management can make or break you). Casual dress code (can wear jeans everday), Diversed company, Flexible Work Arrangements, I currently work from home 50% of the time which is the highlight for me. You have to keep up with your metrics or you will not be able to continue to work from home. It is not for everyone if you are not self-disciplined...don't try it. Benefits for the most part are good & cool work perks.

Cons

Allow more ETB time, personal and sick time should be separate. Holistic areas should be viewed more realistic, career development and internal job opportunities for advancement should be more gainful & plentiful, medcial insurance is way too expensive and not the greatest.

Stay and keep up with the changing times of technology, very top heavy management, FWA has saved the company from a tremendous higher turnover rate. Some change is good but not always. Listen to your valued employees and don't play politics with favoritism.

Good for a temporary job.

Former Employee - Phone Sales  in  Colorado Springs, CO (US)
    Former Employee - Phone Sales in Colorado Springs, CO (US)

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Laid back work environment great place to work.

Cons

Company says they like to hire within don't believe it. I have 15 years insurance experience and have owned m own insurance agency. I was number 1 in sales for the whole comapny in 2012 and was in the top 3% close ration that year as well. I interviewed and applied for several marketing jobs and wasn't hired for any of them. I think they like to hire people that have no clue about the insurance industry that they can mold them to their way of thinking. SO if you get a job there really no point in trying to be the best because the person next you makes the same amount of money as you do even if you are #1. Good place to work if you can't find anything else and just need something, not a career move for sure.

Pay people that preform more especially in sales.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

IT intern

Former Employee - QA Analyst  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Former Employee - QA Analyst in Cleveland, OH (US)

I worked at Progressive Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great place to work. Great culture and employees are recognized for their hard work!

Cons

In house IT. IT is not their main business

Great company to work for

Current Employee - Estimator Intermediate  in  Cleveland, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Estimator Intermediate in Cleveland, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good bonus at year-end, great people to work with, management that is always wanting to see you succeed. They seem to hire new candidates that are hard-working, with a good sense of humor.

Cons

Behind on the times in the computer technology aspect. They try to keep the work-life balance in check, but, sometimes that can be very difficult.

Great Work Environment and a Fun Place to Work

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company is growing (in 2014) and there is a lot of opportunity for advancement. Claims adjusters receive approximately 8% of their salary in a year end bonus. The job is challenging and interesting. I am not micromanaged; I am expected to produce results but I am left alone to achieve those results. I work with great people.

Cons

The company is slow to respond to changes in claims volume and delays hiring too long, which results in unmanageable workloads. The health insurance is expensive and has way too high of a deductible.

12 years customer service

Current Employee - Senior Processor  in  Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)
    Current Employee - Senior Processor in Mayfield Heights, Cuyahoga, OH (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great company to work for, ample time off and great flexible work arrangements. Good benefits and management handles employees as people and not numbers. Co workers are great and everyone is treated like family - all in all great place to work. Senior leaders make sure that everyone feels important and provide guidance in job growth - many wonderful paid programs that employees are able to attend. Progressive has a great outlook on diversity and inclusion within the work place and has many programs in place for diversity groups. Open door policy is really an open door policy - senior leadership will always find time to meet with employees. Some areas of the company work from home part time.

Cons

personal growth is difficult right now. It is sometimes difficult to get Friday's off, but the flexible work arrangements that are in place make it easy to adjust schedules. Technology is a little behind the times.

Keep doing what you are doing!

Excellent employer

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Blended  in  Riverview, FL (US)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative Blended in Riverview, FL (US)

I worked at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Progressive upholds and maintains an excellent work life balance and they offer excellent benefits. Progressive also maintains a pleasant and open work environment with excellent communication. Compared to other call centers I've both heard about and worked at, Progressive maintains a relatively lenient management style while providing excellent training and growth opportunities.

Cons

Progressive uses an interesting yet lacking profit sharing strategy which leaves something to be desired in the way of bonuses.

Revisit the profit sharing (gainshare) formula and give more to your employees.

Great company to work for

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

World class modern art collection and facilities. Good company to work for - high integrity.

Cons

Not exactly a six sigma mindset, but getting better. People are very focused on projects.

A great way to get started in insurance, but be ready to work a lot

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Savannah, GA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA (US)

I have been working at Progressive Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunity for advancement, great pay & benefits, good co-workers. I was promoted twice in a short period of time and my salary doubled.

Cons

Long days, micro management, unrealistic expectations for management and employees.

Worked for Progressive Insurance? Contribute to the Community!