Public Storage

Public Storage Reviews

Updated 4 March 2015
Updated 4 March 2015
2.8

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.
Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 14 reviews)

• There are many oppurtunity to move up after the District Manager level (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 70 reviews)

• Not once has any upper management ever looked at my goal board (in 49 reviews)

More Highlights

Good for the young & dumb

Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)
    Former Employee - Property Manager in Los Angeles, CA (US)

I worked at Public Storage

Pros

The bonus used to be a pro until they took it

Cons

You're never an actual manager they are required by law to name a manager for properties but you have no say so with other employees, "your" property, or anything at all. They will work you until you can't take anymore and want to get rid of anyone who asks that they be fair. With the schedule you never have time for anything either.

Stop acting like tyrants squeezing blood from turnips and actually do some work.

I have really enjoyed my time with Public Storage....They are a great company

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people help make this company great. Good people working together to help the company grow

Cons

It is a great company to work for and people do not want to leave. So there is a lower chance for advancement in some departments.

Continue to do what you are doing to make this company even more successful. Continue to take care of your employees.

A great and stable company to work for

Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA (US)
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Glendale, CA (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people all around. Easy going and friendly atmosphere. Convenient schedule does not interfere with life outside of work. I'm able to manage personal issues such as appointments, family emergencies, etc without too much difficulty. I'm able to get my work done without a lot of micromanagement. This is a strong company which gives more peace of mind as to job security.

Cons

Some previous perks slowly disappearing giving a more corporate feel, but still an overall great company to work for.

Wouldn't recommend

Current Employee - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Charlotte, NC (US)

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you get an apartment the low pay is not as hard to live on. Your pay is cut to minimum wage when you sign the lease but at least your bills are paid. Benefits are good but if you are regularly scheduled on a day that is one of the only 3 holidays that you will get, you don't get paid for it or offered another day off with pay.

Cons

Overuse of scripts. Management that doesn't have a clue as to what it is like to work at the properties. You will get chewed out on a regular basis for things that you have no control over. Sometimes irate customers threaten you. Forced to beg for google reviews. You work alone for the most part and are expected to do all the work at the property while at the same time be in the office and call reservations for your property and your buddy property within 5-10 minutes. There are tons of collection calls that you have to make and if your delinquency isn't where they want it to be it is your fault because, I don't know, you didn't kame enough calls. They want you to do high pressure sales of overpriced merchandise but do not give you any incentive to sell.

When I first started with the company, I loved working for Public Storage. Now with the threat of "script practice" being the only thing that seems important on visits by upper management, no one wants to be visited by upper management. We do have better things that we could be doing than regurgitating scripts. PTO-you do remember that this is for sick leave also!!!! When you chopped our PTO time we now have to decide whether we are going to take a sick day or be able to take a vacation. Please, come out and get screamed at/threatened on a regular basis, try to do the work of two people being at two places at one time, live off of the low pay and see if this job is not stressful. Then take our PTO away!!!!!

Not fun...

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

It's nice not working nights.

Cons

The company doesn't car about it's employees. Raises are a joke or non existant. Bonuses get cut smaller every year. Pushing for google reviews is out of control. Pushing for Insurance and locks and being judged on that is unfair. The properties in winter do not get cleared and we are the ones having to handle irate customers, but they still want reviews anyway. People who work hard are not rewarded and people who slack off get away with it all the time. I would not recommend this job to anyone. If you live onsite you take a pay cut, and it would be great as the apt and all utilities are included, but when it comes to raises they do it as a percentage so even if you work like crazy, you get a smaller raise because your pay is less to begin with. You are not paid based on your performance at all.

Treat your employees fairly passed on their work.

Too much Turnover

Former Employee - Manager
    Former Employee - Manager

I worked at Public Storage full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Compensation and job security are good because of the amount of work and growth in the company

Cons

Unfortunately, that growth leads to an unbalanced work/life relationship that leads to complete burn out. Then you realize that you're working 60 hrs a week with weekends to keep up with the responsibilities that come with the job

When the CEO tells the company employees that they're puking cash while they continually cut back your phone allowance, offer no perks, cut/scrutinize travel expenses that you finance on your own credit card, offer minimal raises,---You see the disconnect between the those that are in the trenches at these locations/projects vs Glendale

For the salary not sure if it's worth it

I have been working at Public Storage

Pros

Some offer onsite apartments, which they will deduct 2/hr from your pay to live. All utilities included.
    Hours are 9:30-6 weekdays, and 9:30-5 weekends
    Little supervision

Cons

Hourly rate
    Underpaid for what is expected
    Micromanaging
    Company is greedy and can careless for property employees.

You guys are greedy and should care more about the people who generate all your revenue. The hourly rate is horrible for what you expect out of us...if I didn't live onsite I would of been quit. I'm a top performer in my district for the last 3 years and the bonuses are a joke.

Would be a great job

Former Employee - Relief Manager in Annapolis, MD (US)
    Former Employee - Relief Manager in Annapolis, MD (US)

I worked at Public Storage full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Very easy basics and schedule

Cons

Try selling things to people that they dont need or want.

Locks, come on. People are not dumb don't try and sell them locks for double markup. Also dont judge employees on their LOCK SALES. are you serious? also the insurance...judging the people on that also..telling people to LIE?! thanks.

Ok if you want a stable job and don't want to work late nights.

I have been working at Public Storage full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

On site apartments, you work no later than 6pm, you will never have to worry about company layoffs. Public Storage is debt free!!!

Cons

Too many unrealistic expectations from upper management. Could be a better company if they walked a mile in our shoes sometimes....

Try to reach out more to the little people!!! We are the drive train of this company!!!!