Public Storage

www.publicstorage.com

Public Storage Reviews

Updated Jul 25, 2014

Public Storage Vice Chairman, President, and CEO; Chairman, President, and CEO, PS Business Parks Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Ronald L. Havner Jr.

Pros
  • So you have a good work/life balance if you have things to get taken care of after 6pm (in 12 reviews)

• Working alone and having office/steady hours are about it (in 15 reviews)

Cons
  • Being a property manager is a difficult task with a lot of responsibility (in 65 reviews)

• All upper management is hired from outside the company and are trained by (in 45 reviews)

More Highlights

Property Manager

Resident Property/Manager (Current Employee) Gaithersburg, MD (US)

ProsThe district managers at this company are hands-on and always there to help.
    The apartment that is offered is great incentive to become property manager.

ConsVery pushy sales practices. Dealing with irate customers can be very unsafe at times. If I was unable to have a home security system, I would not live on the property. Pay is 9/hr when you are a property manager. If you were to get an off-site apartment and get paid regular, you would even out pretty much the same. Relief Managers rarely work at same location in the district, so there is quite a bit of travel to different locations. The company doesn't like to shell out too much money for maintenance.

Although my incentive compensation was good, the stress of the job was not worth it.

District Manager Public Storage (Former Employee) San Diego, CA (US)

ProsGood stock incentive program. The potential bonus incentive helps offset the relatively low base pay. I had a good mentor who was in a similar position. Mentoring is a company best practice.

ConsPoor working conditions, especially for the hourly Property Managers & Assistant Property Managers. Many times they do not get the opportunity to take 10-minute breaks. The company looks the other way in enforcing that employees get to take their breaks. Many of the self-storage properties do not have breakrooms for the employees. In those situations, the employees may have to eat in their cars, or in the office, which can lead to interuptions when a customer knocks on a locked office door.

For the salaried multi-unit positions, there is absolutely no work-life balance. They have to work 6-7 days a week and even then, find it difficult to stay caught up. Calls are fielded from customers at all hours (evenings & weekends). The company has a practice of eliminating the bottom 25% of employees at each level in the organization chart. It does not matter if you had a good prior year. Your area could have one bad quarter, and your job is at risk.

I had employees threatened by customers and had to work with legal counsel in getting restraining orders. My life was threatened as well by two customers. The self-storage industry is a tough one.

As far as Leadership at the company goes, they do maximize the return of the shareholder., but that comes at a cost. Customer service is poor, customers' rate increases are abundant, repairs at the properties are put off and the working conditions are poor.

My employees and I never saw any communication from Corporate Human Resources. It's the most silent department in the Company.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at your employee turnover.

Want to work for a stressful place and forget that you have family and kids then Join this company

Systems Analyst (Former Employee)

ProsFair compensation, if you do a good job they give you year end bonuses and recognition for your work

ConsThey expect you to work more than 8 hours a day, 7 days a week. I understand there were time when a fire drill happened like the network was down, the phone system was not able to receive calls then you must be all hands on deck. But come on you were called on holiday because your manager had a stupid question and can't wait until Monday. I have no personal life.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance, if you wonder why every one quit on you after a year it was because there is no life after work if you work here.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

District Manager is really a manager

District Manager (Current Employee)

ProsStock when I was hired with a three year vestment. Other than that, as I look back at my two years there I see no pros.

ConsAlthough they only hire experienced DMs I found the DMs who had been there the longest where ones who had never worked for a decent company in the past. This job is really a management job where you manage hourly employees who have no authority to make any decisions. The Senior DM is really the DM managing you, the manager.
    Work life balance is the absolute worst and a complete joke. You aRe expected to log in every day to make sure you employees made it to work. This means forget church, workouts, camping with no wifi, etc. God forbid one of your lame hourly employees call in sick at the last minute, show up late for work, or quit and you don't get your property opened up on time. The. An email goes out to every level of mgmt and if you didn't prereport it you are screwed.
    Summers you are expected to work six days a week for about three months with no other compensated day off. You literally have to send in reports several times a day on Saturdays and sometimes Sundays during this time reporting units rented, locks sold, etc. What a joke and another way for them to make your life miserable.
    Car mileage is a joke. I know it is the law but if you don't live near your territory you will be screwed.
    Management--- I don't know where to start. This is the most micro managed company you will ever work for. The CEO and upper management
    have their hand in everything from approvals to pay repairs on dilapidated storage units to 24/ 7 tabs on all their employees. They have huge egos And treat their employees poorly
    The regional meetings are unbelievable. The regional and seniors will literally practice their DM meeting presentations for hours so when the CEO and whoever else decides to attend their meeting, don't chastise them for having a bad meeting. We had a DM once who got fired because the CEO reported her to the rvp that she took her shoes off under the table during the meeting. True story !
    The annual reviews are a complete joke. The RVPs have to spend a week in California presenting their dm reviews to the CEO. What CEO has the time to manage every DM in the company! It is a complete dog and pony show.

I don't know where to stop so I'll stop here. Don't take a job here. It was a complete waste of my time. I was not fired or forced out by any means just got tired of working for such a crappy company

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance! Promote hourlys from within. Treat your management with respect, don't just demand it by scaring them all

ok job to start

Property Manager (Former Employee) Orlando, FL (US)

Prostop company in the industry

Consnot a career just a job

Advice to Senior Managementraising the payment to property managers who work hard

Could be better

Relief Manager (Current Employee)

Prosyou don't really have to do much once you figure out how to organize your day, the schedule is always sent out in advance so you can make plans. Good work life balance.

Consno security.....I always feel unsafe coming to work at certain locations because anybody and everybody (including bums that rent there) can come in and they always make me and other tenants feel uncomfortable.

bad pay....they pay you 9/hr and you work full time.....you work a lot to get a bad check that you can get at a part time job.

dishonest company......let's just say this company will leave you always looking like the bad guy to renting tenants because you're the only one they can see and complain to about rent rising and other horrible things they act like they can't fix.

upper management is pretty much a bunch of inexperienced rich people who just want you to do things the PS way (which is not the right way)

Life experience

ProsLaid back relaxing pace job.

ConsRequired to do more than three duties on the job combining as two full time jobs for little pay.

Do not ruin your resume being a District Manager for Public Storage

District Manager (Former Employee)

ProsThe salary is very good. Bonuses are great if they don't fire you before you can collect.

ConsThis is a temporary job. There is a 90% turn on the DM position. Public Storage constantly hires "Bench District Managers" to learn the job of a DM and then take over when one is fired. Within 2 years I watched over 20 District Managers get fired for no reason. You will sign an agreement that you agree you can be terminated for no reason at any time. Taking a job with PS will ruin your resume because it will show a short length of time and it is bottom barrel multi level management working for a storage company. Do not let the one year of a good salary tempt you. Public Storage has a "No references allowed" policy, so do not expect a reference upon your departure. Regional Vice Presidents do not want anyone good to stand out and possibly take their job, so they fire you. Even if you are one of the very top performers in consecutive quarters - you will be fired. #1 They don't want to give out raises and bonuses to those doing so well and there are 3 or 4 fully trained "Bench DM's" waiting for placement. #2 The Regionals do not want a DM to outshine them. #3 It's difficult to build a team of successful YOY Property Managers because Public Storage does not promote Property Managers. As a DM you will have to find and hire people that are ok with being paid $9.50 per hour with zero chance of advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote from within, design a real HR department. Stop with the vicious circle of having Bench DMs waiting to take over when successful DMs are fired because you don't want to pay out bonuses.

Unethical and driven by Greed.

Property Manager (Former Employee) New York, NY (US)

ProsRelationships you make with some customers.

ConsI could go into details but I won't. Trust me. Stay away.
    In a nutshell this is Public Storage.
    "a study by Northwestern University Kellogg School of Management has shown that when a culture is numbers driven it often leads to selfish, and unethical behavior"

Advice to Senior ManagementYou only care about making your bonus.You are the epitome of what has become of this country.
    I could not believe some of the things I saw while working for your company. A good portion of your DM's and SDM's are basically lying bullies.

My experience was neutral.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsMy experience at Public Storage can be described as neutral. There were both good and bad aspects to the company. The work is fairly easy.

ConsI wouldn't really recommend this for personal growth. The company is okay but career is not fulfilling. The corporation has some sketchy aspects.

Worked for Public Storage? Contribute to the Community!